Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,546 members, 7,819,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? (4897 Views)

Buhari Has Given Nigerians Negative Change – Fasehun. / Negative Campaigning In Nigeria. / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Dauda(m): 4:42am On May 28, 2006
I believe the average Nigerian dearly loves Nigeria. The reason we sometimes get very emotional and very negative about Nigeria is because we realize that the resources available to us makes it possible for us to really be the giant of Africa. Unfortunately, mismanagement from the top to the bottom, makes it hard to be unflinchingly proud of our nation. I love Nigeria dearly.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Nia: 4:47am On May 28, 2006
I am cosigning to what davidylan wrote. Truth is, there is no excuse for what we have now in Naija. We are one of the most lucky groups of people in the world and yet remain at the lowest level in society. We don't have the natural disasters that other regions around the world face, we have resources in abundance to allow our citizens to live decently. Yet, most of our citizens continue to suffer because of those that's got the populace under their thumbs. Understandably this can deal a heavy blow to feelings of patriotism. People are frustrated because they know that man was never meant to live the way we do in naija. I think there's more than a billion reasons to be negative about Naija and the real question should prolly be :Why are Nigerians Positive about Naija? Having said this though, there are many people out there who are still hopeful about the country.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by gidig(m): 2:44pm On May 28, 2006
Why are Nigerians very negative about their country?Well,in my own opinion,for the vast majority of them,they look only at the very negative things about their country and look away from the improvements in some other areas.

Years back, I and my friends would gather and begin to yab this country about all that we have gone through;how things are not going very well.Our compalints nevr cahnged anything.And some of the attitudes I have seen some people show on this forum have been very negative to the point of suggesting that nothing good can come out Nigeria.Someone said something about our foreign reserves.That was the handywork of some people in a time of oppurtuntiy created by the oil price increase.We had this same oppurtunty in the past under IBB and we cant trace the money now.They did something and contributed something.In years to come,they will at least tell their childern that they did something for that country instead of just complaining about how Nigeria is not like Eldorado!

I have no apology to offer to anyone anywhere in the world that is reading this.I am a firm believer in this country,Nigeria.I see some of the many challenges that I face living and doing business here as an oppurtuntiy to think deeper and create value.Nigeria is not America or the Uk and I will not spend the better part of my life whining about it!!I have made up my mind that I will give all that I can to make this country better and make a success of my life here.

It is a choice that fuels my mind and help me create the kinds of oppurtunity for myself and those around me.You will not find me in the midst of people 'badmouthing' the country no matter what some of those silly politicians are doing.

Greatness comes from within us not necessarily around us. Any person who waits on the government entirely to do everything for it risks a lot.Ask the people who Hurricane Katrina killed.The nature of government is to create the right institutions and environment for people to thrive and make progress.Some people have chosen to be a step ahaed and work inspite of this lack of government responsibility.It is hard but people are making it against the odds.

Why are(some) Nigerians are very negative about their country? My piece:they are looking at the wrong things.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by silans(m): 4:43pm On May 28, 2006
This is a real case and a challenge to us all in the aspect of foreign goods,
In the issue of prefering made in abroad to nigerian made, i think the caused is from the government, if they impose a heavy tarriff on the imports of some certain foreign goods, many nigerians will prefer Nigerian made goods to foreign, and also, if the Government encourage our infant industries, things will go well, our economy will improve and the quality of our product will also be improved,

10nks.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Ashiwaju(m): 5:05pm On May 28, 2006
Well, from what i can see, we dont all understand of what consequencies it would be if they impose high tariff on Imported good. You guys should talk from individual perspectives, if the local industries must work they should do more of quality and with that people would prefer them to foriegn goods.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Oracle(m): 10:48pm On May 28, 2006
well i guess itz the consiousness of nigerians to the condition of their country
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by GL(f): 1:30am On May 29, 2006
Ashiwaju:

Well, from what i can see, we don't all understand of what consequencies it would be if they impose high tariff on Imported good. You guys should talk from individual perspectives, if the local industries must work they should do more of quality and with that people would prefer them to foriegn goods.

