Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,939 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports (7743 Views)

How Goodluck Jonathan Transformed Nigeria's Airports - Pics / 10 Largest Airports In The World As Seen From Above / World Most Dangerous Airports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by subice(m): 2:40pm On May 19, 2008
Sad but true. And our current leaders couldn't care less about doing something to sort it out.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by sheniqua: 3:25pm On May 19, 2008
na today?
carry even small bottle of palm oil come near the airport,they'll tell you you can't fly with palm oil yet for a "fee" the palm oil is good to fly.
Thank God so far I've never had to give any bribes, I've been able to beg my way through or God just blinded them from seeing my foodstuff.
My last trip,the customs woman after ransacking my bag and missing my Ijebu garri,egusi and palm oil in her hurry just said auntie,find me something now.
This is a woman perhaps 10-15 years older than me calling me auntie.
I genuinely felt pity for her and promised to give her something after check in and I did.

The call center phone guy even claimed he had no change after I placed a call to my folks at the airport and after he heard me speak Igbo,come and see begging.
I left him the change and also gave him some more,I felt bad and moreover,I didn't need the naira,I was already coming back to the USA.

I would feel better if they asked me for money than demand it as a birthright.
we give tips here in America for services I have no problems giving to service workers but at my own discretion.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by oYaTo(m): 3:43pm On May 19, 2008
denony:

They are really in business there, (You must drop something from their superious to the lower) It's so ridiculous.
(Something must be done in order to stop this mess, though i it's an experience on how to handle them next time.

omo denony i feel ur story o! those guys are f^ckin mad! Abeg can u give a few pointers on how to handle them, cos i'm travellin soon and i'm not prepared to shell out a dime for any damn person!

this leaves a sour taste in my mouth!
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by igbonla(m): 3:55pm On May 19, 2008
subice:

Sad but true. And our current leaders couldn't care less about doing something to sort it out.

This is a battle for you and I, not the leaders. There has to be a giver for the corruption link to be complete. We can help by not giving; tough but achievable.

denony:

After they confirmed, I prepare again getting there, to get a burding pass, they started checking one thing or the other but couldn't find what they will make money with, noiw they started with my hotel reservation, which was suppose to expire the next day because of the delay, to my surprise they refused me a burding pass, that i should pay N10k before they will give me burding pass, I just did that to be on a safe side.

My fellow nairalanders could you imaging that the more you meet each group the more you pay, the one that stamped my passport ask for money i tolf her i have no naira again but dollar she saud am not serious, she started demanding for the dollar, it required prayer before my passport was stamped, getting to the next group he started asking me the amount of dollars an travelling with i was marveled, time is only remaining ten minutes to departure, this man held me for 7 of the ten minutes and i have to drop 2k, then face the last two groups with 1k each, my brother its like hell.

They are really in business there, (You must drop something from their superious to the lower) It's so ridiculous.
(Something must be done in order to stop this mess, though i it's an experience on how to handle them next time.

All of them are hungry men and women, they don't care if you miss the flight, all they care if the money they are demanding for. - hiiiiiiiiseeeeeeeeeee

You paid because you really wanted to make that trip. What if you forfeited the trip simply because you wont pay bribe? How much sacrifice are you willing to make for the battle against corruption? We can keep shouting and screaming but those guys will keep demanding and collecting the bribes until we start refusing to give.

oYaTo:

omo denony i feel your story o! those guys are f^ckin mad! Abeg can u give a few pointers on how to handle them, because i'm travellin soon and i'm not prepared to shell out a dime for any damn person!

this leaves a sour taste in my mouth!

Simply (politely) refuse to give; let them know you don't give and watch your luggage properly. You do have a choice between dining with the devil (short or long spoon) and starving to death. What choice would you make?

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by goodking1: 4:11pm On May 19, 2008
oyato thank you,

do you know that bad people are really few in the conutry? and you also know that we are the ones who give them the power? yes, they pretend to be good, they are verymuch ready to have the whole world for their generation, killing and collecting the public money for their generation unborn, so they want to do anythings to keep the power. they love having meetings at night, let us speakout and tell the world who they are, bad men in white colth.

oyato do you know that we can stop the few bad people?

