Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,490 members, 7,958,495 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:47 PM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (457530 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by olaadesie(m): 12:33pm On Nov 03, 2019
anyone in cologne should please share experience .... biko!

olaadesie:
Great job! thanks to all the gurus for making time to drop info here ....... had my first degree in mass communication admitted to study digital management MA at hochschule frenesius. i need answer and clarification on this questions

1. how many years work/resident permit do u get as a student in cologne?

2.what are the prospect of getting a job as a student?

3.life in cologne generally as a student?.... i will appreciate help with the break down of social norms, health issue, accommodation, jobs and tax, registration with the alien office. ??

God bless us all.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Darey00(m): 3:02pm On Nov 03, 2019
tosinhtml:
Hadampson & others

Please Is there any Nigerian currently in Fulda University or just getting there?

I would touch down school in Thursday & I need some guidance.

What course are you going for sir?
I love the course content of "Global Software Development"

but my repeated enquires to the contacts there are not yet responded to
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Angelovic96: 8:02am On Nov 04, 2019
[quote author=Hadampson post=83204437][/quote]

thanks for sharing ...
please i got addmission to study for masters in a university at Berlin Germany. .. I applied for student interview appointment with the German consulate portal since July ,. since then approximately 3 months now, I have not received any mail from them... please what could be wrong because I made sure all the information I provided was correct ... please help me with any advices on how to go about this
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by amikable97: 9:01am On Nov 04, 2019
Angelovic96:

thanks for sharing ...
please i got addmission to study for masters in a university at Berlin Germany. .. I applied for student interview appointment with the German consulate portal since July ,. since then approximately 3 months now, I have not received any mail from them... please what could be wrong because I made sure all the information I provided was correct ... please help me with any advices on how to go about this

What's category do you fall under?... You shouldn't have waited this long before reacting. You should have cancelled and rebooked.
Anyway for now AD for winter 2019 has been closed except you have an enrollment extension from your school till December or January and a letter specifying that the school will accept you and still allow you attend lectures even after resuming late.
Since it's November already I hope you have your Blocked Account ready?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Angelovic96: 10:15am On Nov 04, 2019
amikable97:

What's category do you fall under?... You shouldn't have waited this long before reacting. You should have cancelled and rebooked.
Anyway for now AD for winter 2019 has been closed except you have an enrollment extension from your school till December or January and a letter specifying that the school will accept you and still allow you attend lectures even after resuming late.
Since it's November already I hope you have your Blocked Account ready?

category A ... when I registerr but now it's B because I got my degree cert before 2017... what do u advice I do now
yes I have a block account
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Angelovic96: 10:29am On Nov 04, 2019
Angelovic96:

category A ... when I registerr but now it's B because I got my degree cert before 2017... what do u advice I do now
yes I have a block account

secondly I have deffered my addmission to next winter session. ...... should I cancel and Rebook
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by chimax1(m): 3:58am On Nov 05, 2019
Quick one guys..pls which is the most suitable health insurance policy for me. Presently in DE. Should I go for private insurance which is really expensive anyways or jejely choose mawista. Am still below 30yrs. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Cnwag: 6:41am On Nov 05, 2019
Since your below 30 you can use TK or AOK...

quote author=chimax1 post=83749383]Quick one guys..pls which is the most suitable health insurance policy for me. Presently in DE. Should I go for private insurance which is really expensive anyways or jejely choose mawista. Am still below 30yrs. Thanks [/quote]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Lawrencium1900: 4:07pm On Nov 05, 2019
Can anyone help or knows someone that can help with affordable accommodation temporarily in Monchengladbach. You can contact me via +2347069230938 so we discuss further
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by mychellin: 6:22pm On Nov 05, 2019
I have some euros to exchange for naira urgently. Interested colleague should pm. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Whitemagic: 2:02pm On Nov 06, 2019
Good afternoon family... I really need help; I'm kinda getting frustrated. I can't seem to find a school/course that won't require german language zertifikat or uni-assist for the intended course I want to apply for,.. They always require one of them, and for obvious reasons I'd want an application without uni-assist and German language cert.

The courses I have been searching for are related to construction/architecture and/or a course in management.

My first degree is in Building Tech. And I'm looking for a related course or any course in Management.

Pls if you know how I can go about schools that won't require any of uni-assist application or German language cert... Pls pls let me know. Pls. Viele dank
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by olaadesie(m): 9:50pm On Nov 06, 2019
please anyone in cologne here, i need first hand information please! my country people!!
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 2:22pm On Nov 08, 2019
Hello Everyone, I joined the thread newly and I’m about to start my process.

I know a lot of ppl have been asking this questions, but pls im about to make a decision and need honest answers pls.
Pls I’ll like to ask the gurus in the house with all Sincerity, would one find a menail student part-time job in Germany without the knowledge of German and what are the factors involved if possible.

