Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,209 members, 7,818,707 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... (1758 Views)

Rattling, Knocking Sound After Changing Oil Seal / Mitsubishi Space Wagon 2000 GDI (ABS Light On After Changing The Car Hub). / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Itulah(m): 12:38pm On Jun 18, 2013
I drive a honda Accord 2000 model, I travel alot with the car, I just return from Benin Edo state, I reside in Zaria Kaduna State, I notice that my gear box check light come on and I took the car to the Mech and they advice I change the oil and they drained the old one out and fill it up with Abro Transmission fliud.. Two days later, I went to work as usual and after work, I start my car and engage the reverse and My gearbox start cranking and wont revers and the engine dies off....What do I do plxxx I need help as my car wont move....
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Itulah(m): 12:58pm On Jun 18, 2013
Somebody say something plzzzz
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by obua: 2:38pm On Jun 18, 2013
What. make was there before .
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by donkene(m): 5:13pm On Jun 18, 2013
the oil u bought is original? Are u sure u gear has not spoiled?
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by JUO(m): 7:50pm On Jun 18, 2013
the gearbox don die before you change the oil. how often do u guage the oil? you need a replacement
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by earthrealm(m): 7:59pm On Jun 18, 2013
THAT ABRO IS A CHEAP A/S/S FLUID!!!!..NOT GOOD FOR MOST CARS..HONDAS USE A SPECIAL HONDA ATF..........stop driving the car and change to the recommended atf for your car.
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by 9icetoo(m): 8:39am On Jun 19, 2013
Leave that car wherever it parked now. Dont try to move it another inch. Hopefully the transmission isnt shot by now. Drain out that useless abro fluid u put in. That is not what ur honda uses. Go online and find out the correct atf for ur honda. Buy the correct atf, buy a new gear box filter (original), get a competent mechanic to go and change the filter and refill the oil for you. I pray the trans isnt too far gone, if not, you will have to rebuild it or buy a new one. Wish u the best.
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Itulah(m): 9:26am On Jun 19, 2013
Thanks so much brothers, my Mechanic just came in to toll it to his workshop, I told him all that happen and he said he will contact me later...... Am just so worried
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Ikenna351(m): 10:33am On Jun 19, 2013
Itulah: Thanks so much brothers, my Mechanic just came in to toll it to his workshop, I told him all that happen and he said he will contact me later...... Am just so worried

How did he tow the vehicle? Was the front end lifted up? If not, he may end up killing the transmission completely by towing the car, with the front wheels on the ground.

Its advised to tow auto trans vehicle, with the propelling wheel lifted off the ground, since the transmission oil pump is not at work, to prevent severe damage to the transmission, unless for a short distance at low speed. But for an auto transmission with the issue like yours, that risk shouldnt even be taken.

I may not know much about auto trans, but i know about the above.

Ikenna
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Marpol: 11:50am On Jun 19, 2013
Sorry bros! Just start gathering money for a new gearbox. Next time for any Honda product use Honda Z1 or DW1 ATF. Pele once again.
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by earthrealm(m): 12:01pm On Jun 19, 2013
ignorance is bliss!...lol, not this time.....i so hate that abro transmission fluid.mechanics are so quick to recommend it and car owners also are quick to jump at it...cos its soooooooooooooo cheap...

i nearly wrecked my toyota engine 5yrs ago when i wasnt too well informed about cars... after 2 months my car was finding it hard 2 engage reverse..and enters with a loud thump after about 30 secs!...the useless mechanic who put the abro told me 4 wks after when i came to complain...that my gearbox is bad..that i should start saving up to buy a new gearbox!!!........i had to research and google..and that was how i found out that abro is rubbish and not suitable for my toyota rav4 then.......

armed with this knowledge and my haynes manual..purchases $16, i was able to open /change out the transmission fluid..i bought the totytat recommended type tiv , washed the filter thoroughly with petrol [cudnt see a new filter to buy in naija, later got a new filter from the usa]..and voila...my car was back to life!!!.

later drove the car to the mechanic.....and he was puzzled that my car was still running, and that i didnt follow up on his change the gearbox advice......i subsequently stopped visiting that mechanic...n come to think of it..any mechanic....the few times i go...i just indulge them to know what they think is the problem and test it againt what i already know is the problem...

the morale of the story is : EDUCATE URSELF SO MUCH ABOUT UR CAR, THAT U WUDNT BE AT A MECHANICS MERCY!!...CLUELESS CLOWNS..most of them
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Marpol: 12:30pm On Jun 19, 2013
earthrealm: ignorance is bliss!...lol, not this time.....i so hate that abro transmission fluid.mechanics are so quick to recommend it and car owners also are quick to jump at it...cos its soooooooooooooo cheap...

i nearly wrecked my toyota engine 5yrs ago when i wasnt too well informed about cars... after 2 months my car was finding it hard 2 engage reverse..and enters with a loud thump after about 30 secs!...the useless mechanic who put the abro told me 4 wks after when i came to complain...that my gearbox is bad..that i should start saving up to buy a new gearbox!!!........i had to research and google..and that was how i found out that abro is rubbish and not suitable for my toyota rav4 then.......

armed with this knowledge and my haynes manual..purchases $16, i was able to open /change out the transmission fluid..i bought the totytat recommended type tiv , washed the filter thoroughly with petrol [cudnt see a new filter to buy in naija, later got a new filter from the usa]..and voila...my car was back to life!!!.

later drove the car to the mechanic.....and he was puzzled that my car was still running, and that i didnt follow up on his change the gearbox advice......i subsequently stopped visiting that mechanic...n come to think of it..any mechanic....the few times i go...i just indulge them to know what they think is the problem and test it againt what i already know is the problem...

the morale of the story is : EDUCATE URSELF SO MUCH ABOUT UR CAR, THAT U WUDNT BE AT A MECHANICS MERCY!!...CLUELESS CLOWNS..most of them

Bros seems like you dey provoke!
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Marpol: 1:05pm On Jun 19, 2013
[b]@earthrealm, Do you have someone who helps you in buying the things you need from abroad and shipping them down or is there a way of paying for the stuff and shipping online[/b
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by earthrealm(m): 1:47pm On Jun 19, 2013
i normally buy and ship inside a car from the usa...or i know someone who buys and amazon delivers it to nigeria.....[though if they dont deliver/if its stolen by thieving nipost staff..then u r on ur own OYO!!!.