I believe imposing high tariffs would be good for the local industries. It would put foreign goods out of the reach of most people, and they would be forced to buy local products. we have a mentality that puts down any thing local. we struggle to buy foreign products because it's like a status symbol, being able to use the most expensive goods. we dont even give the locally made goods a chance. if we're forced to use them, we would discover the ones that are good, the ones that are substandard and can help the local industries improve.

also, we'll be securing local jobs rather than foreign ones. i think that's enough to encourage anyone. even those who have good jobs would benefit from the increased employment patronizing locally made procucts can provide.

concerning quality, higher patronage would provide the funds local companies require to improve their quality. plus, we tend to look down on made in Nigerian goods. most of the Asian products we buy are of poor quality. if we can spend so much on Chinese goods that are mostly imitation goods, we might as well spend that money on Nigerian goods. I believe Nigerians are capable of producing better products than the Chinese.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by sexynes(f): 8:58am On May 29, 2006
@gidig,
I love your reply and your patriotism. I think it is the right mentality to have. We all have to realize that bitching and moaning is not going to solve anything. We need to make a difference starting within ourselves. Nigeria is still a great country and I believe that there are people out there (especially with our generation) that are willing to make changes. I know I have a plan and unless it is God's will, it'll definitely come to pass.
As for lack of patriotism, I believe that as much as people have negative feelings, there is still a love for Nigeria that cannot die and it is as a result of that love that people are so angry at the state it's in. I was at the 2Face concert in Maryland and the Nigerian anthem came up. Every single person got up and everyone was singing and shouting it so happily. At that point, I felt great hope for Nigeria and I realized that if that unity is transferred to our relations with other Nigerians here as well as in our homeland, we would be able to move forward. The one major thing Nigerians lack is unity.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 9:36am On May 29, 2006
Sexy_nes, what you said is very untrue. Most Nigerians do not have any love for the country. Just because all of you have fled the country, only then can you speak of love for Nigeria. I too am guilty of leaving the country. But at the very least, I am not pretending that Nigeria is something special, because it really isn't. As for the whole Giant of Africa crap that all the unwashed illiterates love to spout out about Nigeria, what do you expect when you lump all the ethnic groups in the most populace region in the continent together?

If you really want to salvage Nigeria, you should take a look at my thread called Peaceful Solution TO The Nigerian Question. Only by implementing policies similar to that can Nigeria become anything other than a complete failure. To make matters worse, Nigeria is in such a terrible state even though we are the 6th leading exporter of oil. At the rate things are going, once people move on to the next new fuel (40 years or so) Nigeria would be the most miserable place on earth.

And finally, If I were you, I'll try not to hang around Nigerians that frequent parties in America. They are by far the most moronic and shallow individuals you can possibly come across in the United States. And they are noisy too. So, enjoy standing up in respect for your precious nation that you fled because it is such a failure. Hmmm. . . Ignorance is bliss.

Sexy_nes, do you have any idea how Nigeria came to exist? If you did, you would not comment on lack of unity. Maybe you should spend a little less time standing up during the Nigerian Anthem and more time researching the archives of history.

In advance, you have my apologies if I came across a little to harsh. My comments are meant to be an eye-opener, they are not meant to be taken as a personal attack.  cool
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by jgirl3: 10:50am On May 29, 2006
Well think about it this way - with the kind of news you hear about Nigeria, it is not hard to have negative thoughts about it. As for me, i am happy to be nigerian and i love my country - home sweet home
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by hydee0k(m): 10:54am On May 29, 2006
j-girl:

Well think about it this way - with the kind of news you hear about Nigeria, it is not hard to have negative thoughts about it. As for me, i am happy to be nigerian and i love my country - home sweet home
if i ask you that again next year will your answer still be the same, o girl no decive your self
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by seeker(m): 11:01am On May 29, 2006
Simply because it's difficult to be positive about the negative. In fact +ve and -ve neutralize each other, and what you have is apathy, which I believe is most people's feeling for Nigeria.