Mind you I’m not a quick cash person, but one needs to get a job to sustain one’ self...I plan on saving the money from my BA while I work menial jobs and sustain myself over there?

Pls how possible or is to hanging on Luck? I like to be realistic and I’ll need sincere answer.

Pls. Thanks so much.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Thegamingorca(m): 2:41pm On Nov 08, 2019
Go through the entire thread since you just joined

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 4:57pm On Nov 08, 2019
Thegamingorca:
Go through the entire thread since you just joined

Yes I just joined...I have been going through the thread but haven’t gottena direct answer to this...everyone keeps mentioning different factors, but if you don’t mind and have experience pls I’ll like a straight forward and sincere answer.

Atleast jobs for upkeep over there while one can save his/her money in the BA (if it’s possible)

Pls I beg for answers ��
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Thegamingorca(m): 5:17pm On Nov 08, 2019
Victorex001:

Yes I just joined...I have been going through the thread but haven’t gottena direct answer to this...everyone keeps mentioning different factors, but if you don’t mind and have experience pls I’ll like a straight forward and sincere answer.

Atleast jobs for upkeep over there while one can save his/her money in the BA (if it’s possible)

Pls I beg for answers ��

https://www.nairaland.com/1349729/nigerian-students-germany..how-survive/43#78036943
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by naijaobi(m): 5:42pm On Nov 08, 2019
Victorex001:
Hello Everyone, I joined the thread newly and I’m about to start my process.

I know a lot of ppl have been asking this questions, but pls im about to make a decision and need honest answers pls.
Pls I’ll like to ask the gurus in the house with all Sincerity, would one find a menail student part-time job in Germany without the knowledge of German and what are the factors involved if possible.

Mind you I’m not a quick cash person, but one needs to get a job to sustain one’ self...I plan on saving the money from my BA while I work menial jobs and sustain myself over there?

Pls how possible or is to hanging on Luck? I like to be realistic and I’ll need sincere answer.

Pls. Thanks so much.
Yes you will definitely find a job. But saying you will save the money in your BA and live only on your job is not possible oga. At least not for the first year and most likely bu first year, your BA money must have finished
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Whitemagic: 8:51pm On Nov 08, 2019
mamajj17:

Ibadan Poly 2000, presently in Hamburg dear.Best regards grin
Pls do you know about the city of Heide and the western coast university of applied sciences.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Whitemagic: 8:56pm On Nov 08, 2019
Goztino:
My orientation program at RWTH Aachen University
Indians. cheesy them. Done full everywhere abroad like Nigerians
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 9:40pm On Nov 08, 2019
naijaobi:

Yes you will definitely find a job. But saying you will save the money in your BA and live only on your job is not possible oga. At least not for the first year and most likely bu first year, your BA money must have finished

Wow. But from what I read through the threads, one can get a job with a 9euro per hr minimum wage with the 20hrs a week allowed during sessions one can easy make Atleast 500-700euros monthly which could cover monthly house rent and other basic bills....then during the long holidays one can work full-time, with this one won’t have any reason to use up his/her BA money...it’s what I thought but pls can you help me clarify n give me a briefing of what one should be expecting.

Pls and I’m sorry for my anxiety just want to work on my expectations so I don’t get disappointed over there.
I have started my processing already.

Pls Sir or anyone help out. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 9:46pm On Nov 08, 2019
Thegamingorca:

https://www.nairaland.com/1349729/nigerian-students-germany..how-survive/43#78036943

Hello Sir, Thanks for feedback, like I mentioned everyone kept giving indirect answers, I prefer to be realistic not to get disappointed...that’s why I’ll like to hear from ppl over there...if one can easily get a student job over there without the knowledge of German or it’s hanging on luck and chances too?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by mamajj17(f): 9:49pm On Nov 08, 2019
Whitemagic:

Pls do you know about the city of Heide and the western coast university of applied sciences.

Nope dear, Best regards smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 10:38pm On Nov 08, 2019
Victorex001:

Hello Sir, Thanks for feedback, like I mentioned everyone kept giving indirect answers, I prefer to be realistic not to get disappointed...that’s why I’ll like to hear from ppl over there...if one can easily get a student job over there without the knowledge of German or it’s hanging on luck and chances too?

It may depend on the city you are heading to. If it's Frankfurt, a big city, then getting a job without the knowledge of German is relatively easy. But the question is, is it the job you want? cool. It might take time to get what you really want except of course you don't care and can do anything.

If it's a small city, then it will be hard without the knowledge of German. Also, small cities don't usually have student jobs. From my experience, there are jobs in small cities but those are usually full time jobs.

