Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,355 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake (11744 Views)

With 221 Killed Since May 29, Is Boko Haram Back In Full Force?-"cablenews / Checkout The T-shirts Trending Towards Democracy Day May 29th. / Tinubu: "Election Postponement Is Democracy At Gunpoint" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
Abbott: It is quite unfortunate that the poor culture of record keeping is responsible for some careless comments in this thread.
The significance of June 12 is not what should be waved off by hand.
The importance of this day should be sacred and honoured. It indicated a vulnerable revealation of unity...all over Nigeria...that was assaulted.
It was the beginning of every good thing, that was aborted.
Careless archiving and miseducation is responsible for some careless and thoughtless comments I've read here. I do not intend to lecture here...let this day be held in the honour it deserves...democracy day or not.
Will the labours & struggles of heroes past not honoured give you the assurance that labours & struggles of heroes present will not be in vain? Think about it.

Careless archiving and poor education may be responsible but I think distortion of history and tribalism have contributed more to the problem.You can see from the number of ignorant posts here !

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Kalamaya: 4:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva: How can June 12 be democracy day? What's even the rationale behind such thoughts.
To me the rationale behind this june 12 issue as a suitable day is more sentimental than the main purpose that some religions and ethnic group are trying to portray it. The way they are going about it will make the issue quickly goes out from the mind of nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by abouzaid: 4:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
How does the date affect the price of garri? Rubbish. The type of nonsense that make frontpage thesedays

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Desola(f): 4:10pm On Jun 11, 2013
Abali1:
PROUDLY AKOKITE.

Lol, what an irony!
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 11, 2013
taiyesoul:

"intellectual burden?",who the hell are u?.Refering to a Nobel Laurette as an "intellectual burden?".Can u stand him in any way?.who the hell are u?.Has your eduactional background surpassed his acheivement?.70 years ago,where were u?.Dont u have manners at all?.A man like Soyinka stressing the significance and importance of Nigeria's cradle of democratic governance and a demented mind like yours could make such utterances about him!.I guess you are being tribalistic and miopic here.if you need the dividends of democracy,why not contact Jonathan?.No be una vote am there?.Sit there pursuing your shadow,waiting for what your country can do for you rather than what you can do to make a difference.

Go and sit down biko.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by ajiifixing(m): 4:31pm On Jun 11, 2013
madam_oringo:

Knock it off! You are a tribalist and you know why you would rather not consider June 12 Democracy day! It screams everything about the icon of that struggle, Chief M.K.O Abiola, a Yorubaman, Aare Ona Kakanfo! Recognizing such a day goes completely against the propagandist narrative that your tribe, the ibos, are special or better than every other part of Nigeria! Chief Abiola chose rather to return to Nigeria and resolutely defend a mandate given by the people to the end, this is something any Ibo man will NEVER do or has ever done! This is why you'd rather not have or mention June 12 and Democracy day in the same sentence! It doesn't matter anyway! For most right thinking people with a mind for equity, justice and egalitarianism, they will recognize that June 12 and Chief Abiola are iconic, and though they may be upset that Yoruba Military Generals and Commanders stopped anything called biafra and the strongest ibo man ever known Ojukwu fled cross-dressed as a pussi-sissy for over a decade (13 years), Chief Abiola deserves A LOT OF credit and recognition for paying the supreme price and sacrificing himself for the struggle! I bet you were a little kid or unborn in those dark days for then, you would have an idea of how a society could be oppressed under tyrannical leadership!

If you live in the South West of the Yoruba, a people who were already in civilization during the medieval times, a confident, measured and proudly proud of their ancestral heritage, the sacrifice of their fathers, a sophisticated, astute and militarily superior people, you will have to observe our holidays! grin grin If you don't like it, go back to whatever backwater burg you sprang from!

13 solid years!!!!!!
I bet when he returned ,he had to learn ibo language again. LOL
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by emamos: 4:32pm On Jun 11, 2013
Oponu=Pee2k3]Prof pls wake up frm ur sleep[color=#006600]=Pee2k
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 11, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Go and sit down biko.
Is it because he is not refering to Chinua Achebe? How was the sit-at-home exercise of Saturday, and hope you're not observing a stand-in-the-sun exercise to get customers/clients to make up Saturday's loss? Just asking, as a caring guy.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 11, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I pity you, using that for a renown professor of Comparative Literature of close to 50 years.

u too go and sit down. We are not talking abt his duration of professorship, we are discussing the thrash he has spewed .

