Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,201 members, 7,815,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria (36230 Views)

Ebola: The Use Of Second Hand Clothes Can Be Dangerous. / Should Ladies Buy Second-Hand Bras ? / Second-Hand Clothes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:39am On Jun 13, 2013
olumide81: officer i might agree with all said but okrika is not the second richest lga...its obioakpor 1st followed by ikeja,okrika would av bn among the first 15 if the land used for refinery was okrikas
okrika is 15th? Man stop bein a proud ignorant man. Okrika is among TOP 3.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ibime(m): 8:36am On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: @Ibime pls KEEP SHUT. I'm from Koniju, or you want make i tell you my Biri? boy like i said in my earlier post, some igbo traders came to settle while Majority came as slaves. Man i know OKRIKA history FAR more than your ancestors. I repeat I AM A FULL BLOODED OKRIKA MAN, all my ancestors are pure breed Okrikans. My uncle is the mouthpiece of the Amayanabor of Okrika...A position he has held 4 more than a decade

You are an ignoramus. Your uncle is a mouthpiece of an Amanyabo with a stolen mandate whilst my uncle was the Amanyanabo for 50 years before him and my great grandfather was the regent for 30 years before that in the absence of an Amanyanabo due to civil conflict. All can point to some Igbo ancestor, even your Kings, yet you are here spouting nonsense about full-blooded Okrika? Okrika that started with just 2000, how did we grow so big if not for settlers. We don't differentiate free born, settler and slave, only ignoramuses like yourself

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by kalunomics(m): 8:47am On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: My parents could but me i can't. Though i may have idea on what's discussed. For instance we call God, TAMUNO. in BY and Among delta ijaw it is TAMARA. I guess immigrants coming in affected Ijaw language among its respective Kingdoms. You'd observe a little of igbo words in Okrika/Kalabari language if you KEENLY pay attention...
There's no one exclusive Igbo language... Just like you said, my mum can communicate well with people from Izi, Ezza, Abakiliki et al of Ebonyi state but I can only understand my own Edda language(which is spoken by people of Afikpo north and south LGAs, Ivo LGA of Ebonyi state and Item, Ohafia people of Abia state) because I was born and raised in Owerri.

But in Imo state, people marvel at my oral prowess in all the Igbo languages in Imo state like Awara, oguta, and extending to Ogba, Egbema and Ndoni Igbo of River state.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 13, 2013
olumide81: officer i might agree with all said but okrika is not the second richest lga...its obioakpor 1st followed by ikeja,okrika would av bn among the first 15 if the land used for refinery was okrikas
anyway I can't say for sure.but I know okrika doesn't rank as low as 15th.besides there's still dispute about that land between okrika and eleme people.besides the refinery apart.the oil itself comes from underneath most of okrika's water bodies.that's where the wealth is.e.g the wealth is in the farm not the processing machine.but as for position I'm not sure.just stating what I heard.
Kamanda:

On this Okrika Issue,I am still waiting for my friend to pick my call-I am sure he has the REAL answer.

But Meanwhile,

I value the fact that you honoured my genuine intentions with a reply.

This goes a long way to butress my point that you are a highly marriageable material with all the required requirements.Your Beauty alone makes me believe your parents were confirmed Boko Haram because You are The Bomb.

On the issue of wild oats,never you worry about children popping out from everywhere and never bother to compare me with that Coconut Head called 2face.This is because I have always played safe with my Cond..handy 247(Even FIFA nearly give me fair play award)
So try PM me and let's get jiggy With It like Will Smith.

