Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria (36228 Views)

Ebola: The Use Of Second Hand Clothes Can Be Dangerous. / Should Ladies Buy Second-Hand Bras ? / Second-Hand Clothes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by ABsI1: 8:43pm On Jun 12, 2013
because Dame Patient Jonathan looks like 2nd hand and she is an Okrika proper

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jun 12, 2013
Abu Mikey: Na my papa colonial masters
I hear say na because if dem bring the goods com niaja..e dey land for dat port wen dey portharcout.and dem go carry am go market wen dey Okirika ( Dame Patience ) hometown...then anybody wen wan go buy d clothes go say "I dey go okirika market"..........like play like play na I'm d clothes com carry d market name!!!!!
•••NOR LAUGH ME OO•••
it's actually true.that's the town where I did my NYSC.I asked around and got the same response you did.anyway okrika is like the second richest or thereabout L.G.A in nigeria cos of their excess oil.and they have a jetty where stuff like that used to be brought in from.before it became monopolised by oil dealers.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by nenergy(m): 9:15pm On Jun 12, 2013
Imanuelle:
The smell, be like goat armpit.
Nawa o! Goat get armpit again? Hian,Nairaland.lol
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Godson201333(m): 9:16pm On Jun 12, 2013
and you need to take a ride to kontagora to ask the sellers there..
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by igboboy1(m): 9:18pm On Jun 12, 2013
Ibime: As an Okrika man, make I tell una.

Okrika had the biggest port in South-East Nigeria before the port in Port-Harcourt was built in 1912 and Calabar around the same period.

Till today we still have big ships falling into Okrika occasionally.

Okrika people would ferry these goods (mainly clothes) to the big Ikwerre markets like mgbuoshini and other markets upstream, hence when second hand clothes are landing, Okrika is on it's way. Of course a lot more was traded than clothes. Okrika would buy Palm Oil from the Ikwerre and in turn Ikwerre and other Igbo traders would purchase fish and Western goods from the Okrika traders, but the clothes thing is what stuck because that was the good most in demand.

It was this trade that turned Okrika from a population of a few thousand to a population of half a million today as many Igbos became Okrika men because of the trade opportunities the area offered.

how will igbo turn okrika? wetin okrika get to offer? Biko n'ekwu okwu ofuma.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Reyspin(m): 9:20pm On Jun 12, 2013
Looking for Omawunmi!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Fussbot: 9:23pm On Jun 12, 2013
About tokunbo:

In yorubaland,europe is called OKE OKUN

And "bo"means to come back from smwia or to bring smtin from smwia

So tokunbo literally means---TI OKEOkUN BO--brought from europe

So cause it doesn't make sense like dat and cus it's too long,dat leads me to ISUNKI in yoruba studies..abi wait o is it aranmo?noo it's isunki jhor

isunki means joining two words together to form a word by ommiting some words..lol..shey I get. d dfntion sha?e don tae o!kk..bak to our lecture jare..lol..example of isunki in yoruba:

Ako+eko=AKEKO(student)"o" in ako was ommited

Ran+aso+ran+aso=RANSORANSO(tailor)"a" in d 1st and 2nd "aso"was omitted..shey u understand?k

Naw 2 watin concern us

Ti+okeokun+bo=TOKUNBO(brought from europe or abroad)"I" and "oke" were completely omitted..

Shey I try sha?...na u con sabi o if u no understand..lwkm...rotfl..did I just write all dis??am I high on smtin?no mind me I no see anytin do ni jaregrin

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ekob(m): 9:24pm On Jun 12, 2013
mitey: Why are second-hand clothes called okrika? undecided

Why are second-cars called tokunbo?

Why are rich kids called ajebota?

And why is this shi.t on Front Page? angry

[size=14pt]Go get a life dude![/size] angry
shit you say huh?
you knw wat i tink?.i tink we dnt nid shit like dis on frnt page..wat we need is prick like you to piss off and shut up if you nt goin to contrubute anitin useful.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 12, 2013
Because we can't call them Kafanchan
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by ojimbo(m): 9:46pm On Jun 12, 2013
flawless911: GEJ Shud B Blamed 4 Dis
obasanjo should be blame for this
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 12, 2013
[size=14pt]The full name is okirika wake up
I have always wondered why the wake up[/size]
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jun 12, 2013
Ok. Why is also called GWONJO??

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by joesh94: 9:51pm On Jun 12, 2013
ebamma 3: why are second hand cars called tokunbo
why are buses called molue
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2013
lorretta u: it's actually true.that's the town where I did my NYSC.I asked around and got the same response you did.anyway okrika is like the second richest or thereabout L.G.A in nigeria cos of their excess oil.and they have a jetty where stuff like that used to be brought in from.before it became monopolised by oil dealers.

Let me call a Friend on this Okrika matter.

But Meanwhile,

Hi Loretta,is that really your pix?
After sowing my wild oats,I think I am now ready to settle down.

I think I will like to marry you because from what ayam seeing and from your posts,you have all the required requirements to satisfy not only my loins but my intelect.

Please if interested,send me your full pix showing the backside in tight hugging leggings.

I will also like to see a list of what I need to provide as part of Bride Price Things.

