Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,439 members, 7,819,620 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (34179 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / I Finished With A 2-1...do I Need A Masters Degree? / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by whizzy(m): 3:20am On May 16, 2008
Do you Know

1. Any 1st class graduate on the forbes 500 list
2. Any PHD holder with 2'1 written on his DR. cert
3. Any 3rd class holder who have died of starvation
4. Any national president with at least a 2'1
5. Anyone bounced from being an enterpreneur simply cos he has 3rd class

if all your answers is made up of NO.
Then you are saying
"The race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong"
You are also saying
"It is he who is on top of the ladder that needs to be carefull, cos a man at the bottom of the ladder fears no fall"
1st class graduate get the best employment, while 3rd class graduates own the best industries. Look around and ull see its true
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by tconcept: 6:21am On May 16, 2008
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class?
« #24 on: May 13, 2008, 04:16 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: suze on May 13, 2008, 03:23 PM
i have 2 friends who came out with a third class. One works with a bank. She got the job 6months after nysc, the second one works with total ,he scored the highest in their aptitude test and perdformed well in their interview. There were a lot of other people with 2-1's that wrote the same test that i know and they were not even taken.

I know agirl with 3rd class that works with glo and is earning big.

If u will get a job, u will get.

Shut the fu/ck up!!LIAR
3rd class

hello dee,
you dont need to address anyone as a liar i am a 3rd class graduate from university of ilorin and i hv worked with virtually all the big aviation co,aero contractors virgin nigeria and right now am a fucking pilot also i have a friend he had pass worked with daewoo after grad and right now he his working in an ocean and gas outfit i had an offer for real in total believe if you still doubt reply and i will send u link to my database
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by babaogun(m): 8:28am On May 16, 2008
@poster

What were you doing when some people were coming out with top degrees?

You must have had a better grade somewhere else, so work on that.

If you were in a social club, that network would still be useful, use the links.
If you were a sports man, why not go professional.
If you were frustrated by teachers, it means you are intelligent, so you can get certifications (ICAN, CISCO,CISA etc wont frustrate you becos they dont know you).
If you were good with Unionism, go into politics
If you were a woman wrapper, try marketing, alot of fulltime/part time marketing jobs with good bonuses are available.
If you dont fall into any of these categories, you can tell the house your category, so many people would be willing to assist on this forum.

Cheers mate.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by MyPeace(f): 8:34am On May 16, 2008
ATTAHDYE:

Is there anyone among you who has ever come across the line ' BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND'? We all owe ourself and those who invest in us a duty to graduate well from school so that we can return back in thesame measure and even more to the society. There may be several excuses for failure and no REASON to JUSTIFY FAILING. Therefore those with 3rd class today that many of you are defending given a second chance will do better if there is such, why? because now they know that they should have work harder, plan better, concentrate and do all that is required to gradute with something better.
I for one strongly believe in THE CONCEPT OF GOOD REWARD FOR HARD WORK. As no evil deed will go unpurnish so will no good work go UNREWARDED.
Finally for the 3rd class brother the best you can do is to go into business or something that will not require your class of degree. For those still in school and with no inheritance to fall back to, WORK HARD TO GET THOSE 2.2,2.1 and 1 class so that you can put yourself in a place of advantage in the labour market.

God bless u!!

@wisemikky
l laugh!!!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by igbonla(m): 5:56pm On May 16, 2008
Get the exit door at this pity party and step out into the world of challenges.

No need having regrets except if you are joining the labour market. Do you know the story of the guy that was denied a job because he could not provide an email address?

Stop limiting yourself and get to work!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by otele(m): 6:04pm On May 16, 2008
3rd class in nigeria? go and join PDP cool

you'll employ some of the peeps here who are making a lot of noise grin
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by tomX1(m): 11:26am On May 17, 2008
One problem a lot of people have (but they may not be aware of it) is that their certificates act as blinders for them. They only see liffe through the narrowed vission that their certificate affords them.
I don't have a degree but I work along side degree holders in some firms (I work freelance) and often time I even pull more pay than they do. I remember when I interviewed in a firm and performed brilliantly. The MD told me point blank that I was a waste since I had no degree. A couple of weeks latter he called me back for a meeting and told me that most of those he interviewed did not perform as well as I did but the constraint he has to face is that if he has to tender the resume of his staff to a client then he would have a hard time defending my lack of a degree. We worked out an agreement where by I get to handle jobs for them from the comfort of my home and I get paid. I get more money off him than he pays his employees with their 1st class and 2nd class upper.

Put your self in the shoes of a business man: would you rather pay more money to a person with a sparkling degree who can only partialy deliver. Or will you pay more for the person with a third class (or no degree) who can deliver even beyond expectation on the same project?

