Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,655 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (34135 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / I Finished With A 2-1...do I Need A Masters Degree? / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by tyna1(f): 5:23pm On May 28, 2008
Mugabe:

please sir that is not an issue for discussion.it has been proven.they even make it bettr in the society than anyone else
Who told you that? if you are in school study hard and pass your exams.Please you guys should stop encouraging students that will not read their books.Is either you are intelligent or you are not.Find something else to do,you must not work for a company,go and learn a trade.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by tkb417(m): 9:21pm On May 28, 2008
please sir that is not an issue for discussion.it has been proven.they even make it bettr in the society than anyone else
rubbish!!!! when i was in the UNI, for u to have graduated with a third class, that means the person had more of Es and Ds. Damn!!!! and u guys are blaming the 9ja system. how come some graduated with first class in the same system.

failure is failure. getting a 3rd class is equal to not having a degree and ure blaming the system.

However, when u have life, anything is possible. u can have a 3rd class and still be more prosperous than someone who got a first class. paper degree are supposed to enhance and help us achieve our dreams. if u got a 3rd class, that means, u still need a lot to do

PS: u cant work in total with 3rd class even if ur dad is the COO
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by dee02(m): 2:05pm On May 29, 2008
tkb417:

rubbish!!!! when i was in the UNI, for u to have graduated with a third class, that means the person had more of Es and Ds. Damn!!!! and u guys are blaming the Nigeria system. how come some graduated with first class in the same system.

failure is failure. getting a 3rd class is equal to not having a degree and ure blaming the system.

However, when u have life, anything is possible. u can have a 3rd class and still be more prosperous than someone who got a first class. paper degree are supposed to enhance and help us achieve our dreams. if u got a 3rd class, that means, u still need a lot to do

PS: u can't work in total with 3rd class even if your dad is the COO

Thank you jare

To the Oxy-slowpoke who said her friend works in total with a third class, u dey hear?wetin ur friend dey do there?sweep or washman?no disrespect but it has to be a menial job!!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by tyna1(f): 4:51pm On May 29, 2008
dee02:

Thank you jare

To the Oxy-slowpoke who said her friend works in total with a third class, u dey hear?wetin your friend dey do there?sweep or washman?no disrespect but it has to be a menial job!!

I agree with you in Total they have contract workers working for contractors that supplies manpower to Total
actually these group of workers are not Total staffs,although they work there and carries Total ID cards.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by dee02(m): 5:36pm On May 29, 2008
tyna1:

I agree with you in Total they have contract workers working for contractors that supplies manpower to Total
actually these group of workers are not Total staffs,although they work there and carries Total ID cards.

Fair enough Tyna

For all you guys with 3rd class, all the best

heads up and work hard, you would be just fine!!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by zerozero1(m): 5:42pm On May 29, 2008
3rd class isnt any dterminant of ur success, be proud of ur grade,,build it and never feel oppressed, apply to anywhere, imagine u do a test with 2.1s, 2.2s and u score better than alot of them,, my friend, they would look into ur issue and give u a chance. God saw all the giants before HE gave David all the chances against Goliath,
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by aikyg(m): 5:55pm On May 29, 2008
Hi all,

I am here as clear example. I graduated with a 3rd class in elect/elect and I am not trying in any way to hold brief for anybody who is plagued by the same dilemma. I must also admit here that my coming out with a third class was not the fault of the system. 100% I am responsible for what I have.

While I was still in the university, I basically was creating my own rules; choosing to read some big books in library instead of my little handout; not doing my assignments nor writing the periodic quizzes given by the lecturers (hoping to score a whiz bang 80% in Exams since I was the bright guy); and on and on and on,

By the time I left the university with a third class, I had come to realize my mistake but there was nothing I could do about it. My not so bright friends who managed to get 2-2 by "fire by force" were already getting cool jobs, while I was still trying to find my feet. Even members of my extended family who saw me as some bright dude were beginning to question my intellectual pedigree. Infact to everybody I was not fit to be called a graduate.

However, I realized that I needed to do something; I had to fight back. I picked up what pieces that was left of my life and started my journey into the labour jungle. The first job I applied for I was not even invited. The second one I was invited and after the series of interview, only I was taken. The next Job I applied for was for people with 2-1 and again only I was taken. God so kind it has always been like this ever since.

