Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Why You Should Get Dancing… - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Should Get Dancing… (577 Views)

I Bent My 4th Toe On My Left Feet While Dancing In My Room / OBO Girl Spotted Using Headphone, Dancing While Driving / Awesome! Ballet Dancing And She's 9 Months Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Get Dancing… by passnownow: 6:38pm On Jun 28, 2013
Dancing for me relieves stress, makes my head lighter and I become more alert after engaging in it. I usually never miss an opportunity to dance, and most of my friends believe that I just can’t do without it. I am not a professional dancer (hope to be soonest) or a fitness instructor but I can categorically tell you that dancing takes you to another realm once you lose yourself in it. Dancing is a form of aerobic exercise, which means it is vigorous enough to raise your heart and breathing rates. All forms of dancing improve balance and coordination, although some are better than others. Whether you choose to learn ballroom dancing from a qualified instructor, participate in a dance-fitness class at a gym or dance along with a video in your living room, there is a number of ways to enjoy dance and get a good aerobic workout simultaneously.

I attended an event recently, Wajo Lagos; this was an open floor dance gathering for dance lovers. A doctor who has also been a dancer for the past 10 years came to share the benefits of dancing and I could not help but agree strongly with her on the points she raised. She said, dancing builds your level of confidence, makes you smarter and more agile. She also said, it makes you more intelligent because you have to learn a lot of choreography. Another salient point raised was that the rates of diabetes and hypertension cases have increased drastically in the past years; she advised that dancing and a lot of activities can help curtail this. You feel very light and able to carry yourself gracefully. It was worthy of note that dancers have more beautiful bodies and you enjoy dancing more when you are not under the pressure of an intending performance but just free styling.

Benefits of Dancing

Dance helps to build your confidence by constantly performing in front of an audience; this would help shy people to overcome their shyness.
Dancing can help improve bone density and decrease the likelihood of osteoporosis (A condition which makes the bones brittle and fragile from loss of tissue)
Psychologically, dancing offers an opportunity to be with others, and to work off stress and fatigue.
The music that accompanies dancing can heighten energy and mood, and provide an enjoyable time.
Some people do a lot of work out/dieting for weight loss, dancing can actually help you burn some calories and positively affect weight loss too.
The repetitive movements involved in dance can improve muscle tone, correct poor posture, increase balance and coordination and improve overall cardiovascular health.
Dancing qualifies as an exercise (30 minutes rigorous dancing daily can suffice)
Dancing is also a highly social activity. According to “FamilyTalk Magazine,” dance lessons can help people improve their social and communication skills, learn how to work as part of a team, develop a greater sense of trust and cooperation and make new friends.
Dancing improves discipline and focus; skills that can be useful to you.
Dancing can help to boost creativity and develop an appreciation for the arts. This has worked tremendously for me.
Dancing aids relaxation of both the mind and body as a result of the joy that comes with completing a dance.

The benefits of dancing cannot be overemphasized; health wise, educationally, socially etc. If you have not been dancing or confused on how to get started, not to worry, there are so many dance schools or centers around where you can learn to dance professionally, for fitness or just for fun, if you ask around. Although, The Society for the Performing Arts in Nigeria (SPAN) is a very prominent one that offers variety of dance classes for various age grades.

You can follow the link to see the various dance steps and find which interests you the most: http://dance.about.com/od/typesofdance/tp/Dance_Types.htm

A few minutes of active dance a day will keep the doctor away! [https://passnownow.com/pnnblog/why-you-should-get-dancing/]
Re: Why You Should Get Dancing… by lecturerdabo(m): 5:23am On Jun 29, 2013
Looking for my dancing shoes
Re: Why You Should Get Dancing… by Uchennaaaa(m): 6:08am On Jun 30, 2013
Dancing is also a very easy way to do home exercise.

Imagine rocking to the latest Azonto for about 30 minutes daily...

Dat is a very sure way to burn calories and have fun...

Nice article...
Re: Why You Should Get Dancing… by Xenisha: 9:17am On Nov 08, 2022
Everyone has a goal and a dream and here my dream was to dance, I wanted to dance the waltz and thanks to my willpower I went to dance school how to ballroom dance found it here https://www.quicksteps.com.au/ballroom-dance-lessons/ literally a month and the waltz in my hands

(1) (Reply)

Kola Or Cigarette? / A Short History Of Cigars And Tobacco / Ortho Or Physio Doc.: I Need An Urgent Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.