Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,460 members, 7,819,677 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] (7579 Views)

My Menstruation Date Is Not Stable / Painful Menstruation Is It Normal?. / No Menstruation 6 Months After Giving Birth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by camara(f): 8:33am On Jul 18, 2006
i noticed(don't know if it's the same with most people)when i take a lot of sweet things b4 the period that's when i have a lot of pain.the same goes 4 my friends.
so maybe the ladies should try cutting down on the intake of sweet things(i.e if they fall into that category)and if that doesn't work they they can try the pill.
but then again what's good 4 A might not be good 4 B.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Nadine20(f): 8:40am On Aug 01, 2006
I'm sorry but the menstrual cycle us women have is the most disgusting thing on this earth. The thought of actually having to bleed out the lining of my uterus and unfertilized egg seems really unnatural to me sometimes. I don't see the need as to why we have to do this every month. I have the worst cramps, and my blood flows so heavily all the time. I just get so disgusted man. I don't like having to go through that crap at all. It's not beautiful, and I don't want to do it anymore. But I won't be taking those drugs either undecided. Of all things, why did God have to make women menstruate? I usually want to scream ANYTHING BUT THIS that time of the month, but it does me no justice. I'm not trying to offend any women on this board, but how can you actually like bleeding? And the smell OH MY Gawd! I feel like a woman period. I don't need to menstruate to feel complete, but since it won't go away naturally it's nothing but pain killers and a heating pad for me.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Coco29(f): 9:06am On Aug 03, 2006
that is why the pill exist darling i have a coil fitted with extra harmones my period last 2-3 days and is very light grin grin grin the only down side is that i eat cho and any thing sweet for one week before and one week after.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Ollie39: 7:00pm On Jul 09, 2007
Personally, I would not touch it with a barge pole. Some women experience dysmenohrea during this time (me included) but would not want to change things. Some would, and that is their choice. It is a free world.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by bluesky4(f): 12:15am On Jul 10, 2007
Many women suffer really badly during their period. The cramps are very painful and causes a lot of discomfort in everyday life.
Stopping ur period is very good if your going on holiday, have bad period, dont want to get kids. But i do not think it is good for the long term.
When u come off the pill (which u have been taken to stop period), the pain of ur period that u thought was a nightmare b4 is even worse, and ur period can last for aroun 3 months shocked

Saying ths i think most women take the pill and still want to have theyre period, so stop takin it suring these times.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by PTBNaija(f): 3:58am On Jul 10, 2007
I think this is dangerous, if it's not broken then don't try to fix it!

I get bad cramps during periods, and no I don't take medications for it. I might have gotten this mentality from my mom, but with a lot of these drugs, you really don't know the consequences of them. Today the government says that they are okay, and tomorrow there are all these side effects associated with the drug. I would rather deal with a few days of pain (which can easily be fixed by heat compresses) then taking pills into my body that could have damaging side effects in the future.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by spoilt(f): 4:17am On Jul 10, 2007
have you ever had a period ruin an outing? a vacation? an exam? an interview? it shows up at the wrongest time and throws your whole system out of balance. angry
my life is already difficult enough without me being bled dry. i had to plan my wedding date so that i would not be doubled over with cramps on that day. its a personal choice. if bleeding is your thing, knock yourself out. if its not, get the drugs and supress it and get about your daily business! each to her own
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by debosky(m): 4:26am On Jul 10, 2007
left to me I would tell my gf to take the pill, her periods are pretty nasty and I bore the brunt of her anger/pain at those times. maybe not to remove the period all together, but at least to make them milder or less frequent.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by PTBNaija(f): 4:52am On Jul 10, 2007
spoilt:

have you ever had a period ruin an outing? a vacation? an exam? an interview? it shows up at the wrongest time and throws your whole system out of balance. angry
my life is already difficult enough without me being bled dry. i had to plan my wedding date so that i would not be doubled over with cramps on that day. its a personal choice. if bleeding is your thing, knock yourself out. if its not, get the drugs and supress it and get about your daily business! each to her own

