Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? (4898 Views)

Buhari Has Given Nigerians Negative Change – Fasehun. / Negative Campaigning In Nigeria. / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by ramono(m): 9:32pm On May 19, 2006
Some time ago, my South African friends asked me why Nigerians are negative about their own country. Believe me, they proved it with examples and I really struggled to defend myself. They said despite the problems in their country, they couldnt be that negative about it.

But using this very forum as a case study, its unfortunate that many posts are indicative of this.

A trip to the market will entail comments like 'dont give me made in Nigeria o, na imported I want'.
The ports are full of imported scrap. Our youths are taking menial jobs in Europe under inhuman conditions.

What do u think is responsible for this? Are we a pessimistic bunch? Is Nigeria that bad?? Worse than the Asian countries? Do they moan so much?

Nairalanders, please comment.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 9:39pm On May 19, 2006
Nigeria is in a very terrible state. Personally, I do not like the country. I will gladly give my life to have the country break-up. You really cannot blame other Nigerians for not the liking the country either. The current system is corrupt, and due to the large number of ethnic groups, their politics is devoid of almost any meaning. Nigeria has been a Democracy for 8 years now, and I am still waiting for someone who can tell me what the political parties stand for (Save the propaganda for the morons).

As for the people wanting foreign made goods, the government has to step-in and impose tariffs on foreign goods. That way, people would have greater incentives to buy made in Nigeria. Of course that would not happen because the government is weak and too fearful of pissing off foreign nations.

Woot!! Hooray for Nigeria!! cry
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by babwilms(m): 11:51pm On May 19, 2006
I thought i was the only one who noticed it. Mostly all Nigerians i know have a negative view about our country. I do understand why but it doesn't mean we should not have a positive views of Nigeria. I mean, you see some of our students here in UK and they have no plans of ever going back to Nigeria. Why? Even my brother is part of those people who sees nothing good in Nigeria.

If we do not have positive views about Nigeria, how then will other countries see anything good in us?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by GL(f): 12:25am On May 20, 2006
I guess it makes the situation of things easier for some ppl to bear. They don't expect any thing good so they dont get bothered when nothing good comes. I believe we should be very positive about Nigeria. There are a lot of positive things in this country, besides we all make up Nigeria. Whatever our views about this country are, they are only a reflection of ourselves.

Concerning made-in-Nigeria products, we have this mentality that anything that comes from abroad must be better, and that anything that is more expensive must be better. It is like a status symbol when you use only foreign products; the more expensive, the better. This probably explains why we always love to go for big things. I decided recently that I would use more Nigerian products than I've been using. I just started choosing some Nigerian household products over foreign ones. They aren't always the best, but they aren't the worst. The funny thing is most Chinese products (or Asian) that are imported into the country are imitations and very inferior. I believe that Nigerians can make better products. I remember buying a Chinese calculator some years ago, d '4' button never worked. Nigerians can do better than that, yet we dont mind managing these inferior foreign products.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Ndipe(m): 7:13am On May 20, 2006
I am in the minority of Nigerians who have a positive view of the country. I had a memorable experience growing up in Nigeria. Yeah, I had to cope with non payment of my parents salaries, civil unrest and tension on campus, austerity measures and all that. But the fun times I had with family and friends certainly overshadows its shortcomings. I love Nigeria and while the political situation is not the best, at least, we are better off than some countries, mired in civil war, ethnic conflicts, etc. It could be worse in Nigeria, so we all have to count our blessings.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by dblock(m): 7:27am On May 20, 2006
Nigerians(The Civilians) ruined Nigeria, I'ts so stupid so we run away. Everyone's always blaming the leaders we voted for 'em rigged or not if it is rigged haven't we the brains to protest. It won't take a good president to change this nation the people need changing
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Ashiwaju(m): 10:17am On May 20, 2006
For as long as we have the same set of people(despicable politicians and the Milatary) responsible for the mess in Nigeria, changing from Kaaki to Agbada, we can't run a way from negative thoughts, please and please this has nothing to do with breaking up or being pessimistics, Would you praise a master who have oppresed you, the one who have deprived you, dipressed you and a master who have always undermined you, a master who have failed you for so many years, tell me?!

People have every right to feel negative when it coems to nigeria but i support productive criticism, good or bad. its the only way to make the looters see that we are no more fools that we were in the 60's,70's,80's and the 90's. its the 21st centruy and things have to change.

