Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,144 members, 7,821,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday (18895 Views)

‘Why Bitumen Exploration Is Just Taking Off In Ondo’ / Graphic Photo Of Sunday Terror Killed At Ebute-metta Lagos Yesterday / Photo Of Bicyclists Taking Off From Daura To Abuja For The Inauguration May 29th (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 11, 2013
chukkynwob:

V²=U² - 2as for decelaration....

Where V is final velocity ie Zero cos the plane is halting
U is initial velocity before aborting takeoff
a is deceleration as a result of breaking
S is the distance required to bring the plane to a complete halt.

If L is remaining length of runway,what is saying is that at V(r), S> 1/3 L

N:B the plane already used about two-thirds(2/3 L) of the runway to attain the rotate velocity V(r) before initiating takeoff abort.

What the OP described is impossible..at best the pilot would have taken off and turn around and attempt an emergency landing.

Hahaha, physics teacher!!

Aviation schools dont have proffesors, lecturers nor teachers.

They only have instructors(do this and the student does it) no questions.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 11, 2013
Pls what happened then? I'm a novice and u dnt have to remind me of what I am as far as aviation is concerned and I never said he was wrong I'm only asking what happened then?
I do know that pilots do abort so y is it so difficult for u guys to accept that fact and spare me this unsolicited aviation lectures which is not what the issue is all about!
The op is not a pilot and might have given a novice kind of explanation regarding the timing of returning back to base as a result of panic but u guys are busy looking at the time but I keep asking does it mean that pilots don't abort a flight some minutes after departure and cld that not be a case of what happened to the op?
I'm not gullible and I'm also trying to ensure I don't become so credulous either with ur own explanations which still does not address my question either!
My question still remains, what happened them? I want to know so I can be informed!

Point of correction! I didn't attack any1 rather I asked questions!

50calibre:

You admit to being a novice on this issue, yet you attack another persons well informed statement. What the guy said is absolutely spot on.

it's not a matter of the pilot going ahead and crashing, it's that it is technically impossibly for an aircraft to abort a take off, after it has attained a given speed without crashing.

The guy knows what he is saying, smart people just don't swallow things hook line and sinker, if there are inconsistencies or things just don't stack up, they ask questions. That's what separates the gullible from the discerning.
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by chukkynwob(m): 11:03pm On Jun 11, 2013
okpara ugo:

Hahaha, physics teacher!!

Aviation schools dont have proffesors, lecturers nor teachers.

They only have instructors(do this and the student does it) no questions.

Oga planes obey laws of motion,fluid mechanics e.t.c

I wrote it in the simplest possible terms,google is your friend @V(r) it is suicide to abort a take off

did you consider the design of the jet engine that propels the plane, maybe your instructors designed them?

Think outside the box Bro.
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Revolva(m): 11:05pm On Jun 11, 2013
Oya oo dana its time to pack outta Naija
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Kingsteve(m): 11:06pm On Jun 11, 2013
okpara ugo:

Stop toying with your life on nigerian space. Book air conditioned cabs with tested drivers. You may just sit comfortably for 5 to 6hrs and get to where you are going safely.

This!

It baffles me that some people still fly with that airline, while others are planning to book tickets from the same airline.

With this type of ignorant attitude, how can Nigeria progress?

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by chukkynwob(m): 11:10pm On Jun 11, 2013
Kingsteve:

This!

It baffles me that some people still fly with that airline, while others are planning to book tickets from the same airline.

With this type of ignorant attitude, how can Nigeria progress?

It is your ignorant attitude that draws Nigeria back, someone creates a thread on NL and everybody swallows the information hook,line and sinker without really examining the veracity of the thread.

Sad!!!
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Kingsteve(m): 11:19pm On Jun 11, 2013
chukkynwob:

It is your ignorant attitude that draws Nigeria back, someone creates a thread on NL and everybody swallows the information hook,line and sinker without really examining the veracity of the thread.

Sad!!!

So, I now have to verify or even do a research about someone's horrific experience with an airline?
Maybe you have all the time in the world for that, but unfortunately, not everyone has that luxury.

Why should I even doubt what he said in the first place?
What would he gain by cooking up a story?
Someone narrates his ordeal with an airline, and you're suggesting I should verify the story before giving my opinion?

Sorry...

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Dibiachukwu: 11:27pm On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva: I don't mind flying with KLM, Luftansa or British Airways to any location in NIgeria. These Nigerian owned airlines are scary. Foreign airlines should be allowed to fly local.
No. Nigerian aviation should do their job and close down dana and all airlines that don't meet aviation safety standard. It really is not that hard.
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jun 11, 2013
50calibre: Thank God you survived! I hope you learn from your mistake.

