Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

Can U Marry Osu - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can U Marry Osu (14028 Views)

Guys, Can U Marry A Girl That Has Slept With Your Friend? / Guys Pls Say The Truth Can U Marry A Scarred Girl With Burns On Her Body / Can U Marry An Hiv Positive Patience If U Are Negative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can U Marry Osu by jajajaja828: 8:47pm On Jun 19, 2013
i love her so much. my elder brother told me she is osu. i want to marry her. advise pls
Re: Can U Marry Osu by jmoha: 8:48pm On Jun 19, 2013
great
Re: Can U Marry Osu by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jun 19, 2013
as in Gabriel Osu?
Re: Can U Marry Osu by Fhemmmy: 8:56pm On Jun 19, 2013
What is OSU?

1 Like

Re: Can U Marry Osu by kreamidiva(f): 10:01pm On Jun 19, 2013
Biko what is osu? Is dat thing still in existence?do people still discriminate against people like that?na wah o.
Re: Can U Marry Osu by mej67: 3:27am On Jun 20, 2013
I know what osu is.
Upfront, I tell you that for me , personally, it doesn't count for anything. Her long great grand parents might have been something but it should long cease to exists.

But we are in a clash of cultures where we are not sure whether to follow western civilization and ways of life or our traditional ways. Often its a mix, and a bad one.

Risk angle: Everything depends on your risk appetite.

Marriage is filled with so many uncertainties and unknowns -whether you(she) could bear children, and even when they come, whether they would be healthy and not sickly, the marriage bringing economic prosperity and not hardship, etc. So what people do is to, as much as possible, eliminate upfront, as many of the factors that could pose a danger later. Like genotype matching, avoiding partners with family history of incurable diseases or affliction, etc., etc. But in truth, that only provides assurance and guarantees nothing. Who says a daughter of a non-diabetic or non-asthmatic won't develop such in life?

So what people do for the most part is take a plunge and pray for the best. That's why marriage is sometimes referred to as a leap of faith.

In your situation, if you love your woman, you must be ready to take the plunge with her and have the conviction to weather the storm. Tell your people, that the first in line and the one to me most affected by any calamity occasioned by her 'status' is you and all you require is their blessing and you are determined to face whatever comes.

With Christianity and modern technology man, you have little to worry about. I am even sure and totally convinced that nothing will follow it. In fact God will bless you for obeying his word and not discriminate.

Definitely, some will some of your people will continue to discourage you, fearing that it could come and affect them/the entire family. -Lie. Just hold your head high and face your life. Finally, when you marry her, you have less traffic of unwanted relatives trooping to your home as is with our culture.

3 Likes

Re: Can U Marry Osu by Nobody: 3:55am On Jun 20, 2013
Hmmmm,Alaigbo !!!
Re: Can U Marry Osu by Mynd44: 6:18am On Jun 20, 2013
All forms of discrimination is wrong
Re: Can U Marry Osu by Nobody: 6:32am On Jun 20, 2013
Somebody should please define the word for me.
I've forgotten! sad
Re: Can U Marry Osu by Exponental(m): 6:53am On Jun 20, 2013
Fhemmmy: What is OSU?
Ogun State University (OSU). It is now OOU, Olabisi Onabanjo University.

5 Likes

Re: Can U Marry Osu by Nobody: 6:53am On Jun 20, 2013
smh...it is a pity...we are in the year 2013 and someone is still talking about osu!
Re: Can U Marry Osu by donkarly(m): 7:52am On Jun 20, 2013
alutacontinua: Somebody should please define the word for me.
I've forgotten! sad
OSU means outcast

1 Like

Re: Can U Marry Osu by Godson201333(m): 7:58am On Jun 20, 2013
Okay i think i know what ya talking about now..

Osu are people our igbo ancestors used to do sacrifies to the gods for the difficulties they faced then, which includes disease, lack of rain, poor farm produce, children and babies dieing etc.

The gods then asked for human sacrifies to help with these issues. When a sacrifice is offered to gods it is damned evil to touch those things. Even in the bible when Abraham offer sacrifice to God, nobody eats the sacrify, it is burn to ashes.

The stigma that Osu have had today this that they were used for gods sacrifice and dimmed to the igbos as outcast.

To my understanding, most of then are very wealthy and brilliant people, their girls are very beautiful.

I myself will NEVER marry osu, not because I don't like them. It is because of the stigma the igbos has on them. For example, they do not involve in active igbo events. No one will elect an osu person as a governor, local chairmen, Eze, Chief, etc.