It depends on luck and chances and how 'strong ' you are. Combining studying and working isn't easy.

I hope that answers your question.

There's always an alternative if you use up your BA money, it's not that bad.

If you are lucky and received your visa alongside your work permit, then there's a chance you could start working shortly after arriving. If your visa doesn't come with work permit, then you have to wait longer. For how long, that I do not know!.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 10:56pm On Nov 08, 2019
janettee:

It may depend on the city you are heading to. If it's Frankfurt, a big city, then getting a job without the knowledge of German is relatively easy. But the question is, is it the job you want? cool. It might take time to get what you really want except of course you don't care and can do anything.

If it's a small city, then it will be hard without the knowledge of German. Also, small cities don't usually have student jobs. From my experience, there are jobs in small cities but those are usually full time jobs.

It depends on luck and chances and how 'strong ' you are. Combining studying and working isn't easy.

I hope that answers your question.

There's always an alternative if you use up your BA money, it's not that bad.

If you are lucky and received your visa alongside your work permit, then there's a chance you could start working shortly after arriving. If your visa doesn't come with work permit, then you have to wait longer. For how long, that I do not know!.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, so I’ll have to gets University’s in big cities then.
I really don’t mind doing any kind of job as a student...
Concerning the BA, what other alternative are you talking about?? And is it true one would need to present another BA for the next year or after masters when applying for work permit.

I’m planning on an Engineering course and hopefully I can combine studies and work with the limited hours permitted, as much studying is also important I just sold my family’s property to make up the BA, and that’s all I have, I was hoping to keep that in savings while I work over there to take care of basic bills.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 11:15pm On Nov 08, 2019
Victorex001:

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, so I’ll have to gets University’s in big cities then.
I really don’t mind doing any kind of job as a student...
Concerning the BA, what other alternative are you talking about?? And is it true one would need to present another BA for the next year or after masters when applying for work permit.

I’m planning on an Engineering course and hopefully I can combine studies and work with the limited hours permitted, as much studying is also important I just sold my family’s property to make up the BA, and that’s all I have, I was hoping to keep that in savings while I work over there to take care of basic bills.

The alternatives I know are taking semester break to work full time for the money or borrowing from people you know in order to renew your visa at least!.

But I doubt you will use up your BA money.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 11:28pm On Nov 08, 2019
janettee:

The alternatives I know are taking semester break to work full time for the money or borrowing from people you know in order to renew your visa at least!.

But I doubt you will use up your BA money.

Wow! Now this is scary...because this is my last money and don’t know anywhere else to get money, calling home and asking for money might send my Mama into coma.
My hope was getting menial jobs of any kind (As long as it’s legal) to take care of bills while my BA money is safe and used to renew my visas.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 11:44pm On Nov 08, 2019
Victorex001:

Wow! Now this is scary...because this is my last money and don’t know anywhere else to get money, calling home and asking for money might send my Mama into coma.
My hope was getting menial jobs of any kind (As long as it’s legal) to take care of bills while my BA money is safe and used to renew my visas.

Calm down. The probability that you will use up your money is very low but it's good you are already thinking of such situation.

Just apply to bigger cities, you will be fine.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 7:47am On Nov 09, 2019
janettee:

Calm down. The probability that you will use up your money is very low but it's good you are already thinking of such situation.

Okay. Thanks.

In a situation where one use’s up his/her BA money, maybe one couldn’t get a job or got his/her work permit late and can’t provide a BA for next year to renew visa what would happen?
Your studies would be revoked? ��
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 8:10am On Nov 09, 2019
janettee:

I’m someone who’s willing to hustle and accept any kind of legal job as a student. I have been reading the thread and quora got informations how a student can make up to 700-€800 monthly while studying with the minimum wage and 20hrs per week, of which one would likely be needed 500-€600 for survival (could be lower or higher), I set my mind to this and was happy, knowing I could send 50-€100 to the family ahome, while during the holiday I can work full time n make more (though I don’t know if I’ll be taxed)
I was very happy reading this started sending out my applications, but decided to ask people in the current system they’ll be in the best position to tell me reality...

Someone made mention of how a very small percentage of international students gets a good job after masters to apply for PR but that didn’t scare me becos with the BA saved and maybe topping it more throughout your masters and 1/half work years giving one can easily re-apply for another masters/PHD or easily port somewhere else with the money saved, but leaving Nigeria to Europe is a good step and the experience over there one would surely set his/her compass properly, these are all the informations I gathered reading this thread and quora.

Pls can you or anyone in the system help this poor dude tell me the realities, if all I have typed makes sense or just dreams ��, I need realities pls, no matter how blunt I’ll like to know what I’m up against before making the decision, I just sold a family property and ready to make this journey...pls I beg you or anyone one in the house. I’m on my knees.