You may be wondering how I got to change a situation so bad as my fate after graduation to a success story. Wonder no more. These are exactly what I did:

1, Look for the kind of job you really want to do and the sort of place you really want to work.

In my case I listed MTN, GLO, NLNG, SHELL, Major Airlines.

2, Find out what the employers want and compare them with what you have at the moment.

You will notice that all of these employers want 2-1 and you do not have that. But the good thing is that there are other requirements apart from the 2-1. Work on those requirements.
Example: 
Job Title ======>Core Network Engineer
Requirements===>Graduate of Electrical or Computer Engineer, 2-1,  3+ years at position of IP network engineer, networking, servers, UNIX & Windows OS, CISCO knowledge, responsibility, sense  for detail, accuracy, proactivity, self-activity.
If you are already like me, the only thing I do not have here is a 2-1 and 3+ years IP n/w experience. But any good recruiter will forgive you that sin, if you're able to prove that you know your onions with the rest.

3, Train for the job

I started training for comptia Network+. After that I trained for server+, then I moved to Unix. On completing Unix I moved to Cisco, which we did with windows server. By the time I was done, I was already a marketable commodity.

4, Learn a Foreign Language

This will broaden you horizon. So if you learn French you can work in French speaking country like Cameroon, Niger, Togo, etc

The truth is that if you graduated with a third class, you can rewrite your own story and you can work anywhere; all you need is a good planning and careful implementation. A least I am living evidence.

Good Luck.grin
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by LAKANYE(m): 10:07pm On May 29, 2008
SOME COURSES ARE FORGIVABLE ON A 3RD CLASS DEGREE, BUT WHAT HAPPEN TO STUDENTS WHO STUDIED SHIT LIKE POLITICAL SCIENCE, SOCIOLOGY, YORUBA, IGBO OR HAUSA, RELIGIOUS KNOWLEDGE, EVEN ENGLISH OR MUSIC AND YOU GRADUATED WITH A 3RD CLASS DEGREE

I DON'T THINK NAIRALAND IS A PLACE FOR YOU TO WHINE-WHINE WHINE grin
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by tyna1(f): 2:21am On May 30, 2008
aikyg:

Hi all,

I am here as clear example. I graduated with a 3rd class in elect/elect and I am not trying in any way to hold brief for anybody who is plagued by the same dilemma. I must also admit here that my coming out with a third class was not the fault of the system. 100% I am responsible for what I have.

While I was still in the university, I basically was creating my own rules; choosing to read some big books in library instead of my little handout; not doing my assignments nor writing the periodic quizzes given by the lecturers (hoping to score a whiz bang 80% in Exams since I was the bright guy); and on and on and on,

By the time I left the university with a third class, I had come to realize my mistake but there was nothing I could do about it. My not so bright friends who managed to get 2-2 by "fire by force" were already getting cool jobs, while I was still trying to find my feet. Even members of my extended family who saw me as some bright dude were beginning to question my intellectual pedigree. Infact to everybody I was not fit to be called a graduate.

However, I realized that I needed to do something; I had to fight back. I picked up what pieces that was left of my life and started my journey into the labour jungle. The first job I applied for I was not even invited. The second one I was invited and after the series of interview, only I was taken. The next Job I applied for was for people with 2-1 and again only I was taken. God so kind it has always been like this ever since.

You may be wondering how I got to change a situation so bad as my fate after graduation to a success story. Wonder no more. These are exactly what I did:

1, Look for the kind of job you really want to do and the sort of place you really want to work.

In my case I listed MTN, GLO, NLNG, SHELL, Major Airlines.

2, Find out what the employers want and compare them with what you have at the moment.

You will notice that all of these employers want 2-1 and you do not have that. But the good thing is that there are other requirements apart from the 2-1. Work on those requirements.
Example:
Job Title ======>Core Network Engineer
Requirements===>Graduate of Electrical or Computer Engineer, 2-1, 3+ years at position of IP network engineer, networking, servers, UNIX & Windows OS, CISCO knowledge, responsibility, sense for detail, accuracy, proactivity, self-activity.
If you are already like me, the only thing I do not have here is a 2-1 and 3+ years IP n/w experience. But any good recruiter will forgive you that sin, if you're able to prove that you know your onions with the rest.

3, Train for the job

I started training for comptia Network+. After that I trained for server+, then I moved to Unix. On completing Unix I moved to Cisco, which we did with windows server. By the time I was done, I was already a marketable commodity.