Ummm. . . I think I would know about awful periods. I have missed days of school because of it. . .been days where I couldn't get out of bed, or in fact couldn't even eat. Luckily for me the severity of my periods have been decreasing for the past year, but it's still painful. You want to stop your periods altogether, that's great for you. You do what makes you feel comfortable. But for me, I wouldn't consider it because I don't like this idea of constantly tampering with nature. I feel like, its natural, and yeah some women experience pain (myself being one of them) but I would rather live with that for a few days than deal with what could be a lifetime of consequences. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but if I recall Ortho-evra was recalled or something recently, or new reports came out on its side-effects (which happens with many medications that have been introduced with no long term-studies). http://ortho-evra.vanosteen.com/side-effects.asp Some of the side effects listed like cancer of the cervix, tumors, etc. are things that I would pass on anyday. I'm young, no children yet, but I would like to have them. If something could decrease my natural chance later on, then I would avoid it.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by spoilt(f): 5:22am On Jul 10, 2007
of course i fear the side effects.who wouldnt. but what drug doesnt have side effects?
i know a female doctor who hasnt had a period in almost a year! according to her , she has no time to menstruate. grin too busy saving lives and racing round wards like a psycho.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by PTBNaija(f): 3:30pm On Jul 10, 2007
spoilt:

of course i fear the side effects.who wouldnt. but what drug doesnt have side effects?
i know a female doctor who hasnt had a period in almost a year! according to her , she has no time to menstruate. grin too busy saving lives and racing round wards like a psycho.

LOL, that's funny. Hopefully that will be me in like 15-20 years?
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Mandora(f): 12:51pm On Jul 17, 2007
I dont have a problem wit trying 2 stop d pains associated with menstral periods but manipulating ur system 2 appear as though u r pregnant so dat u dont have periods is really going far dis is just another example of how our generation is trying in a fast and furios way 2 wipe out our generation
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Ralvy(m): 4:06pm On Jul 17, 2007
I strongly agree with the women who disagree with the option. For God sake, Getting messy, nuts en all that 1ce in a while wont cause u death, y compromise nature?? Pls, ladies help urslf - delay sex pressure now - It's not worth it,
Its bad, It's a sin, It's not IT,
Be wise
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by spoilt(f): 3:48am On Jul 18, 2007
Mandora:

I don't have a problem wit trying 2 stop d pains associated with menstral periods but manipulating your system 2 appear as though you're pregnant so that u don't have periods is really going far this is just another example of how our generation is trying in a fast and furios way 2 wipe out our generation

what? shocked
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Obirin0521: 5:28am On Jul 18, 2007
Friends/Nigerians/Country people:  I have a tale to tell.

The lower SouthWest West African female slave was highly valued due to her propensity for multiple and frequent births. (Ile de Goree, Senegal, La categorization des Esclaves).   The proverbial 'Fertile Myrtle'  Reason?  She was genetically disposed to elevated estrogen levels.  The same genetic element that makes her descendants prone to myomas and other related hormonal diseases.  

My cousin was in college when her guardian (a doctor), wanted to put her on the pill due to painful periods, she declined because to her mind and in the Naija society, only 'bad' girls went on the pill.  She also declined to go for yearly OB exams, after all she was not sleeping around and had no intention of doing so before marriage because of her faith.

Fast forward 11 years, she is about to turn 28, and is convinced by our other cousin, an OB, to do a physical exam.  She submits to it after much coaxing.  Result? She has multiple myomas(fibroids)/endometriosis/possible ovarian cancer.  She undergoes surgery to remove the myomas and loses one of her ovaries. The surgeon tells her the ovary has been dead for about 10 years but could have been saved if she had been on the pill.  The culture of extreme morality devoid of education has claimed another victim..  In an aggressive move to preserve her fertility, she is placed on Lupron for over 4 years on and off.  She is now currently on the pill to control her hormone level consequently preserving her fecundity.  

