Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? - Travel (91) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? (441822 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany, How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 8:04pm On Dec 20, 2019
0yewale:

However, you can checkout these programs and if you need further clarification, just write the program coordinator, e nor dey hurt them, its their job. cheesy
1. https://www2.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/international-programmes/en/detail/5587/
2. https://www2.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/international-programmes/en/detail/4775/#tab_detail
3. https://www2.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/international-programmes/en/detail/5587/#tab_detail

@Oyewale. Thank you very much for all your advice here, I really thank God I saw your posts. Pls I need your advise concerning choosing a course among this four courses

1) Msc Communication System and Networks TH Koln

2) M.Eng Industrial Informatics HS Emden/Leer

3) M.Eng Technology and Innovation Management HS Harz (This one has modules in research areas computer science like introduction data bases)

4) Robotics and Autonomous Systems ...University of Lubeck (This one looks research oriented)

And concerning that first one in TH Koln, I received the admission letter recently to resume March and I intend to specialize in Communication networks, but I need clarification what's the market like for Network engineers in Germany. And it also has another specialization option of "Information Theory"
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 8:09pm On Dec 20, 2019
truthsayer009:

Hello Bro, I just have one piece of advice to give.

Since you plan on changing your course, If changing to another MSC succeeds, that would be much better instead of re-routing to a BSC path. I am speaking as regards to IT & working in IT since I am also in that field.

One year is enough to pick it up & do considerably well if serious. Be it Networking, Project Management or Software Engineering. Apart from the basics which you need to learn from a classroom setup. IT itself is self learning, emphasis on Self-learning because most of the things you would learn is already online. From websites like Coursera, Udemy, Pluralsight & Udacity.

I appreciate your good work here. Pls do you know if a specialized in communication network is marketable go DE like software engineering . I have coming for Msc in Communication Systems and networks.... TH Koln
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by akinswaggs(m): 8:14pm On Dec 20, 2019
deuzgreat:
So all that's needed to study in Germany is your proof of fund

Where did you get such information?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by 0yewale(m): 12:13am On Dec 21, 2019
SOLARPOWER1:

@Oyewale. Thank you very much for all your advice here, I really thank God I saw your posts. Pls I need your advise concerning choosing a course among this four courses

1) Msc Communication System and Networks TH Koln

2) M.Eng Industrial Informatics HS Emden/Leer

3) M.Eng Technology and Innovation Management HS Harz (This one has modules in research areas computer science like introduction data bases)

4) Robotics and Autonomous Systems ...University of Lubeck (This one looks research oriented)

And concerning that first one in TH Koln, I received the admission letter recently to resume March and I intend to specialize in Communication networks, but I need clarification what's the market like for Network engineers in Germany. And it also has another specialization option of "Information Theory"

Disclaimer: You really can't take my opinions on choosing your course of preference 100% as they are largely based on my limited personal experiences (which might be obviously biased) but because you asked wink

I should mention that Germany is one of the most developed country and biggest economy in the world not by mistake and defo not solely because of just one of the possible parts of the economy but most of it, which means you can basically and factually get job in any part of this economy, having studied whichever (relevant) course. However, the reality is that each part of this economy have different market share like in any other country: some are really static, some undergoing disruption, some are dying and some are just growing (even at different rate) while some are still undergoing transformation.
I can say most are still going through transformation, barely at the first phase, arguably aided by IT which is why I think some DE schools are coming up with these IT-brigded-MSc(mostly) programmes with different flavour depending on the focus of the state/city's economy.

Whatever programme you studied, whatever part of the economy (industry) it belongs to, I can assure you, the points aforementioned are definitely going to play a part in how well your entry will be, because as an international student:
1. If the industry is (new) big and growing fast, it means more jobs are being created daily which I think makes entry easier as regards skills, work experience and language proficiency requirements.
2. If the industry is undergoing transformation - I think might require a bit of language proficiency, coupled with proven work experience, this also means you will need proficiency (knowledge or experience) in multiple domains (at least 2) and this is why chemical engineering are learning Python (new) and same for medical doctor, basically every one is learning one type of programming language or the other nowadays. Well, this, I think is the future of WORK.
3. If the industry does not belong to the two above or not actively in 2. (yet), it basically means you will be directly competing with locals. (Fluent Language proficiency to start with.)