Yours- Still In Love,

Kamanda Zamunda Esq.
hahaha.dude you funny.anyway I'm taken. smiley winkbut I could give u my twin.yes I'm a twin cheesy
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 13, 2013
@ibime: Your grandparents are IDIOTS AND INGRATES(no make me use vex curse your ancestors o). na your papa steal mandate. Like i said, my uncle is The mouthpiece of THE AMAYANABO with REAL MANDATE, i am from the RULIN(ROYAL) house. Though there is NO discrimination as Slaves and Freeborn, but WE know our history at the back of our palms. It is people like you that precipitate us discriminating against our fellow Okrikans. Boy as we accept una as our brothers so make una RESPECT unaself. Una come our land want follow us drag The Royal Stool... which kind of people una be? INGRATES. una think say we be weaklings? guy thank God say we don put Tuboniju where them belong. No wonder Kalabari and the rest of the IJAWS no de classify una as Ijaw
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:13am On Jun 13, 2013
lorretta u: anyway I can't say for sure.but I know okrika doesn't rank as low as 15th.besides there's still dispute about that land between okrika and eleme people.besides the refinery apart.the oil itself comes from underneath most of okrika's water bodies.that's where the wealth is.e.g the wealth is in the farm not the processing machine.but as for position I'm not sure.just stating what I heard.hahaha.dude you funny.anyway I'm taken. smiley winkbut I could give u my twin.yes I'm a twin cheesy
No mind that guy way no know anything. He just want say something. That your twin sister, i hop say she set like you? Make you declare open competition for interested guymen to jostle for her heart
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ibime(m): 9:20am On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: @ibime: Your grandparents are IDIOTS AND INGRATES(no make me use vex curse your ancestors o). na your papa steal mandate. Like i said, my uncle is The mouthpiece of THE AMAYANABO with REAL MANDATE, i am from the RULIN(ROYAL) house. Though there is NO discrimination as Slaves and Freeborn, but WE know our history at the back of our palms. It is people like you that precipitate us discriminating against our fellow Okrikans. Boy as we accept una as our brothers so make una RESPECT unaself. Una come our land want follow us drag The Royal Stool... which kind of people una be? INGRATES. una think say we be weaklings? guy thank God say we don put Tuboniju where them belong. No wonder Kalabari and the rest of the IJAWS no de classify una as Ijaw

So you mean Ado did not rule Okrika for 8 generations? Where was your mandate for 2 centuries of Ado rule. Or do you need me to tell you why Okrika people crowned Ado? Because Ado saved Okrika from annihilation at the hands of Bonny. Read up on your history. You are here claiming mandate given to you by Peter Odili and bringing up archaic arguments about igbo lineage which some greedy folks resurrected just so they can steal power. Ask your family well whether you don't have some grandfather or grandmother from Igboland if they will not deny it, abi are you fully descended from the original 2000 Wakirike? Learn your history, small boy. You might even be from some compounds that joined us from Ogoniland. Okrika is a land of settlers just like Rome whether you like it or not. Wakirike - We are not different.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by hardbody: 9:27am On Jun 13, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: It goes after the name Okrika in Rivers State. That's where second hand cloths came from many decades ago.

And when they name a typical Yoruba girl with facial marks Tokunbo what does it mean? Since she is neither a car nor was she imported from say Yankee
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:30am On Jun 13, 2013
Now am beginning to enjoy dis Barcanista n Ibime arguments but u guys should please stop using insulting words on each other. Are u guys not brothers again?
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 9:30am On Jun 13, 2013
click2cbn: Now am beginning to enjoy dis Barcanista n Ibime arguments but u guys should please stop using insulting words on each other. Are u guys not brothers again?
I'm enjoying it too. I'm learning a lot from it.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 13, 2013
ibime: you are Mad. Your ancestors stole mandate but our people reclaimed it after YEARS. our eye don open, you think say we mumu? guy for the record, i an A PURE BREED WAKRIKE, OUR PEOPLE ARE PREDOMINANTLY fishermen and i'm from the OWOI RULING HOUSE. we are the WAKRIKE. Come for schooling. You want claim mandate way no be your own. Man, i agree with you that WAKRIKE is one, because we have open heart, BUT WE KNOW OUR HISTORY BOY.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:56am On Jun 13, 2013
ibime: I would not be surprised to discover that you are not even Koniju but a Tuboniju with Igbo ancestry on both sides! cheesy
Pls wots d difference between dis KONIJU n TUBONIJU
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ibime(m): 10:03am On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: ibime: you are Mad. Your ancestors stole mandate but our people reclaimed it after YEARS. our eye don open, you think say we mumu? guy for the record, i an A PURE BREED WAKRIKE, OUR PEOPLE ARE PREDOMINANTLY fishermen and i'm from the OWOI RULING HOUSE. we are the WAKRIKE. Come for schooling. You want claim mandate way no be your own. Man, i agree with you that WAKRIKE is one, because we have open heart, BUT WE KNOW OUR HISTORY BOY.

Ignorance dey worry you.

Ado the Royal King crowned by all Okrika is a full Wakirike blood.

It is not your concern if his successors have Igbo blood unless you are ignorant of the custom that all slaves are conferred full rıghts of a son when accepted into the family through process of ritual.