Nigeria has come to STAY, Its our home, its were we belong and we must make it Work. Long live Nigeria, Long Live Africa!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by dblock(m): 6:54am On May 21, 2006
sometime in the 70s a guy was trying to build a subway for Nigeria he got killed. Abiola should have been pres, he got killed. Nigeria does produce good leaders. What Nigeria needs is a rawlings(someone who can turn the country around completely). someone to turn our sadness and negativity into happiness and creativity
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by GL(f): 12:50am On May 22, 2006
We've had Northern, Southern, Christian, Muslim leaders - all Nigerians. They've all been the same. There is corruption in the church, companies, government agencies. This means that we Nigerians - civilians and military - all have a problem. We think too much about riches, status etc. We choose role models based on success only without considering morals. Even gatemen are corrupt; some times you have to bribe them to make them perform their duties. Politicians use ordinary ppl to rig elections.

Even Nigerians abroad get involved in terrible things that give us a bad image abroad. They have the opportunity to work and get paid, but many would rather cheat. One Nigerian in South Africa said on an interview on NTA that it's mainly because their parents/families in Nigeria pressurize them to send the dollars home.

We need is a subject that teaches some of these moral values in our primary and secondary school curiculum. Media houses can help by downplaying the wealth and successes of celebrities and focusing on the moral vaules that helped them. (Nigerians are very motivated ppl, we really dont need to see Mr. A's yatch to want to be successful) Religious leaders should not only teach these things but practice them. Churches should stop collecting stolen/embezzled money.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 1:37am On May 22, 2006
GL, Obasonja is a Christian Nigeria, and I think he is doing a pretty good job (Note:I am not a Christian). So, I think it is completely wrong to criticize all leaders because of the mis-deeds of the former Military Heads of State that wrecked the economy.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by GL(f): 2:30am On May 22, 2006
OK. Maybe I should have said that Nigerians say they are all the same. What I mean is that we've made the same complaints about all our leaders. I also believe OBJ is doing well. In fact, I believe He is better than the past leaders though I've known only a few.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 2:33am On May 22, 2006
I think the reason why the Nigerian public might think OBJ is doing a bad job is because of shady politicians that lie about the capabilities of the State. There are millions of Nigerians that truly believe that the state can afford to make them all rich, but is choosing not to because of corruption. Such blatant lies is continually spread by these corrupt politicians that would do and say just about anything to get into power.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by GL(f): 3:01am On May 22, 2006
true. like Gov. Yerima of Zamfara who was shown on tv yesterday promising the heaven and earth he's not been able to provide Zamfarans in 8 years.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 3:14am On May 22, 2006
Did he offer a plan on how he planned to deliver heaven? smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by GL(f): 3:27am On May 22, 2006
I don't know, he might have. I went away when I heard him mention "sharia".

I dont believe he has any other plan except to make Nigeria a muslim state. it's a good thing that he can't win.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by DaHitler(m): 3:37am On May 22, 2006
ramono, if the economy continues to improve at its current pace (6.9 percent growth) the feelings that Nigerians have to wards the country should improve. I just hope that growth like this is sustainable after the bust of the oil market.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by ramono(m): 9:37pm On May 22, 2006
Nigeria's problems-greed, corruption, fraud etc are all in the mind set. I also feel the solution to Nigeria's problem starts from the mindset. Positive thinking, determination, cooperation can take us along the way forward.

We cannot all move to the US or Europe for a better life. These nations are even tired of us-so why dont we look inwards?

The few changes in Nigeria now such as debt settlement and other reforms are a result of positive thinking, determination and cooperation.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Badman888(m): 10:12pm On May 22, 2006
No matter how positive you try to think about Nigeria, its still goes backwards
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:33pm On May 22, 2006
Nigerians are not negative about their country. Ask the average nigerian and he will tell you he'd rather live in nigeria than anywhere else in the world.
Nigerians know their country has the resources to be the most technologically advanced and richest nation in africa. They see what other nations without oil have done. They see british with no resources yet is one of the world's most powerful nations. They see the likes of Japan, China and malaysia who were at par with us less than 50yrs ago but have become world powers today while we descended as low as the 2nd poorest nation on earth.

Nigerians cannot understand why their country takes 2 steps forward and 5 backward. They see their bright minds lecturing in foreign universities and wonder why their own schools are so bad. They see the likes of Wole Soyinka teaching the white men english and wonder why their home lecturers find it hard to speak the same language. They see those in power sharing millions in bribe,, funiture allowance, foreign trips, security votes and yet can't understand why there are no funds when it comes to NEPA, health, good roads, social security, pensions, salaries and infrastructure.
They here of fantastic figures in foreign reserve yet have to contend with hunger, disease and poverty.

They see good roads in tiny togo, they see uninterrupted eletricity in small ghana, they see good public infrastructure in helpless benin and yet can't understand why nothing works in their own darling land.

Nigerians do not dislike their country, they are only fed up with the generation that systematically and consciously underdeveloped and criminally ruined Nigeria because of their own greed.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Seun(m): 11:44pm On May 22, 2006
They here of fantastic figures in foreign reserve yet have to contend with hunger, disease and poverty.
if they spend it some people will be unhappy. if they retain it, others will be unhappy. You cannot satisfy all the people all the time. This is why I am wishing for small government that puts all the resources in private hands.