Regards,

Good king
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by ayomifull(f): 7:39pm On May 19, 2008
I have worked with the NPA and when i read about getting rid of corruption in Nigeria i wonder if this can ever be a reality. Corruption has eaten deep into the country that it exist everywhere and believe it or not there are things you can't possibly get through without bribe in Nigeria. This is not being negative its the fact. Fighting and claiming right at times is a waste of time and will in no way put an end to this bribing menace.

Few weeks ago i was in front of legislative quaters in Abuja and wanted to drive in but the car was not allowed in because according to the police at the door the car is not an official car, i called the senator to see how we could get in and he asked us to 'dash' him something and he will let us in and with just N50 the unofficial car was let in.

A friend who works with one of the governors told me her colleaque had to report her boss to the gov for harrasing him sexually which she can not agree to because she is married and to her uttermost shock the govt told her point blank that that is the order of the day and that everyone including himself is quilty of it. So where will she turn to now and who will she report to? So what are we talking about? only God can heal Nigeria of curruption and bribe infact, i doubt if He can. (God forgive me i definitely know there is nothing you can not do)
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by igbonla(m): 9:01pm On May 19, 2008
ayomifull:

I have worked with the NPA and when i read about getting rid of corruption in Nigeria i wonder if this can ever be a reality. Corruption has eaten deep into the country that it exist everywhere and believe it or not there are things you can't possibly get through without bribe in Nigeria. This is not being negative its the fact. Fighting and claiming right at times is a waste of time and will in no way put an end to this bribing menace.

Few weeks ago i was in front of legislative quaters in Abuja and wanted to drive in but the car was not allowed in because according to the police at the door the car is not an official car, i called the senator to see how we could get in and he asked us to 'dash' him something and he will let us in and with just N50 the unofficial car was let in.

A friend who works with one of the governors told me her colleaque had to report her boss to the gov for harrasing him sexually which she can not agree to because she is married and to her uttermost shock the govt told her point blank that that is the order of the day and that everyone including himself is quilty of it. So where will she turn to now and who will she report to? So what are we talking about? only God can heal Nigeria of curruption and bribe infact, i doubt if He can. (God forgive me i definitely know there is nothing you can not do)

Have you given up? Will corruption stop if you continue to give N50? Do you want to join them if you can't beat them? Is your friend's colleague sleeping with her boss now since the gov said it's the order of the day? Is that her choice between resigning and sleeping to keep her job?

It is the choice we all make that will determine if the corruption will slow down or keep ravaging us. Will you join us by not offering bribe? Are you ready to suffer some discomfort to help fight this battle?

Unfortunately, this is not the fight for God; He has given us the grace. Let's go use it.

We can reduce corruption if we make the right choices.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by FemiATL: 9:49pm On May 19, 2008
A custom or Immigration guy had summoned the courage to ask me for forex-------just one time on my way out of Lagos and I tell you if the guy sees me again, he will not even try to look at me in the face.
He held on my GC and Passport and told me "give me something now". I told him i did not have anything casually and he said (Pointing to my bulging pocket-----almost touching it) "wetin dey there?".

Oh my God, I went ballistic--------shouting like a really crazy guy. NA YOU PUT AM THERE, NA YOU WORK FOR THE MONEY-----I said a lot of stuff that i cannot remember. The guy just gave me my docs really fast saying "Oga I beg dey go joo". Some of his colleagues just looked away like nothing happened.

I think the way you dress or the way you answer them will determine if they can approach you for bribe or not. Also if they think you are a younger person-----i.e than the person screening you, they will want to intimidate you.

There was once a custom guy asked me where I was living in the US and I answered him with so much disdain "If I tell you, will you know it?" He said Oga answer my question or I will delay you--------I laughed and I told him 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC. He said oh, I have a friend that lives in Washington DC. The people who new what I was saying just started laughing.

