Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,148 members, 7,815,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria (36229 Views)

Ebola: The Use Of Second Hand Clothes Can Be Dangerous. / Should Ladies Buy Second-Hand Bras ? / Second-Hand Clothes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Skynet247(m): 11:12pm On Jun 12, 2013
Do you have a better name 4it? Mr OP..? I know nigerians don't go 4da name...its the money...
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Akiika: 11:14pm On Jun 12, 2013
mitey: Why are second-hand clothes called okrika? undecided

Why are second-cars called tokunbo?

Why are rich kids called ajebota?

And why is this shi.t on Front Page? angry

[size=14pt]Go get a life dude![/size] angry

Because it's Nairaland, a forum for some undeveloped minded Nigerian that have access to internet.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jun 12, 2013
lorretta u: hahahaha.your wild oats?lmao.see people wey Yuzedo dey spoil o. grin so after marrying you,children will start appearing from nowhere.u be tuface ni? cheesy
Anyway yea that's my pix.just posted to butress the point about the jetty stuff.gudnyt

On this Okrika Issue,I am still waiting for my friend to pick my call-I am sure he has the REAL answer.

But Meanwhile,

I value the fact that you honoured my genuine intentions with a reply.

This goes a long way to butress my point that you are a highly marriageable material with all the required requirements.Your Beauty alone makes me believe your parents were confirmed Boko Haram because You are The Bomb.

On the issue of wild oats,never you worry about children popping out from everywhere and never bother to compare me with that Coconut Head called 2face.This is because I have always played safe with my Cond..handy 247(Even FIFA nearly give me fair play award)
So try PM me and let's get jiggy With It like Will Smith.

Yours- Still In Love,

Kamanda Zamunda Esq.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Adadio: 11:26pm On Jun 12, 2013
The full stuff is "Okrika wake Up"It was a derogatory call on half clad Okrika men in those days to embrace modernity by wearing western style
Second hand clothes.The major dealers on second hand clothes were Igbo.Good business I must say cos my uncle was involved.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Fussbot: 11:35pm On Jun 12, 2013
basisop:

Hence, the man and name Adetokunbo is simply saying that Ade is from Europe? Am I correct?
yes..it means he was born in europe

But cus sm1 is bearing adetokunbo doesn't authomatically says his name is ade..his name could be ordinary "tokunbo" or adetokunbo his surname

Asin the case of surname,u know dat means it's d person's father or grandfather dat went to europe and not d person..am telling u dis so u don't tink everybody bearing tokunbo is from europe(some tokunbo havn't crossed the Nigerian border)but dfntly,sm1 has gone in dia family hence it's his surname

Adetokunbo(ade=crown if they are of the royal family)=crown brought back home

Or it cld be

Ola(wealth)tokunbo=wealth brought back home

Shey I try?lol
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by 1shortblackboy: 11:36pm On Jun 12, 2013
Adadio: The full stuff is "Okrika wake Up"It was a derogatory call on half clad Okrika men in those days to embrace modernity by wearing western style
Second hand clothes.The major dealers on second hand clothes were Igbo.Good business I must say cos my uncle was involved.
see story ! Okrika people don dey wear western cloths before ur igbo ancestors ever saw a whiteman.s undecided
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Fussbot: 11:38pm On Jun 12, 2013
Kamanda:

On this Okrika Issue,I am still waiting for my friend to pick my call-I am sure he has the REAL answer.

But Meanwhile,

I value the fact that you honoured my genuine intentions with a reply.

This goes a long way to butress my point that you are a highly marriageable material with all the required requirements.Your Beauty alone makes me believe your parents were confirmed Boko Haram because You are The Bomb.

On the issue of wild oats,never you worry about children popping out from everywhere and never bother to compare me with that Coconut Head called 2face.This is because I have always played safe with my Cond..handy 247(Even FIFA nearly give me fair play award)
So try PM me and let's get jiggy With It like Will Smith.

Yours- Still In Love,

Kamanda Zamunda Esq.
just like dat?lwkm...
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by drdams: 11:40pm On Jun 12, 2013
Tokunbo means *from sea", i cum dey wonda if na cargo plane dey bring new cars?