Ados successors have Igbo blood cos Ado was a trader bringing products from the Igbo markets to the coast.

After conferring Kingship on Ado, you are now arguing nonsense about the lineage of his house members in contradiction to custom that a former slave can become a Waridabo.

Joke of the matter is that many Koniju (fishermen) have been marrying Igbos and Tuboniju (traders) over the centuries so any Koniju claiming pure blood is most likely mistaken.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by omonnakoda: 10:08am On Jun 13, 2013
Ask the question why other Rivers people used to say "Okrika wake up" or "Ogoni Pio pio" I think the answer to the Okrika second hand clothes question is hidden there somewhere
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by makelove2m(m): 10:09am On Jun 13, 2013
Okirika, is been pronouce like this Oki-ri-kaa, which means second valued items, and this is a borrowed language from igboland, though sounds like one of the town in Rivers State, Okirika in Rivers state is a remote area and do not have sea Port now or before, Is unfutunately that most of our local languages are lossing ground as a result of foreign language first hand usage,

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 13, 2013
igbo boy:

how will igbo turn okrika? wetin okrika get to offer? Biko n'ekwu okwu ofuma.

Igbo focus.
na true talk em dey tell you.
abi u knw no were them dey call umu okrika inside imo state
that na igbo people way we colonize.

bush poeple.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 13, 2013
tellwisdom: So portharcourt is developed to have a PORT?? sad..na wa o undecided
guy na were u from.
abi na niger republic.
abeg make you travel small.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 13, 2013
makelove2m: Okirika, is been pronouce like this Oki-ri-kaa, which means second valued items, and this is a borrowed language from igboland, though sounds like one of the town in Rivers State, Okirika in Rivers state is a remote area and do not have sea Port now or before, Is unfutunately that most of our local languages are lossing ground as a result of foreign language first hand usage,
you be mumu
your pap no teach you sometin
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by EzePromoe: 10:55am On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: Eze promise pls hide your ignorance. Sayin Okrika is a mixture of Kalabari and igbo is 1 FAT LIE.
boy. Okrika is NEVER Kalabari, the Igbos that
came to settle wit us are 90 Percent slaves and 10 percent traders.
Yet we still have
indigenous Okrika. i am from Owolomebiri. I'm a
full-blooded Okrika man.
i agree that
Amadiama, Mbaama, Kalio
etc were igbo
immigrants.
Whether you like it to know or not, 95% of the Okrika population are immigrants if you trace their roots.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:57am On Jun 13, 2013
hardbody: And when they name a typical Yoruba girl with facial marks Tokunbo what does it mean?
If you are talking of Tokunbo as a name, it exist in Yoruba names. Adetokunbo, Olatokunbo are also names
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by deinmaafie(f): 10:59am On Jun 13, 2013
Ekans: I bet #1000, no one will get the answer right.
two persons have answered the question correctly.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by MrLee(m): 11:02am On Jun 13, 2013
D name is not complete o its full make is Okirika wake up
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by sayitout1: 11:05am On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: @Ibime pls KEEP SHUT. I'm from Koniju, or you want make i tell you my Biri? boy like i said in my earlier post, some igbo traders came to settle while Majority came as slaves. Man i know OKRIKA history FAR more than your ancestors. I repeat I AM A FULL BLOODED OKRIKA MAN, all my ancestors are pure breed Okrikans. My uncle is the mouthpiece of the Amayanabor of Okrika...A position he has held 4 more than a decade

Learn to take corrections. Don't respond like a fisher man on NL.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by deinmaafie(f): 11:22am On Jun 13, 2013
Ibime:

Ignorance dey worry you.

Ado the Royal King crowned by all Okrika is a full Wakirike blood.

It is not your concern if his successors have Igbo blood unless you are ignorant of the custom that all slaves are conferred full rıghts of a son when accepted into the family through process of ritual.

Ados successors have Igbo blood cos Ado was a trader bringing products from the Igbo markets to the coast.

After conferring Kingship on Ado, you are now arguing nonsense about the lineage of his house members in contradiction to custom that a former slave can become a Waridabo.

