Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,566 members, 7,812,830 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here (31434 Views)

ASUU Strike Update: Jonathan Approves N400bn Lifeline –SSANU / ASUU Strike Update: Crucial Meeting Said To Be Holding Today / ASUU Strike Update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by OPEYEMIAD(m): 3:47pm On Jun 27, 2013
Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) in their 74th National Executive Council Meeting has declared the continuation of the almost two-month industrial action insisting that the federal government must implement the agreement reached with them in 2010.

The National President of ASUP, Mr. Chibuzo Asomugha, made this disclosure at the Federal Polytechnic, Oko, Anambra state, venue for the executive council meeting.

The academic body has been agitating for the non-constitution of Governing Councils of Polytechnics, Monotechnics and Colleges of Technology.

They are also agitating for the non-release of white paper of the Visitation Panels to the Federal Polytechnics, non-commencements of the NEED Assessment of the Nigerian Polytechnics and the non-creation of a National Polytechnics Commission.

They paid a courtesy call to the Rector of the Polytechnic, Professor Godwin Onu, where the National President observed that “the period was indeed a trying time for ASUP” but maintained that “the union would no longer fold its arms and watch the polytechnic education drown”.

Prof. Onu sympathized with the union but pleaded with them to relax on their position.

Recall that government’s inaction in solving the union’s problem in spite of persistent complaint had resulted in a seven days initial warning strike that commenced on April 22nd. It was followed by the present indefinite industrial action.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/06/26/asup-begins-strike-over-fgs-failure-to-constitute-polytechnic-commission/
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 27, 2013
This is not good
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by OPEYEMIAD(m): 5:15pm On Jun 27, 2013
The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) has been on indefinite strike for over two months because of government’s failure to implement agreements on issues affecting polytechnic education. In this interview Comrade Nda-Umar Usman, the Chapter Chairman, ASUP, Federal Polytechnic, Bida, explains why the union is not shifting grounds. Excerpts:
It’s been over two months since the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics embarked on an indefinite strike to press home some demands, can you run through these demands?
They are actually long time demands, some of which include, the none constitution of governing councils, which has been done partially with about six institutions still outstanding; review of the Polytechnic Act which we consider obsolete and not in line with current realities and has been holding down the polytechnics; the Higher National Diploma (HND) and degree dichotomy; and non-release of the revised scheme of service because the existing one is out dated, archaic and has outlived its usefulness. There is also the continuous recognition of the National Board for Technical Education as the regulatory body for the polytechnics as against the establishment of National Polytechnics Commission. Other tertiary institutions have a commission why not the polytechnics?
There are also the non-release of the white paper on the visitation panel report and the need for needs assessment for the polytechnics; implementation of CONTISS 15 as it affects the lower cadre; insistence of the Accountant General of the Federation to implement IPPIS (Integrated Personnel Payroll Information System) against the wishes of the sector; non-constitution of committee for the renegotiation of FGN/ASUP agreement due since 2012; non-implementation of CONPCASS; and 65-year retirement age by state-owned polytechnics and monotechnics, amongst others.
What is the response of government to these requests?
The Federal Ministry of Education has not shown enough commitment to our demands. Every day is about asking for time to get things done and claiming that most of the demands are not to be resolved directly by the ministry. In fact the ministry is insensitive to polytechnic education.
What support have you gotten from the National Assembly in this struggle?
Well, the National Assembly has not done much either. The bill on the Polytechnic Act has been with them for a very long time and much progress has not been recorded. Only the House of Representatives has looked into the bill. It went through first and second reading, it has also gone for public hearing where the National Executive Council of ASUP made their input and we believe they would be captured.
But the Senate has not done anything about it. Even with the current strike not much has been done by the National Assembly because they do not attach any importance to polytechnic education. The effort by the House of Representative is even through a private bill which substantially captures most of the demands I stated earlier but unfortunately, the Federal Ministry of Education which is supposed to propel the bill is lackadaisical about it.
But of course, for the bill to become a law, the two houses have to pass it but the senate does not seem interested in the problem of the polytechnic.
Recently, the education ministry presented its medium term score card. How would you assess the performance of government with regards to education?
As far as I am concerned, not much has been achieved. You can see that the polytechnics are on strike, NUT are also on strike or threatening strike as well as ASUU. Achievement in the education sector is still far below average. What is the allocation to education in the budget for the last two years they have been in office? Mid-term report is about pictures and charts. They should please wake up to the current realities.
Most of the structural development you see in the polytechnics are financed by the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TetFund) and that is not a creation of this administration. This Tetfund which is supposed to be intervention fund, by the way, is far greater than the actual capital budget of these polytechnics and even at that you cannot access 100% of what was budgeted. At the Federal Polytechnic, Bida, where I belong, there was a year we accessed only 42% of about N100 million that was budgeted by the government.
What are you supposed to do?
I would have thought that since we have a huge student population seeking admission into the university, about 1.6 million of them sat for the last UTME, a sensible government would have simply converted our polytechnics into universities with the same infrastructure and a little enhancement here and there instead of establishing more universities with the attendant burden of funding and development which will take a long time to bring these new universities at par with global standard.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/~trust/index.php/education/57823-fg-undisturbed-by-asup-strike
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 27, 2013
I dey go learn tailoring or art work
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by OPEYEMIAD(m): 6:30pm On Jun 27, 2013
OF THE GREATEST NIGERIA POLYTECHNIC STUDENTS!!!, following the publication of ASUP NEC meeting Resolution as reported by Channels Television that STRIKE CONTINUES,with the quest of the Leadership of NAPS to secure the Security clearance for the already schedule mass protest of Monday 1st july 2013 in Abuja,the Secretariat has receive an appeal from appropriate quarters for a grace and extension of our earlier pronounce ultimatum for another 7days.as such our mass peaceful protest in FCT will be holding on Monday 8th july 2013 after which the special grace and the ultimatum must have elaps if no meaninful resolution for us to resume. The leadership of NAPS thereby appeal to all SUG president nationwide to contact the following contact No 08065350837,07052175621, 08032812062 for necessary arrangement against the MASS PEACEFUL PROTEST IN ABUJA Coming Monday 8th July 2013. Thanks for your spirit of patriotism yours in strugle .aluta continua victoria ascerta, amala awetu nothing shall discourage us . No retreat no surrender.
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Hyperchi(m): 6:32pm On Jun 27, 2013
Y dis act 4 d fedral gov,dis is not d best result we want now ,only d equality in d educationa aspect of nigeria.
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by OPEYEMIAD(m): 6:51pm On Jun 27, 2013
THERE IS HOPE THAT ASUP STRIKE CAN STILL END THIS WEEK. . .