When you have a small government, a little bit of what would have been the foreign reserve will be in my pocket, and a little bit in your pocket. If I believe in saving, I will save my own portion. If you believe in spending, you will spend your own portion. Instead of whining about NEPA, I would build my own power stations. Instead of whining about the quality of education, I will build my own superior schools. Government will handle just laws and their enforcement.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by WesleyanA(f): 12:26am On May 27, 2006
Seun:

if they spend it some people will be unhappy. if they retain it, others will be unhappy. You cannot satisfy all the people all the time. This is why I am wishing for small government that puts all the resources in private hands.

When you have a small government, a little bit of what would have been the foreign reserve will be in my pocket, and a little bit in your pocket. If I believe in saving, I will save my own portion. If you believe in spending, you will spend your own portion. Instead of whining about NEPA, I would build my own power stations. Instead of whining about the quality of education, I will build my own superior schools. Government will handle just laws and their enforcement.

and the result of this will be concentrated wealth (money in the hand of a few).
a majority of the pop. is already living in poverty  undecided, we don't want more of that. I'm glad for you if you're a businessman who hopes to be a Rockefeller some day.

Say No to Laissez-faire!

I'm mostly positive about Nigeria. Just the government is bad and the corruption. Our people could also be a bit more tolerant.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by medube(m): 5:01pm On May 27, 2006
"Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria?"

Listent to the song ME I GO YARN by ElDee, I think it answers the question.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Idekeson(m): 5:16pm On May 27, 2006
Most Nigerians are just frustrated with the way things are. Despite the way we potray the country, usually amongst ourselves, we still identify with the country. There is still a sense of pride introducing yourself as a Nigerian rather than the generic connotation of "African".
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Rottweiler(m): 10:40pm On May 27, 2006
Dblock:

Nigerians(The Civilians) ruined Nigeria, I'ts so stupid so we run away. Everyone's always blaming the leaders we voted for 'em rigged or not if it is rigged haven't we the brains to protest. It won't take a good president to change this nation the people need changing

Haven't we the brains to protest? NO we don't. What we have is the same brains that you have which told you to check out of the country. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:41pm On May 27, 2006
thats Cuz of their ''black'' mentality
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Rottweiler(m): 10:48pm On May 27, 2006
Nigerians are negative about Nigeria because:
(1) there is no portable water
(2) electricity is more or less non-existent
(3) our roads are in terrible shape
(4) educational structures have crumbled
(5) foodstuffs are expensive
(6) policemen harrass and brutalise innocent citizens
(7) there are more unemployed people than the employed
etc etc etc
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by medube(m): 11:06pm On May 27, 2006
Rhodalyn:

thats Cuz of their ''black'' mentality

I don't think it has anything to do with color and therefore there should be no reason for racial talks,
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Rhodalyn(f): 11:12pm On May 27, 2006
medube:

I don't think it has anything to do with color and therefore there should be no reason for racial talks,
lol cheesy cheesy this aint racial talk cheesy black mentality is the perception of black people, U know like we've got this mentality that we cant go Up kind of thing U know what i mean kiss kiss come'on why would i insult ma people cheesy kiss kiss
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by medube(m): 11:15pm On May 27, 2006
Rhodalyn:

U know like we've got this mentality that we can't go Up kind of thing U know what i mean

I think you are sufferring from an inferiority complex,

Rhodalyn:

come'on why would i insult ma people

I dunno, you tell us,
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Rhodalyn(f): 11:17pm On May 27, 2006
whatever dude, whatever grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:55pm On May 27, 2006
Rhodalyn:

lol cheesy cheesy this aint racial talk cheesy black mentality is the perception of black people, U know like we've got this mentality that we can't go Up kind of thing U know what i mean kiss kiss come'on why would i insult ma people cheesy kiss kiss

Please replace the "we've" with "i've"! i certainly haven't got your so-called mentality that "we" can't go up. I never say i can't, what anyone can do, i more can do it!
And it's got absolutely nothing to do with the "black" mentality, its got more to do with those who have brainwashed the likes of u into believing that africans have got a "mentality" that they can't go up!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Negative About Nigeria? by medube(m): 2:34am On May 28, 2006
davidylan:

Please replace the "we've" with "i've"! i certainly haven't got your so-called mentality that "we" can't go up. I never say i can't, what anyone can do, i more can do it!
And it's got absolutely nothing to do with the "black" mentality, its got more to do with those who have brainwashed the likes of u into believing that africans have got a "mentality" that they can't go up!

Thank you jare my brother, you took the words out of my mouth,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board / Dialogue With Boko Haram - El-Rufai To FG / PDP May Sack Anti-tukur State Chairmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.