Unilag was named after Abiola (because of what happened in 1993 or so), u guys refused. So, y is one of u bringing him up for immortalization again.
The same way u lost to Tambuwal when u had d opportunity, dats how u lost dis one too. May 29th remains democracy day

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by adaobasi(f): 4:37pm On Jun 11, 2013
If the western part of nija wishes to celebrate their hero,MKO on june 12 that's ok.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by EkoIle1: 4:37pm On Jun 11, 2013
madam_oringo:

Knock it off! You are a tribalist and you know why you would rather not consider June 12 Democracy day! It screams everything about the icon of that struggle, Chief M.K.O Abiola, a Yorubaman, Aare Ona Kakanfo! Recognizing such a day goes completely against the propagandist narrative that your tribe, the ibos, are special or better than every other part of Nigeria! Chief Abiola chose rather to return to Nigeria and resolutely defend a mandate given by the people to the end, this is something any Ibo man will NEVER do or has ever done! This is why you'd rather not have or mention June 12 and Democracy day in the same sentence! It doesn't matter anyway! For most right thinking people with a mind for equity, justice and egalitarianism, they will recognize that June 12 and Chief Abiola are iconic, and though they may be upset that Yoruba Military Generals and Commanders stopped anything called biafra and the strongest ibo man ever known Ojukwu fled cross-dressed as a pussi-sissy for over a decade (13 years), Chief Abiola deserves A LOT OF credit and recognition for paying the supreme price and sacrificing himself for the struggle! I bet you were a little kid or unborn in those dark days for then, you would have an idea of how a society could be oppressed under tyrannical leadership!

If you live in the South West of the Yoruba, a people who were already in civilization during the medieval times, a confident, measured and proudly proud of their ancestral heritage, the sacrifice of their fathers, a sophisticated, astute and militarily superior people, you will have to observe our holidays! grin grin If you don't like it, go back to whatever backwater burg you sprang from!

This is real massacre.... Poor afam and his bigoted ways.. that' odiousness oozes out of his pores liked infectious disease...
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jun 11, 2013
I remember how the Igbo were always using "June 12" as a derogatory term to refer to the Yoruba in Port Harcourt.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Desola(f): 4:41pm On Jun 11, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Is it because he is not refering to Chinua Achebe? How was the sit-at-home exercise of Saturday, and hope you're not observing a stand-in-the-sun exercise to get customers/clients to make up Saturday's loss? Just asking, as a caring guy.

Lol
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Desola(f): 4:42pm On Jun 11, 2013
Eko Ile:

This is real massacre.... Poor afam and his bigoted ways.. that's odiousness oozes out of his pores liked infectious disease...

Total annihilation!

I love it !
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by yetunsbay(m): 4:45pm On Jun 11, 2013
Abali1:
If OBJ thought that the Nobel Laurette's opinion was necessary, why then did he not listen to the ALMIGHTY KONGI?
Abeg ohhh, leave Igbos out of this. It was OBJ that decided to give Nigeria29 May as democracy day.
that's y Soyinka is asking u to ruminate abt it...whc is bst
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 11, 2013
ngozievergreen:

u too go and sit down. We are not talking abt his duration of professorship, we are discussing the thrash he has spewed .

Unilag was named after Abiola (because of what happened in 1993 or so), u guys refused. So, y is one of u bringing him up for immortalization again.
The same way u lost to Tambuwal when u had d opportunity, dats how u lost dis one too. May 29th remains democracy day
WS is not trying to immortalize MKO but the day, June 12.
On the issue of problem that greeted the renaming of UNILAG, it was unfortunate. It is not proper for anything to be named after an Are Ona Kakanfo.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by yetunsbay(m): 4:48pm On Jun 11, 2013
Ola Johnson:
bro u bad gan cool
Ola Johnson:
bro u bad gan
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by EkoIle1: 4:50pm On Jun 11, 2013
Abbott: It is quite unfortunate that the poor culture of record keeping is responsible for some careless comments in this thread.
The significance of June 12 is not what should be waved off by hand.
The importance of this day should be sacred and honoured. It indicated a vulnerable revealation of unity...all over Nigeria...that was assaulted.
It was the beginning of every good thing, that was aborted.
Careless archiving and miseducation is responsible for some careless and thoughtless comments I've read here. I do not intend to lecture here...let this day be held in the honour it deserves...democracy day or not.
Will the labours & struggles of heroes past not honoured give you the assurance that labours & struggles of heroes present will not be in vain? Think about it.

@ Abbott. Very well said...

