Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports (14122 Views)

PHOTO: Another Man To Trek From Maiduguri To Abuja In Honor Of Buhari / Seized Weapons From Maiduguri. Pictures!!! / More States Evacuate Indigenes From Maiduguri •as Mend Threatens To Resume (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by aminho(m): 9:37am On Jul 04, 2013
MAIDUGURI IS BACK
As one approach the ancient city of Maiduguri through Damaturu Jos road, especially if one has not visited the city after the declaration of the state of emergency, one will notice that surely peace is gradually, but steadily returning to the home of peace.

Though I arrive the city in the evening, but I noticed that people are not rushing home like the previous time I visited the city. That is to show that things are now calm in the city. After seeing my mother and some few relatives, having been sure that she is very much ok, I decided to go round the city the next morning to see things for my self.

Right from the gate of Borno state hotel where I lodge because of its maximum security, I begin to notice the activities of the new national heroes as they were called by President Jonathan, but are popularly known as the "civilian JTF", some people call them sector 00. This youths have completely taken over the patrol of the streets in the city with the exception of Baga road area.

There are few check points that are now under the control of the JTF, because most of the check points are now under the full control of the Civilian JTF. As I reach post office area, I came in contact with one of the groups carrying a halve dead person and they handed over the person to the soldiers who are stationed at the Nitel office.

I ask one of the members of the Civilian JTF who confirm to me that this person they brought is one of the
commanders of Boko haram, and they traced him to his hideout and apprehend him. Though I wanted to ask him some few questions, but he told me that they are in a hurry, he said they are still chasing one of
the commanders of the Boko haram.

I then went to the popular monday market, and to my greatest surprise the market is almost full to capacity with a lot of business transaction going as if nothing had ever happen in the city. I was so delighted, I also noticed that most of the Igbo traders that I use to know are still there conducting their businesses. I had a chat with one Okechukwu, I ask him when did he return to Maiduguri, and he told me that he never even left the city despite the security challenge, he told me that, though some of them had left the city, but majority of them did not leave, and even those that had left, are now returning back. He told me that now they use to be outside up to 12 midnight, because peace has return to many parts of the city. He confirm to me that the soldiers don't even patrol the street in his area, he said it is the civilian JTF that now patrol the street, and that they the civilian JTF knows the Boko haram members, so it makes it easy for them to trace and arrest them. He told me that they have arrested so many people within the market, and when they went to search the houses of such people, they normally found guns and other dangerous weapons. He told me that the boys are doing a good job and that they hope that govt will reward them for these selfless service to the nation.

My grandfathers house and one of my uncle's house is in Baga road, so I decided to take the risk and go and greet them, on my way I notice that from west end round about, up to Ibrahim Taiwo Estate or Federal low cost, I did not see a single military check point. Unlike during my previous visits where I saw about three to four check point, this time not even a single one. I begin to feel uneasy as I reach the baga road bus stop, but I sow people going towards the direction of the house so I decided to follow them, but I noticed that only old men, women and children that am seeing.

When I arrived the house, my Anty's children welcome me, but they are very surprise to see me there, I ask the small boy the where about of his senior brother, he told me "uncle this place is not safe", and that his senior brothers had left the area for their safety. When I later met my uncle in his office at the Musa Usman secretariat, he was not happy that I went there, he said all the responsible youths have left the area for their safety and that any youth I found in the area is a boko haram member. He said I was lucky to have went there and came out alive. He said the BH boys don't want to see any new face in the area. But thank God I came out alive, a risk which I will never take again. I don't know why the military have neglected that area, though it may be a strategy that the military wants to use to trap these BH boys in one area.

I also visited Gwange, Polo, Gomari Airport and Tashan Bama area. All I saw in these areas are people full of happiness. I was told that in some places like Old Maiduguri, custom, Housari and many other places, any time the JTF enter those areas, the people hail them and chanting the slogan Soja oyoyo! Soja oyoyo as a sign of peaceful relationship that now exist between the JTF and the people.

Later that evening, I met a soldier and a police officer at an indomie joint. We begin to chat, and the soldier told me that they now have less work as the civilian JTf are doing extremely well. He said before the youth started this work, they always go around in group for fear of attack, but he said now soldier can go anywhere without any fear.

He said even their commanders are very happy with performance of the civilian JTF. But he express his dismay with the activities of some police men. He told me that his commander nearly slap one inspector of police when the said police officer open fire on the Civilian JTF as they were trying to burn down the house of the former Gov Ali Modu Sheriff. He said the civilian JTF had accuse SAS of having hand in the insurgency in the state, hence they decided to burn down his house because they have complain to the govt that they have evidence that SAS had hand in all that has happen in the state, but the govt had fail to take action.

He also told me that the civilian JTF had Beaten up the state chairman of the ANPP, and that it was the police that rescued the man, though they succeeded in burning down the man's house. He told me that Mala Uthman is now in their custody. He said he see no reason why the people will complain and indict certain people of having hand in the insecurity and the govt will not take the necessary action to investigate them.

He said the have a duty to listen to this boys, let the govt arrest this people and investig
ate them, to avoid any problem. My advice here is that the state govt, should immediately structure and regulate the activities of the civilian JTF, because what I observe is that some of the youths are below 15 years, some are even drug addicts, that has no future. But now that they are helping to restore back peace, their welfare should be taken care of by the govt. So that they will be more useful to themselves and the society.

They have done extremely well, and there is the need for the govt and well meaning members of the society to reciprocate this gesture.