My advice to all travellers, is that always be composed------answer questions with short and precise answers and do not engage in small talk with this people-------thats just me.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by RampantT(f): 10:44pm On May 19, 2008
@post
na today? undecided
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by angel101(f): 12:01am On May 20, 2008
FemiATL:

A custom or Immigration guy had summoned the courage to ask me for forex-------just one time on my way out of Lagos and I tell you if the guy sees me again, he will not even try to look at me in the face.
He held on my GC and Passport and told me "give me something now". I told him i did not have anything casually and he said (Pointing to my bulging pocket-----almost touching it) "wetin dey there?".

Oh my God, I went ballistic--------shouting like a really crazy guy. NA YOU PUT AM THERE, NA YOU WORK FOR THE MONEY-----I said a lot of stuff that i cannot remember. The guy just gave me my docs really fast saying "Oga I beg dey go joo". Some of his colleagues just looked away like nothing happened.

I think the way you dress or the way you answer them will determine if they can approach you for bribe or not. Also if they think you are a younger person-----i.e than the person screening you, they will want to intimidate you.

There was once a custom guy asked me where I was living in the US and I answered him with so much disdain "If I tell you, will you know it?" He said Oga answer my question or I will delay you--------I laughed and I told him 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC. He said oh, I have a friend that lives in Washington DC. The people who new what I was saying just started laughing.

My advice to all travellers, is that always be composed------answer questions with short and precise answers and do not engage in small talk with this people-------thats just me.

spot on! i adopt a similar attitude when travelling and i have never had a problem. the onus is on us individuals to stamp out this corruption that has just about taken over.
even at the local airport, i DO NOT for any reason patronise touts. i only allow them carry my bags for a fee if i have heavy/plenty luggage.

igbonla:

Have you given up? Will corruption stop if you continue to give N50? Do you want to join them if you can't beat them? Is your friend's colleague sleeping with her boss now since the gov said it's the order of the day? Is that her choice between resigning and sleeping to keep her job?

It is the choice we all make that will determine if the corruption will slow down or keep ravaging us. Will you join us by not offering bribe? Are you ready to suffer some discomfort to help fight this battle?

Unfortunately, this is not the fight for God; He has given us the grace. Let's go use it.

We can reduce corruption if we make the right choices.

God bless Nigeria.

my sentiments exactly! i would rather have parked outside or elsewhere than offer the 'dash'
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by seyibrown(f): 8:17am On May 20, 2008
I agree with FemiATL.

Composure matters a lot. You need to know when to smile, laugh and when not to. Short precise answers to their questions helps them realise you don't have time for nonsense.

The last time I travelled Lagos- Heathrow, after my hand luggage was checked, this immigration officer excused my aside, asked to see my passport, asked me my name, what job I did, where I lived. I just told him with a straight face, no smiling, no fidgeting, no patronising comments etc. He then said something about if he would find anything undeclared on me if he took me to a room to search. I just said, he wouldnt find anything. After perusing the passport to his satisfaction, he handed it back to me.

I said a thank you and left him standing there.

Then it was the turn of Virgin Atlantic attendants to ask me to 'drop something, auntie'.  I did feel very embarrased FOR THEM but all I did was just smile at them. I wasn't going to encourage them by giving them 'something'.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by oYaTo(m): 9:31am On May 20, 2008
good king:

oyato thank you,

do you know that bad people are really few in the conutry? and you also know that we are the ones who give them the power? yes, they pretend to be good, they are verymuch ready to have the whole world for their generation, killing and collecting the public money for their generation unborn, so they want to do anythings to keep the power. they love having meetings at night, let us speakout and tell the world who they are, bad men in white colth.

oyato do you know that we can stop the few bad people?

Regards,

Good king

guy u dey scare me o wink
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by vikiviko(m): 10:25am On May 20, 2008
The immigration guys at the airport are crooks .

They sometimes look at the face b4 asking for settlement.

If you are travelling for the 1st time its a tug of war, because they know you are naive and excited they will capitalise on it, to intimidate and threaten you.

My last experience with 1 was a drama, he asked for dollars from me, i told him i can't give him.He delayed me and we exchanged blows, i was subsequently arrested,I indentified myself and i reported him to his superior, i later heard he was transfered from the airport.

You have to know your ground and be bold when they ask you stupid questions.

