Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,349 members, 7,860,911 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:39 PM

The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" - Properties (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (264688 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by tushbobo(m): 8:05pm On Jul 28, 2013
Just stumbled on this thread today and think its interesting...I designed a 5 bedroom duplex(to be built in PH) for a nairalander few months back and he mentioned he was using you(spyder) for construction.This doesnt look like the same project(at least from the pics) but that was about 380sq.meters.A quick parametric estimate gives about 9.5million for construction(prudent manual labour) so I think 8.8m will get the project to a good level especially as finishes are excluded.
It seems this project is being built on good soil right? Because I know foundation costs in some parts of PH can gulp millions of Naira.Well done on the job...schedule seems good.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 8:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
Somorin#1:
Looking forward to seeing what you and the Boys get up to this coming week.

Thank you for taking the time to share the pictures and taking my call this evening.

OK, you are the gentleman that just called me? You words made my weekend great. Thank you for your reassuring words.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 8:17pm On Jul 28, 2013
Behind bobo: Just stumbled on this thread today and think its interesting...I designed a 5 bedroom duplex(to be built in PH) for a nairalander few months back and he mentioned he was using you(spyder) for construction.This doesnt look like the same project(at least from the pics) but that was about 380sq.meters.A quick parametric estimate gives about 9.5million for construction(prudent manual labour) so I think 8.8m will get the project to a good level especially as finishes are excluded.
It seems this project is being built on good soil right? Because I know foundation costs in some part of PH can gulp millions of Naira.Well done on the job...schedule seems good.

The ground is not so good as such. We sweated like christmas goat before we got out of the foundation stages.grin
The foundation also gulped millions and the budget took a massive hit because of this but we are moving on, taking all necessary steps to make the building the best it could be. Thanks for showing up.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 28, 2013
spyder880:

OK, you are the gentleman that just called me? You words made my weekend great. Thank you for your reassuring words.

Yes it was me.

When you have time much later we need to discuss your thoughts on alternative building materials.

I don't understand why at least interior walls are not built with wood and drywall.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 8:31pm On Jul 28, 2013
Somorin#1:

Yes it was me.

When you have time much later we need to discuss your thoughts on alternative building materials.

I don't understand why at least interior walls are not built with wood and drywall.

Alternative building technology is a big topic in Nigeria. Our people seems to be too security conscious to allow some of those partitioning walls, even internally. There is also the concern about sound of activities in one room filtering into the next room.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 28, 2013
spyder880:

Alternative building technology is a big topic in Nigeria. Our people seems to be too security conscious to allow some of those partitioning walls, even internally. There is also the concern about sound of activities in one room filtering into the next room.
there's this wall filler that's like foam when it hardens. You pour in the liquid and it rises to fill the wall and totally insulate sound and heat. I doubt that technology has reached nigeria though.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
Pictures from today's activities.....

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:12pm On Jul 28, 2013
We set up the 'manual escalator' cheesy

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:13pm On Jul 28, 2013
Looking like the ladder that leads to heaven?

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:17pm On Jul 28, 2013
Its a Sunday, and the small restaurants don't open, the hawkers cant bring wares to the site so the boys cooked rice on site, don't mind the stove made of blocks, or the special chairs and tables.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:18pm On Jul 28, 2013
Dont worry about them, night is falling but they are eating in their "open Sheraton" grin cheesy grin

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by tushbobo(m): 9:50pm On Jul 28, 2013
Even if dry wall partitions are not used,we can make use of 100mm blockwork for internal partitions.Major construction companies use this and it works well for cost,schedule and reducing building dead load. There will be no sound issues as blockwall is solid construction.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:19pm On Jul 28, 2013
Behind bobo: Even if dry wall partitions are not used,we can make use of 100mm blockwork for internal partitions.Major construction companies use this and it works well for cost,schedule and reducing building dead load. There will be no sound issues as blockwall is solid construction.

I will suggest the use of 150mm hollow blocks for the whole internal partitioning for this house to my client here. (We have 100mm blocks here but they are not hollow) I know he will read this here and we can talk about it later. Not because of cost reduction but for simplicity and reduction of load.