Despite the comment by the ASUP Chairman mr Chibuzor, that the strike continues. That statement is inconsequential and non determinant of the continuation of the strike. The 74th NEC meeting shall end on friday 28th,in which all the NEC executives shall vote,which shall determine whether the strike shall continue or not. So my fellow 'polytes' let's not give up easily. Let's watchout for the final outcome of the meeting on friday 28th. Please remember that at the 73rd NEC meeting 28 members voted for the strike to continue against 23 that voted for its suspention. Only the chairman does not have the right to suspend or continue the strike,the votes of the NEC executive councils matters
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by macklef(m): 7:19pm On Jun 27, 2013
God dey o..
learn a trade, education is overated.
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by OPEYEMIAD(m): 7:39pm On Jun 27, 2013
macklef: God dey o..
learn a trade, education is overated.
for your own little analytical mind abi?
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Evablazze(m): 7:42pm On Jun 27, 2013
Dis strike har really recked my academic calender..as 4d fed govt or wateva i await u guys at d nxt election..brat
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by larrytee(f): 7:47pm On Jun 27, 2013
May God take perfect control of 2maro's meeting.
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 27, 2013
OPEYEMI AD: THERE IS HOPE THAT ASUP STRIKE CAN STILL END THIS WEEK. . .

Despite the comment by the ASUP Chairman mr Chibuzor, that the strike continues. That statement is inconsequential and non determinant of the continuation of the strike. The 74th NEC meeting shall end on friday 28th,in which all the NEC executives shall vote,which shall determine whether the strike shall continue or not. So my fellow 'polytes' let's not give up easily. Let's watchout for the final outcome of the meeting on friday 28th. Please remember that at the 73rd NEC meeting 28 members voted for the strike to continue against 23 that voted for its suspention. Only the chairman does not have the right to suspend or continue the strike,the votes of the NEC executive councils matters
I still believe
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by joephemzyz(m): 8:21pm On Jun 27, 2013
Really hope dis strike end dis week o
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by dagentility(f): 7:20am On Jun 28, 2013
So this people are bent on frustrating us,from the first day i started schooling in a poly,i lost my boastful attitude when it comes to debating on which school is better. D.E things activated.

1 Like

Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 28, 2013
da-gentility:
So this people are bent on frustrating us,from the first day i started schooling in a poly,i lost my boastful attitude when it comes to debating on which school is better. D.E things activated.
DE or not,Hope you realise ASUU also goes on strike,and ASUP strike ll be child play when ASUU does what they know how to do best.. They whole system is flawed,you can only hope for the better
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by dagentility(f): 10:25am On Jun 28, 2013
OPEYEMI AD: THERE IS HOPE THAT ASUP STRIKE CAN STILL END THIS WEEK. . .

