Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,102 members, 7,835,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" - Properties (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (264325 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:07pm On Jul 24, 2013
The hawks are gathering, with shovels and wheel barrows, I think I need to join "crime fighters" to stop these peoplegrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:10pm On Jul 24, 2013
Chekitaut: Some will pretend there vehicle has fault because they know that u will want to leave them after you turn your back they start their evil act. stay with them till u get to site, if u try to let ur trusted person go with them they "may" buy him off.

This is not even my load, I just wanted to snoop around and learn about their antics.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:13pm On Jul 24, 2013
Its a thriving business out there,

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:16pm On Jul 24, 2013
They even have a "granite village" somewhere around cheesy

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:18pm On Jul 24, 2013
I came back to the site very late, the site had only a few changes.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
Electrical piping works ongoing, I will work with them tomorrow.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:23pm On Jul 24, 2013
Note that I am using only 16mm rods for all the decking beams in this house. Tomorrow we form the outer sit out, do more iron works, buy more materials and generally get ready to cast.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 11:27pm On Jul 24, 2013
Still loving the thread while learning . . .
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Emperoh(m): 11:36pm On Jul 24, 2013
Spyder,

Thanks for this eye opening session on granite!

Indeed there is no business without a fraudulent side!

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by OilSubsidy: 11:42pm On Jul 24, 2013
Na wa for nigeria businessmen o o. Thank you Prof for letting us into this sharp practices by the tipper drivers. I must surely watch out for this when the time comes.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 1:03am On Jul 25, 2013
Heh! Chekitaut.. Does this granite raking also happens in Lagos/Ogun area? Enquiry mind wants to know..
Thanks Spyder for the eye-opener to this practice.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 2:33am On Jul 25, 2013
Spyder, I am curious why did you go to Ebonyi State instead of Akamkpa and how much for 30 tons? When I needed granite in PH, I paid about N240,000 with transportation for 30 tons to a cousin of mine who owned a tipper. He swore up and down that as a born again Christian, he did not allow the scheme-off of the tippers.

After reading your report, I am not so sure again. However, it may be too late for me to cry over spilled milk. Then when the truck got to PH, we had to pay the area boys for ground tax of about 10k. Sometimes the trucks would damage buildings requiring repairs by me. Because I decked twice, I needed about six trips. We tried all types of tricks to head fake the arrea boys like having the granite delivered at 2 am to no avail. Once they hear the sound of the truck, they would all wake up. Those Obio/Akpor Ikwerre guys were inhumane.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kcoolk4: 3:05am On Jul 25, 2013
mufutau55: Heh! Chekitaut.. Does this granite raking also happens in Lagos/Ogun area? Enquiry mind wants to know..

Hajji Mufutau
Unfortunately it happens everywhere Alhaji. Trust is an uncommon word to find in Nigeria's business dictionary. Frankly speaking, these truck drivers and owners don't allow their trucks to carry 30 tons. As a matter of fact, I know two quarry owners in SW regions that will tell you they rarely load 30tons granite. The trucks will break down more than 200times before it gets to destination if they load 30tons!.So, if you pay for 30tons and think the load is heavy, you may be getting 25-27tons at the most since you'll almost certainly get 20-22tons if you order for 25tons anyway. Forget waybill, they have a way around it too. You can ask any honest supplier here. I stand to be corrected though.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kcoolk4: 3:22am On Jul 25, 2013
Chekitaut: all this truck can not carry more than 15-20ton, in granite truck don't matter the scale is where u should focus on.
I want to say trucks matter. I stand to be corrected though. From experience, I know all these trucks have load ratings when and where it was manufactured. It's called GVWR. There are some that have 60,000 pounds GVWR while some have 80,000lbs GVWR and so on. You also have to know the tare load and pay load which is the maximum load it can carry. These two weights are written most of the time on the truck or you can pull it up with VIN. These, to a large extent, affect the load the trucks can carry even if they look just alike and are of the same model. These GVWR differs significantly and are greatly enforced on U.S roads. You are not allowed to go over the limit. I'll say you are partly right because under normal circumstance, the scale is supposed to tell us everything I've mentioned earlier in the absence of that info I wrote, but you and I know what some dishonest people do around the scales in Nigeria quarries. May God help us in all ways in Nigeria. Almost everywhere you turn to,someone is ready to rip you off, and we turn around and blame Jona or Fash!.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kcoolk4: 3:25am On Jul 25, 2013
spyder880: Note that I am using only 16mm rods for all the decking beams in this house. Tomorrow we form the outer sit out, do more iron works, buy more materials and generally get ready to cast.
Lord Spyder,
I hail ooo....your boy dey follow you. Keep on keeping on. I'll soon bring you back to SW. This time,things will work out perfectly by His grace.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 3:51am On Jul 25, 2013
kcool_k4:
Unfortunately it happens everywhere Alhaji. Trust is an uncommon word to find in Nigeria's business dictionary.