-Yours In Love,
Kamanda Zamunda,Esq

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 12, 2013
You see what I am saying?

It's Gej's fault!! angry grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ibime(m): 10:00pm On Jun 12, 2013
igbo boy:

how will igbo turn okrika? wetin okrika get to offer? Biko n'ekwu okwu ofuma.

You are efulefu. How did Igbo turn Bonny, Kalabari and Okrika? Majority of these Kingdoms are made of people who once called themselves Igbo. All na trade carry them go, no be so?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jun 12, 2013
STREAM AND DOWNLOAD UR FAVOURITE FOOTBALL MATCHES HERE FOR FREE http://primesoccer..com/p/football-highlights.html
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Darius2000: 10:20pm On Jun 12, 2013
Dont know much details about it, though a colleague of mine, who happens to come therefrom, told me it was because the Okrika community served as a very crucial trade-route during the colonial times. Hence, clothes and other materials that were brought into the Nation via that route were referred to as 'Okrika'....
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 12, 2013
deinma afie: you are correct, heard this same thing. Its my home town
so you be Oga Jonathan's village girl?
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 12, 2013
babyosisi:
[size=14pt]The full name is okirika WAKE UP
I have always wondered why the wake up[/size]
Ur right!!! Wot happened to d wake up?
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Andyforte: 10:36pm On Jun 12, 2013
Why them dey call am okrika?

Wait wait. Wait. I can not categorically explain anything now. I don't want to say the reason now before my oga at the top will say another thing. Just send me a mail at www.okrika. ....daz all!
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 12, 2013
Kamanda:

Let me call a Friend on this Okrika matter.

But Meanwhile,

Hi Loretta,is that really your pix?
After sowing my wild oats,I think I am now ready to settle down.

I think I will like to marry you because from what ayam seeing and from your posts,you have all the required requirements to satisfy not only my loins but my intelect.

Please if interested,send me your full pix showing the backside in tight hugging leggings.

I will also like to see a list of what I need to provide as part of Bride Price Things.

-Yours In Love,
Kamanda Zamunda,Esq
hahahaha.your wild oats?lmao.see people wey Yuzedo dey spoil o. grin so after marrying you,children will start appearing from nowhere.u be tuface ni? cheesy
Anyway yea that's my pix.just posted to butress the point about the jetty stuff.gudnyt

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 12, 2013
Its GEJ fault! Lols
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jun 12, 2013
deinma afie: you are correct, heard this same thing. Its my home town
it's my hometown too
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by basisop(m): 10:45pm On Jun 12, 2013
Fussbot: About tokunbo:

In yorubaland,europe is called OKE OKUN

And "bo"means to come back from smwia or to bring smtin from smwia

So tokunbo literally means---TI OKEOkUN BO--brought from europe

So cause it doesn't make sense like dat and cus it's too long,dat leads me to ISUNKI in yoruba studies..abi wait o is it aranmo?noo it's isunki jhor

isunki means joining two words together to form a word by ommiting some words..lol..shey I get. d dfntion sha?e don tae o!kk..bak to our lecture jare..lol..example of isunki in yoruba:

Ako+eko=AKEKO(student)"o" in ako was ommited

Ran+aso+ran+aso=RANSORANSO(tailor)"a" in d 1st and 2nd "aso"was omitted..shey u understand?k

Naw 2 watin concern us

Ti+okeokun+bo=TOKUNBO(brought from europe or abroad)"I" and "oke" were completely omitted..

Shey I try sha?...na u con sabi o if u no understand..lwkm...rotfl..did I just write all dis??am I high on smtin?no mind me I no see anytin do ni jaregrin

Hence, the man and name Adetokunbo is simply saying that Ade is from Europe? Am I correct?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jun 12, 2013
Ibime:

You are efulefu. How did Igbo turn Bonny, Kalabari and Okrika? Majority of these Kingdoms are made of people who once called themselves Igbo. All na trade carry them go, no be so?
boy don't say what you don't know. There are indigenous Okrikans and there are those who were brought from igboland as slaves. I am a full-blooded Okrikan.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by babadem2much(m): 10:49pm On Jun 12, 2013
i hear say dem dey pick d beta ones dem put for boutique but dat type dem go call am? stand n select or gwanjo? lol
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 12, 2013
Na una dey call like that ooooo.Me and my friends calls it "bend down select boutique" undecided kiss
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Dhannyel15(m): 10:56pm On Jun 12, 2013
That 9ja 4 u o
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by tellwisdom: 11:01pm On Jun 12, 2013
So portharcourt is developed to have a PORT?? sad..na wa o undecided
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 11:08pm On Jun 12, 2013
barcanista: boy don't say what you don't know. There are indigenous Okrikans and there are those who were brought from igboland as slaves. I am a full-blooded Okrikan.
I've always been confused about Okrika people. I had an Okrika neigbour in PH when i was younger who spoke unadulterated Igbo and no, he did not learn it. It was his language and so, i'm wondering whether there are Okrika people that speak Igbo as their language. What is the language spoken in Okrika?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Want To Have Quick Dreadlocks / New Trends In Fashion: Ankara And More / Hair Detail ➡ FAUX LOCS!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.