This particular post actually brought hope 2 me cos i was already thinking of starting work by monday,so der is stil hope,let me jst wait and see. Abeg op dont forget to give us d information on what was decided about d strike after today's meeting.Thanks
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by dagentility(f): 10:28am On Jun 28, 2013
Ogbeche77: DE or not,Hope you realise ASUU also goes on strike,and ASUP strike ll be child play when ASUU does what they know how to do best.. They whole system is flawed,you can only hope for the better
My brother,you speak d truth.
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by nividad(f): 12:40pm On Jun 28, 2013
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! FG cry
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by anayoez: 3:56pm On Jun 28, 2013
so sad what a degeneration of Nigerian school system.. All the way they wanna politick with everything..
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Smartfeeling: 5:37pm On Jun 28, 2013
5 Strategies for Dealing with Annoying Colleagues

https://kulljobs.com/5-strategies-for-dealing-with-annoying-colleagues/

1 Like

Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Smartfeeling: 5:40pm On Jun 28, 2013
Jemitola’s Commitment To Environmental Conservation In Edo State.

https://akokoedonewspaper.com.ng/jemitolas-commitment-to-environmental-conservation-in-edo-state/
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Femiblacky(m): 8:28pm On Jun 28, 2013
I know my comment will be slightly different from that of others,but all I know and can bet on is that the strike will be off before december
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by nividad(f): 4:08pm On Jun 29, 2013
Abeg bros wey gv us hope? Wetin happen nau? Me don taya to stay haus oh.
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by OPEYEMIAD(m): 4:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
The Senate yesterday waded into the face-off between the federal government and polytechnic teachers, who have been on strike for the past three months.
ASUP had proceeded on an indefinite strike on April 29 to compel the government to implement the agreement it reached with the union in October 2009.
Among the demands of ASUP is the implementation of the agreed consolidated tertiary institutions' salary structure (CONTISS).
Worried by the lull in the nation's polytechnics, the Senate Committee on Education yesterday held a closed-door meeting with polytechnic lecturers and relevant ministers where during which they appealed to the lecturers to call off the strike and return to the classroom.
They also asked the federal government to implement the agreement it had earlier reached with them.
According to a source at the meeting, which had in attendance Rufa'i and her counterpart in Labour and Productivity Ministry, Chief Emeka Wogu, the lecturers accused the government of not establishing governing councils in all the polytechnics as earlier agreed.
He said the lecturers alleged that the trend had created a situation where the affected institutions are run by cartels.
He added that the lecturers complained of the dichotomy in salary structure in polytechnics and universities.
According to him, the committee observed that if some polytechnic lecturers now hold doctoral degrees, it might not be totally out of place if they were equally remunerated like their university counterparts.
nividad: Abeg bros wey gv us hope? Wetin happen nau? Me don taya to stay haus oh.
[quote
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2013
What was d outcome of the meeting na!wetin dem kon conclude
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by OPEYEMIAD(m): 6:49pm On Jul 03, 2013
which meeting again?
ozonuwe1: What was d outcome of the meeting na!wetin dem kon conclude
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by ewoma1989(f): 11:30pm On Jul 03, 2013
So why can't ds make front page? If na ASUU sneze or ASUU won shit he go reach front pge........it so bad seun and his mod shud jst take time...... asup has been on strike fr more dan 2months yet no single post /topic from education abt asup made front page......trash.......................

2 Likes

Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by Nobody: 6:36am On Jul 04, 2013
ewoma1989: So why can't ds make front page? If na ASUU sneze or ASUU won shit he go reach front pge........it so bad seun and his mod shud jst take time...... asup has been on strike fr more dan 2months yet no single post /topic from education abt asup made front page......trash.......................
I can vividly remember two topics about ASUP strike made frontpage, I think we don't really need them, all media (social, print etc) have proven to us that they ain't interested. One day I Salaksmana will prove a point to the world, that day professors will wish they had gone to polytechnic.

2 Likes

Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by OPEYEMIAD(m): 5:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
President of Academic Staff Unionof Polytechnics, ASUP, Dr Chibuzor Asomugha, Thurday disclosed that the Senate Committee on Education has promised to intervene on the imbroglio between the Federal Government and ASUP to put an end to the 67-day-old industrial action.
He said: “The Senate Committee has pledged to intervene with theSecretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and the Office of Accountant General of the Federation (OAGF) with a viewto sorting out issues surroundingthe completion of the appointment of members of Governing Councils of six polytechnics and the Integrated Personnel and Payroll InformationSystem (IPPIS) imbroglio.”
Asomugha who described ASUP meeting with Senate Committee as fruitful said, “definite assignments were given to different stakeholders with Tuesday next week as deadline for results.”
Present at the meeting were; members of Senate Committee on Education, Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Rufa’i and Minister of Labour, Barr. Emeka Wogu. Others were the Executive Secretary of the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), Dr.Mas’udu A. Kazaure, National Publicity Secretary, ASUP, Mr. Clement Chairman, Permanent Secretary (Education) and Directorof Establishment (Head Of Service).
“The potentially fruitful parley will reconvene on Tuesday next week to appraise progress from the different efforts,” the ASUP leader said.
ASUP had embarked on a nationwide indefinite strike on 29th April over what they termed Federal Government’s insensitivityto their demands.
They are asking government to adequately fund polytechnics, appoint qualified Rectors, and resolve the issue of integrated Polytechnic Payroll system among others.
Re: Read ASUP and NAPS strike Update here by joephemzyz(m): 6:38pm On Jul 04, 2013
Nyc one ope""""""""""""abeg wots d implication of dis o?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output / Lady With 3rd Class In Nigerian University Bags 100% Masters In UK University / Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.