If an Osu people tries to speak on behalf of the igbo he/she is immediately discredited, because of this stigma. I still have great ambitions for myself and would not want something to hold me back.

If you are not igbo you can never understand. This thing will NEVER go away and I feel very sorry for them. We call it Ome na ala (The law of our land) We cannot leave ome na ala and start to do ome na elu (Not the law of the land)

When you go to village and see how these people leaves, you would feel sorry from them. They do not trade because nobody would buy from them. In school nobody plays with osu children etc, it is really terrible.

If you want to leave in diaspora all your life, them marrying osu will not really affect you. But if you plan sometime in the future to return back to Nigeria, hmmm, you really have to be very careful. Remember we do not only mary for ourselfs we marry for children as well, you do not want to give our children a bad start in life.

I am sorry I have to say this, but this is the way it is and I did not make it so. Remember that osu are human being like us too.

1 Like

Re: Can U Marry Osu by 190: 8:07am On Jun 20, 2013
wth is an osu
Re: Can U Marry Osu by Nobody: 8:18am On Jun 20, 2013
Anyway, back to the OPs question. Yes, i can marry an osu. And if my brother or sister wanted to marry one, i will give my full blessing and embrace the human that my siblings have fallen in love with. Only ignorant fools consider fellow human beings as sub- human or different. How will the world ever change if we cannot do away with the ignorant/ inhumane/ unfair treatment of fellow human beings by our forefathers?

2 Likes

Re: Can U Marry Osu by Godson201333(m): 9:15am On Jun 20, 2013
Bludeville: Anyway, back to the OPs question. Yes, i can marry an osu. And if my brother or sister wanted to marry one, i will give my full blessing and embrace the human that my siblings have fallen in love with. Only ignorant fools consider fellow human beings as sub- human or different. How will the world ever change if we cannot do away with the ignorant/ inhumane/ unfair treatment of fellow human beings by our forefathers?

You must be an OSU

2 Likes

Re: Can U Marry Osu by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 20, 2013
U mean beverly Osu
Re: Can U Marry Osu by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 20, 2013
Godson201333:

You must be an OSU
If I am, so what? Jeez!

1 Like

Re: Can U Marry Osu by Monicasque(f): 9:54am On Jun 20, 2013
poster plz remind what osu means so that people can give their views
Re: Can U Marry Osu by Arosa(m): 10:17am On Jun 20, 2013
This is a primitive practice that should be outlawed.
Re: Can U Marry Osu by vivianc(f): 10:43am On Jun 20, 2013
I think some people should sharrap, people's culture are unique to them.

Osu is very real in igboland, in some parts they are avoided like a plague. They don't even share same market-square, or village meetings with the "di alas." The concept of osu is not serious in some parts but they are still recognised as osu. Where I come from, we don't avoid them, but there is always this "oh they are osu" whispering whenever the need arises.

This is the tradition of our forefathers, and it hasn't been abolished, yet. We must acknowledge that whenever we bring someone home for marriage, our parents carry out these investigations behind our back. Saying its primitive is being myopic, as no matter how educated we are, we have roots and most times we go way back to our roots. And sorry, most of our fathers have not embraced the western culture.

However, would I marry an osu? Yes! But that doesn't mean my parents will not kick against it. But where does my loyalty lie? With my parents or with the love of my life?

Poster, this is a decision you have to make. Trust me, no traditional igbo parents would give their blessing, but are u willing to fight this? Is your love greater than the fear of being rejected by ur kinsmen? Think this through ok? Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: Can U Marry Osu by overdrive(m): 10:50am On Jun 20, 2013
vivianc: I think some people should sharrap, people's culture are unique to them.

Osu is very real in igboland, in some parts they are avoided like a plague. They don't even share same market-square, or village meetings with the "di alas." The concept of osu is not serious in some parts but they are still recognised as osu. Where I come from, we don't avoid them, but there is always this "oh they are osu" whispering whenever the need arises.

This is the tradition of our forefathers, and it hasn't been abolished, yet. We must acknowledge that whenever we bring someone home for marriage, our parents carry out these investigations behind our back. Saying its primitive is being myopic, as no matter how educated we are, we have roots and most times we go way back to our roots. And sorry, most of our fathers have not embraced the western culture.

However, would I marry an osu? Yes! But that doesn't mean my parents will not kick against it. But where does my loyalty lie? With my parents or with the love of my life?