My Brother... where will all this end up? As time goes on, will there still be Nigeria or Nigerian?
Prayer no dey help us o!

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by brabus(m): 5:10am On Jul 25, 2013
I knew it already. When I was in Port Harcourt, I used 3 loads of granite (which was supplied by the owners relative o) to do a small foundation but in my Ondo project which is twice bigger, I've not finished using 2 loads. I got 2 of the trucks you showed last as 30 tons when the real 30 tons truck can't move into my site.

If you check the thread, you can see how I was using granite to fill my driveway. Of all the trucks you posted, I've not seen anyone as big as the one that delivered 30 tons for me in Ondo. All of them are in 15 tons class.

God is watching us in 3D.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by brabus(m): 5:28am On Jul 25, 2013
I've only purchased 3 loads so far and I still have 1 full load left on ground. Meanwhile, I've done the following shocked shocked shocked

1. Blinding of the main building
2. Casting of the column base and starter columns (main building)
3. Casting of the ground floor slab (main building)
4. Casting of the lintels and columns (main building)
5. Blinding and Casting of the soak away floor and columns
6. Sand filling of the driveway
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 5:56am On Jul 25, 2013
brabus: I knew it already. When I was in Port Harcourt, I used 3 loads of granite (which was supplied by the owners relative o) to do a small foundation but in my Ondo project which is twice bigger, I've not finished using 2 loads. I got 2 of the trucks you showed last as 30 tons when the real 30 tons truck can't move into my site.

If you check the thread, you can see how I was using granite to fill my driveway. Of all the trucks you posted, I've not seen anyone as big as the one that delivered 30 tons for me in Ondo. All of them are in 15 tons class.

God is watching us in 3D.

My brother the thing is serious o, granite here is at cut throat prices. I am going to negotiate with yet another truck owner this morning to see if we can save an additional amount. God is watching us in 3D true true. Thank you bros.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Degis(m): 7:14am On Jul 25, 2013
I bought this same 20ton at Abuja for =N=60,000 only
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by jam04(m): 7:40am On Jul 25, 2013
@brabus and spyder: sharp practices abound when it comes to suppliers of granite and sharp sand. There is no way you can beat to it..NO WAY..because if they didn't cheat you by 'scrapping' off along the way, they will cheat you when loading. You can only pray that you find a trustworthy company that has bulk capacities. I always advise builders to patronise companies rather than road side suppliers.

@spyder from the truck pics you posted above, only ONE of them has the capacity to carry 30 tons and that's the white mack truck at the extreme end. The truck with the blue bucket can not even carry up to 25tons!!

Just as i once pointed out , some builders are gullible and not ready to pay for the right price. They only want to see that the granite is 'full' and trust suppliers,they get trucks with smaller buckets and heap it to deceive builders.
this has happened to us several times and i only laugh such builders off and ask them to patronise road side sellers for. such cheap price. How can you say you want 3/4 granite size for 1350 per ton !!!!!
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by jam04(m): 7:42am On Jul 25, 2013
spyder880: They even have a "granite village" somewhere around cheesy

This abounds along kobape/shagham-berger express road..hehehe
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by jam04(m): 7:49am On Jul 25, 2013
brabus: I've only purchased 3 loads so far and I still have 1 full load left on ground. Meanwhile, I've done the following shocked shocked shocked

1. Blinding of the main building
2. Casting of the column base and starter columns (main building)
3. Casting of the ground floor slab (main building)
4. Casting of the lintels and columns (main building)
5. Blinding and Casting of the soak away floor and columns
6. Sand filling of the driveway

Bros brabus granite stone is cheaper in ondo compared to abeokuta oo...heard they sell @1600 per ton
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by jam04(m): 7:55am On Jul 25, 2013
kcool_k4:
I want to say trucks matter. I stand to be corrected though. From experience, I know all these trucks have load ratings when and where it was manufactured. It's called GVWR. There are some that have 60,000 pounds GVWR while some have 80,000lbs GVWR and so on. You also have to know the tare load and pay load which is the maximum load it can carry. These two weights are written most of the time on the truck or you can pull it up with VIN. These, to a large extent, affect the load the trucks can carry even if they look just alike and are of the same model. These GVWR differs significantly and are greatly enforced on U.S roads. You are not allowed to go over the limit. I'll say you are partly right because under normal circumstance, the scale is supposed to tell us everything I've mentioned earlier in the absence of that info I wrote, but you and I know what some dishonest people do around the scales in Nigeria quarries. May God help us in all ways in Nigeria. Almost everywhere you turn to,someone is ready to rip you off, and we turn around and blame Jona or Fash!.