People:  When we see our young girls/sisters/cousins/ etc,  writhing on the floor each month, it's time to take action.  Let's remove the stigma attached to the pill or other forms of hormonal stabilization, it is the only known means right now to control Endo/myomas/cysts and other hormonal related issues for the West African females.  

We've all heard the stories:'Dupe' who slept with every Ikechukwu, Musa & Debo on campus, sometimes at the same time, yet once she got married had no problem conceiving.  Then you hear of 'Biola' the SU sister who kept herself but can't seem to get pregnant or hold a pregnancy after years of marriage.  Here is the scientific truth - 'Dupe' unwittingly preserved her fertility while 'Biola' slowly but certainly, over years of internal adhesion formations, lost hers.  While it may feel abnormal at first not to bleed each month, it will feel even worse not to be able to have kids when one is ready.
BTW - This is taking more from me than I imagined possible: It's of me, not my 'cousin' ,of whom I wrote above.  It's time to stop hiding and let others who may have walked in my shoes know it's alright.  We did nothing wrong. 

PS: If you are a young person reading this and experience two or more of the following on a monthly basis, please reach out to your parents.  If you wish, you can send me their number (I'm in the States) and I will gladly make that phone call for you to facilitate the conversation. 
       -Chronic pain in the pelvic and/or abdominal regions (Endo & Myoma)
       -Heavy and/or prolonged bleeding (Endo & Myoma)
       -Increased urinary frequency and/or urgency
       -Sharp pain after urination ('Specially when you've held it a long time)
       -Constipation
       -Abdominal distension or swelling
       -Lower back pain
       -Painful bowel movements ('Specially during menstruation)
       -Diarrhea or constipation ('Specially during your menstrual cycle)
       -Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) (Hopefully you aren't sexually active, but this is placed here for the 'grown folks')

Spoilt:  I feel you.  Hence my wavering, but resolute, response to this post.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:43am On Jul 18, 2007
@topic
don't buy the idea one bit. no matter how these f**king scientists lie, it always have a side effect.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Obirin0521: 3:34pm On Jul 18, 2007
Thoniaslim:
don't buy the idea one bit. no matter how these f**king scientists lie, it always have a side effect.

Every drug, anagelsic inclusive, is controlled poison.  There are side effects, such as the possibility of breast tumors,(both benign and malignant), but these risks are de minimis, when you know that with proper monthly breast exams you can detect any changes and go in for early intervention.  The same cannot be said of uterine tumors(which the pills/shots etc prevent), which are asymptomatic and by the time you experience most symptoms, your proverbial 'house' had better be in order.

I'm not advocating blind compliance but I'm asking that we reach over to the other side and obtain as much information as necessary to make informed decisions rather than basing our actions on emotional societal norms.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 18, 2007
Obirin0521:

Friends/Nigerians/Country people: I have a tale to tell.

The lower SouthWest West African female slave was highly valued due to her propensity for multiple and frequent births. (Ile de Goree, Senegal, La categorization des Esclaves). The proverbial 'Fertile Myrtle' Reason? She was genetically disposed to elevated estrogen levels. The same genetic element that makes her descendants prone to myomas and other related hormonal diseases.

My cousin was in college when her guardian (a doctor), wanted to put her on the pill due to painful periods, she declined because to her mind and in the Naija society, only 'bad' girls went on the pill. She also declined to go for yearly OB exams, after all she was not sleeping around and had no intention of doing so before marriage because of her faith.

Fast forward 11 years, she is about to turn 28, and is convinced by our other cousin, an OB, to do a physical exam. She submits to it after much coaxing. Result? She has multiple myomas/endometriosis/possible ovarian cancer. She undergoes surgery to remove the myomas and loses one of her ovaries. The surgeon tells her the ovary has been dead for about 10 years but could have been saved if she had been on the pill. In an aggressive move to preserve her fertility, she is placed on Lupron for over 4 years on and off. She is now currently on the pill to control her hormone level.
The culture of extreme morality devoid of education has claimed another victim.