4, Learn a Foreign Language

This will broaden you horizon. So if you learn French you can work in French speaking country like Cameroon, Niger, Togo, etc

The truth is that if you graduated with a third class, you can rewrite your own story and you can work anywhere; all you need is a good planning and careful implementation. A least I am living evidence.

Good Luck.grin

I love the fact that you did not blame the system but yourself and that was why you were able to do a positive thing with what you got.
"the best years of your life are the ones in which you decides that your problems are your own.You do not blame on your parents,the ecology or the president,you realise that you control your destiny".

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by krama(m): 7:06am On May 30, 2008
@topic
Sure there is hope for those that finished with 3rd class!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Reetaa: 2:24pm On May 30, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
please sir that is not an issue for discussion.it has been proven.they even make it bettr in the society than anyone else.
THRASH!THRASH!THRASH! AND ABSOLUTE THRASH! .THE PROBLEM IS MOST NIGERIANS HAVE A FALSE IMPRESSION ABOUT THEIR ACADEMIC ABILITY.MOST STUDENTS OPT FOR COURSES THAT ARE WAY BEYOND THEIR ABILITY.I MUST SAY THAT MOST FELLAS WHO CAME OUT OF THE NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY SYSTEM WITH A THIRD CLASS SHOULD TAKE 90% OF THE BLAME.I PERSONALLY KNOW LOTS OF FRIENDS WHO CLUBBED THEIR WAY THROUGH SCHOOL, SO WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THEIR PLIGHT?
FOR THOSE CONSOLING THEMSELVES WITH NONSENSE TALKS OF THIRD CLASS GRAD BEING MARKETABLE THAN FIRST CLASS GRAD,UVE GOT TO WAKE UP FROM YOUR DEEP SLUMBER COZ YOU WOULD GET A SHOCKER FROM THE LABOUR MARKET.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by quickygirl(f): 1:48pm On Jun 02, 2008
@ topic
to all my fellow third class (honours) degree holder, i hail o.nothing do us, Jare, A university degree its self is not even a determinant of success in life in its self (its only a means to an end just a platform to start from) , so with a 3rd class the sky is the limit if you are smart, am a living witness, a lot of people have 2-1 and thats where it ends, i personally make up to =N= 300,000 every month!!!! soon i will be interviewing those with 2-1 and 1st class!! its called common sense. its all in the mind!! Bill Gates did not need Havard to make it, Its common sense and exploring your talent!!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by krama(m): 2:58pm On Jun 02, 2008
Word!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by quickygirl(f): 7:28pm On Jun 02, 2008
Reetaa:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
please sir that is not an issue for discussion.it has been proven.they even make it bettr in the society than anyone else.
THRASH!THRASH!THRASH! AND ABSOLUTE THRASH! .THE PROBLEM IS MOST NIGERIANS HAVE A FALSE IMPRESSION ABOUT THEIR ACADEMIC ABILITY.MOST STUDENTS OPT FOR COURSES THAT ARE WAY BEYOND THEIR ABILITY.I MUST SAY THAT MOST FELLAS WHO CAME OUT OF THE NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY SYSTEM WITH A THIRD CLASS SHOULD TAKE 90% OF THE BLAME.I PERSONALLY KNOW LOTS OF FRIENDS WHO CLUBBED THEIR WAY THROUGH SCHOOL, SO WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THEIR PLIGHT?
FOR THOSE CONSOLING THEMSELVES WITH NONSENSE TALKS OF THIRD CLASS GRAD BEING MARKETABLE THAN FIRST CLASS GRAD,UVE GOT TO WAKE UP FROM YOUR DEEP SLUMBER COZ YOU WOULD GET A SHOCKER FROM THE LABOUR MARKET.
Omo go sit down jare, THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE THAT COULD NOT EVEN GET THIRD CLASS THAT ARE FAR BETTER THAN GARULOUS PEOPLE LIKE YOU, see from home for example- many igbo traders (who never even saw the for walls of university) have solid enterpreneur acumen that you will never have, many first class graduates,2-1 worship the ground that Bill gtes walk on. infact if 2face wants to shag many first class girls will be willing to kill them selves overhim, How many chicks know that you exist? OMO boys and girls with 3rd class NOTHING DO US!! WE RULE HOW WORLD!! afterall we dominate the business world!!no leh leh
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by arumen(m): 12:00pm On Jun 03, 2008
To Him or what did u call yourself?

