Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,360 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake (11745 Views)

With 221 Killed Since May 29, Is Boko Haram Back In Full Force?-"cablenews / Checkout The T-shirts Trending Towards Democracy Day May 29th. / Tinubu: "Election Postponement Is Democracy At Gunpoint" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by 3ace(m): 7:31pm On Jun 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Sentimental about what ? OBJ handed over to shagari in 1979 and that day didn't earn the title of democracy day,what's special about May 29 when Abdul salam handed over to him ? Did you know how many igbos and northerners including yorubas that die because of June 12 ? Well I won't blame you lots,you lacked knowledge of history possibly you weren't even born then and was only being told what happened but your in-born hatred for yorubas won't let you learn from history.
Maybe it's because May 29th is the latest Handover date for democratically elected president. But as for me, I'm indifferent on the issue. I appreciate the fact that Chief M.K.O Abiola sacrificed his life while trying to rescue us from the hands if the Military but emmm....infact, this whole argument complex jare. But one thing I know is that M.K.O would be glad if this country becomes great again. So let's work together and keep his dream alive.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Controversy: 7:31pm On Jun 11, 2013
madam_oringo:

Well, give that advice to yourself, you need it MORE! Prof. Soyinka has no reason to argue, he was there, live, were you? Are you so bereft of mental capacity not to know that by declaring which day is the REAL Democracy day, June 12, he is telling YOU and NIGERIANS which day is the RIGHT ONE? Or do you expect him to descend to the level of a toddler mind like you to say, "here is the R-I-G-H-T and here is the W-R-O-N-G", etc? So everything OBJ did is right when it feeds into the hatefest frenzy of Ibos towards the Yorubas, a people they can not like because they boss them COMPLETELY, without even arguing or seeming to pay attention to Ibos always trying to "measure-up"? Well, OBJ was right in spending N 16 Tr for roads during his years including roads in ibo land, appropriating 60 B for your still-born 2nd Niger bridge which is yet to even see a single shovel digging the ground? I hope he was right in those circumstances too!

Madam_oringo did Igbos hate your hero more than your elders even at point of his death
*********Lagos—Major Hamza Al-Mustapha, former Chief Security Officer (CSO) to the late Head of State, Sani Abacha, made startling disclosures in court on Monday on how Abacha and Moshood Abiola were killed in 1998.
He said former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, offered huge sums of money to Yoruba leaders to appease them over Abiola's death.
Abacha died on June 8, 1998, and Abiola, winner of the Presidential election held on June 12, 1993, died in incarceration on July 7, 1998.
Al-Mustapha, who is standing trial over alleged complicity in the murder of Abiola's wife, Kudirat, on June 4, 1996 said he has been incarcerated since 1998 because of the top secret in his possession.
He opened his defence before Justice Mojisola Dada of the Lagos High Court, where he accused Abdulsalami of masterminding his perpetual detention.
Al-Mustapha - led in evidence by his lawyer, Olalekan Ojo - broke down in tears when he told the court that he has both audio and video evidence on how Abacha and Abiola were murdered.
He said Abdulsalami is living in fear that he would divulge information, hence the man wants him to spend the rest of his life behind bars.
His words: "In the course of this testimony, I wish to say that I will omit any issue that will affect the national security of the country as a serving officer of the Nigerian Army.
"My incarceration was as a result of a script written and acted out by (Abdulsalami) to further keep me in prison.
"First, were the events that happened after the murder of (Abacha) and (Abiola). For fear that I may divulge information that led to their death; they have to keep me in prison."
Al-Mustapha, who told the court that he was enlisted in the Army in 1980, said he served in various units before his appointment as Abacha's CSO.
According to him, there is documentary evidence that after the death of Abiola, Abubakar allegedly ordered that various sums of money be withdrawn from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), including $200 million,75 million, and N500 million to appease South West leaders and douse tension.
http://www.google.com/petroleum/?aa_source=main-nav-t2
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by ajanaku2(m): 7:33pm On Jun 11, 2013
madam_oringo:

Knock it off! You are a tribalist and you know why you would rather not consider June 12 Democracy day! It screams everything about the icon of that struggle, Chief M.K.O Abiola, a Yorubaman, Aare Ona Kakanfo! Recognizing such a day goes completely against the propagandist narrative that your tribe, the ibos, are special or better than every other part of Nigeria! Chief Abiola chose rather to return to Nigeria and resolutely defend a mandate given by the people to the end, this is something any Ibo man will NEVER do or has ever done! This is why you'd rather not have or mention June 12 and Democracy day in the same sentence! It doesn't matter anyway! For most right thinking people with a mind for equity, justice and egalitarianism, they will recognize that June 12 and Chief Abiola are iconic, and though they may be upset that Yoruba Military Generals and Commanders stopped anything called biafra and the strongest ibo man ever known Ojukwu fled cross-dressed as a pussi-sissy for over a decade (13 years), Chief Abiola deserves A LOT OF credit and recognition for paying the supreme price and sacrificing himself for the struggle! I bet you were a little kid or unborn in those dark days for then, you would have an idea of how a society could be oppressed under tyrannical leadership!

If you live in the South West of the Yoruba, a people who were already in civilization during the medieval times, a confident, measured and proudly proud of their ancestral heritage, the sacrifice of their fathers, a sophisticated, astute and militarily superior people, you will have to observe our holidays! grin grin If you don't like it, go back to whatever backwater burg you sprang from!

Most people aren't even aware that this Philanthropist called Abiola had a First class honours degree in Accountancy from the University of Glasgow, Scotland; a distinction from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland...

He was also a Member of My institute, the number one professional body in Nigeria; the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN)...

He was indeed an Omowe!
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Controversy: 7:57pm On Jun 11, 2013
ajanaku2:

Most people aren't even aware that this Philanthropist called Abiola had a First class honours degree in Accountancy from the University of Glasgow, Scotland; a distinction from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland...

He was also a Member of My institute, the number one professional body in Nigeria; the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN)...

He was indeed an Omowe!

Is that all?

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jun 11, 2013
Ola Johnson:
WS is not trying to immortalize MKO but the day, June 12.
On the issue of problem that greeted the renaming of UNILAG, it was unfortunate. It is not proper for anything to be named after an Are Ona Kakanfo.

but u understand wat i told u? Every other thing remains secondary.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by vanbonattel: 10:09pm On Jun 11, 2013
3ace:
Maybe it's because May 29th is the latest Handover date for democratically elected president. But as for me, I'm indifferent on the issue. I appreciate the fact that Chief M.K.O Abiola sacrificed his life while trying to rescue us from the hands if the Military but emmm....infact, this whole argument complex jare. But one thing I know is that M.K.O would be glad if this country becomes great again. So let's work together and keep his dream alive.

MKO would have been the worst president in this god forsaken country.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by crackhouse(m): 10:44pm On Jun 11, 2013
can i say it's a mental degradation?
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by vanbonattel: 10:49pm On Jun 11, 2013
ajanaku2:

He was indeed an Omowe!

He also looted state funds with ITT, and the rest of his padi padi business
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jun 11, 2013
Slizbeat: June 12 cannot be democracy day. When Abiola's election victory was shattered, did we receive the dividend of democracy?
Stop trying to impose june 12 on the masses, impose it on the south west for all I care. Till today, there is and have never been a democracy day. What is democracy without its dividend? May 29 and June 12 are fake. I still buy fuel for my generator, I still make use of torch at night, I sometimes enter boats in a commercial road like ejigbo, so what democracy are talking about?
To me, we never had a democracy and wouldn't have had even if it was June 12. That day was only an attempt. June 12 is a south-western public holiday, while May 29 is a fake democratic celebration mostly celebrated by the high and mighty in the Nigerian community.
This is a such a simplistic stupidistic comment. By harping on June 12, Soyinka is indirectly saying "uphold the will nd welfare of the people." Too sad you don't understand that.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Kingspin(m): 11:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
I have ask myself several questions about june 12 and concluded with 100% that it calls for only remembrance, pz soyinka and co think about it very well before una go public.It doesnt what democracy day simply history.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Chidoxyl(m): 1:00am On Jun 12, 2013
Democracy Day? June 23rd, ofcos! This is so because it is d day me, a DEMOCRAT was born.

Case dismissed!
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by ImperialMcHael(m): 1:10am On Jun 12, 2013
ezex:
It was the day the government of the people by the people and for the people was elected.And this is what democracy meansy
in my own opinion, (and without interfering in any tribal uprising online - as it were)
I believe making a day on which democracy was publicly murdered the Democracy Day is a disgrace and further mockery to democracy itself. Had the story recorded a better ending, it could have been very appropriate.
But as it stands, Soyinka missed it big!
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 1:44am On Jun 12, 2013
Democracy day should either be the date the first democratically elected president was sworn in, or the day the first democratic president was overthrown.