Poster, this is a decision you have to make. Trust me, no traditional igbo parents would give their blessing, but are u willing to fight this? Is your love greater than the fear of being rejected by ur kinsmen? Think this through ok? Goodluck!
Well said u spoke like a wise old woman and for that u just got urself a follower.
Re: Can U Marry Osu by uniqueren(f): 11:04am On Jun 20, 2013
Bludeville:
This is the ranting of a very ignorant fool.

those are not rantings neither can a fool write that
those are the salient P.O.V of some or do i said most people esp the elderly

as for me I frankly don't think i can marry an osu
but that doesn't mean i will dissuade someone else from marrying his/her partner on that context
Re: Can U Marry Osu by vivianc(f): 11:04am On Jun 20, 2013
overdrive:
Well said u spoke like a wise old woman and for that u just got urself a follower.

Thanks, and yes I'm old.
Re: Can U Marry Osu by vivianc(f): 11:08am On Jun 20, 2013
uniqueren:

those are not rantings neither can a fool write that
those are the salient P.O.V of some or do i said most people esp the elderly

as for me I frankly don't think i can marry an osu
but that doesn't mean i will dissuade someone else from marrying his/her partner on that context

grin You dey mind them? They think tradition is as easy as social networking.

Whenever you fall in love with an Osu, brace up yourself cos you are in for a hard fight.

1 Like

Re: Can U Marry Osu by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 20, 2013
The
vivianc: I think some people should sharrap, people's culture are unique to them.

In 1956, the
government of the then Eastern Nigeria passed a
law abolishing the Osu caste system. The law
freed and discharged anybody called Osu
including the children born to such a person. It
declared the practice unlawful – and a crime
punishable by law. But thanks to people with your mentality and the other guy over there, it has refused to stay abolished 57 years later. I bet if it was your type that was sold into slavery, you would still be over there wipinhg the white man's shit, and sucking his cock whilst thinking to yourself "This is the way it is and I did not make it so"

6 Likes

Re: Can U Marry Osu by Ispeakthetruth(m): 11:25am On Jun 20, 2013
Bludeville:
This is the ranting of a very ignorant fool.
Yes, I agree.
Re: Can U Marry Osu by Mynd44: 11:55am On Jun 20, 2013
Bludeville: The
In 1956, the
government of the then Eastern Nigeria passed a
law abolishing the Osu caste system. The law
freed and discharged anybody called Osu
including the children born to such a person. It
declared the practice unlawful – and a crime
punishable by law. But thanks to people with your mentality and the other guy over there, it has refused to stay abolished 57 years later. I bet if it was your type that was sold into slavery, you would still be over there wipinhg the white man's shit, and sucking his cock whilst thinking to yourself "This is the way it is and I did not make it so"
+50000000

I am standing up and clapping for you here.
People like them are one of the reasons Nigeria and Africa is backward. They want to think their fathers and ancestors are all wise and intelligent when the old guys too make mistakes.

They should also start killing twins too na and continue female genital mutilation cos it is some foolish culture and tradition.

What people like them (village mentality) don't get it that the Laws of the federal republic of Nigeria is higher than their senseless cultures. I say anyone who looks down at someone or calls anyone an Osu should be jailed.

It is the same people who will take offence when a white man discriminates and look down at them and they will do the same thing.

I hate hypocrisy

11 Likes

Re: Can U Marry Osu by NigerianGirly(f): 1:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
Osu is an out dated concept.... Only illiterates still take it seriously... we no longer kill twins, bury kings along with 7 heads, own slaves, polygamy is getting outdated, we no longer marry off 13 yr old girls to 70 yr old men, we no longer own slaves, we no longer walk around naked cos we dont know what clothes are... times are changing and many barbaric useless acts have been discarded Osu being one of them... if you won't marry her cos she's osu, then take off your clothes and find a potato sac and wear and go to the village and stay cos if you want to practice something outdated you might as well take it all the way... OSU? someone still gives a shit about that in this 21st century? Hian!

3 Likes

Re: Can U Marry Osu by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 20, 2013
WTF is osu
Re: Can U Marry Osu by emilyone(f): 1:49pm On Jun 20, 2013
can somebody please tell me how one can identify an osu person?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Fingering Is Better Than Giving Head...“head GIVERS Association".,pls Take Note. / Will You Marry Someone Outside Your Tribe Or Ethnic Group? / Where Is Her Parents? See The Kind Of Pictures This Young Pretty Girl Post On FB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.