I think I need to open another thread for alternative building technology in Nigeria and see the ideas, the alternatives and its possible workability in this country. I am always open to new ideas.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 28, 2013
spyder880:

I will suggest the use of 150mm hollow blocks for the whole internal partitioning for this house to my client here. (We have 100mm blocks here but they are not hollow) I know he will read this here and we can talk about it later. Not because of cost reduction but for simplicity and reduction of load.

I think I need to open another thread for alternative building technology in Nigeria and see the ideas, the alternatives and its possible workability in this country. I am always open to new ideas.

Please do so we don't interrupt this beautiful thread too much.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:53pm On Jul 28, 2013
Somorin#1:

Please do so we don't interrupt this beautiful thread too much.

https://www.nairaland.com/1376075/alternative-building-technology-application-nigerian#17086542

Lets go there......
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 11:32pm On Jul 28, 2013
Learning and having fun while doing such
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by chinosxl(m): 1:36am On Jul 29, 2013
Behind bobo: Just stumbled on this thread today and think its interesting...I designed a 5 bedroom duplex(to be built in PH) for a nairalander few months back and he mentioned he was using you(spyder) for construction.This doesnt look like the same project(at least from the pics) but that was about 380sq.meters.A quick parametric estimate gives about 9.5million for construction(prudent manual labour) so I think 8.8m will get the project to a good level especially as finishes are excluded.
It seems this project is being built on good soil right? Because I know foundation costs in some parts of PH can gulp millions of Naira.Well done on the job...schedule seems good.

Yea man, you designed my plan for the PH 5 bedroom duplex. The project on this thread is not mine though. I hope for Spyder to take on mine NEXT. State Govt Plan approval is being processed. Will keep you updated.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by VIPICO(m): 1:07pm On Jul 29, 2013
^^^^ Didn't I tell you, Spyd?
You better think of relocating to PH o, cos I foresee a time you will be shuttling between 5 to 6 sites to monitor projects.
Gird yourself, man.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 1:13pm On Jul 29, 2013
Morning and here again
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by olubuffett: 1:42pm On Jul 29, 2013
Resuming for class
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 2:12pm On Jul 29, 2013
VIPICO: ^^^^ Didn't I tell you, Spyd?
You better think of relocating to PH o, cos I foresee a time you will be shuttling between 5 to 6 sites to monitor projects.
Gird yourself, man.

I like PH, have been enjoying working here in the past 28 days but...... Enugu is calling again, so many things to complete down there. I just want to complete this house first.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by VIPICO(m): 8:35pm On Jul 29, 2013
You simply typify the reason why no one should ever complain of lack of job or unemployment, no matter how politicians mess things up.
When you painstakingly pick something you are passionate about and do that thing with with integrity, goodwill and dedication, no force in this world can stop you from being sought after.

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:18pm On Jul 29, 2013
VIPICO: You simply typify the reason why no one should ever complain of lack of job or unemployment, no matter how politicians mess things up.
When you painstakingly pick something you are passionate about and do that thing with with integrity, goodwill and dedication, no force in this world can stop you from being sought after.

Thank you my man.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by olubuffett: 9:24pm On Jul 29, 2013
any update?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:24pm On Jul 29, 2013
We are almost set to cast this deck.....

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:26pm On Jul 29, 2013
olubuffett: any update?

Yes Sir, the staircase

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:28pm On Jul 29, 2013
I got the last batch of cement offloaded this evening.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:29pm On Jul 29, 2013
The work field.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:33pm On Jul 29, 2013
We are already moving ahead to select the roofing sheet color. This is the high quality Gerard roofing product (Wichtech brand) roofing shingles. This is a sample of how the roof will look like.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 12:04am On Jul 30, 2013
Looking so good . . .
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 2:44am On Jul 30, 2013
spyder880:

Yes Sir, the staircase
Chairman Spyder, I thought there's suppose to be opening in that staircase rods/wall for the casting to connect or strongly hold the satires to the wall. I no even know how to ask the question sef lol
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 3:53am On Jul 30, 2013
prince_onx:
Chairman Spyder, I thought there's suppose to be opening in that staircase rods/wall for the casting to connect or strongly hold the satires to the wall. I no even know how to ask the question sef lol

Yes we did that, only that its not visible from the point I took the picture. We call it 'wounding the wall'. It is done to allow concrete and rods to flow into the nearest walls and hang the stairs firm. I will take a better picture of it later.

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (87) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.