People: When we see our young girls/sisters/cousins/ etc, writhing on the floor each month, it's time to take action. Let's remove the stigma attached to the pill or other forms of hormonal stabilization, it is the only known means right now to control Endo/myomas/cysts and other hormonal related issues for the West African females.

We've all heard the stories:'Dupe' who slept with every Ikechukwu, Musa & Debo on campus, sometimes at the same time, yet once she got married had no problem conceiving. Then you hear of 'Biola' the SU sister who kept herself but can't seem to get pregnant or hold a pregnancy after years of marriage. Here is the scientific truth - 'Dupe' unwittingly preserved her fertility while 'Biola' slowly but certainly, over years of internal adhesion formations, lost hers. While it may feel abnormal at first not to bleed each month, it will feel even worse not to be able to have kids when one is ready.
BTW - This is taking more from me than I imagined possible: It's of me, not my 'cousin' ,of whom I wrote above. It's time to stop hiding and let others who may have walked in my shoes know it's alright. We did nothing wrong.

PS: If you are a young person reading this and experience two or more of the following on a monthly basis, please reach out to your parents. If you wish, you can send me their number (I'm in the States) and I will gladly make that phone call for you to facilitate the conversation.
-Chronic pain in the pelvic and/or abdominal regions (Endo & Myoma)
-Heavy and/or prolonged bleeding (Endo & Myoma)
-Increased urinary frequency and/or urgency
-Sharp pain after urination ('Specially when you've held it a long time)
-Constipation
-Abdominal distension or swelling
-Lower back pain
-Painful bowel movements ('Specially during menstruation)
-Diarrhea or constipation ('Specially during your menstrual cycle)
-Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia) (Hopefully you aren't sexually active, but this is placed here for the 'grown folks')

Spoilt: I feel you. Hence my wavering, but resolute, response to this post.

you're joking right? thats why you gained wait

now you have got me afraid

My MP's are really bad they've reduced in intensity i think but it could be that i've adjusted really
i get diarrhoea and all manner of stomacj upsets during this too
sides from that i get cramps in my knees before ovulation and really bad during periods

I have been to a gynaecologists she suggested going off oruvail(which worked reeally well then) and i also took a test/scan . the kind pregnant women take but they didn't find anything unusual

Hormonal imbalance? what are its symptoms?

Maybe i should have a second opinion undecided
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Obirin0521: 11:43pm On Jul 18, 2007
Salsera

Slow down Sis.   Your e-add is hidden otherwise I would have sent you my phone #.  Send me an email with yours and I'll call you.

It is well. kiss
There shall nothing cast their young, nor be barren, in thy land: the number of thy days I will fulfil. EX 23:26
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by spoilt(f): 2:51am On Jul 19, 2007
Obirin0521:

People: When we see our young girls/sisters/cousins/ etc, writhing on the floor each month, it's time to take action. Let's remove the stigma attached to the pill or other forms of hormonal stabilization, it is the only known means right now to control Endo/myomas/cysts and other hormonal related issues for the West African females.

@ obirin
thanks for sharing. cry cry cry God dey

thanks for throwing more light on this whole thing. african women have been told to bear pain. come what may. even at the risk of our lives. isnt that what women are good at? isnt that what gives you good name ? arent you thought to be strong and able to peservere?

i remember my mother telling me that a woman's life is all about pain. i remember i was very small then and even at that age i knew it didnt sound right. extreme pain means something is horribly wrong and as such drastic situations require drastic measures. we have been thought to expect pain and to bear it without complaining. it has had a negative effect because even when our bodies are giving us serious warning signs and symptoms we still think its normal!!! we think its the pains our mothers told us to expect. i do not believe in self torture of any sort. i honestly dont. people are so entrenched in these cultural ideals of going 'natural' in everything. its unfair. atimes the price you end up paying is higher than the side effects you were trying to avoid. cry

when a doctor recommends a certain drug you have to trust that he/she would never intentionally put your life in danger. besides those measures are very temporary. my friend was put on birth control at 12. her periods were horrible. she was admitted 12 times a year. it was that bad. the doctor put her on birth control for some time. after she got off them her periods were much more bearable. they didnt tell her it was birth control of course. just that it was something to stabilize her hormones. as she got older she got more info as to what they were and how they helped her.

