Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,975 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? (9348 Views)

LAWMA Truck Attendant Killed As Tire Bursts During Guaging (Photo) / How Is Gender Equality And Women Empowerment Faring In Relationships And Love? / LAWMA Begins Street/Road Washing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 01, 2013
In my area,they really are efficient. Come once in α week,bill is abt 1k/mnth. Bill comes regularly with α special lawma bank teller. Huge green waste bins were placed strategically on some streets for those who need to use them. They also have these young dudes who carry the refuse from where they'r dropped 2d d truck. All u need do is drop ur dirt at ur gate,these guys pick it up,empty it and return. I stay at isolo-mushin area btw
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by grandstar(m): 12:23am On Jul 02, 2013
They are okay in my area in Alausa. Always present on Tuesday with their truck and you see people trooping out. Only problem is that people do not pay.

1 Like

Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by Nobody: 1:13am On Jul 02, 2013
the come every 2 weeks in my area, Irawo, along Ikorodu road
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by lastpage: 1:33am On Jul 02, 2013
Nigerians..... and Lagosians in particular, are NOT STEWPID! wink
They will pay for services ONLY IF DELIVERED.

I tell you, l notice these LAWMA guys:

*They are not regular ..and this leads to accumulation of filth.

*When they come, they blow their horns and disturb the whole neighborhood! Children are rudely woken up from sleep!

*The Refuse Truck is ALWAYS ON THE MOVE and this forces people to be chasing it, with a load of rubbish in tow! What happens is that half of the rubbish is spilled along the way, in chasing the refuse truck. Dirty streets trail them, when they eventually show-up

*Irrespective of whether they show up, pick-up any rubbish or just drive-by, THEY STILL BRING THEIR SILLY BILL FOR YOU TO PAY! (Seems they have learned the "How its done", from NEPA? ) wink

In summary, they are NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. Q.E.D

Suggestions:

*Do a ROASTER, let every Area/Street have a PICK-UP DAY .... and TIME within the Week . Publicise it to the residents well in advance.

*Provide (or let them rent it at minimal price), Refuse BINS for each household or where it is a face me-i-face you house, provide a "lockable" Refuse DUMPSTER for the whole building, in front of the house (Lockable so that others cant use it except the house members alone. wink wink winkTrust my lagos peeps now, dem no dey carry last. grin

*On pick-Up day for any street, let the people arrange their waste in labelled Polythene bags/ Refuse Bins in front of their houses.They dont even need to be around as everybody cant be around, they need t go to work as well.

*Pick the Rubbish from there and Return their refuse Bins. Empty/Carry-off the Dumpsters and Replace it there.

*Charge a reasonable fee for this service (I know we Nigerians are good at exploiting the poor masses..... and the masses too have developed a knack to evade these exploitative charges as well wink angry angry )

*Payment should be 'agreed' and 'agreed' payment should be payable only to the Service Provider's official and publicised bank Account on a monthly basis or a 'reduced' yearly basis, as an incentive to pay early ......in advance.

*Government should pass laws that makes EVERYONE (Service Provider and masses) to be accountable, responsible and liable, for their part in this arrangement.
The masses should be able to sue the Service Provider if he collects money and refuse to provide agreed services .... Service Provider, through instrument of Government, can also seek punishment for failure to pay for services PROVIDED. (court fines, lock houses, even jail time!)
Mind you, that 'provided' is in capital letters! (NEPA comes to mind! shocked shocked )

Whats the big deal in this LAWMA matter?

Why is every SIMPLE THING turned into Rocket Science in Nigeria sef?
sad sad

Please, stop making me appear intelligent, l am not, just your average Tajudeen around the corner! grin grin grin

I hope they will hear sha.

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by kayesanmi(m): 3:57am On Jul 02, 2013
Do you know that there's a phone number you can call to make your complaints? If you have any issues with the psp operatives, you can call these numbers...

LAWMA's Toll- Free-Line 5577 OR 07080601020.

2 Likes

Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by ba7man(m): 5:28am On Jul 02, 2013
They gave everyone a large, cool looking waste bin with a logo on it. They come to my hood every wednesday and I'v never touched a bin to empty it, they pick up the bins, empty it and return it. I stay in Ikosi-Ketu. I'll score them 8/10.
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by xatbiodam: 7:16am On Jul 02, 2013
they always show up in my area www.iblognaija.com
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by olawaletaiwo(m): 7:29am On Jul 02, 2013
there is alot here in abeokuta ( Sabo, Abule Otun at lafenwa etc
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by anonimi: 7:43am On Jul 02, 2013
lohvang4: LAWMA has failed woefully, period! It is part of ACN/Fashola failure in his 2nd term. SOme ACN dummy would blame GEJ for the rubbish Lagos state govt is dishing out these days.

