Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,377 members, 7,819,370 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] (7577 Views)

My Menstruation Date Is Not Stable / Painful Menstruation Is It Normal?. / No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by tochi(f): 3:09am On May 25, 2006
Ok, most people are sitting there trying to judge people that take the pill as trying to change the course of nature or hand of God or whatever reasons have been listed. While i agree on very few of the raised issues with stopping your period, dont forget that everyone is different. Take for instance myself, everymonth when i am on my period, i get admitted for 4 days because of the harsh pain and severe dehydration. This means skipping classes, work, activities and etc. When that time of the month comes, i pack my things and stay ready! If i decide to stop this demon due to the advancement in science (which i am not saying i have done) why shud someone sit there and judge me based on "changing the course of nature" or "God's work". What if i dont even believe in God?
Bottomline: Dont rush judgement because you are not always sure what reasons lie behind it!
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Zahymaka(m): 3:27am On May 25, 2006
Tochi, I understand what you mean. In some cases, birth control pills when prescribed by doctors are used to regularize the monthly flow and to alleviate some of the effects -- especially for people who secrete excess hormones.

Most pills however, upset the balance of the female body because they inhibit your hormones. They should be used with caution because you might turn out getting something you never expected.

Because it slows down hormones the subject might find it hard to get pregnant and even harder to lactate.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by omogenaija(f): 3:28am On May 25, 2006
tochi u have a good point i guess. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by omogenaija(f): 3:59am On May 25, 2006
Zahymaka:

Tochi, I understand what you mean. In some cases, birth control pills when prescribed by doctors are used to regularize the monthly flow and to alleviate some of the effects -- especially for people who secrete excess hormones.

Most pills however, upset the balance of the female body because they inhibit your hormones. They should be used with caution because you might turn out getting something you never expected.

Because it slows down hormones the subject might[b] find it hard to get pregnant [/b] and even harder to lactate.

isn't that the point of birth control. to find it hard to get pregnant ?
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Zahymaka(m): 4:02am On May 25, 2006
When you want to get pregnant, you go through even more wahala.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by mamaput(f): 12:25pm On May 25, 2006
A really good dr will only advise these methods for women that have finished the family planning
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Seun(m): 1:08pm On May 25, 2006
Zahy, you have never menstruated in your life. Why do you feel competent to denounce this discovery?
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Zahymaka(m): 1:16pm On May 25, 2006
Seun:

Zahy, you have never menstruated in your life. Why do you feel competent to denounce this discovery?

Using the same yardstick, you haven't either. I'm just voicing my opinion and finding out how many women feel about it.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by mide2(f): 3:09pm On May 25, 2006
I will certainly not crucify any lady who finds her periods really distressing and unbearable stopping it if she can. Because i've seen how really bad the period can be. For example, my momma's friend's daughter usually get kind of nervous/mental breakdown during her periods. She basically goes into the manic phase for the 5 days of flow. How would you now tell someone like her not to stop it if she can.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by tochi(f): 3:44pm On May 25, 2006
@mide2, thank you very much o~! Finally, someone that understands!
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by lioness(f): 4:40pm On May 25, 2006
let 'em blood and crank keep flowing grin i aint complaining cheesy cheesy
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by noshaking(f): 5:36pm On May 25, 2006
This is an interesting topic, everybody has contributed according to their knowledge. The truth is that drugs generally apart from relieving pain have side effect which doctors don't normally tell their clients; they will only say it depends on the body system, so if this drug doesn't work for you then go for another one.

Am not against female using the pill as a corrective measures but it is really absurd for someone to stop nature's work just for the fun of it. I mean every organ in our body have a part to play for our good health, if we decide to stop one for the other don't u think there will be problem.

Moreover, I have a feeling that the side effect will not only affect the user but the offspring as time goes on.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by mamaput(f): 5:42pm On May 25, 2006
Well i too have had a friend that kept passing out because of pains.
No one can demand from a woman to bear it.If she dont want to.
But The Dr should make her aware of the side effects and she makes up her mind
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by bagoma(f): 8:52pm On May 25, 2006
there is a side effect to this which could turn out to be more of a problem than discomforts of a period.
tochi, your situation like a few others like yourself is perfectly understood but what i cant begin to fathom is the idea of stopping it just for pleasure.
there are definetely side effects to deal with later. lipsrsealed

my take.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Seun(m): 10:08pm On May 25, 2006
No one can demand from a woman to bear it. If she don't want to.
Now that is the proper response. It's the woman that knows what she wants to do with her body.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by gigitte(f): 12:49am On May 26, 2006
actually if you think about and i thought about taking seasonale for a long time due to an unnatural hatred of periods, women today are menstruating way more than before. first of all we get periods earlier at about nine to ten years these days, we have less children, think about your grand parents having like at least six kids to ppl having three now and all the miscarriages and young deaths. so women had less periods than today.
furthermore, the original developer of the pill allowed for having periods just to make stuff look normal, thats why theres that window when u take dont take anything so your period can come and thats why ppl with highly irregular periods go on the pill. think about it the pill prevents you from ovulating, so if you dont ovulate how do you have periods? the pill already engineers your period, so im not sure about causes for concern here. what i did hear is that seasonale causing longer and painful periods when the periods do occur

ppl have been skipping periods for years in quiet, not that i agree with this but i dont think its reasonably worse than going on the pill

billings is the way to GO!
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Ndipe(m): 2:39am On May 26, 2006
@gigette