Please guys, under no circumstance should you fly in Nigeria, the aircrafts are nothing short of flying coffins, they are old, poorly maintained, and poorly checked. The airlines themselves have come to the realisation that the Nigerian government places no worth on human lives.

I'd rather travel 12 hours by land than fly in nigeria
the roads are no better at all.not on bit.infact road accidents are the causes of loss of a good number of lives on daily basis.
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 11, 2013
I'm completely baffled at how people who have little or no knowledge about a subject matter tend to discountenance expert opinion.

@byrron: I choose to ignore your earlier comments, as you seem to know more than I do about my profession but since you've admitted your nescience, I'll give you my candid opinion.

I am not exactly sure what happened, but all I've done is to discredit the op's account based on known aviation facts which I learned during my training as a pilot, I'm fairly certain what he described is not possible

The only conclusion I could reach is that the op may be saying the truth as it appeared to him; He might have been under vestibular/somatogravic illusions particularly the head up illusion, without going into details this illusion is caused by linear acceleration which causes people on board an aircraft to perceive the nose of the aircraft as pitching up even when it is level.

The aircraft was probably still on the ground and had not taken off, if it had truly reached Vr,an aborted take off would be impossible.

On a side note, this story is probably bogus, I'm not in Lagos presently but I got pals down at Dana, all of whom confirmed that nothing of that nature happened, so it was probably a minor incident that was exacerbated by the op
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Rocktation(f): 1:06am On Jun 12, 2013
Them don come again...
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by jodeci(m): 2:07am On Jun 12, 2013
Newspapers would have carried this info if it actually happened as Op narrated.
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by abujalapdog(m): 2:17am On Jun 12, 2013
Boeing412: Dana Air Almost Killed Me Yesterday

Here's my personal experience with Dana yesterday....passengers beware o!

We boarded a dana flight 9J-357(LOS-ABV) yesterday at MM2 Lagos finally @ past 5pm after an hour delay,only for the plane to taxi,rise into the air a bit and suddenly came down again!

Everyone on board thought it was the end of our sojourn here on earth!

The pilot then announced it was a technical problem and didn't want to take chances so we had to board another plane...just barely a year after the last crash....makes me wonder if anyone cares about human lives in this Country!

Dana should b grounded til they stop "managing" planes.

its a bull story !!! Can anyone take not of the op name? so how did u finally travelled? by taxi to be safe? you sound sensored an paid to do this! You really have to be careful not to mislead people.
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by brownlord: 2:30am On Jun 12, 2013
alheriTOJ: I know exactly what you went through, I flew Dana on fri abj-lag, 4:40pm flight. It was the most terrifying experience ever, the noise from the engine was so terrifying that it cld send 1 into shock or cause you to have a heart attack! The most the plane landed and door open I ran! A lot of airlines should cease to operate!

Jesus, u see thaat why anytime i board any of thos local flight, dana, i just hang by the door, if i notice anythinf, id just jump down, i do this all the time, even this evening on my way from my alomo joint
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by mathskill: 2:57am On Jun 12, 2013
There's what is called boycott.Why would any one in his right sense fly Dana.Let everyone boycott them and let's see whether they wont pack and go.
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Nobody: 3:09am On Jun 12, 2013
wellmax: @ OP, I wonder what your problem is, your title is completely misleading.
The pilot noticed a technical fault and decided not to take any risk, since they just had a bitter experience.
My friend, he's just been careful, other pilots will still go on and nothing will happen.
So don't come here crying like they laid you for sacrifice.
people like you disgust me! Its about their faulty planes not the pilot, dana! Dana!! Dana!!! I rebuke you IJN and OP, well I blame you for goin to DANA, dnt you see aero, arik.ahha! mcheeew! I wonder hw som people think
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Giddyprance(m): 3:12am On Jun 12, 2013
Now evri1's claiming to have been in one airline or the other....even those who have never seen an airport
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Giddyprance(m): 3:27am On Jun 12, 2013
brownlord:

Jesus, u see thaat why anytime i board any of thos local flight, dana, i just hang by the door, if i notice anythinf, id just jump down, i do this all the time, even this evening on my way from my alomo joint
u tnk say na okada
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Elise1: 4:06am On Jun 12, 2013
This is not a good thing but Must I must mention that same thing happened with Aero contractor plane departing Lagos to Abuja last week. I had to come down, refused to go them, bought another ticket wit Arik.
Thank God we survived it.
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by daroz(m): 6:21am On Jun 12, 2013
playah P:

Once a plane hits its rotate speed, it must take off oooh...... This story false
I tire o, my brother. Even his user name 'Boeing412' suggest the guy just love aeroplane gist. So this event may have only just occurred in his imagination, that's all. He just felt like gisting something.
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Nobody: 7:05am On Jun 12, 2013
B737NG:

The only conclusion I could reach is that the op may be saying the truth as it appeared to him; He might have been under vestibular/somatogravic illusions particularly the head up illusion, without going into details this illusion is caused by linear acceleration which causes people on board an aircraft to perceive the nose of the aircraft as pitching up even when it is level.