As it is with the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN so it with Lagos Waste Mismanagement Authority, LAWMA.

Check Alimosho LGA (Lagos state largest local govt), it's worse than some village farm roads. An example is Ipaja-Ayobo Road, Ikotun-Egbe Road, etc. You'll wonder if you are in Lagos state. Yet, they're developing the area where they stay while the real voters are left to hold the can...

It is the voters' choice and it is their CONSEQUENCE to bear.
If they want a different outcome they should organise themselves and vote differently especially at the LGA, state and federal legislator elections.

BTW, is waste collection and environmental sanitation not a function of the LGAs as stipulated in the 4th schedule of the 1999 constitution
How come Fashola a whole Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN does not know this?
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by boladez(m): 7:43am On Jul 02, 2013
...................no longer as efficient and regular. I think Tunji Bello should fire up his people.
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by Aliyeous(m): 8:07am On Jul 02, 2013
wc 1 b lawma again....neva heard of it b4 oh or is it bcoz am frm d north
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by TonySpike: 8:21am On Jul 02, 2013
mbulela: Waste management is one major issue on which Eko has baje well well.
I consider it a blot in the report card of BRF. I don't know whether it is his area of jurisdiction or the LGAs but since he is often showered with encomium for all the good that happens in Lagos (rightfully), i deem it fit to also blame him for the filth in the city. In my view, LAWMA is a failed agency. Expecting people to stockpile rubbish until a given day of the week is unrealistic and counter productive. This waste management process needs to be revisited and personal waste management tutorials made mandatory for all lagosians irrespective of class. Lagosians are not very clean people(putting it mildly).

I've resided outside the country and in most cases, waste trucks only visit neighbourhoods once a week. I don't see this system as being unrealistic, but the overpopulated nature of Lagos might be a source of concern though. I support lastpage's suggestions, those recommendation will help them improve considerably...

1 Like

Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by joanana(f): 8:33am On Jul 02, 2013
Omexonomy: dem no de come and where for AJ are you talking about.

Who tell you say dem no dey come? maybe na for your street sha. When dem notice say many people for the street no dey pay , they will stop coming to that street. please pay ur bills, LAWMA no be F.O.C tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by mapet: 8:34am On Jul 02, 2013
1. My brother, please stop spewing horible lie and saying what you don't know on the net.
2. Waste Management a blot on Fashola's record? some of you are just plain ridiculous.
3. Lagos State government has the most organized, well thought through and well planned waste management model in Nigeria.
4. It is on record that even governors from Northern states (I think Kano) had sent his people to learn the Lagos Model and replicate it in his state.
5. There is no filth in Lagos as many of you are telling lies here. Lagos Waste model have about 3 Major dump sites, some mini-dumpsites, 2 major transfer loading stations, recycling plants and collection systems.
6. LAWMA do not collect waste. It is the PSP, a private initiative supported by the Lagos government that has the responsibility to collect waste and deliver such at either the loding stations or the dump sites.
7. The Lagos State government actually replenished the waste trucks of the PSP with new ones in 2012. An arrangement on a loan basis, that sees the PSP's repayment netted of from the income they get and reduced taxes.
8. Now we can understand that service delivery and quality is still a thing some of the PSPs are trying to grapple with, but on a holistic scale, waste collection is well arranged in Lagos.
9. We may not have gotten to the level of Europe and US in waste managment, but we are evolving. The Green waste collection bin is ideal to keep waste of each household for at least 5days, within which the PSPs shows up.
10. I live in Millenium Citi-Cetre Estates Gbagada (formerly Oke Alo), a semi-hibrow by all standards. The PSP in our area comes 2x a week (Wednesdays and Saturdays). We are encouraged to pay quarterly; 500-700 per flat and 1000-1500 per duplex. It was embarrasing enough at the residential association meeting this past Saturday, the General Manager of the PSP company came to adress us, and complained that some houses have outstanding payments.
11. There are teething problems that we all have to manage. The PSPs not performing will have to either be replaced or repremanded. But the people should also pay there bills.
12. Till I left Ikorodu in 2011, In Oke-Oriya, where I lived, there was no PSP, yet trucks came, park in a spot, people bring out there garbage and put it in the waste truck for free.
13. Virtually all major roads in Lagos have street sweepers - from Ajegunle, Iyana Ipaja, Ikorodu, Ketu to Surulere, Victoria Island etc. You hardly see waste dumps on the road side like before.
mbulela: Waste management is one major issue on which Eko has baje well well.
I consider it a blot in the report card of BRF. I don't know whether it is his area of jurisdiction or the LGAs but since he is often showered with encomium for all the good that happens in Lagos (rightfully), i deem it fit to also blame him for the filth in the city. In my view, LAWMA is a failed agency. Expecting people to stockpile rubbish until a given day of the week is unrealistic and counter productive. This waste management process needs to be revisited and personal waste management tutorials made mandatory for all lagosians irrespective of class. Lagosians are not very clean people(putting it mildly).
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by mapet: 8:41am On Jul 02, 2013
I did research in Waste Management -Waste-2-Wealth as my Business School Thesis/Business Plan. I did a case study on the waste management model in Lagos and Barcelona. It is virtually the same model, yet our people need understand the way things work and what the ideal situation should be.