They are crooks at the Lagos international airport , i don't know of Abuja.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by sweetchick(f): 1:55pm On May 20, 2008
I travel quite frequebtly and I have never had any of these unpleasant experiences escept for one time, one guy searching my luggage asked me to 'find something for him' and i asked him point blank 'why?'. He did not dare repeat the question
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by ty4real(m): 2:38pm On May 20, 2008
Right from Checking your luggage to the point of boarding,someone will say give something now,do weekend for us but fo real,I only gave because I didnt want to be delayed,and I didnt want to carry naira into the country.I wonder what the Bleep they are shouting about in servicom!Crazy bunch of indolent personnel who I cant really blame but its just the wack up system in 9ja courtsy of our Owanbe leaders who are so selfish and self conceited. angry angry!
When I go back to Nigeria next year, I will be prepared for them grin grin grin
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by eterpete: 6:03pm On May 20, 2008
I do not think we should over flog the fact that Nigeria's issue is mind bogling .Well, but you can also flex your biceps any time anyone want to take you for a ride (GboGBo wa ni naija) we are all Nigerians. No one should Cheat another Naija (Law 11)
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by dee02(m): 6:43pm On May 20, 2008
Is it actually RIP-OFF

More like a SLAP-OFF and FU/CK-OFF unless u can stand ur ground!!
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by lobinoxebe(m): 8:44am On May 21, 2008
There are most cases in Life where all rules will be bent, I hate bribe, but i only bribe when i have an appointment of 5million naira and i have to make my way through with just 50k,

so guys wise up, we re in Nija, give what is for Siza to Siza, dont be the too know law type,
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by londoner: 9:51am On May 21, 2008
Almond Joy/Tchinasa/xiomarra, good to see you are at least consistent. Hope your having a good day so far.
wink
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Spermdrops(m): 10:13am On May 21, 2008
londoner:

Almond Joy/Tchinasa/xiomarra, good to see you are at least consistent. Hope your having a good day so far.
wink

Ouch! embarassed
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by presido1: 1:13pm On May 21, 2008
londoner:

wink
Is this true grin grin grin grin since one gay told her asylum story i have been wondering were she's been.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by sheniqua: 5:55pm On May 21, 2008
Spermdrops:

Ouch! embarassed

almondjoy wink
you this girl
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by manmustwac(m): 12:19am On May 22, 2008
rip offs at nigerian airports is just a reflection on nigerian society if u enter transport and your travelling from lagos to benin your vehicle driver would pay no less than 20 small bribes on the way to benin, if your in university and you don't read your books u can bribe your lecturers to pass you, if anything is to change in nigeria it has to start from the very top and then gradually it will trickle down to the bottom
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by babycool(f): 2:10pm On May 22, 2008
[Quote]A custom or Immigration guy had summoned the courage to ask me for forex-------just one time on my way out of Lagos and I tell you if the guy sees me again, he will not even try to look at me in the face.

[/quote]

Now this is what i am talking about!!

FemiATL ABEG TELL THEM!

@ good King

Thanks kiss kiss
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by denony(m): 2:39pm On May 22, 2008
OYATO

The experience i acquired is this:

If they hold you to drop, and trying to delay you start arguing with them in a very serious way, tell them its never part of their business.

Could you imagine, one was giving them 1k they refused but when the started shouting on each and everyone of them other officers entered the office to calm the guy down, and they started begging the guy again, give him back his money and document, (with abeg)
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by tRoOE(f): 5:14pm On May 22, 2008
LOL Rip Off is an understatment

When i was visiting Naija last xmas i didn't have mine naija passport, so to cut the story short sha, the officers were like i have to give them pounds, i was like wtf, anyway i gave them 40 dollars and those stinky fools had the audacity to tell me that the money wasn't enough for all 7 of them, like i give a shit.
Before I left the airport that money, have spent roughly $100 something, they tried searching my luggage’s, but hell no i wasn't going to allow them to put their filthy hands through my clothes or personal things, so i had to pay before i was permitted to go out the airport

On my return back to state, i showed them by passport oh they were telling me i look different, kai i was like which kind wahala be this, then he asked me for my state id but i showed him my school addy, then he was like where is your Social Security card, I was like when do they start printing pictures oh it, he didn’t answer, I started cussing him at him sha, I wasn’t scared what was going to happen because I know he would have lost his job that day, at the end of the day he apologize sha, I don’t him to pocket it.