Is it all does with 3rd class that played when in school and is it all does with 1st class that read well in school?Let me use u as an example u mit have a first class but does it show in the way u reason?I met a lady when serving and while hurrying her up she said what will the LGO do i quote'IS THERE ANYTHING MONEY CANT DO?'some pay their way some sleep their way and some do read.

To Kazan

There's hope i have a friend with 3rd class but with divine favour she got a job in a bank 'what language is this,can someone pls translate 2 english'
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by creamdream: 2:57pm On Jun 04, 2008
@ poster
     There is Hope for the folks with 3rd class, its all about looking for what you know how to do best and channel your energy towards it, you have many options infact,
1.if you want to correct the tiny disadvantage of your first degree.you cn do that and there are many options

2. if you want to go into busiess.that is entrepreneurship, take calculated risk, you can succeed here  if you use Smart work as opposed to hard work!!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by bababuff(m): 4:49pm On Jun 04, 2008
I know somebody, who made 3rd class in Agric Engineering in the late 80s. Joined MFP as a Satellite dish installation guy, where he made some money and moved into politics. He is a billionaire today (yes billion) with a lot of companies. cool

@poster, my advice to you is go and join a political party. Politics full time, and before you know it, you will start employing your friends that made 1st class. grin  cheesy cool
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by tunrexdj(m): 9:25pm On Jun 05, 2008
NIGERIANS HAVE A WAY OF EXTOLLING MEDIOCRITY, third class better pass first class!KEEP DREAMING.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by vitamin(f): 9:59pm On Jun 05, 2008
Hi everyone also finished with 3rd class and finding things a bit difficult. Anyways just completed a certificate course in project management and seeking experience, any info and advice would be welcome.
@ aikyg please would like to know more
@ quickygirl please wot line of business are you into anything 4 the girls?

My email addy is tolu_sonubi@yahoo.com

Thanx
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by creamdream: 8:42pm On Jun 06, 2008
@ Everyone
   FOR those that don't seem to get the point here, This thread  was a query if THIRD CLASS holder have hope or NOt, it has nothing to do with competition between third class and the rest of the world!!
@ the perceptive minds
      THird class degree may appear to be an impediment for getting jobs or competing in the Labour market but there are many solutions to every challenge, 1 there is no proof the a first class holder will always make it in class and 2 there is no proof that a third class holder will notmake it in life!!  IF SOMEONE THAT DID NOT GO TO SCHOOL AT ALL CAN BE SMART ENOUGH TO MAKE GOOD MONEY LEGALLY THEN A THIRD CLASS HOLDER WHO is DETERMINED WILL AND CAN EVEN PERFORM IN LIFE BETTER THAN THOSE WITH HIGHER class
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by creamdream: 10:17pm On Jun 06, 2008
@ Everyone
   FOR those that don't seem to get the point here, This thread  was a query if THIRD CLASS holder have hope or NOt, it has nothing to do with competition between third class and the rest of the world!!
@ the perceptive minds
      THird class degree may appear to be an impediment for getting jobs or competing in the Labour market but there are many solutions to every challenge, 1 there is no proof the a first class holder will always make it in class and 2 there is no proof that a third class holder will notmake it in life!!  IF SOMEONE THAT DID NOT GO TO SCHOOL AT ALL CAN BE SMART ENOUGH TO MAKE GOOD MONEY LEGALLY THEN A THIRD CLASS HOLDER WHO is DETERMINED WILL AND CAN EVEN PERFORM IN LIFE BETTER THAN THOSE WITH HIGHER GRADES!!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by creamdream: 10:18pm On Jun 06, 2008
@ Everyone
@ the perceptive minds
      THird class degree may appear to be an impediment for getting jobs or competing in the Labour market but there are many solutions to every challenge, 1 there is no proof the a first class holder will always make it in class and 2 there is no proof that a third class holder will notmake it in life!!  IF SOMEONE THAT DID NOT GO TO SCHOOL AT ALL CAN BE SMART ENOUGH TO MAKE GOOD MONEY LEGALLY THEN A THIRD CLASS HOLDER WHO is DETERMINED WILL AND CAN EVEN PERFORM IN LIFE BETTER THAN THOSE WITH HIGHER GRADES.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by LAKANYE(m): 12:50am On Jun 07, 2008
arumen:

To Him or what did u call yourself?