Competing with locals is not a big deal but "e get as e be" because:
1. They are fluent in the language by default.
2. They are "fluent" with the work culture by default.
3. They have the political advantage. (work permit and study structure) - no one is "chasing" them to finish their study in time, they can decide to pause their study because they got (find) a job/skill interesting and taking time to perfect it.
4. Most (my view) of them are actually more experienced (work) than most "FRESH" foreign student, by the time they are done with study. via - internship, working student, study-break, Ausbildung, trainings and duales studium. E.g I have a German friend who had his duales studium with VW for his BSc, left for MSc and went back almost immediately after defending his thesis and I also have another that had similar path, only that she turned hers to full time immediately she started working on her master thesis.

Additional, the regulation that you can only work in industry where you study (or related), I think was waived couple of years back but I am not sure that has trickled down to every HR people up and down Germany. So the city where you are studying or seeking job also becomes a factor.

What I think makes Software Engineering and her other closely knitted sisters and brothers a bit different is that:
1. You can basically learn and practice the large part on your own, from the corner of your room with a good laptop, internet and enough genuine DRIVE.
2. You can really build your skills on your own by conceptualizing and/or contributing to good projects.
3. Studying related degrees(s) can also help you with 1. and 2. in a very structured way.
4. If any employer is doubting your 1. and 2, that is where your 3 comes in to help (this is really the main advantage nowadays)

Anytime I am belle-ful and standing in front of the mirror, I do tell myself that I-live-on-the-edge but on my own terms... which means I believe there will always be exception for exceptional before as regards almost anything ...

It is general knowledge that DE needs more workers but the reality is:
1. Not in every sector.
2. They want arguably the best of the best if possible(meaning the most qualified)
3. They won't settle for less, unless or until they have mapped a way to make anyone they pick to be 2.
4. It is really and more transferable to almost all other sector ...even if DE no do normal... na porting you dey so.

fun fact: DE unemployment rate is neither zero nor negative and it even varies depending on states.

Going back to your questions and going through the courses you listed, I will assume you are from EE background, which means you have communication/networking background (great background I must say). If you intend to do more in that aspect, going by the courses (listed) modules, I will advise you to go for any of programme 1, 2, or 4 but if you want to lean more towards Software Engineering, then I will advise the third programme (in Harz.) because of the content and the Prof. coordinating the programme actually taught me during my programme, so I can safely assume I know what they structured the programme to achieve (I know this is obviously bias and projection from me).

I am unfortunately not a Network Engineer, don't have any friend who presently work as one (here), so I won't be able to say anything on that. However, to gauge the market size and the possible entry structure:
a. Run a search through every job websites/portals in Germany with the job title "Network Engineer" and other related titles both in English and Deutsch.
b. Look at their requirements and what you have now or will (can) have during or after your study.
3. Do the "maths" and compare with another industry of your choice.
4. DO this for all the job levels (listed below) and evaluate the metrics you get (based on city and states too).

The job phases or kinds that I know are applicable to foreign students like me:
1. Tutoring
2. Internship
3. Working Student
4. Research Assistant/Associate
5. Part-time contract Employment
6. Permanent Contract Employment.

I think your experience with 1,2,3,4, if you attempt any of them during your study should tell you what awaits you (can't say if it is generally easier or tougher) after your study.

Apologies if my views appears pessimistic (some of us did not happened to study in the luxurious and arguable more open cities/states) but we "punch" through successfully I guess.
Hopefully, people with more optimistic and better experience will add their opinions.

Merry Christmas to you all ...

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 9:34am On Dec 21, 2019
0yewale:

Disclaimer: You really can't take my opinions on choosing your course of preference 100% as they are largely based on my limited personal

Merry Christmas to you all ...