Very well said. Its rather unfortunate that this idea of heroes past and hero generally is foreign to some people because they don't have any worthy hero and the closest was a coward who used and dumped them for dead on the battle field so their usual puerile attitude and low self esteem is quite understandable.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Praisemuyi(m): 4:52pm On Jun 11, 2013
Presidency is temporary but family is permanent. Yes baba abiola is no more but he left his family behind. We shall keep on celebrating u papa.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Keacee(m): 5:00pm On Jun 11, 2013
This is blasphemy
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Chregor(m): 5:03pm On Jun 11, 2013
This is a southwest propaganda; a sentiment they try to force down everyone's throat.
If fashola too luv late Abiola, why im no follow push to name Unilag after the man? Or agbi na date wey una want use celebrat'am, so that it goes well with the word"opposition party."

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Excel23: 5:12pm On Jun 11, 2013
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by babslamin: 5:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
To me it doesn't matter but still i will prefer june cos all i want is public holiday in june cos we've enough public holidays to celebrate in may. May 29th or 12th june no concern me, jst holiday dey ginger me
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Inik(m): 5:25pm On Jun 11, 2013
We must give honour to whom honour is due but i must admit that June 12 is overrated. We need to move on with our lives
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by bootlegaz: 5:42pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fela and Obj knows the man better than those trying to idolizes him on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Abali1(m): 6:00pm On Jun 11, 2013
Ola Johnson:
If you're Akokite and you're saying all this against WS it means you're suffering from tribal bigotry. As for me, I adhere strictly to the motto of my alma mater: FOR LEARNING AND CULTURE.
I never said any wrong word against KONGI.
ALL I ASKED IS IF KONGI IS THE ORACLE OF NIGERIA?
IS KONGI INFALLIBLE?
KONGI IS NOT A POLICY MAKER, SO HIS OPINION (THOUGH HIGHLY VALUED) IS STILL HIS OPINION.
Ola, where did I say a wrong word against Wole Soyinka? Show me?
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Abali1(m): 6:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
Desola:

Lol, what an irony!
Madam Desola what is the Irony there? UNILAG the last time I checked is a Federal University. I was able to overcome the Quota system and still made it to UNILAG (one of the best actually in Nigeria).
In UNILAG we were taught to reason and argue without sentiments and emotions. If you follow my posts here on NL you will agree that I hardly engage in sentimental debates. Be it for or against my people or any other people for that matter.
Please you all should quit with the sentiments and view this thread from an Objective angle.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by 1willywilly: 6:18pm On Jun 11, 2013
madam_oringo:

I believed the real Democracy day to remember is the day Frog(konko) Drank Otapiapia and die
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Controversy: 7:23pm On Jun 11, 2013
madam_oringo:

You are really FUNNY, so was that a just, fair and statesmanly decision to make? In the circumstance, was that "right"? Does a self-serving decision of OBJ, and he made a lot during his leadership, become "right" because it feeds into the sentiments of Ibos who hate anything Yoruba even if it benefits them and they have nothing better in the whole Iboland? If this decision is "right", because OBJ is also a Yoruba man, then the burden of accepting every of his "wrong" decisions is now yours and you people would have lost the moral right to selectively pick what is right or wrong, or is it not the same Obasanjo?? OBJ and Chief Abiola were not "friends" and may be rivals but it is up to a fair, just-minded and sophisticated people to judge and say, well, "I don't agree with a lot of things X has done and think Y was right, but in the circumstance, as an impartial judge, X was right and deserved better in this case"! Now the question is: can an unsophisticated man who sees everything from his tribal allegiance make such fair judgements! NO! That man is an ====> Ibo man! Even the IBB who made that decision and at one time blamed his military junta peers for the pressure to annul that election, knows he made a wrong decision! Up till today, it hunts him and that is one of the reasons he CAN NEVER be voted or accepted as a candidate again for elections! If he was "right", why hasn't he been well received by the generality of Nigerians? Prof. Henry Nwosu who was the umpire of the electoral body announced the result of the federal elections which said Chief Abiola won, how is it fair to not give him the credit? Was it not ibos that helped to sabotage the process?
The true lovers of Abiola
****** Dr. Ore Falomo, who was personal physician and confidant of winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, late Chief Moshood Abiola, in interview with punch news paper*****
Punch news: Is it true that some Yoruba
leaders betrayed Abiola?
Dr Falomo: They did so initially because
they believed that Abiola would
not get acceptance from the
Awolowo camp. Abiola was
NPN before, he then changed
camp to UPN. Abiola belonged
to the NPN, he gave more
money to the NPN and donated
a little to UPN. People advised
Awolowo to return the money to
Abiola querying why he gave
some much to NPN. However,
some Awoists thought it was
wrong to have returned that
money. Because we all knew
how UPN was getting money
then, it was from states
controlled by them. It is the
same thing that Action
Congress of Nigeria is doing.
They learnt it from the
Awolowo group. I was not only
Abiola's doctor; I was his friend,
confidant and in-law. When the
election was near, we told
Abiola to go and see Mama
Awolowo and also Arthur
Nzeribe, because was one
politician in Igboland that had
won his constituency
repeatedly. He visited Nzeribe
first, and Nzeribe was very
happy and pledged to work very
hard for him. When he landed
in Lagos, we drove straight to
Mama, and we arrived there
just before dinner. He
prostrated and said he would
not get up until Mama said she
forgiven him from the bottom of
her heart. Mama forgave him. If
you remember, Abiola won
Ogun State 97 per cent. Nobody
has ever done that, not even
Awolowo. He confounded those
Yoruba Obas. Those people
went to Babangida, who likes to
divide and rule, to put obstacles
in Abiola's way. When I was
arguing with one of those
people, he said Babangida told
him how much the Federal
Government owed Abiola, and
said what else did Abiola want?
https://twitter.com/share
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Controversy: 7:23pm On Jun 11, 2013
madam_oringo:

You are really FUNNY, so was that a just, fair and statesmanly decision to make? In the circumstance, was that "right"? Does a self-serving decision of OBJ, and he made a lot during his leadership, become "right" because it feeds into the sentiments of Ibos who hate anything Yoruba even if it benefits them and they have nothing better in the whole Iboland? If this decision is "right", because OBJ is also a Yoruba man, then the burden of accepting every of his "wrong" decisions is now yours and you people would have lost the moral right to selectively pick what is right or wrong, or is it not the same Obasanjo?? OBJ and Chief Abiola were not "friends" and may be rivals but it is up to a fair, just-minded and sophisticated people to judge and say, well, "I don't agree with a lot of things X has done and think Y was right, but in the circumstance, as an impartial judge, X was right and deserved better in this case"! Now the question is: can an unsophisticated man who sees everything from his tribal allegiance make such fair judgements! NO! That man is an ====> Ibo man! Even the IBB who made that decision and at one time blamed his military junta peers for the pressure to annul that election, knows he made a wrong decision! Up till today, it hunts him and that is one of the reasons he CAN NEVER be voted or accepted as a candidate again for elections! If he was "right", why hasn't he been well received by the generality of Nigerians? Prof. Henry Nwosu who was the umpire of the electoral body announced the result of the federal elections which said Chief Abiola won, how is it fair to not give him the credit? Was it not ibos that helped to sabotage the process?
The true lovers of Abiola
****** Dr. Ore Falomo, who was personal physician and confidant of winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, late Chief Moshood Abiola, in interview with punch news paper*****
Punch news: Is it true that some Yoruba
leaders betrayed Abiola?
Dr Falomo: They did so initially because
they believed that Abiola would
not get acceptance from the
Awolowo camp. Abiola was
NPN before, he then changed
camp to UPN. Abiola belonged
to the NPN, he gave more
money to the NPN and donated
a little to UPN. People advised
Awolowo to return the money to
Abiola querying why he gave
some much to NPN. However,
some Awoists thought it was
wrong to have returned that
money. Because we all knew
how UPN was getting money
then, it was from states
controlled by them. It is the
same thing that Action
Congress of Nigeria is doing.
They learnt it from the
Awolowo group. I was not only
Abiola's doctor; I was his friend,
confidant and in-law. When the
election was near, we told
Abiola to go and see Mama
Awolowo and also Arthur
Nzeribe, because was one
politician in Igboland that had
won his constituency
repeatedly. He visited Nzeribe
first, and Nzeribe was very
happy and pledged to work very
hard for him. When he landed
in Lagos, we drove straight to
Mama, and we arrived there
just before dinner. He
prostrated and said he would
not get up until Mama said she
forgiven him from the bottom of
her heart. Mama forgave him. If
you remember, Abiola won
Ogun State 97 per cent. Nobody
has ever done that, not even
Awolowo. He confounded those
Yoruba Obas. Those people
went to Babangida, who likes to
divide and rule, to put obstacles
in Abiola's way. When I was
arguing with one of those
people, he said Babangida told
him how much the Federal
Government owed Abiola, and
said what else did Abiola want?
https://twitter.com/share
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by PvtParts1: 7:25pm On Jun 11, 2013
Abeg this Token House Nigga should just shut it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria / Jibrin Links Omisore To Budget Padding Controversy / Is Nnamdi Kanu Preparing For War? See The Armored Tank He Poses With .PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.