Is it all does with 3rd class that played when in school and is it all does with 1st class that read well in school?Let me use u as an example u mit have a first class but does it show in the way u reason?I met a lady when serving and while hurrying her up she said what will the LGO do i quote'IS THERE ANYTHING MONEY CANT DO?'some pay their way some sleep their way and some do read.

To Kazan

There's hope i have a friend with 3rd class but with divine favour she got a job in a bank 'what language is this,can someone please translate 2 english'

Damn, SOME NIGERIAN GRADUATES HAVE A WAY OF DISSECTING ENGLISH INTO SOME OTHER LANGUAGE.
NO WONDER SOME STUDENTS GRADUATED WITH A 3RD CLASS

Yoruba Yoruba Yoruba Yoruba Yoruba grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

AND WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT BANK JOBS IN NIGERIA
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by LAKANYE(m): 3:33am On Jun 07, 2008
adeayo30:

Are you facing the challenges of finding a job?
Do you face daily Statements such as "You don't have enough experience' and 'What Skill do you have? Then look no further, Skillsmart is Here!
We are offering Training courses for the graduates in the Geosciences and ICT

Geoscience
1. 3D Seismic Data Interpretation
2. Qualitative and Qualitative Log Interpretation
(Note;it includes Basic Theory, Paper Based and Computer Based Interpretation)
ICT
1. Java
2. Complete Suite for Web Design
For more info please contact
Ayo: 08061382108 or visit www.hansolresources.com
, Get Smart, Skillsmart grin grin grin

NIGGER, , IS IT FREE COURSES, OR YOU GONNA EXPLOIT THEM TOO LIKE THE PROFESSORS DID IN COLLEGES
YOU SOUNDS LIKE A NIGERIAN 419 COMPANY.

NO WAY FOR YOUR OFFERS HERE, STEP MAN grin grin grin
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by gabelogan(m): 2:36pm On Jun 07, 2008
THE GENERAL PERCEPTION IS THAT GRADUTAES WITH THIRD CLASS ARE NOT AS INTELECTUALLY COMPETENT AS PEOPLE WITH 2:2, 2:1 OR FIRST CLASS, HOWEVER I CHOOSE TO DIFFER.

I KNEW A GIRL WHILE I WAS IN SCHOOL WHO HAD A STRONG 2:2 UP TILL HER THIRD YEAR, BY THE TIME SHE GOT TO THE BEGINNING OF HER THIRD YEAR AND STARTED ATTENDING SOME LECTURES, THERE WAS A PARTICULARLY WELL CONNCETED LECTURER WHO WANTED TO SLEEP WITH HER. WHEN SHE REFUSED, HE MADE SURE THAT SHE FAILED. SHE ENDED UP WITH A THID CLASS.

IN ANOTHER DEPARTMENT, A LECTURER HAD A CRUSH ON THREE GIRLS AND MADE IT A POINT OF DUTY THAT THESE GIRLS MUST DO WELL. THEY ALL ENDED UP GRADUATING WITH 2:1'S.

I BARELY GRADUATED WITH A 2:2 AND IMMEDIATELY WENT TO DO MY MASTERS IN THE UK. WHILE I WAS STUDYING, I HAD LECTURERS COMIN UP TO ME AND TELLING ME THAT IM VERY SMART AND MY COURSEWORK AND PRESENTATIONS WERE ALWAYS COMMENDED. I BEGAN TO HAVE CONFIDENCE IN MY ABILITIES AND ASK MYSELF IF I WAS THESAME PERSON THAT ATTENDED THE PREVIOUS SCHOOL. I REALISED THAT NIGERIAN LECTURERES NEVER GAVE STUDENTS THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE CREATIVE. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO JUST REPRODUCE WHATEVER MATERIAL YOPU ARE GIVEN OR WHATEVER NOTES THE LECTURERS DICTATED IN CLASS.