Finally, as I left the City, I left with a smile that surely in no distant time, Borno will bounce back

Muhammad Musa Amshi (Aminho) a Nairalander in Maiduguri photo 1 and 2 borno govnor kashim shettima Pic 3 fmr govnor Ali modu sheriff SAS pic 4 fmr govnor muhammad goni and aminho during the visit

56 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by aminho(m): 9:55am On Jul 04, 2013

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by tomakint: 10:13am On Jul 04, 2013
Good Job Aminho! wink

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 04, 2013
Nairalander in Maiduguri,

Are you aware you've just compromised the personal safety of these soldiers by posting their photographs on NL?
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by tomakint: 10:15am On Jul 04, 2013
eGuerrilla: Nairalander in Maiduguri,

Are you aware you've just compromised the personal safety of these soldiers by posting their photographs on NL?
Come to think of it, I was about saying just that! Aminho, why not block the faces of those soldiers, just my candid advice!
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 04, 2013
Aminho nice one. Boko haram is almost history. Thumbs up to da gallant men on khaki. Aminho u black pass me ni. Tura tins fit help lols
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by rooftech: 11:17am On Jul 04, 2013
moderator take out the army boys face

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by obowunmi(m): 11:50am On Jul 04, 2013
This is great.
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Lilimax(f): 12:03pm On Jul 04, 2013
Good work! but the faces of those soldiers should be pixelated for security reasons. My opinin though

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by samilo88(m): 12:13pm On Jul 04, 2013
Still waiting for d ACN e-machines to come and claim that these pics doesn't prove anything..

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Biodup: 12:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
These soldiers boys are not smiling at all. It takes an insider to do what you have done.
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Itoroetti(m): 12:59pm On Jul 04, 2013
Nice one aminho,but pls blunt the faces of those guys.thanks.nigeria will be better.God is really using GEJ to perfect his will.
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by IAMBREEZY: 2:22pm On Jul 04, 2013
Good work
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by bellaberry: 2:31pm On Jul 04, 2013
Good job. You're minded! big ups!
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 04, 2013
Good to know. Hope the northerners have learned from their mistakes and have stopped harboring foreigners just because they share the same religiion &/or language.

To every Nigerian out there: your countrymen are your real brothers.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by amAZEing: 2:35pm On Jul 04, 2013
nice one there. The soldiers had always wanted to get the job done like this but GEJ and democracy was not helping matters.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by ninja4life(m): 2:35pm On Jul 04, 2013
Kudos to d federal government,gallant jtf and d brave civilian jtf for making boko haram menace to be brought under control.
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Cmoyor: 2:35pm On Jul 04, 2013
Good work.... I praise ur courage sha....
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Boyoorisha: 2:35pm On Jul 04, 2013
Aminho, is a core PDP man! He has connections with top government officials.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by edoyad(m): 2:36pm On Jul 04, 2013
Aminho, did you catch any boko haram member ?
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by 3ace(m): 2:37pm On Jul 04, 2013
Honestly, if not for the fact that some greedy, irresponsible politicians will take advantage of it, state police might be one reliable measure to tackle insecurity in the country. As confirmed by the OP's report, there's no denying the fact that employing disciplined individuals who know the terrain and people of where they live will solve our security challenges to an extent. State police will surely encourage this type of recruitment. Nice Job OP- I like the way you composed your report. Very self-explanatory. Like your choice of words but you need to pay more attention on the use of past tense. Once again, great job.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Ebenezerk2: 2:38pm On Jul 04, 2013
NICE JOB FROM CIVILIAN JTF, THEY SHOULD BE COMPENSATED OR EVEN RECRUIT THEM INTO ARMY, NAVY AND AIR FORCE
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by kenkruse: 2:38pm On Jul 04, 2013
WOW! Excellent piece from "a mallam" It shall be well with Nigeria
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by abu0710102013: 2:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
no b small risk u take. good job my friend
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Meringe(m): 2:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
If you are happy hit 'LIKE'

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by 5much(m): 2:40pm On Jul 04, 2013
Thumps up to d Khaki boys
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Frendys(m): 2:40pm On Jul 04, 2013
Good news from the North and Maiduguri in particular. Thanks Aminho for your feedback.

Am happy normalty is returning to your home town

We cannot allow the activity of a few misguided ones to derail this entity called Nigeria.

Thank God for our Armed Forces esp the soldiers and the sacrifices they are making.

I believe there's a great future for this country. My country and your country!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by edoyad(m): 2:41pm On Jul 04, 2013
. . . . . . .He said even their commanders are very happy with performance of the civilian JTF. But he express his dismay with the activities of some police men. He told me that his commander nearly slap one inspector of police when the said police officer open fire on the Civilian JTF as they were trying to burn down the house of the former Gov Ali Modu Sheriff. He said the civilian JTF had accuse SAS of having hand in the insurgency in the state, hence they decided to burn down his house because they have complain to the govt that they have evidence that SAS had hand in all that has happen in the state, but the govt had fail to take action.. . . . .

NIGERIA POLICE, WHILE THE MILITARY AND SS ARE RIDING TO GLORY IN FACE OF TURMOIL, YOU LOT CONTINUE TO SMEAR YOUR ALREADY WORTHLESS IMAGE BECAUSE OF PEANUTS. PITIFUL
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by devour129: 2:43pm On Jul 04, 2013
Boyoorisha: Aminho, is a core PDP man! He has connections with top government officials.
and how do you know that ?
Re: A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports by Youngzedd(m): 2:44pm On Jul 04, 2013
Bros you try, but no vex oooo
Na only u finish the food and beer wey dey that city because What am seeing is ..........

Secondly, na u dey patrol under the sun alone, how come those soldiers are ...........

Mean no harm just asking.

grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EFCC Denies Obiano Bail, May Get Court Order To Hold Him / We'll Deduct ₦242.53 Billion Fuel Subsidy From FAAC This Month - NNPC / Thousands Of Nigerian Muslims Hold Pro-Morsi Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.