@marpol...i dey provoke badly ..i dislike the mechanics a lot.....the other day one of them told his client whos brake was binding and heating up n who wanted to take the car on a 120mile trip..to stop intermittently and douse the hot wjheel with water to cool it..

i promptly told the mechanic/owner that thats a bad practise as the water will make the rotors warp .........n the mechanic also agreed with me...so y was he giving that advice in the first place?....
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by osundu(m): 12:14am On Jun 20, 2013
Ur fry wheel is dead.Is a panel wit teeth between de engine and de gearbox.if de teeth is flat,de veh will nt start.
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Itulah(m): 7:19am On Jun 23, 2013
93 thousand naira gone with work manship the mechanic tolled the car with the front wheel rolling and before he got to his workshop, the case became wore. I had to go buy a new gearbox.... It appears a large number of our Nigerian Machanic don't really know what they are doing..... embarassed so sad... guys, I want to thank u all for ur concern God bless...
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by earthrealm(m): 1:08pm On Jun 23, 2013
sorry about ur wahala.., but now u know..help educate others.............I tell naija mechanics are a lil menace.most of the car troubles in Nigeria is caused by them or worsened by them........most times I see a 4wd/suv being towed with the 4wheels on the road!!...whatever was the original problem has just been doubled...as the 4wd drive system/transmission of that suv has been wrecked by that towing............but more of the blame is the owner of the car , cos he failed to read his car manual where its clearly staed not to tow with the 4 wheels on the ground..

@poster..if u buy a toks gearbox...pls make sure u fill it with original Honda atf as recommened for ur car........pour in the excat volume as over/under filling is also very bad for the gear box
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Itulah(m): 5:00pm On Jun 23, 2013
earthrealm: sorry about ur wahala.., but now u know..help educate others.............I tell naija mechanics are a lil menace.most of the car troubles in Nigeria is caused by them or worsened by them........most times I see a 4wd/suv being towed with the 4wheels on the road!!...whatever was the original problem has just been doubled...as the 4wd drive system/transmission of that suv has been wrecked by that towing............but more of the blame is the owner of the car , cos he failed to read his car manual where its clearly staed not to tow with the 4 wheels on the ground..

@poster..if u buy a toks gearbox...pls make sure u fill it with original Honda atf as recommened for ur car........pour in the excat volume as over/under filling is also very bad for the gear box

Ok pal, thanks, but I've learnt my lesson and am going to put the car for sale add up more money and get a Toyota Camry. Never in my life will I put my hard earned money on Honda Automobile ever again.
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by elektra80: 5:17pm On Jun 23, 2013
Itulah:

Ok pal, thanks, but I've learnt my lesson and am going to put the car for sale add up more money and get a Toyota Camry. Never in my life will I put my hard earned money on Honda Automobile ever again.

the problem is not Honda, its the way the car was used. People buy expensive cars and use cheap abro ATF fluid and then complain when tranny gets fried. If u can buy an expensive car, what stops u from buying genuine ATF even if its sold for 3,000 naira per quart. Toyota gear will also get fried when u toll without lifting the driving wheels.
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Itulah(m): 11:52pm On Jun 23, 2013
elektra80:

the problem is not Honda, its the way the car was used. People buy expensive cars and use cheap abro ATF fluid and then complain when tranny gets fried. If u can buy an expensive car, what stops u from buying genuine ATF even if its sold for 3,000 naira per quart. Toyota gear will also get fried when u toll without lifting the driving wheels.

You are right, but my resent visit to honda motor website got me thinking cause there are numerous cases with Honda Transmission failure at a certain number of trip and that got me worried. Probably when this attain that mileage things may fall apart again..... I've just lost faith with honda automobile, it was a good ride anyway, I must give it that but I have to begin it sent fort party.....
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by elektra80: 8:27am On Jun 24, 2013
Itulah:

You are right, but my resent visit to honda motor website got me thinking cause there are numerous cases with Honda Transmission failure at a certain number of trip and that got me worried. Probably when this attain that mileage things may fall apart again..... I've just lost faith with honda automobile, it was a good ride anyway, I must give it that but I have to begin it sent fort party.....

Ok I feel ur pain. Follow ur heart. You might wanna look at these http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t27959_ds450692
http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/toyota/T8NU659ENN2CSB8FH

There is no perfect car, all cars have their issues so if u keep reading online forums to check car problems then trust me no car will be worth buying lol. JUst have a good maintenance culture.
Re: My Gearbox Is Cranking After Changing The Oil.... by Itulah(m): 8:30am On Jun 24, 2013
elektra80:

Ok I feel ur pain. Follow ur heart. You might wanna look at these http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t27959_ds450692
http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/toyota/T8NU659ENN2CSB8FH

There is no perfect car, all cars have their issues so if u keep reading online forums to check car problems then trust me no car will be worth buying lol. JUst have a good maintenance culture.

Thanks so very much brother, you are the best...

(1) (Reply)

7 Car Parts And Accessories That Usually Get Stolen In Nigeria / Car Battery Drains Without No Visible Cause. / Avoid NNPC Mega Scam Stations!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.