Otherwise how do you choose from : June 12th ( MKO lost mandate), May 29th (1999 return to civilian rule) or July 11th (1979 return to civilian rule)?
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Lincolnburrows(m): 1:55am On Jun 12, 2013
Wole Soyinka= overrated noise maker
My take: such suggestions sounds more silly than a five year old would make. Abiola didn't even win that election (never proven he did ). In my own opinion, tofa won the election hands down. So you guys could declare public holidays for one week for me to rest and not to honor abiola. Who cares.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by BekeeBuAgbara: 2:55am On Jun 12, 2013
iykak47: Madam bingo if you are not careful the hatered you have on Igbos will cause you heart attack
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by whitecat007: 3:56am On Jun 12, 2013
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

madam_oringo:

Knock it off! You are a tribalist and you know why you would rather not consider June 12 Democracy day! It screams everything about the icon of that struggle, Chief M.K.O Abiola, a Yorubaman, Aare Ona Kakanfo! Recognizing such a day goes completely against the propagandist narrative that your tribe, the ibos, are special or better than every other part of Nigeria! Chief Abiola chose rather to return to Nigeria and resolutely defend a mandate given by the people to the end, this is something any Ibo man will NEVER do or has ever done! This is why you'd rather not have or mention June 12 and Democracy day in the same sentence! It doesn't matter anyway! For most right thinking people with a mind for equity, justice and egalitarianism, they will recognize that June 12 and Chief Abiola are iconic, and though they may be upset that Yoruba Military Generals and Commanders stopped anything called biafra and the strongest ibo man ever known Ojukwu fled cross-dressed as a pussi-sissy for over a decade (13 years), Chief Abiola deserves A LOT OF credit and recognition for paying the supreme price and sacrificing himself for the struggle! I bet you were a little kid or unborn in those dark days for then, you would have an idea of how a society could be oppressed under tyrannical leadership!

If you live in the South West of the Yoruba, a people who were already in civilization during the medieval times, a confident, measured and proudly proud of their ancestral heritage, the sacrifice of their fathers, a sophisticated, astute and militarily superior people, you will have to observe our holidays! grin grin If you don't like it, go back to whatever backwater burg you sprang from!
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 5:00am On Jun 12, 2013
van bonattel:

MKO would have been the worst president in this god forsaken country.
What a fallacy of hasty conclusion.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 5:03am On Jun 12, 2013
van bonattel:

He also looted state funds with ITT, and the rest of his padi padi business
What do you know about ITT?
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 5:09am On Jun 12, 2013
Imperial McHæl:
in my own opinion, (and without interfering in any tribal uprising online - as it were)
I believe making a day on which democracy was publicly murdered the Democracy Day is a disgrace and further mockery to democracy itself. Had the story recorded a better ending, it could have been very appropriate.
But as it stands, Soyinka missed it big!
You think you know when you don't anything. Go back to history, democracy, as it were, wasn't 'murdered' that day but exercised. For your information, it was a saturday when Nigerians came out to cast their votes in the election that is believed to be the freest and farest in our history.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 5:15am On Jun 12, 2013
Lincoln burrows: Wole Soyinka= overrated noise maker
My take: such suggestions sounds more silly than a five year old would make. Abiola didn't even win that election (never proven he did ). In my own opinion, tofa won the election hands down. So you guys could declare public holidays for one week for me to rest and not to honor abiola. Who cares.
As your moniker implies, you're big but don't know what you are supposed to know. Remember how the little brother of Lincoln Burrows, Michael Scoffield was always teaching him in Prison Break.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 7:08am On Jun 12, 2013
Abiola died a shameful death as a result of his many sins. A coward who fought the military without throwing a punch even with all his wealth, died like a common criminal in cage
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by TabletMan: 7:29am On Jun 12, 2013
Abali1:
Ana akukwa aka eba a? Nairaland Kuba nu aka.
Madam I dey clap for you here. I know no say you fit write like KONGI. This is what Oyibo people call BEAUTIFUL NONSENSE.
Bro You Won't kill mua with laff grin grin i don laff belle ful
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by hotwax: 8:03am On Jun 12, 2013
Controversy:

Is that all?