Thanks a lot for this explanation. I appreciate it
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by 4realisreal(m): 5:04pm On Dec 21, 2019
Good day all, I recently got an admission at Tu Dortmund for MSc Data Sc. But am yet to get an appointment date. Pls I would like to know the pros and cons of studying in this city, and is there any Dortmund student here? Pls I would like to familiarize myself. I would also like to join the student group if any.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 21, 2019
Hi, I sent you a mail. Kindly reply, I want to discuss about internship opportunities with you. I currently study in one of the European countries and would be doing my internship next year, I wouldn't mind your input, please.
0yewale:

I suggested counting out EE because even though very related, from friends that are studying it here:
1. The program is not under computer science or informatics faculty.
2. The few that I know are more of the hardware part of IT than the software part.
3. Most don't offer more than a module for core IT courses and they might even be the elective module.

If you will agree with me, it is the software part (Software/Information Engineering, Data Science/Analytics/Engineering, Design etc. ) of IT that is HOT all over the world.

If you are wondering about what this means, the three points I mentioned determines the type of faculty members(Professors) the program will have (access to), which determines the type of research(group) they have, which determines the type of companies they are collaborating with and thereby determines what they will teach you as well as how they will teach. Can also determines the type of jobs you will be exposed to and might get during and after your study.
e.g a senior lecturer (not even a Prof.) taking a Big Data course, after a class said he is looking for interns for a project (which his company his working on), many people applied and he took-in not less than 10 and the number reduces along the line and I know not less than 2 that continue to work with him in full time capacity after graduation. So, you also have to play the game of possible availability of opportunity and that was why I also mentioned applied science schools earlier.

For a foreign student, ways to gather work experience while studying that I know about are: Internships, Research Assistants (or Tutoring), Research Placements, Working Student and short-term professional work. Each with different requirements (skill and expertise).

You do not really need to be in the big cities, just that the proximity might helps in nailing down the aforementioned experiences, especially if your German language is not yet smooth. The good thing (from my experience), no employer discriminates against schools so far you have what it takes to do whatever they need you for.

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by umerah1996: 8:16am On Dec 22, 2019
Please guys, how does one convert their Nigerian credit to ECTS. I understand that 30 ects = 1 semester and so on, but I'm just too confused as I read 1 credit unit = 1.5 ects.

Please can anyone who has gone through converting please explain. I think it will be beneficial since there are a lot of different opinions and I'm not getting the best result out of Google.

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 7:36pm On Dec 22, 2019
4realisreal:

No, I don't mind

Pls how much and how long (DURATION)does it take to learn driving in DE if I don't have a driver's licence from Africa
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Thegamingorca(m): 7:37pm On Dec 22, 2019
SOLARPOWER1:

Pls how long does it take to learn driving in DE if I don't have a driver's licence from Africa

Lol
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by 4realisreal(m): 10:57pm On Dec 22, 2019
SOLARPOWER1:

Pls how much and how long (DURATION)does it take to learn driving in DE if I don't have a driver's licence from Africa

Not yet in DE. Hopefully wen I get there this summer I will tell u.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by ndiana606: 11:33pm On Dec 22, 2019
Please can a master's student invite his family
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by MrsInvisible(f): 8:14am On Dec 23, 2019
SOLARPOWER1:

Depends on your skills. Anything from 6 months is possible if you fulfill the requirements like eyetest and first aid course quickly. Next is theory lessons I think like 12, then theory test followed by practical lessons plus test. Driving licence is expensive so better convert your licence here in Germany. Makes it much cheaper

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by umerah1996: 9:20am On Dec 23, 2019
Please guys, I'm still in need of help with the ects thing. I'm reading up that 1.5 ects = 1 Nigerian credit. Does that mean the 3 Nigerian credit = 4.5 ects.