Good points you made here but allow me to chip in some infos for you: all these trucks are re modified when they arrive nigeria. I know this because I am a professional in the granite and haulage industry. Most this trucks with 60,000 GVWR will be made to carry lesser load when its get here because most buckets attached to them are not calibrated. Most of the buckets you see attached to this trucks are built by welders who know nothing about calibration. So I go with checkiaut that what matters is the scale you load at the quarry.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by elvis07: 8:25am On Jul 25, 2013
spyder88 pls have a look at this floor plan and tell me wat u think it will take me to finish such project, its gonna be for commercial purpose and am nt thinking of going too standard but it will for sure be a strong building and good looking also and d location is owerri on a solid soil, ur response will b so appreciated.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by USAutoBuy(m): 10:21am On Jul 25, 2013
Let me Chime in a little:

For the most part, Mack trucks from the states have a rating on the axle for 44k lbs. That is about 20 tons. Of course it can be overloaded. However, i don't see how you can overload it about 50% over capacity to come up to 30 tonnes. Impossible.

Unless the truck has 12 tires (tri-axle truck) even then, there is possibility that the bucket will not be enough to accommodate loose gravel of 30tonnes. It can take 30tonnes if its chunks of rocks but possibly not loose gravels.

If you have a suspicion that you might be cheated and you have several loads. Take a picture of the truck when loaded, let the driver know that you are rejecting the load if it heap decreases upon arrival at the site. The effort is worth losing about N20k on each load.

Also, use different companies for multiple loads and let them offload differently. Differences can show up like that too. A very high heap and a flat heap of gravel. Someone owes you an explanation.

Nigerians will sit up once they know you are watching. And buyers should not go for ridiculously low prices. You are setting yourself up for deception. Only quarries produce gravel. No one else. Prices are somewhat uniform.

Unfortunately, cheating customers is deep in the fabric of Nigerian businesses, so all you can do is try and mitigate your loss. Total eradication of your loss is nearly impossible. Everywhere you turn, someone is trying to take advantage of you.

Good luck with the building. Looking good and taking shape very well.

4 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Chekitaut: 10:38am On Jul 25, 2013
mufutau55: Heh! Chekitaut.. Does this granite raking also happens in Lagos/Ogun area? Enquiry mind wants to know..

Hajji Mufutau
the pattern is different in Lagos ogun, If u order 3 trips for example the will bring 2 and tip three, in my own case i move with them but not every1 know why i do so, 2day ago i slept in the truck trying to protect my goods because my truck has faulty...
Rule 1. Be on site anytime your goods arrive.
Rule 2. Ask for your weight bill print out.
Rule 3. Dont tip without your present
Rule 4. Get a trusty agent very important
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Chekitaut: 11:06am On Jul 25, 2013
jam04: @brabus and spyder: sharp practices abound when it comes to suppliers of granite and sharp sand. There is no way you can beat to it..NO WAY..because if they didn't cheat you by 'scrapping' off along the way, they will cheat you when loading. You can only pray that you find a trustworthy company that has bulk capacities. I always advise builders to patronise companies rather than road side suppliers.

@spyder from the truck pics you posted above, only ONE of them has the capacity to carry 30 tons and that's the white mack truck at the extreme end. The truck with the blue bucket can not even carry up to 25tons!!

Just as i once pointed out , some builders are gullible and not ready to pay for the right price. They only want to see that the granite is 'full' and trust suppliers,they get trucks with smaller buckets and heap it to deceive builders.
this has happened to us several times and i only laugh such builders off and ask them to patronise road side sellers for. such cheap price. How can you say you want 3/4 granite size for 1350 per ton !!!!!
I deliver granite in Ogombo imagine suppliers come to me asking me where did i get such amount of goods that he has never seen such, he promise never to patronize Ogbere for granite, when it comes to granite and sand, suppliers will rub you of the tonnage, patonise companies that has integrity to protect.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Marpol: 11:18am On Jul 25, 2013
Chekitaut: I deliver granite in Ogombo imagine suppliers come to me asking me where did i get such amount of goods that he has never seen such, he promise never to patronize Ogbere for granite, when it comes to granite and sand, suppliers will rub you of the tonnage, patonise companies that has integrity to protect.

Can you deliver to Sagamu?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Qc1(m): 11:23am On Jul 25, 2013
blank:

He has responded severally. They had to make changes to the design of the foundation and it has thus increased the budget. He has taken the criticism and is moving on. E don do abeg.

I meant no harm. I just want to know because I'm traveling to Naija this this fall to begin a project similar to this. I'm enjoying and learning from all Syder had to say. He is the more reason I really think I can build 4 bedroom duplex in Lagos.

Thanks.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Chekitaut: 11:25am On Jul 25, 2013
Marpol:

Can you deliver to Sagamu?
how many tons, where in shagamu?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Marpol: 11:43am On Jul 25, 2013
Chekitaut: how many tons, where in shagamu?

Off Aiyepe road. Near the local government secretariat. Can you supply there and can I have your contact? When I need it I will contact you.

The granite is likely to be 30-60 tons and I will also need iron rods

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (87) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.