Joke of the matter is that many Koniju (fishermen) have been marrying Igbos and Tuboniju (traders) over the centuries so any Koniju claiming pure blood is most likely mistaken.
You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for arguing over what you know nothing about. I thought you guys are suppose to be brothers. What do you know about koniju and tuboniju. Pls we need peace in okrika, dont start war on NL. Wakirike - Ogboribusime
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 11:24am On Jun 13, 2013
deinma afie: You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for arguing over what you know nothing about. I thought you guys are suppose to be brothers. What do you know about koniju and tuboniju. Pls we need peace in okrika, dont start war on NL. Wakirike - Ogboribusime
As a neutral person, why don't you tell us what the real story is.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by deinmaafie(f): 11:24am On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: ibime: you are Mad. Your ancestors stole mandate but our people reclaimed it after YEARS. our eye don open, you think say we mumu? guy for the record, i an A PURE BREED WAKRIKE, OUR PEOPLE ARE PREDOMINANTLY fishermen and i'm from the OWOI RULING HOUSE. we are the WAKRIKE. Come for schooling. You want claim mandate way no be your own. Man, i agree with you that WAKRIKE is one, because we have open heart, BUT WE KNOW OUR HISTORY BOY.
You guys should be ashamed of
yourselves for arguing over what
you know nothing about. I thought
you guys are suppose to be
brothers. What do you know about
koniju and tuboniju. Pls we need peace in okrika, dont start war on
NL. Wakirike - Ogboribusime
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Iykeponti(m): 11:27am On Jun 13, 2013
onye guy: Most of those cloth na road side beggars and mad man cloths be that oh grin So oyibo people no value them any more, while some of them na dead people cloths too. That's why oyibo people dey call am okirika shocked shocked shocked
THOSE CLOTHS R FROM DEAD OYIBO PPLE, ONES THEY DIED THE FAMILY WIL PACK ALL THEIR PERSONAL WEARS N TAKE THEM TO D CHURCH, THE CHURCH LL LATER SHARE THEM...80% TO AFRICA & 20% TO THE POOR PRISONERS AROUND WORLD.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by sayitout1: 11:28am On Jun 13, 2013
I don't mean to disrespect anyone here. But jurdging from what you guys are saying, I believe IBIME is making more scene than BARCANISTA.

Like I earlier said don't respond like a fisher man but rather respond with facts or point or better still keep quite.

Barcanista, ur way of response is that which always bring about conflict in the whole Okrika land (kakioama, Amadiama, George-ama Abuloma, Greenpolo, ogbapolo etc).

...learn to be corrected.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by deinmaafie(f): 11:30am On Jun 13, 2013
makelove2m: Okirika, is been pronouce like this Oki-ri-kaa, which means second valued items, and this is a borrowed language from igboland, though sounds like one of the town in Rivers State, Okirika in Rivers state is a remote area and do not have sea Port now or before, Is unfutunately that most of our local languages are lossing ground as a result of foreign language first hand usage,
I thought you are suppose to be in the farm by now . Just keep quiet over what you dont know undecided
I thought you are suppose to be in the farm by now :-/. Just keep quiet over what you dont know
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by deinmaafie(f): 11:38am On Jun 13, 2013
Afam4eva:
As a neutral person, why don't you tell us what the real story is.
Two persons have given the correct story. Ibime and his friend are both correct but their approach towards the issue is wrong. They are bringing sentiment into this. As a matter of fact they are suppose to be brothers
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Bensonite: 11:42am On Jun 13, 2013
@Ibime and Barcanista,
Please stop embarrassing Wakirike on this thread with needless quarrels. You are already derailing the topic. It is people like you that made Okrika to get the name of the thread you are debating today.
As far back as 1972, Professor(Emeritus) Tekena Tamuno former Vice Chancellor of UI an Okrikan who happens to be a renowned historian took the fight to ensure an end to the name " Okrika wake up". Whereas the location of the famous Okrika Jetty is true which enabled used clothes/ other sundry goods to be traded, the wake up call was made to stop Okrikans from frequent internal fighting as it was believed then fighting era in Riverine (Ijaw)had past. Infact, a bloody stony-fight eschew in 1962 between the two groups Tuboniju and Koniju (which Ibime and Barcanista are laying claims to) and Professor Tekena has written several memoirs on this.
I want to rest my case as I am too busy now in the office to make more comment.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by aigjoey(m): 11:45am On Jun 13, 2013
Call me on 07083731078 to
get
airtel 2gb for N500..
5gb for 1000..
10gb for 1500..
I would be teaching you for 2k...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Want To Have Quick Dreadlocks / New Trends In Fashion: Ankara And More / Hair Detail ➡ FAUX LOCS!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.