1. The Green waste bin given to household idealy should contain the waste of each household for minimum 5days. These waste bins have tyres and the collectors disposes the waste themselves. The challenge I think is that you are required to show evidence of payment of property tax as incentive to be given the waste bin. House that are yet to have the green bin, now use small containers, herein comes the spills

2. This is just the begining of a longer journey. The government will so require us to separate our waste before disposal into paper, organic and plastics. Then we will come to terms with bigger requirements and collective participation in managing waste in our state
Tony Spike:

I've resided outside the country and in most cases, waste trucks only visit neighbourhoods once a week. I don't see this system as being unrealistic, but the overpopulated nature of Lagos might be a source of concern though. I support lastpage's suggestions, those recommendation will help them improve considerably...
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by mapet: 8:46am On Jul 02, 2013
@ Lastpage,

While observing some good suggestions you've made, I cannot but point out some wrong informations and assumptions as well.

1. The PSPs have take waste upfront and require payment when default issues come in. Many Lagosians even the presumed learned folks are shamelessly defaulting in their bills
2. That they blow their horns and disturb children...is utter rubbish, ridiculous and false. Are you sure you live in Lagos
3. I don't know about your area, but in areas where the PSPs have signed arrangements with people, the refuse trucks stays to pick their garbage. We all filled registration forms before engaging these PSPs. Those people chasing the trucks are probably house that are not registered to the PSPs, hence they can only take advantage when the PSP truck passes
lastpage: Nigerians..... and Lagosians in particular, are NOT STEWPID! wink
They will pay for services ONLY IF DELIVERED.

I tell you, l notice these LAWMA guys:

*They are not regular ..and this leads to accumulation of filth.

*When they come, they blow their horns and disturb the whole neighborhood! Children are rudely woken up from sleep!

*The Refuse Truck is ALWAYS ON THE MOVE and this forces people to be chasing it, with a load of rubbish in tow! What happens is that half of the rubbish is spilled along the way, in chasing the refuse truck. Dirty streets trail them, when they eventually show-up

*Irrespective of whether they show up, pick-up any rubbish or just drive-by, THEY STILL BRING THEIR SILLY BILL FOR YOU TO PAY! (Seems they have learned the "How its done", from NEPA? ) wink

In summary, they are NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. Q.E.D

Suggestions:

*Do a ROASTER, let every Area/Street have a PICK-UP DAY .... and TIME within the Week . Publicise it to the residents well in advance.

*Provide (or let them rent it at minimal price), Refuse BINS for each household or where it is a face me-i-face you house, provide a "lockable" Refuse DUMPSTER for the whole building, in front of the house (Lockable so that others cant use it except the house members alone. wink wink winkTrust my lagos peeps now, dem no dey carry last. grin

*On pick-Up day for any street, let the people arrange their waste in labelled Polythene bags/ Refuse Bins in front of their houses.They dont even need to be around as everybody cant be around, they need t go to work as well.

*Pick the Rubbish from there and Return their refuse Bins. Empty/Carry-off the Dumpsters and Replace it there.

*Charge a reasonable fee for this service (I know we Nigerians are good at exploiting the poor masses..... and the masses too have developed a knack to evade these exploitative charges as well wink angry angry )

*Payment should be 'agreed' and 'agreed' payment should be payable only to the Service Provider's official and publicised bank Account on a monthly basis or a 'reduced' yearly basis, as an incentive to pay early ......in advance.

*Government should pass laws that makes EVERYONE (Service Provider and masses) to be accountable, responsible and liable, for their part in this arrangement.
The masses should be able to sue the Service Provider if he collects money and refuse to provide agreed services .... Service Provider, through instrument of Government, can also seek punishment for failure to pay for services PROVIDED. (court fines, lock houses, even jail time!)
Mind you, that 'provided' is in capital letters! (NEPA comes to mind! shocked shocked )

Whats the big deal in this LAWMA matter?

Why is every SIMPLE THING turned into Rocket Science in Nigeria sef?
sad sad

Please, stop making me appear intelligent, l am not, just your average Tajudeen around the corner! grin grin grin

I hope they will hear sha.