Do not let your degree or lack of it act as a limitation to you. Degrees are only good for getting you an interview, what gets you the job and the pay is your ability to deliver. If you can deliver (but have a poor degree) then all you need to do is work on how to get the attention of those who can gaurantee you an interview so that you can directly impress them with what you can do.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by hayo(m): 7:31pm On May 17, 2008
The issue of the class u graduate with will haunt you probably for the first 3-4 years after graduation. That is why most of those that have castigated 2-2 and 3rd class will most likely fall into the category of recent graduates. Yes. I know this. By the 5th year, most accomplishments will be based on the kind of stuff u have pulled through. Some people have 3rd class in school and the are truly worth it because they have 3rd class mentality. Once a man is defeated in the mind, there is not much he can do to pull through. I have met 2-2 graduates who also despair in the class they graduated with. These set of people complain and nag all the time. And what is the outcome for those that nag? Remember the Israelites in the wilderness - they roamed for 40 years basking in their nagging. Sometimes God laughs at us when we think we are successful just because of the class of degree we made or that we are failures for same reasons. It is never in the dictionary of success - wake up and think big. There are a lot of things you can do. You might not be able to get access to write an aptitude test for a bank or oil company - but how may do they even recruit through this. But you can start in small strides rising steadily. And besides, while u start small - nothing stops a 3rd class graduate from doing professional exams. In 5 years - u can apply for the same experienced position a 1st class graduate could if u added the right skills in those 5 years and did not stay at home counting your misfortunes. And also, who says getting a job is the way to make it? Becoming an innovator or entrepreneur does not have a degree class qualification. Wake up man , there is a lot to be done. U need to prove to us that your 3rd class was a fluke. Yes! And when u make it -people will not believe ur class of degree.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by EvalsamAz: 7:43pm On May 17, 2008
i think graduating with a 3rd class expecially if u were the serious type and things didn't go ur way is not the end of the world.A friend of mine had missing scripts in school,he applied for and looked for it.When he found it,the dean of faculty cancelled the result which he had a B.so he carried over the course for no fault of his and ended up with a 3rd class.Today he works with intercontinental bank as a graduate recruit and is doing fine.Believe in yourself and in God,every other thing will fall in place.cool
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by opeoluwae: 5:49am On May 18, 2008
getting a job might be harder, but overall careerwise and life-direction-wise, we all have hope to succeed in life.

firstly, im a very successful graduate (2nd class lower) of a nigerian university who lives in the united states, and ive never (and i mean NEVER) tendered my certificate for any job ive had. my current job pays me $90,000/yr and they dont care whether i went to college or not. im into internet technology and my work/portfolio speaks louder than my degree.

my point is, education is a strict standard human beings have set, but is not a requirement for success. you can become an entrepreneur without any education, even though secondary school & university education do prepare you for hurdles in life. i believe every individual has at least one thing they can do to near-perfection and succeed at. you just have to discover you talent and passion, and follow it.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Blue2(m): 10:28am On May 18, 2008
is there hope? of course there is!!! i know quite a number of my colleagues who graduated with 3rd class r they are rite now on top of their GAME!! and i am talking professionally and big timee. the earlier u erase that losing mentality and get on with life the better. it gonna be diffcult and tough but believe me, only u can decide whether u want to be a WINNER or remain a LOSER!! best of luck
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by steroid: 3:50pm On May 18, 2008
1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd classes are all paper qualifications. These days there is more to just reading and sitting for an exam. you have to develop urself in any area of interest and become the star you desire to be. Gone are the days when one would just depend on paper work. there are 1st class students still jobless and weathy 3rd class. there is something called Entrepreneurship thats what makes the difference. paper qualification only opens ur mind to certain while action brings results.