He probably  thought i was mumu , thinking he can rip me off, thinking am i be jjc, Naija people are fraud jare angry angry angry

Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by blacksta(m): 8:54pm On May 22, 2008
It is so sad for Nigeria 0 - Corruption don eat into the core of our soul - Only the blood of Jesus can cleanse this disease.

If you want to enter the airport - You settle ( parted with 200 Naira

you dey weigh bag - You settle

Airline offical - wetin you eat remain for us - you settle ( parted with 500 Naira)

Custom man check your bag and they find food - you settle In my case had to part with 1500 ( custom man requested 4k)

Airline official say your bag to heavy - you settle ( parted with 200 Naira)

Total before departure -- 2400 Naira - Na wa o

at that point i was fed up

Ndlea staff - started asking me series of question - I just told him i lost my father thats why i am in Naija - the man left me alone immediately

Next time i am in Naija - I will stick to ( I have just lost my dad line) believe me it works. You know say naija people dey fear death or get this thing about dead man.

But i hope one day this will change.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Dantecmu(m): 6:08am On May 23, 2008
@House
I don't see any reason why you should bribe whosoever when your on the right hand side of the law. i mean if you bribe them because your carrying Oil the question is are you supposed to carry oil, if you bribe them cause your have an excess luggage well you are supposed to pay for excesses in it. I have never and would never PART with a dime for nobody that i can assure the HOUSE.

Ciao.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Xiomarra: 7:30am On May 23, 2008
presido1:

Is this true grin grin grin grin since one gay told her asylum story i have been wondering were she's been.

You must be the gay who told the story. tongue  Yeah!  How can we forget.  What a story that was.  It hit the Wall Street Journal and Time Magazine at #1 for 24 consecutive months. cool  Look here, if no be say them ban me, none of una qualify to shut me up even in ma grave.

As you can see, I am not hiding under any rock. 

[size=15pt]I DEY KAMKPEEEEEEEEEEE!!! [/size]

Try another trick please. As you can see the so called "Oyatoto" and the transgendered gang have run out of steam. Or is it "Teghese Murphy" or whatever the idiot calls itself? cheesy

sheniqua:

almondjoy wink
you this girl

he he he he he he he he he he. cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

I say nothing dey loss.  Not even one single curly pubic hair for my garawa! cheesy  Everthing still dey complete! cool
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Xiomarra: 7:33am On May 23, 2008
Abeg this na dead topic.  Nigerians will always continue to rip people off because that is the only thing they know how to do.  Sadly enough, not intelligent to even successfully pull off the daftest of all heists.

What a bunch of dummies, in a nation of daffy ducks! cheesy
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by Outstrip(f): 5:04pm On May 23, 2008
I would simply have missed that flight period. I will not give 10kobo to anybody especially when they are trying to bully it out of me. They never jam. I don't want to sound harsh but I think they saw it in you that you could easily be intimidated. I just got back from nigeria last month and between me and my sisters and our 4 babies we had over 14 pieces of luggage and not counting our hand luggage. So you know that they noticed us coming from a mile awya. They stopped us and you could tell that they were trying to intimidate us but we all looked like "if you want my trouble, I will give you trouble". The Oga that came down to ask about the luggae simply just played with the babies was quiet for a few seconds, no response from us and then he was like "clear the road".
What I learned is that they will take advantage of you in Nigeria if you show any weakness. Sad but true.
Re: Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports by kokorunna(m): 8:48am On May 24, 2008
My brother i feel sorry for you, those airport staff are thieves and hungry people.

Do not be surprise they can do anything, i have had several bad experiagence with the lagos airport

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Uk Student Visa Denied Please Help Me Reapply! Urgent! / China Southern Airline , Your Cheapest Tickets To China And Dubai! / Between Denmark,poland,ireland And Sweden...where???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.