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jun 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
I've always been confused about Okrika people. I had an Okrika neigbour in PH when i was younger who spoke unadulterated Igbo and no, he did not learn it. It was his language and so, i'm wondering whether there are Okrika people that speak Igbo as their language. What is the language spoken in Okrika?
Its very ubiquitous for Okrikans to be fluent in igbo language. My parents speak igbo well. But our Own Language is Okrika.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ryda(m): 11:46pm On Jun 12, 2013
FECOSON: Who gave secondhand cloths Okrika in Nigeria?
angry
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jun 12, 2013
1 shortblackboy: see story ! Okrika people don dey wear western cloths before ur igbo ancestors ever saw a whiteman.s undecided
No mind the mofo

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 11:54pm On Jun 12, 2013
barcanista: Its very ubiquitous for Okrikans to be fluent in igbo language. My parents speak igbo well. But our Own Language is Okrika.
Is Okrika a dialect of Ijaw?
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:02am On Jun 13, 2013
Afam4eva:
Is Okrika a dialect of Ijaw?
IJAW is the name of The Entire Kingdoms. Okrika is a Kingdom in Ijaw Kingdom. Also in Ijaw kingdom is Kalabari etal. Okrika is the both A kingdom and equally a dialect
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 12:06am On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: IJAW is the name of The Entire Kingdoms. Okrika is a Kingdom in Ijaw Kingdom. Also in Ijaw kingdom is Kalabari etal. Okrika is the both A kingdom and equally a dialect
Sorry for the many questions...Can you communicate effectively with an Ijaw person from Bayelsa?
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:25am On Jun 13, 2013
Afam4eva:
Sorry for the many questions...Can you communicate effectively with an Ijaw person from Bayelsa?
My parents could but me i can't. Though i may have idea on what's discussed. For instance we call God, TAMUNO. in BY and Among delta ijaw it is TAMARA. I guess immigrants coming in affected Ijaw language among its respective Kingdoms. You'd observe a little of igbo words in Okrika/Kalabari language if you KEENLY pay attention...
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by EzePromoe: 12:40am On Jun 13, 2013
Afam4eva:
I've always been confused about Okrika people. I had an Okrika neigbour in PH when i was younger who spoke unadulterated Igbo and no, he did not learn it. It was his language and so, i'm wondering whether there are Okrika people that speak Igbo as their language. What is the language spoken in Okrika?
Okrika is actually a mixture of massively bastardize Igbo language and Kalabari (Ijaw), but the later is greater.
Rebisi Ikwerre can actually communicate with an Okrika man.
Amadi-Ama is a perfect example. It is an Okrika town, but you can see the "Amadi" which is an Igbo name and "Ama" used as suffixes in many Ijaw towns e.g Koluama, Kaiama, Obuama etc. Okrika is believed by some to be the land where Osus from Igboland came and settled with the natives who were sparsely populated as at then, and they were named "Osuama", but their was intermarriage between the two as the natives found their visitors beautiful for marriage and didn't have any law that discriminates any set of people. Don't be surprised (like Ibime have said) that many people who parade themselves as Okrikans aren't if you check their root. Even Ibime himself.
Me, i'm thinking Ibime's fore father was one of the Orlu deportees grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:00am On Jun 13, 2013
Promise that Osu thing. The igbo originated Okrika people aren't really considered Ijaw by my people.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:01am On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: Eze promisf pls hide your ignorance. Sayin Okrika is a mixture of Kalabari and igbo is 1 FAT LIE. idiot boy. Okrika is NEVER Kalabari, the Igbos that came to settle wit us are 90 Percent slaves and 10 percent traders. Yet we still have indigenous Okrika. i am from Owolomebiri I'm a full-blooded Okrika man. i agree that Amadiama,Mbaama,Kalio etc were igbo immigrants.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by igboboy1(m): 2:21am On Jun 13, 2013
Ibime:

You are efulefu. How did Igbo turn Bonny, Kalabari and Okrika? Majority of these Kingdoms are made of people who once called themselves Igbo. All na trade carry them go, no be so?

Are you a learner? Half of me is from RIvers so you cant be schooling me on anything Rivers, that one is confirmed.