Tell us about Ojukwo without the record of his gunnery and Agberoism.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Abali1(m): 8:31am On Jun 12, 2013
"Now NPN went for their national convention in Kano and Umaru Dikko, he is alive, he said the presidential candidate of the NPN is not for sale. MKO Abiola wanted the presidential ticket he didn’t get it and he then came and aligned with the military people who now came in. And IBB came and set up two political parties, Shehu Yar‘adua, Adamu Ciroma and other major contenders in SDP and NRC, overnight the military disqualified all of them, aided and abetted by MKO Abiola. Because if Yar‘adua were (involved) there was no way MKO would have won. He was not even in contention until the disqualification of these major contenders. That is why I said that June 12 was a repayment for evil that was done against other people."

Quote by Senator Roland Stephen Owie

www.nairaland.com/1321640/annulment-payment-abiola-evil-deeds#16199682
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Abali1(m): 8:52am On Jun 12, 2013
Itoroetti :

By Emmanuel Aziken, Political Editor
Former member of the House of Representatives,
former Senate Chief Whip and chieftain of the
Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Rowland Stephen
Owie says the annulment of the June 12, 1993
presidential election was a divine recompense for
Abiola’s alleged past political misdeeds.

Who is that politician or group of politicians that
aided the military to take over the government of
President Shehu Shagari in 1983 after the NPN
convention?
Who is that
politician that aided the military in disqualifying
all the major candidates of SDP and NRC?
I say if they can answer it and the answer is
negative for MKO Abiola, then the annulment of
June 12 is evil.

you can’t plant
mango and reap yam.

Awolowo of UPN had met and we had all met. But
three days to the Electoral College Obasanjo
removed the clause on Electoral College; he
removed the goal post within the run of play.
Awolowo had no other option and he had to go to court and the judgment gave rise to
the issue of 12 2/3! A human being cannot be half, he is either full or… and that is why Justice
Sowemimo said that that judgment cannot be quoted in future.

Abiola and Obasanjo were involved as Egbas to remove that clause. Concord brought the headline “Maroko land: Awolowo where is your sincerity”. We were in Minna when it was published. Look it deflated the old man, it scattered him, in fact, he was no longer himself and he started battling how to explain.

MKO Abiola wanted the presidential ticket he didn’t get it and he then came and aligned with the military people who now came in.
And IBB came and set up two political parties, Shehu Yar‘adua, Adamu Ciroma and other major
contenders in SDP and NRC, overnight the military disqualified all of them, aided and abetted by
MKO Abiola. Because if Yar‘adua were (involved)
there was no way MKO would have won. He was not even in contention until the disqualification of these major contenders. That is why I said that June 12 was a repayment for evil that was done
against other people.

What happened was a repayment for evil.

The annulment served Abiola right, quote me!
You cannot be destroying other people and expect to have victory. There is a parable that all
those who destroy other people will end up having destruction at the hour of their victory.

MKO should not have expected anything less. Tell
me, was it justified for Shehu Musa Yar‘adua and
Falae in the SDP to be disqualified? What did they
do? Was it justified for Adamu Ciroma and co in the NRC to be disqualified?
What did they do?
They were all disqualified in both parties so that MKO Abiola who was a friend of the military could
emerge as the strongest candidate.
It was no secret that he paraded himself as a friend of the military. That man could not have
expected to become president of Nigeria when he
had ruined many people.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/annulment-was-payment-for-abiolas-evil-deeds-sen-owie/
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 12, 2013
#Oro nla l'eda eh, oro nla l'eda. Eyin t'epa Abiola, ti e je o bo si ipo, oro nla l'eda#
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Abali1(m): 8:59am On Jun 12, 2013
Ola Johnson: #Oro nla l'eda eh, oro nla l'eda. Eyin t'epa Abiola, ti e je o bo si ipo, oro nla l'eda#
please read up the history of OUR GREAT AARE ONA KAKANFO
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 12, 2013
Abali1:
please read up the history of OUR GREAT AARE ONA KAKANFO
I've read that before, the question is, this he win the election or not?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria / Jibrin Links Omisore To Budget Padding Controversy / Is Nnamdi Kanu Preparing For War? See The Armored Tank He Poses With .PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.