But more seriosly, "feeling" either +ve or -ve will do nothing to improve the way things are. Whats required is +ve action.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by otokx(m): 2:00pm On May 29, 2006
we are just being honest. there is the good and the bad side of Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by sexynes(f): 3:49pm On May 29, 2006
@Afeni,
it's kinda hard not to see your comments are harsh. Please don't call me ignorant because I do not get into an argument without knowing what I'm getting into. I have not fled Nigeria and I try to go back as much as possible (not once in 5 years or anything like that). I'm there a lot and I know what the atmosphere is like. It's people like you that make it hard for people to believe that anything good comes out from Nigeria. I am from Nigeria and I know I am good and if someone like me is Nigerian, then there's no doubt that there is some hope for Nigeria. I do know how Nigeria came to be about. I am not stupid and I like to read. I do not appreciate you calling the Nigerians here shallow and stupid because the truth of the matter is you do not know them and cannot make such statements. I do not know all of them as well and I won't go about saying that they are shallow. The truth of the matter is that there's nothing wrong with loving your country. Your anger towards Nigeria may be justified but nothing justifies complete hatred. I'm definitely going to read your thread but please realize that listening to people without judgments about them is the best way to learn. (I can tell you are very likely a political science major, correct me if I'm wrong). Oh yeah, most of the Nigerians I know here are planning to go back to Nigeria, if they actually do is left to be seen. But know that whatever you tell me, I still have a great love for Nigeria and I'm not the only one out there and as long as there are people out there that still have that love and still believe in Nigeria, then the country is definitely not going to sink into oblivion or something like that.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Seun(m): 4:21pm On May 29, 2006
I apologize on Afeni's behalf.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by creams(f): 5:24pm On May 29, 2006
It's only when they realised that they're the ones thinking negative about themself that's wen they'll think negative about the country. u don't have to blame the country or colour/family that God created u into.

it's u that u hav to change, u don't have to stop where ur leaders stop u find a way to move forward.

So start thinking positive nd u'll be suprised how things will change even in de foriegn land they're complaining about their own country. So Think Big
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 5:32pm On May 29, 2006
Sexy_nes, like I said at the bottom of my post, I apologize if my comments are taken as an insult.

Also, I have a few Nigerian friends here, but non of them go clubbing on a daily basis. My comments about being moronic and shallow was aimed at those that go clubbing (to party) on a nightly basis.

While I might have no love for Nigeria, I do like parts of the country. Particular the southern People. It is not like I hate the northerner I come across, it is just that the implementation of Sharia by their politicians strikes me as a little self-centred and it hurts the image of the country.

Last, the ignorance is bliss comment is a blanket statement. It was not meant to imply that you are lacking in knowledge about all subjects. Just lacking in real Nigerian information (i.e. no State propaganda)  cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by omogenaija(f): 2:53am On May 31, 2006
Nigeria just like any other country , has its negative and postive. Even America just has its negatives. But Nigeria has a bigger percent of negatives , but that doesnt mean people should 4get the good part of Naija.

I know Nigeria's corrpution's level is high.
There labs and hospitals arent as advance.
Proverty level is high.

But that doesnt mean we should 4get that the nigerian culture is beautiful.
Nigerians are beautiful.
Nigerian food taste good.
Nigerian music is hotter than pepe soup.
Nigerian movies are good and getting better.

And lastly from what I've seen , students that go to high school in Nigeria are smarter than the high school students in America.

So why are Nigerians negative about Nigeria Maybe because when they see the negative they forget about the postive parts of Nigeria.

But thats just my view. What do I know
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 2:58am On May 31, 2006
Omegenaija, I won't say that Nigerian high school students are smarter than American high school students. You are comparing the elite private schools in Nigeria to the public schools in America. You should get to know some of the students from private schools in America. They are just as smart, and in some areas, smarter than private school Nigerian students.

Also keep in mind that the way Nigerias educational system is, there is a lot of cramming of useless information. What really matters is English and Math. All the cramming of advanced biology is only needed for those that are interested in entering the science field. Hence, those courses should be kept for college level like it is in America.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by jgirl3: 3:01am On May 31, 2006
The thing is that in Nigeria, they prepare us for any kind of career we want to go into. Like to me economics was supposedly useless, but it pays off at the end because you know a little bit about everything.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by omogenaija(f): 3:01am On May 31, 2006
@ Afeni , u might be right. But i'm talking bout what i've seen. se o ti gbo ??

well , from what i've seen and read i will rather have my children go to high school in naija and then go overseas for university
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 3:03am On May 31, 2006
I understand. Was just making sure. cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Ashiwaju(m): 3:08am On May 31, 2006
Rephrase : Why are the govt of Nigeria negative about Nigerians and youths?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by danielorde(m): 8:12am On May 31, 2006
Hey Fellas,

I am a Nigerian in Nigeria and this is my conclusion of the nigeria issue. We all have a slave mentality!!! We have all refused to accept that we are the architect of our own destiny, we all just love to blame everything else but us for what is wrong. I am not talking in general terms now but as an Individual, how often do you hold yourslef responsible for the wrong happening to you or in your environment? We prefer to blame something or someone else, the most despicable is to blame the devil, this one I find amazing!