This is a test- ASk any 1st class student to pratically explain to you what they have learnt or had an A1 in and see if up to 90% of them can do so.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by messiah(m): 4:08pm On May 18, 2008
My experience while searching for job placement in Nigeria has thought me a lot! A simple conclusion yet speaks volumes: it does not matter whether you finished with 1st class, 2nd class (upper or lower), 3rd class, pass or if you did not finish at all. At the end of the day, they make it clear that it does not matter WHAT you know(or claim to know), but WHO you know!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by messiah(m): 4:12pm On May 18, 2008
sorry, my thought should spell thus "taught"
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by quickygirl(f): 6:56pm On May 18, 2008
there is hope
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by kolakels: 8:33am On May 19, 2008
finishing with a 3rd only means u've got to push harder, be optimistic & confide in God
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by cyonujemen(m): 9:46am On May 19, 2008
There is hope for those that had 3rd class. l have a cousin that graduated with 3rd class in industrial maths. He is in his 2nd job. l know of another that got 3rd class in Zoology and just got a job with reltel (2nd job). Only u can limit urself. Ur certificate cant limit u. Dont loose hope. There re some persons with 2.1 and ve spent yrs at home after graduation. Let alone 2.2. Dont forget ur creator cos on ur own, u can do nothing. GoodLuck.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Damoche10: 10:39am On May 19, 2008
In da country of ours today, It is not by certificate it is by how you can be able to deliver. The first step is for you to get a job. Start from somewhere and be very positive minded. If you get your first job, lay your hands on certifications etc. You will c that all will fall into place. Where I work it is HOW U CAN BE ABLE TO DELIVER. Be cool man. Congrates at least you graduated!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by gbengaza: 5:51pm On May 19, 2008
what you make out your life is up to you ,is it a must that you must seek to be employed why dont you look for ways to employ yourself ,there must be something that you can do that will earn you money ,drop your pride and open your eyes,getting good grades does not guarantee any body good jobs in nigeria of today.good luck.www.achieversideas.com
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by librapoint: 1:00am On May 20, 2008
yes, there is hope 4 d third class even if the emlployer refuse to employ them they start up on there own
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by hclacid(m): 1:01am On May 20, 2008
@poster
look my friend, a man will always be a man while GOD will always be GOD therefore do not let the sayings of any human being influence you. the term 'SUCCESS' has nothing to do with your education, university,family background or grade, it's spiritual. present your case before GOD and he shall direct your ways whether you're a muslim or christian or whatever.
remember, am not trying to say sweet words but only trying to open your eyes to the meaning of success.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by moyinmc: 3:23am On May 20, 2008
Success in life is never a function of GRADE !
GOD is d foremost factor.

I graduated in 2002 and guess was the second to the last person in my class then going by my CGPA.
but today by my status (career-wise) i should be among the first 10 successfull one in the same class. I still have folder for CV's of my classmates who want me to assist.

Basically GOD is D factor but that does not call for laziness / care-free attitude to studies/ life .
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Tonyblu(m): 9:16am On May 20, 2008
Yes, There is PLENTY of hope and MORE!
If you are keen on academics, u can follow up with a PGD or even a Masters Degree, but yu hav to put much effort to excel beyond yur BSc degree. There are part-time Post-Grad courses too.
You can also acquire some extra skills, I know
DayStar has this DLA (Leadership) Course, and many other similar skill-acquisition progammes to equip you by acquiring skills to excel in d Society.
And there many SOUND responses by other persons here on this forum.
So, it's all about you.
And You will Succeed.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Florency(m): 9:27am On May 20, 2008
Ma nem is Prince Tiefyermonies. I am a King in my country. I am about to inheret $20,000,000, but I need someone to give me just 20,000 Nar and I can unlock dis. You will be ma loving partner. Al dis monies will buy you a new Mud palace , think of it all I need is your bank account details and sort code and you can be ma partner and millionaire. Or you can continue being a bunch of savages scratcing on de ground for bird seed. Da choice is yours.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by finguy(m): 10:34am On May 20, 2008
the truth is that most of this big organisation have shut their doors to the brightest and most decent people all in the name of 2:1. most of which are crooks cos they made it by paying for it or sleeping for it. thats why u see this small cooperations doing well cos they unintentionally, get the best hands by looking for cheap labour, most of who are 3rd class without a choice. people who read but refused to compromise back in school.
so my brother find one small place and start moulding ur life, and belive me the small the company the better, you get a one on one relationship with ur boss and you will bain nig time.
and leave all those big companies that are looking for 2:1,though na strategy to improve their business cos they need all the rouges and prostitute they can get to succeed in this competitive world. if i dey lie check the bank chicks for example.
the bottom line is dont give up on your self. cheers.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by finguy(m): 10:39am On May 20, 2008
tonyblu which levels. which one be daystar. if you won help the guy help, if na advice, advice, no dey use person problem as opportunity for advertisement, and please i will like to know your real ibo name, i am sure you are an ibo man.
anyway the guy should still check your PRODUCT out sha!
have a great day.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by elbulk(m): 12:07pm On May 20, 2008
for all u loosers that think its all about the 1st class or 2"! its a pity, hw many of u 1st class and 2:1 ppl earn more than 100k @ the moment, my sister worked in the bank with her 3rd class degree for 8yrs before resigning, some of you need international exposure, outside this country its all about what you can do and not what u have on paper, dont forget the fact that our education is rubbish @ d moment, talking as an IT proffessional reading computer science in nigerian universities is like cutting meat with ruler except u improve on urself by urself its useless, guy wake up and think of ways to go ahead and stop listening tio this loosers that can barely perform even given the oppourtunity, all i have is cisco certifications and no degree but i still more than plenty of u graduates 1st class and 2:1 inclusive, i'm not hating on anybody but pls stop trying to console urself b y down sizing another.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by quickygirl(f): 1:52pm On May 20, 2008
Well i am an example of a serious thid graduate and right now am in my final year of a second degree University of london external program and i am going towards a first class, i had 5 distinctions in my first year,  all the best!!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by dee02(m): 2:02pm On May 20, 2008
cyonujemen:

There is hope for those that had 3rd class. l have a cousin that graduated with 3rd class in industrial maths. He is in his 2nd job. l know of another that got 3rd class in Zoology and just got a job with reltel (2nd job). Only u can limit yourself. your certificate can't limit u. Dont loose hope. There re some persons with 2.1 and ve spent years at home after graduation. Let alone 2.2. Dont forget your creator because on your own, u can do nothing. GoodLuck.

grin

Kai, u sabi enough peeps with 3rd class ooo?!

Abi u sef get third class? LOL

Anyway KO SI BIG DEAL
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by mowashe: 10:13am On May 21, 2008
nice posts by members!
Guy, nothing do you.First, i want to reply d few guys that are feeling like stars because they managed to have 2.1 or 2.2, and hav the guts to call 3rdy graduates 'lazy'!.remeber what 9ice said:"eni foju oku womi, ebora abolasho, big ups to those who encouraged and said nyc things, 'we' will get there. I also had a Third class from unilorin. i am in a Job now and am doing certifications also doing a lot of business here and there, so my guy, aiye o pare o!
take care and God bless. I feel ur pains cos i av same experience,
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by mishooo(m): 11:04am On May 21, 2008
mo washe:

nice posts by members!
Guy, nothing do you.First, i want to reply d few guys that are feeling like stars because they managed to have 2.1 or 2.2, and hav the guts to call 3rdy graduates 'lazy'!.remeber what 9ice said:"eni foju oku womi, ebora abolasho, big ups to those who encouraged and said nyc things, 'we' will get there. I also had a Third class from unilorin. i am in a Job now and am doing certifications also doing a lot of business here and there, so my guy, aiye o pare o!
take care and God bless. I feel your pains because i av same experience,

I finished from Uniyonu Unilorin too, my guy. kai, that place - - - - - -

i think peeps do not know the situation of things in naija schools. peeps come out with 1st class but that doesnt make them more intelligent than those with 3rd class. Academic knowledge is different from intelligence ooo. if the situation changes and scenes change(either dept or family or opportunity), believe me some 3rd class guys will have 1st class and some 1st class would have 3rd class.
i was unfortunate to be given a course a dredded from sec school and i performed woefully in it but i managed to finish school with the mindset that i will pursue my dreams in life with or without good degree. i thank God for where i am and am comfortable in the sense of comfort and doing better than many 2.1 guys we finished together (i still see them once in a while) collecting peanuts. and my IT doesnt have to do with my degree but with my Certification and expertise. i even get referrals from guys i worked with in the past.
To cut a short story long. (lol) i can show you many of my guys with 3rd class in MTN and Mubadalla. forget it, they are doing cool.

NB. I must warn you that after 3rd class, then the work of self realization begins . Please don't sit on your oars. you've got to pursue your dreams like mad because you'll need to do more to prove to peeps you are more than you 3rd class. AND GOD - THE ULTIMATE
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by MyPeace(f): 11:50am On May 21, 2008
mishooo:

I finished from Uniyonu Unilorin too, my guy. kai, that place - - - - - -

i think peeps do not know the situation of things in naija schools. peeps come out with 1st class but that doesnt make them more intelligent than those with 3rd class. Academic knowledge is different from intelligence ooo. if the situation changes and scenes change(either dept or family or opportunity), believe me some 3rd class guys will have 1st class and some 1st class would have 3rd class.
i was unfortunate to be given a course a dredded from sec school and i performed woefully in it but i managed to finish school with the mindset that i will pursue my dreams in life with or without good degree. i thank God for where i am and am comfortable in the sense of comfort and doing better than many 2.1 guys we finished together (i still see them once in a while) collecting peanuts. and my IT doesnt have to do with my degree but with my Certification and expertise. i even get referrals from guys i worked with in the past.
To cut a short story long. (lol) i can show you many of my guys with 3rd class in MTN and Mubadalla. forget it, they are doing cool.

NB. I must warn you that after 3rd class, then the work of self realization begins . Please don't sit on your oars. you've got to pursue your dreams like mad because you'll need to do more to prove to peeps you are more than you 3rd class. AND GOD - THE ULTIMATE

the bolded part is the 'koko' of the problem. We need to realise ourself early to avoid 3rd class in most cases.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

6 Reasons Why You Will End Up Even Poorer Than Your Parents / Physically Challenged Man Digs Pit To Feed In Kogi (Photos) / Lady Commercial Bus Driver In Enugu Spotted In Action (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.