Thanks, I'll be awaiting anyone's answers
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 6:18pm On Dec 23, 2019
Pls I have a general question for IT guys in DE. I have started learning programming (started with PYTHON) in Nigeria before arriving DE. But I noticed that programming is too wild and there are so many areas to delve into and I have to choose one area so that I won't just be learning without a goal and focus. My question now is between Data analytics /Data base management and normal software engineering like web development and its likes which is a best option with respect to GETTING A JOB and breaking into the IT sector in DE. I really need help on this, I don't want to say I am confuse but I am in a dilemma at the moment.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 6:18pm On Dec 23, 2019
MrsInvisible:

Depends on your skills. Anything from 6 months is possible if you fulfill the requirements like eyetest and first aid course quickly. Next is theory lessons I think like 12, then theory test followed by practical lessons plus test. Driving licence is expensive so better convert your licence here in Germany. Makes it much cheaper

Thanks alot

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 6:19pm On Dec 23, 2019
umerah1996:
Please guys, I'm still in need of help with the ects thing. I'm reading up that 1.5 ects = 1 Nigerian credit. Does that mean the 3 Nigerian credit = 4.5 ects.

Thanks, I'll be awaiting anyone's answers

You are on track
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 6:26pm On Dec 23, 2019
SOLARPOWER1:
Pls I have a general question for IT guys in DE. I have started learning programming (started with PYTHON) in Nigeria before arriving DE. But I noticed that programming is too wild and there are so many areas to delve into and I have to choose one area so that I won't just be learning without a goal and focus. My question now is between Data analytics /Data base management and normal software engineering like web development and its likes which is a best option with respect to GETTING A JOB and breaking into the IT sector in DE. I really need help on this, I don't want to say I am confuse but I am in a dilemma at the moment.

Learn that Python well. Create a project afterwards and apply for paid internships!.

All fields in IT are lucrative in Germany. The question is do you have the skill?.

It's better to choose one field and focus solely on it!.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 6:32pm On Dec 23, 2019
janettee:

Learn that Python well. Create a project afterwards and apply for paid internships!.

All fields in IT are lucrative in Germany. The question is do you have the skill?.

It's better to choose one field and focus solely on it!.

Thanks for your response but my problem is which is better should I focus on something like python for data analytics, then add sql to it or should I focus on python for web development and maybe learn add html and css to it.....From your experience which is better and easier to break into the job market in DE?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by janettee(f): 7:40pm On Dec 23, 2019
SOLARPOWER1:

Thanks for your response but my problem is which is better should I focus on something like python for data analytics, then add sql to it or should I focus on python for web development and maybe learn add html and css to it.....From your experience which is better and easier to break into the job market in DE?

From my experience, if you are skilled in whatever field in IT, getting a job won't be a hassle.
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by umerah1996: 9:22pm On Dec 23, 2019
SOLARPOWER1:

You are on track
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by holychic: 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2019
SOLARPOWER1:
Pls I have a general question for IT guys in DE. I have started learning programming (started with PYTHON) in Nigeria before arriving DE. But I noticed that programming is too wild and there are so many areas to delve into and I have to choose one area so that I won't just be learning without a goal and focus.

Hey! I would say you should stick to python for data analysis and learn sql afterwards. I studied IT Engineering and all my course mates that choose to go that route are all gainfully employed after graduation. Python for web development in my opinion is not as widely used as python for data analysis.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 3:08pm On Dec 24, 2019
holychic:

Hey! I would say you should stick to python for data analysis and learn sql afterwards. I studied IT Engineering and all my course mates that choose to go that route are all gainfully employed after graduation. Python for web development in my opinion is not as widely used as python for data analysis.

Thank you very much for this info
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by MissNK: 1:10pm On Dec 26, 2019
Compliments of the season guys!!!!! Please who schools or lives in Dresden here? Is it a good place for blacks to stay?
Re: Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? by Goztino(m): 6:20am On Dec 27, 2019
This thread is indeed very powerful.
I will likely take a semester break next semester and focus on learning Deutsch to B1 level within 6 months from A1 level I am now.
I need the language like crazy now.
I have already seen the school and it will cost me 500 Euros.
Then in addition, I will like to learn Python programming (data analysis which is needed in my field later) but I don't really know how to start since I don't have any damn programming skills apart from the C++ boring course we did in my BSc level where the lecturer was writing codes on the board grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (118) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 / Travelling To Canada / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.