HAVING CITED ALL THESE SCENARIO'S U FIRST HAVE TO CONVINCE URSELF THAT YOUR CERTIFICATE IS NOT A TRUE REFLECTION OF WHAT YOU ARE INTELLECTUALLY CAPABLE OF DOING (IF IT'S SO IN YOUR CASE) AND TRY AND GET SOME CERTYIFICATIONS BY THE SIDE BECAUSE THATS WHAT MOST COMPANIES ARE LOOKING FOR NOW. THE GENERAL NOTION IS THAT THIRD-CLASS GRADUATES ARE WORTHLESS. I WAS EVEN ALMOST OSTRACIZED BY MY FAMILY WHEN THEY THOUGHT I WAS GOIN GRADUATE WITH A THIRD-CLASS.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by maedan(f): 4:45pm On Jun 09, 2008
@topic.

it's so unfair that some people misunderstood your question. You weren't throwing a pity-party for ursef or "whining". Just asking a simple, heart-felt question. Yes, a third class is one-kind. No, it's not the end of the world. And no, it doesn't mean u're dumb.

i know someone who had a third class in university. He' one of the most intelligent people I've had the good fortune to meet. It's sad that people have to be put in academic box to prove themselves. It's hard sometimes to come down to the mental level of some Nigerian lecturers, who just follow the same themes laid down decades ago and expect you to play along. Just show some element of innovative thinking, and you're fried.

well, the "paper" don't matter. Like some people have been saying, prove those lecturer-buggers wrong, and make something of yourself. You'll walk tall.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by robinspa1: 10:08pm On Jun 15, 2008
It's a pity that we are in a country that we found ourselves in a country that attach a lot to certificates before they employ you.Take a look at the Japanese they give functional education and their economy is growing everyday.The painful part of the issue is that our educational system {higher institution inclusive}is not conducive for learning,we all know what is happening in our universities whereby it is those that play the politics alongside the lecturers receive the their favor or better still if you can do copy and paste from the handout given to you because they usually give out our scripts to mark at times fellow undergraduates.I 've marked for a lecturer while writing my final year project with marking guide that follow routine only and no consideration for extensive reading.Third class student can still make if he or she is good and develop his or her potentials.too much value to certificate is killing our economy,there are 2.1 students who could not express themselves fully in my class university of Lagos,imagine.I'm out
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by maureenfx(f): 9:47am On Jun 25, 2008
its not d end of d world. u shd do certified courses 2 upgrade ur CV
and PGD and Masters
let God do d rest
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by deola007: 1:14pm On Jul 10, 2008
i think we shouldn't castigate this kind of people. they need more encouragements than ranting.
i have an ebook i can send to you free "turning your hobby into a money making enterprise". just send me your email. mine's deolakayt@yahoo.com
technically there's a lot of hope if you are not disqualifying yourself already. lots of people have risen from obscurity to limelight, and your case is not different, just start with what you have, where you are- it's just challenging, not impossible nor difficult.
1. toyin subair of  HITV finished with a pass in law, and he is where he is
2. erastus akingbola of Intercontinental bank did not go to the university and he is where he is
3. femi falana, president west african bar association, finished from ife with a third class, he is where he is
i have more examples, but the difference is what will you score yourself?
4. you can go for certifications or IT training, some companies require people with all that, no matter your course nor class
you could raise money and go for an MBA
5 you could move full scale into entrepreneurship and later employ first class graduates. the owner of chanchagi airline just started speaking english less than five years ago, but he has entrepreneurs and expartriates working for him. who is smarter?
7. what do you want to do with your life?
                   i) make money? go into business
                   ii) make a name? develop ur skills and go into a compqny and make your self indispensible.
you could check my a post on my blog, [/url]>>>http://adeolakayode.com/2008/05/21/escaping-the-70-boosting-your-employment-edge/.
all the best
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by skfa1: 2:19pm On Jul 10, 2008
With GOD all things are possible
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by asamuel: 10:08pm On Jul 14, 2008
Gani Fawehinmi had third class but he is succeeding today. Bill Gates, Steve Job, Michael Dell (these are the three leaders of Microsoft, Apple and Dell) were drop outs in school. They are leading today. It all depends on you! I advise you to forget the past and forge ahead with new commitment. You can still make headway!

Good luck.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by babyblue: 10:15pm On Jul 14, 2008
pple first class, third class or whatever are no determinants for a better tomorrow, yeah some first class students arent better than third class students. being smart is different from being intelligent( read to pass)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? / 6 Reasons Why You Will End Up Even Poorer Than Your Parents / How Did You Get Your Present Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.