Sis, Thank you so much for your time reply. God bless.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 8:37am On Nov 09, 2019
Victorex001:

I’m someone who’s willing to hustle and accept any kind of legal job as a student. I have been reading the thread and quora got informations how a student can make up to 700-€800 monthly while studying with the minimum wage and 20hrs per week, of which one would likely be needed 500-€600 for survival (could be lower or higher), I set my mind to this and was happy, knowing I could send 50-€100 to the family ahome, while during the holiday I can work full time n make more (though I don’t know if I’ll be taxed)
I was very happy reading this started sending out my applications, but decided to ask people in the current system they’ll be in the best position to tell me reality...

Someone made mention of how a very small percentage of international students gets a good job after masters to apply for PR but that didn’t scare me becos with the BA saved and maybe topping it more throughout your masters and 1/half work years giving one can easily re-apply for another masters/PHD or easily port somewhere else with the money saved, but leaving Nigeria to Europe is a good step and the experience over there one would surely set his/her compass properly, these are all the informations I gathered reading this thread and quora.

Pls can you or anyone in the system help this poor dude tell me the realities, if all I have typed makes sense or just dreams ��, I need realities pls, no matter how blunt I’ll like to know what I’m up against before making the decision, I just sold a family property and ready to make this journey...pls I beg you or anyone one in the house. I’m on my knees.

Sis, Thank you so much for your time reply. God bless.

All what you typed are reasonable but the reality is different!. Combining working and studying isn't easy. It requires discipline. If money starts rolling into your account, you might even decide to focus on working and abandon studies (people have done it and it worked for them).

Now to the job part. Not all jobs pay that much. So, you might not start earning 800€ the first month. Jobs that pay up to 800€ or monthly are usually stressful. I'm talking about menial job in this context. A friend who works for Amazon earn up to 1500€ after tax but you don't want to know the stress involved smiley!. But my experience with Nigerians here is that when it comes to working, they don't feel the stress as much as I do because money is their motivation. I had two jobs during the summer holidays and that shit was stressful lol and I'm not doing that again grin.

Personally, I wouldn't do such stressful job for more than 2 months. Any menial job that pays 450€ per month is better for a student to have because the stress involved isn't much and you have time to do other things.

I don't know what course you are going for so it's hard to conclude if you need a second masters or PhD. PhD is hard to get with what have seen here and it doesn't even pay that much for something that's competitive.

If you don't have passion for research, I don't see why you should do PhD in Germany. The pay isn't even encouraging.

See, if you are ready to be stressed out, you will be alright wink.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Victorex001(m): 1:02pm On Nov 09, 2019
janettee:

All what you typed are reasonable but the reality is different!. Combining working and studying isn't easy. It requires discipline. If money starts rolling into your account, you might even decide to focus on working and abandon studies (people have done it and it worked for them).

Now to the job part. Not all jobs pay that much. So, you might not start earning 800€ the first month. Jobs that pay up to 800€ or monthly are usually stressful. I'm talking about menial job in this context. A friend who works for Amazon earn up to 1500€ after tax but you don't want to know the stress involved smiley!. But my experience with Nigerians here is that when it comes to working, they don't feel the stress as much as I do because money is their motivation. I had two jobs during the summer holidays and that shit was stressful lol and I'm not doing that again grin.

Personally, I wouldn't do such stressful job for more than 2 months. Any menial job that pays 450€ per month is better for a student to have because the stress involved isn't much and you have time to do other things.

I don't know what course you are going for so it's hard to conclude if you need a second masters or PhD. PhD is hard to get with what have seen here and it doesn't even pay that much for something that's competitive.

If you don't have passion for research, I don't see why you should do PhD in Germany. The pay isn't even encouraging.

See, if you are ready to be stressed out, you will be alright wink.

Thank you so much for this informations. I plan on coming for my masters, I studied Chemical Engineering and would like do something related to engineering because I heard it’s lucrative over there in Germany. A 450€ pay as a student is still better at least with all I have been reading 400€ can be possible to sustain one for the month, that’s houserent, feeding and health insurance.

I don’t plan to abandon studies because I can see studying is one of the best ways to get PR abroad. As a student” and without the knowledge of German yet, I don’t mind doing all sorts of menail jobs as long as there’s job over there (which you mentioned I apply for big cities)

I’m 26yrs old, working legal menail Jobs is not a problem as long as it’s possible, after masters one can talk of getting better job, but to me it’s a privilege to work and earn money for bills and maybe 50€-100€ one can send back to the family....
But the BA is my hope of savings, and during holidays one can also save from working full time.

Sis, I appreciate your time, I know I’m too inquisitive and night sound inconveniencing but I really appreciate this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (118) (Reply)

USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / Travelling To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.