Now sit down son let me school you, all of these have long historical interactions with igbos, but they never called themselves igbos...
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Revolva(m): 2:23am On Jun 13, 2013
Imanuelle: Ask the okrika people of rivers state.

The name dates back to the colonial times,

when the white visitors dashed people from okrika clan, their used clothes, in the guise of missionary welfare packages.

The smell, be like goat armpit.

yeah that it..i think so.....
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by blessing009(m): 3:45am On Jun 13, 2013
okrika na pidgin word and dat infact b like our official language here in 9ja...
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by WuzilistiQ(m): 6:05am On Jun 13, 2013
It was called okrika-wake-up because it was shipped into the ports from the creeks of okrika, people in that region now see it as an offensive comment if said, so that was how they called every secondhand goods tht came in, in the 50's
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by hourlarwharley(m): 6:10am On Jun 13, 2013
Plz where can i get dz Okirika 1st Class in Lagos? Plz Reply ASAP.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ibime(m): 6:27am On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: boy don't say what you don't know. There are indigenous Okrikans and there are those who were brought from igboland as slaves. I am a full-blooded Okrikan.

Not every igboman who came to Okrika came as slave although granted majority came as such. There are those who were proficient in trade who were invited to join and given land to settle. Some of these even brought their own slaves with them. Example, Samuel Chukukere Ogan, founder of Ogan ama. There is no single Tuboniju who cannot point to an Igbo ancestor or full igbo origin within the last 5 generations, whether slave or trader/settler.

And what's this nonsense about full-blooded Okrikan you are spouting here? There is nothing like full-blood and Okrika does not differentiate on şuch nonsense as we are all settlers. Wakirike - We are not different. Our town was founded on these principles by settlers from different areas. There is no şuch thing as full blood. Learn your history and stop spouting ignorance. I would not be surprised to discover that you are not even Koniju but a Tuboniju with Igbo ancestry on both sides! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by ignis: 6:43am On Jun 13, 2013
qplus: If u ask me, na who I go ask ?
The matter wey you see so, e tey wey e start.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by SUGARSON(m): 6:58am On Jun 13, 2013
erudite scholar: My dad told me that when the white men brings the cloth to nig, they bring it through a small port in okirika in Rivers state. Okirika shld be in rivers or bayelsa now. He kept telling us the same history till he died cos his family traded on okirika in lome and cotonoue.
HMMM, OGE ADIRO
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:14am On Jun 13, 2013
Ekans: I bet #1000, no one will get the answer right.
U just lost that 1k

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Fitzy4real(m): 7:21am On Jun 13, 2013

He might be writing a project on it. Who knows?
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Flygerian1(m): 7:21am On Jun 13, 2013
Y is my name "FLYGERIAN"?
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by olumide81(m): 7:24am On Jun 13, 2013
lorretta u: it's actually true.that's the town where I did my NYSC.I asked around and got the same response you did.anyway okrika is like the second richest or thereabout L.G.A in nigeria cos of their excess oil.and they have a jetty where stuff like that used to be brought in from.before it became monopolised by oil dealers.
officer i might agree with all said but okrika is not the second richest lga...its obioakpor 1st followed by ikeja,okrika would av bn among the first 15 if the land used for refinery was okrikas
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36am On Jun 13, 2013
@Ibime pls KEEP SHUT. I'm from Koniju, or you want make i tell you my Biri? boy like i said in my earlier post, some igbo traders came to settle while Majority came as slaves. Man i know OKRIKA history FAR more than your ancestors. I repeat I AM A FULL BLOODED OKRIKA MAN, all my ancestors are pure breed Okrikans. My uncle is the mouthpiece of the Amayanabor of Okrika...A position he has held 4 more than a decade
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 13, 2013
erudite scholar: My dad told me that when the white men brings the cloth to nig, they bring it through a small port in okirika in Rivers state. Okirika shld be in rivers or bayelsa now. He kept telling us the same history till he died cos his family traded on okirika in lome and cotonoue.
Okirika is in River State not Bayelsa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Want To Have Quick Dreadlocks / New Trends In Fashion: Ankara And More / Hair Detail ➡ FAUX LOCS!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.