Lastpage!
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by bot101(m): 9:34am On Jul 02, 2013
why u dey ask me? I no live for lagos na!
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by noobsaibot2(m): 9:56am On Jul 02, 2013
[size=48pt]WHICH ONE BE LAWMA AGAIN

THE ODA DAY NA LASMA CATCH ME FOR MILE 2 [BADAGARY EXPRESSWAY] angry angry angry

FIRST TIME TO DRIVE FOR LAGOS angry angry angry[/size]
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by sparta(f): 9:56am On Jul 02, 2013
in my area it is fantastic. Bill is 500 per month for a flat. They pick up refuse every monday and they never fail. If you have issues with them you can make a complaint at their office but ensure you pay your bills regularly. Personally, i wont trade their service for that of truck pushers.
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by Nobody: 10:08am On Jul 02, 2013
hollandis: fooolisshh country
u r very pretty
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by deelobe: 11:25am On Jul 02, 2013
My rating for them is 10%. I live around Onipanu. The services are inconsistent. Bills are irregular. In actual fact the bill comes every six months and you are lumped with bills you should pay regularly. the last time we received a bill in my house was September last year. each flat pays 500 Naira per month. the time they also come used to be every friday but now they coome when they feel like such that many people who are not at thome when they come cannot dispose of their refuse.

having LAWMA was a step in the right direction by the Lagos State Government but as usual monitoring and supervision are challenges that they never seem to overcome in governance in this country. the boss of LAWMA needs to look into this. I am not talking about sending for reports that will be doctored by the people sending them. Why dont you pay impromptu visits to the places where complains are coming from and find out if they come on the day they say they would.

most of the vehicles used are also in a state of disrepair such that you wonder who purchased these vehicles
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 02, 2013
Personally, i rate LAWMA 5%....My parents residence @ ago palace way in Lagos where i lived b4 moving to ph experience poor service from LAWMA. Anytime i speak with my parents, it's still the same report that the guys rarely come. If they perform well, they come 1ce every 2weeks and sometimes they come once a month. I remember 1ce when i was on vacation for a complete month and i neva set my eyes on the PSP/LAWMA guys till i left lag back to Ph. It's terrible there so peeps there augment their service with kolekole boys. As per paying bills, my parents pay on time and even benefit from the 10% discount accorded to people that pay b4 d deadline of payment. I personally go to pay for them anytime i'm in lag...LAWMA, Land Use Act (former tenement rate), PHCN bills etc.

The most annoying part of the activities of PSP contractors is that they come in the middle of a working day....so if your entire household go to work/trade, ur dirt won't be picked up cos they most times enter the street clinging a bell, if you don't bring your dirt, they move away without collecting you garbage. And only 1 truck is sent to my area to service 6streets cos i see them moving from 1street to the other until they get filled up. So, if u're not lucky, the truck will get filled up without u disposing you waste, and u'll still get the bill for using a service which u neva used. angry
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by mapet: 7:50am On Jul 03, 2013
dumb!dumb!!dumb!!!

lohvang4: LAWMA has failed woefully, period! It is part of ACN/Fashola failure in his 2nd term. SOme ACN dummy would blame GEJ for the rubbish Lagos state govt is dishing out these days. Check Alimosho LGA (Lagos state largest local govt), it's worse than some village farm roads. An example is Ipaja-Ayobo Road, Ikotun-Egbe Road, etc. You'll wonder if you are in Lagos state. Yet, they're developing the area where they stay while the real voters are left to hold the can...
Re: How Is LAWMA Faring In Your Area? by iceque(m): 6:09pm On Jun 28, 2016
wisemany2k:
Personally, i rate LAWMA 5%....My parents residence @ ago palace way in Lagos where i lived b4 moving to ph experience poor service from LAWMA. Anytime i speak with my parents, it's still the same report that the guys rarely come. If they perform well, they come 1ce every 2weeks and sometimes they come once a month. I remember 1ce when i was on vacation for a complete month and i neva set my eyes on the PSP/LAWMA guys till i left lag back to Ph. It's terrible there so peeps there augment their service with kolekole boys. As per paying bills, my parents pay on time and even benefit from the 10% discount accorded to people that pay b4 d deadline of payment. I personally go to pay for them anytime i'm in lag...LAWMA, Land Use Act (former tenement rate), PHCN bills etc.

The most annoying part of the activities of PSP contractors is that they come in the middle of a working day....so if your entire household go to work/trade, ur dirt won't be picked up cos they most times enter the street clinging a bell, if you don't bring your dirt, they move away without collecting you garbage. And only 1 truck is sent to my area to service 6streets cos i see them moving from 1street to the other until they get filled up. So, if u're not lucky, the truck will get filled up without u disposing you waste, and u'll still get the bill for using a service which u neva used. angry
May I Ask How Yuu Pay For Lawma Services?!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Condolence Message To The Families Of 25th Bomb Blast St theresa cath churc / Okada Riders Now Ply Oshodi-Apapa, Lagos-Badagry Expressway Unhindered / Madness In Nigeria! Lot Of Pple In A Pool.(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.