I think it is time we start calling ourselves to order as individuals, if I am disciplined and you choose to be disciplined and say 1 percent of Nigerians choose to be , the country will improve. Ask yourself when last did you tell a simple truth? Ahah! u cannot even remeber, ok for those who do tell the truth. when last did you correct the errant bike man (Okada rider) for going on the wrong lane, or the Bus driver for going on the wrong lane, interestingly you were probabaly in the bus but because you are in a hurry, u were actually thanking God that the guy was doing the wrong thing! The bus guy was facing on coming vehicle.

The solution to this negative Nigerian thing is that I start with myself, I will do my best to be positive , rather than saying something like we do not have credible leaders in power, I'd rather say how can we get credible leaders into power, if we ask the right questions we'll get the right answers, if we ask the wrong questions We'll definitely get same kinda answers,

Like I always say, I BE NAIJA TILL I DIE, I go go yankee or Jand, BUt NAIJA NA MY BLOOD, Na for my eye this country go become great pass the ones wey my Papa or grand pa talk about. NAIJA FOR LIFE,

Regards,
Olodumare
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by sexynes(f): 3:24pm On Jun 01, 2006
Hey Afeni,
You make me laugh and I'm going to leave it at that. Oh yeah, Please don't judge people you don't know because the fact still remains that even those that go clubbing everyday may not be as shallow minded as you would think them to be. But, each man to his opinion.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Drusilla(f): 3:18am On Jun 09, 2006
Where there is no vision, the people perish.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by bolaoni(m): 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2006
The truth has to be told at times. We are not saying we don't love our country, but there are so many stupid things going on that makes you wonder if you are in the right place at all.

I am always a positive minded person at all times and I am making something good out of it, but Naija situation may even make your positiveness disappear at times.

Naija is a place where abnormalities are treated as normal and it occurs both within the leaders and the followers.

Omoge, will you be willing to send your child(ren) to Oke Odo High School or igbo Elerin Secondary school? You need to come and see some schools that don't have roof over them. No chairs and students sit on mats. My church donated some sets of seats to a school and there and then Teachers were struggling with the students for chairs just because they were not provided with one.

How positive can you be about that one? Maybe the likes of Omoge should send their wards to such schools, that is when you will understand what people are really passing through. Sorry do we have any school in the United States that is like that? Can students who pass through such conditions be smarter than their American colleagues?

It is good to be positive, but REALITY is also GOOD!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by molluma(f): 4:08pm On Jun 13, 2006
let me start by saying i love Nigeria with all her flaws. but, and there is always a but the country has a way of making you hate her every once in a while.you go to buy a made in Nigeria product two days later you are buying another one coz the first has spiolt.at that moment you cant have faith in the country.a good example is when i buy a candle coz PHCN have done the usual,the candle is so soft and i cant get it to stand straight.at moments like that i want to pack up and leave without looking back.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Seun(m): 6:12pm On Jun 13, 2006
a good example is when i buy a candle because PHCN have done the usual,the candle is so soft and i can't get it to stand straigh
You should go and make your own candles if you are not satisfied with the ones on sale.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by omogenaija(f): 9:28pm On Jun 13, 2006
@ bolaoni

of course when I said I would send my child to school in naija doesn't mean I would send them to a shitty school, I know all secondary schools aren't that bad.

the goal of my previous post was to say that most of the students that i know, seen, and heard bout that go to secondary school in naija are smarter, because they learn more things and the grading system is harder.

i know naija has its downs, but what country doesn't. everything is what u make of it. all it depends on ur goals in life. as for me i want to be big in naija and then america.(some ppl think i'm crazy because i think like that, but mi o give a FXCK !!!!!)

P.S
to everybody that thinks america is best, trust me its not.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by molluma(f): 8:31am On Jun 14, 2006
well candle making aint my industry.i cant start making everything that is not made to my satisfaction now can i?
Seun:

You should go and make your own candles if you are not satisfied with the ones on sale.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 8:35am On Jun 14, 2006
molluma, I thought you have been here long enough to realize that when it comes to business, don't always take what Seun has to say to heart. Otherwise, you might end up manually producing everything you need. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Come Its Only Nigerians Abroad That Are Complaining / Winter In Kano: Food Scarcity May Hit The South / Breaking: FG Orders IG To Hand Over Saraki Money Laundering Case File

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.