The aircraft was probably still on the ground and had not take off, if it had truly reached Vr,an aborted take off would be impossible.

The reason above is a perfect professional answer to my question!
Thanks for this clarification and I have also learn from it. I never claimed to know your job more than you do- I'm a novice on that field. A lot of people here just discredit the report not because they have any professional knowledge on the issue in question rather its just a way of life for them to do so- more like a hobby!

So its possible that there was an incidence which was encountered by the OP but he went through those ur aviation terminology which u did used up there so his report was an honest one and was made based on how it appeared to him but ur candid and professional response have shaded more light on what might have happened!

I just wanted competent response which u did provided! Thanks
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by opecis: 7:18am On Jun 12, 2013
baby_123: eyah, it seems like you deserve it. You see other's died, you still went to go and chook your head. You will die for nothing and they will not pay your family anything. Go and ask families going through this. I cant believe they are still in business and people are using them.
Oga, hope u have stop travelling by road or u have bought ur own car by now to prevent yourself from dying. Abeg tell me which road transport company that is yet to have an accident and I will tell you safety is in the hand of God. Don't be too sarcastically discouraging to other pple's plight if your hope is Arik air cos God is the ultimate pilot. Arik are now charging passenger double fare because their demand is high but can you tell us all that their airline is immune to crash? make una free us jare.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by brownlord: 7:58am On Jun 12, 2013
Giddyprance:
u tnk say na okada

I know bros
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 12, 2013
Very soon it will have a technical crash angry
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by brownlord: 8:18am On Jun 12, 2013
B737NG: I'm completely baffled at how people who have little or no knowledge about a subject matter tend to discountenance expert opinion.

@byrron: I choose to ignore your earlier comments, as you seem to know my than I do about my profession but since you've admitted your nescience, I'll give you my candid opinion.

I am not exactly sure what happened, but all I've done is to discredit the op's account based on known aviation facts which I learned during my training as a pilot, I'm fairly certain what he described is not possible

The aircraft was probably still on the ground and had not take off, if it had truly reached Vr,an aborted take off would be impossible.

On a side note, this story is probably bogus, I'm not in Lagos presently but I got pals down at Dana, all of whom confirmed that nothing of that nature happened, so it was probably a minor incident that was exacerbated by the op

@bold, So na patrick Obayagbon be the pilot? you see why i no dey gree enter chattered airline,why i go dey inside one molue aircraft, i no go know if e don commot for ground or not or even when i tell the pilot to stop make i for buy gala for hold up, e no go fit stop just because e don reach VR, why i go even carry my money go enter one thing when go come put me under vestibular/somatogravic illusions when one Lillian acceleration cause?

Omon, na to stick to my private jet, i know say people they envy me for this forum, if una like make una call una political tools NAMA make ground my jet

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Dogzimalon: 8:38am On Jun 12, 2013
nigerians self una no dey hear so u go enter that flying coffin again? u do well continue ooo more grease to your elbowooo
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by lucarella: 8:54am On Jun 12, 2013
LOOL!!! This thread funny die! Well, I don't blame the OP. How would you expect your story to hit the frontpage without adding spice and curry to it? Plane took-off, stopped again. LOL. Anyways, I called my friend that also boarded the flight. He said it was a taxied return. The plane did not take off and drop down again oo. Nigerians!! SMH!
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 12, 2013
Who is afraid of Death !
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by ideee03(f): 9:58am On Jun 12, 2013
GOBE angry angry angry
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by UncleSmart: 10:08am On Jun 12, 2013
won fe Dana sun yin.
Re: Dana Air Had Technical Fault While Taking-Off In Lagos Yesterday by joelly100(m): 10:24am On Jun 12, 2013
Too bad, but hope its true since people say things to scandalize a person or a company, so i kinda skeptical undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Okada Riders Protest At Iyana Iba, Lagos Over Motorcycles Seizure (Photos) / Is The "Go Get Your PVC" Hype For Or Against PMB? / Ramadan: Buhari Attends Opening Ceremony Of Ramadan Tafsir In Abuja - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.