Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,976 members, 7,810,708 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

The God Of The Old Testament - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The God Of The Old Testament (1940 Views)

Freshest Proof That Jesus Is The God Of The Old Testament!!!! / Is The God Of Israel God Of ALL? / Is "God" Of The Old Testament Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The God Of The Old Testament by huxley(m): 10:08pm On May 16, 2008
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it: a petty unjust unforgiving control-freak: a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser: a misogynistic homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror.

Source: The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins, page 31.

What do you think?
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 16, 2008
huxley:

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it: a petty unjust unforgiving control-freak: a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser: a misogynistic homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror.

What do you think?

I think that you cannot tell God what to do, or how to live His Life.
You shout so much about freedom, but you strongly desire to cage God and tell Him what to do.
I think that this is double standard on your part.
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by Cayon(f): 2:06pm On May 17, 2008
I think your analogy is beyond silly lipsrsealed
huxley:

What do you think?
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by huxley(m): 2:54pm On May 17, 2008
Cayon:

I think your analogy is beyond silly lipsrsealed

Can you provide some evidence for why you think this is silly? BTW, this is not an anlogy; it is a description of the OT god.

Check out Numbers 31 for genocide and ethnic cleansing. Would you like more chapter&verse to indicate what I mean?
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by 4Him1(m): 2:55pm On May 17, 2008
huxley:

Can you provide some evidence for why you think this is silly? BTW, this is not an anlogy; it is a description of the OT god.

Check out Numbers 31 for genocide and ethnic cleansing. Would you like more chapter&verse to indicate what I mean?

Why shld the OT God live according to your own values?
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by huxley(m): 4:03pm On May 17, 2008
4 Him:

Why shld the OT God live according to your own values?

Interesting! Where would you rather live? In a world governed by the OT god's standards described above (genocide, racism, infanticide etc) OR in a world "according to your own values"?
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by iku: 7:29pm On May 18, 2008
The only sure thing na DEATH.

Is God of old whatever different from new whatever.

End of Discussion.

Iku lo sure!
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 18, 2008

What do you think?

What do i think?I think u're misinformed and have not found the right use for the liberties u currently have.

If u want to know what I think about who He really is, Go to Jer 31v3.
He awaits u!
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by Frizy(m): 7:52pm On May 18, 2008
huxley:

What do you think?

@poster
Your opinion will by no way remove you from the fire! For surely, you have incured wrath upon wrath.

1. For denying God
2. For citing examples that insinuate God is unjust- How wicked of you. angry
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by huxley(m): 9:22pm On May 18, 2008
Frizy:

@poster
Your opinion will by no way remove you from the fire! For surely, you have incured wrath upon wrath.

1. For denying God
2. For citing examples that insinuate God is unjust- How wicked of you. angry

Are you saying that you are in approval of the acts carried out under the command of god in Numbers 31?
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by Frizy(m): 9:25am On May 19, 2008
huxley:

Are you saying that you are in approval of the acts carried out under the command of god in Numbers 31?

I have no reason to question God's act. As far as am concerned God avenges and says His vengance is awful. So He says: O mankind! Fear Me and transgress not My commandments.
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by huxley2(m): 1:05pm On Jun 04, 2009
See the character of god?
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by noetic2: 1:39pm On Jun 04, 2009
huxley:

Interesting! Where would you rather live? In a world governed by the OT god's standards described above (genocide, racism, infanticide etc) OR in a world "according to your own values"?

What are ur own values?

Whats the source of ur values?
Re: The God Of The Old Testament by Bastage: 6:18pm On Jun 04, 2009
Frizy:

As far as am concerned God avenges and says His vengance is awful. So He says: O mankind! Fear Me and transgress not My commandments.

And what other proof do you need that the God of the OT is not a nice guy?
"Fear me and do as I say or I will kick your ass"?

That doesn't really sound like the kind of guy I would want to follow.
It sounds more like the words of a bully.

(1) (Reply)

Practical Christianity? / Man Finds 'jesus' In His Laundry (PHOTO) / Christians..... .your God Is An Idol Of The Hills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.