You mean billings method?
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Scorpio(f): 2:48am On May 26, 2006
i think that's wat she meant, then again, i'm not in support of dat sha! *ps: daz my 2cents biko*
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Badman888(m): 2:50am On May 26, 2006
menustration, becoming optional wow, This guys always comes up with different drugs. But on the long run they all have side effects. My advice stay away from this drugs you never know what might happen.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by AaLiyaH2(f): 12:43pm On May 26, 2006
big up Shannon wink

you guys here seem to be so against the birth control pill, not every female is blessed with painless periods. i for one suffer very much , well used to, not a single known pain killer helped me, infact i thought painkillers made my pain worse. i've tried ibrupen, paracetamol, mefinamic acid just to mention a few but nothing helped Nothing with a capital N. I was in bed for three days every month, i missed alot of lessons because the pain was unbearable and it was also starting to affect my social life, then one day i was introduced to bcp that could actually help me lead a normal life, since then 've been panctual and what have you. what i'm trying to say ia that i don't use the bcp to prevent pregnancy or having my period but i use it to get on with my life, i know there will come a day when i wanna have kids/husband, but until then i'll stand by the PILL
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by uzygirl(f): 5:54pm On May 26, 2006
When i was younger, my mum told me that some women didnt see their periods, and explained that it was an abnormality that a doctor must look into.

But when mine started, i started praying that i should be one of them. It was sheer hell. It still is, and keeps me from work and school at least 3 days in every month.
And even makes me fear, cos how will i cope with being an invalid every month, then be jumping like grasscutter the other days. And some guys who dont understand would even get scared.

But i wouldn't try this option in the light of its possible side effects and failing medical techniques. You know they never give you 100% guarantee that it would have no side effects too.
My friend who used the pill and is now married but no kids yet. Its been 3 years now since she took those pills btu nothing.

You won't catch me taking them oh.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by IAH(f): 7:00pm On May 26, 2006
Although I usually have bad cramps but I'm afraid that this kind of drug might prevent someone from having babies.(?) So I'd try it out after bearing all my pikins. smiley
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by uzygirl(f): 7:18pm On May 26, 2006
Most times the pains go away with childbirth sha.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by favourwal(f): 8:14pm On May 26, 2006
i'm interested in this. any side effects?
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Shannon(f): 2:16am On May 27, 2006
I won't lie, there were some side effects, but mostly it's about finding the right pill for your own body chemistry. It might take some time to adjust and in the meantime it isn't always pleasant. Personally I went on the pills because I have a condition which prevents ovulation, leading to infertility if it's untreated. The bcp were actually used to cause ovulation so that I would be able to have children when I wanted them. Eventually my period regulated itself and I didn't have to use them anymore.

It's really something to discuss in detail with your doctor, especially if you are using them for the prevention of pregnancy because there are a lot of rules involved. Like antibiotics render them ineffective in preventing pregnancy, if you weigh over a certain amount the percentage of effectiveness also drops. There are lots of birth control methods out there and although condoms and bcp are the most common there are other options which may be a better fit for some people. Like I said, something to discuss in depth with your ob/gyn.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by gigitte(f): 5:48am On May 28, 2006
yeah i meant billings method, scorpio was right

a lot of ppl dont wanna use it, cos you really have to use it right and it takes a lot of work etc etc etc
its completely natural tho

as for pills, there are a lot of good reasons why ppl use them, but if you dont need to please dont, when my periods were the devil himself, if you see the way my mother begged me not go on the pill, i began to wonder, thanks be to God they are getting so much better now, except i think they might be coming bk worse. the next few days will tell.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by AaLiyaH2(f): 12:34pm On May 29, 2006
uzygirl, i don't mean to disagree with you but "most pain goes away when you give birth" statement ain't true. you can give birth to as many babies but for the most unfortunate the pain just worsens, the pain doesn't go away, that statement just encourages people to multiply
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by jaybaby(f): 9:16pm On Jun 10, 2006
:d :d :d :d seun u amaze me-yes god said in pain we ll give birth that wouldnt stop us from taking pain reliever- i'm not sure if i had ever taught of taking that pill-have you ever taught of the ------------------ effect! we are nigerians oooooooo hmmm
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Coco29(f): 4:17pm On Jun 12, 2006
i personally think that it is a good thing, because there are times when a woman do not want to have a period, and it should be her choice if the technology exist. However there have been in resent years links with cancer due to non-menstruation.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Mystique(f): 4:51pm On Jun 29, 2006
I've got three words:

Tryin To Change Nature

(Okay 4 words!) wink
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Busta(f): 2:45pm On Jul 11, 2006
@ Mystique

u got that right out of my head.

"trying to change Nature and the works of God"
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Bisiriyu: 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2006
Such things have repercussions it's better to allow nature to take its cause. Don't try to change the hands of God.

It's the will of God for women to menstate so be it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Wipeout Staphylococcus From Your Body Completely In Just 4 Months / Constant Headache / Court Orders Residents Doctors To Suspend Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.