in the same vein, i remember when i had my baby. i had mentioned to a family member that i intended to get an epidural. her reaction shocked me. it was as though i had just suggested stealing the crown jewels of the royal family! she told me it was unafrican. unafrican? unafrican? is it that african women are sticklers for self torture abi wetin?
all this because i didnt think that i had to bear any more pain than was necessary in having my child. i terminated the discussion but i knew what i was going to do on that day.
of course i went ahead and took the epidural. the pain was unbearable and i honestly couldnt take it anymore. i was begging for the epidural to put me out of my misery. after i got the epidural it was smooth sailing from there.

i have low threshold for pain. i also would never ask anyone to self medicate. seek a professional. even a second third opinion is great. just dont play super hero all the time.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by benit(f): 10:19am On Jul 19, 2007
obirin/spoilt,
Thanks so much for this lecture. I have learnt from you.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Nobody: 4:31am On Jul 20, 2007
na wa o. sorry to my sisters on this thread . . . say after me - the best thing in life is to be born as a man! cool
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by omogenaija(f): 4:35am On Jul 20, 2007
davidylan:

na wa o. sorry to my sisters on this thread . . . say after me - the best thing in life is to be born as a man! cool

do i say it b4 or after i punch ur mouth angry cool
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Nobody: 4:40am On Jul 20, 2007
omogenaija:

do i say it before or after i punch your mouth angry cool

whichever way you want it ma'am. grin
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by spoilt(f): 4:56am On Jul 20, 2007
davidylan:

sometimes im tempted to agree! grin
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Nobody: 5:11am On Jul 20, 2007
spoilt:

sometimes im tempted to agree! grin

you just couldnt help acknowledging the truth.  wink
Imagine a life without periods, menstrual cramps, 9 month pregnancies, pills, messy tampons, heat flushes, sore breasts, menopause e.t.c.

Welcome to the world of the sons of Adam. At least we can pat you on the back and say pele. grin
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by spoilt(f): 5:15am On Jul 20, 2007
ive told my husband several times that im coming back as a dude. ive suffered enough grin
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Nobody: 5:22am On Jul 20, 2007
spoilt:

ive told my husband several times that im coming back as a dude. ive suffered enough grin

Suffer ke? grin My dear you better thank God you can at least have babies, some are busy crying blood just to go through 9 months of physiological rollercoaster.
Thank God Adam did not eat the apple before Eve. 5 mins our job done finish, your own na to produce results after 9 months. If you no produce na im be say your bishoprick let another take o.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by spoilt(f): 5:29am On Jul 20, 2007
im eternally grateful i was privileged to experience childbirth. nothing makes you appreciate life like when you have brought forth.  i only tell him that when i'm pissed off at him.  angry
then he has to beg me to make me promise to back as his woman again.  grin
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Nobody: 5:35am On Jul 20, 2007
Anyway you only come back to life once and after that no more. Be grateful for coming as a woman at least you make our worlds rock even though you will never hear us admit it.
Its just that we are grateful not to have to undergo periods when we have to lie on our backs for extended periods, endure swollen ankles and see an obgyn every month. You people dey try sha, anyway we end up paying the price with your almost genetic predilection for nagging.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Seun(m): 1:21pm On Jul 23, 2007
David, nagging is not an unavoidable part of marriage. It depends on the girl and your willingness to tolerate it.

The beautiful thing about medical advances such as this is that they make people happier, and that's good.
Re: Menstruation Is Fast Becoming Optional [ladies] by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jul 24, 2007
@obirin

Ur email addy is also hidden, besides i'm in nigeria

i'll drop my addy later i'm half asleep now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Wipeout Staphylococcus From Your Body Completely In Just 4 Months / Constant Headache / Court Orders Residents Doctors To Suspend Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.