Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,455 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal (8352 Views)

Ogun To Generate Electricity From Sawdust / FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy / FG To Spend N15bn To Achieve 8,000mw Electricity Generation By 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by nitlad: 2:03am On Jul 08, 2013
[size=18pt]FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal[/size]

To address the country's epileptic power supply situation, the Federal Government has announced plans to generate additional 4,000 megawatts of electricity from coal.

This, according to the government, will augment the country's power generation, which currently is a little above 4,000MW.

The Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, disclosed this in Abuja while inaugurating an eight-man committee on the development of a framework for coal to power.

He said, "The Federal Ministry of Power and the Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel are working together to ensure that not only is coal mined from our coal deposit, but that coal is also converted to power. When that is done, it is most likely that these coal belts, when utilised, can give us in excess of 4,000 additional megawatts of electricity.

"No nation can survive on only one or two sources of energy. If there is sabotage or natural disaster that prevents one source of fuel, and if that is the only source, then there is problem."

The minister said it was imperative for Nigeria to have a well balanced energy mix, adding that in line with global best practice, there was an urgent need to diversify the energy sources.

Nebo stated that most developed countries of the world used coal as their major source of power generation, stressing that Nigeria's power generation mix currently consisted of 70 per cent production from the thermal plants and 30 per cent hydropower, adding that thermal plants were entirely based on natural gas as fuel.

According to the minister, the country has abundant coal spread across 13 states of the federation.

He said coal had been discovered in commercial quantities in a belt spanning Enugu, Benue, Kogi, Nassarawa and Gombe states.

According to the terms of refrence given to the committee members, a copy of which was obtained by our correspondent, the committee will review the status and adequacy of available studies and project documents relating to the establishment of coal-fired plants.

They are to examine the impediments and challenges to the development of coal-fired power plants in the country and make recommendations to facilitate investment in coal to power generation, among others.

In his remarks, the Chairman of the committee, Mr. Sanusi Garba, gave an assurance that members would ensure that the terms of reference were met.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by enny5: 2:09am On Jul 08, 2013
i have been hearing this story since i was 2yrs old. Please something new!! we are not interested.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 08, 2013
enny5: i have been hearing this story since i was 2yrs old. Please something new!! we are not interested.
2 YRS OLD ? WELL DAYUMMMM
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Fiawest(m): 8:53am On Jul 08, 2013
Much Interested in commissioning pls,not 'flagging off' whatever. Less Political/characterization statement,More 'idealisation'/administration.

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 08, 2013
Jokers!!! I laughed, laughed and laughed.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Airforce1(m): 8:53am On Jul 08, 2013
Retar.den. is at it again

Everyday he's got something new

2 Likes

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by hayubee(m): 8:54am On Jul 08, 2013
Na 2day!
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Grendel(m): 8:54am On Jul 08, 2013
Na today?
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 08, 2013
obadiah777: 2 YRS OLD ? WELL DAYUMMMM
every time dayummm dayummmm, Don't you know another English word? angry

5 Likes

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Babaofor(m): 8:54am On Jul 08, 2013
is this supposed to be news...mtcheeeew...NEXT

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by hayubee(m): 8:55am On Jul 08, 2013
Last year I tot dey said by 2013 electricity will be stable
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 08, 2013
lucenzo: every time dayummm dayummmm, Don't you know another English word? angry
DAYUMMMMM BRAH cry
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Youngzedd(m): 8:55am On Jul 08, 2013
We don hear as usual.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by nerodenero: 8:55am On Jul 08, 2013
We are tired of c.ock and bull stories.We need result!
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Igholize(m): 8:56am On Jul 08, 2013
Easy said than done.... Abeg mak una no dey tell us again oooo, mak una go do if una like.... I don waka
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by OmniSparrow: 8:57am On Jul 08, 2013
Mschew
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by PointB: 8:57am On Jul 08, 2013
@ Minister, we know these resources exist and that the potential for power production is huge. What we want to know is how and when you are going to translate the coal to power. Action, Mr. Minister, not words!

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by ddeola: 8:57am On Jul 08, 2013
They are still working on the modalities and have just set up a committee to that effect so why are they making noise about what they have not even concluded. Nigeria needs intelligent leadership
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 08, 2013
[size=15pt]they havent generate from GAS that is so abundant in the country its now coal. i hate dis type of news honestly.[/size]

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 08, 2013
From Coal?

In this day and age where most countries are looking to reduce their carbon footprints, Naija wants to fire up the Coal Factories...

Lol una for even use firewood join...Olodo FG

2 Likes

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by nep2ra(m): 8:58am On Jul 08, 2013
Another "FG To..." These people nor dey taya? grin

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Lordave: 8:59am On Jul 08, 2013
enny5: i have been hearing this story since i was 2yrs old. Please something new!! we are not interested.
and now you are five can you compare the condition of this present power sector with that of when you were 6months old?

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Airforce1(m): 8:59am On Jul 08, 2013
lucenzo:

I hope this reta.deen is not better than your father.

You're calling your father's boss reta.deen

when you cannot write proper English.

Dumbass.

Stop fronting for someone that doesn't even know u phucking exist
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by AKMoney1(m): 9:00am On Jul 08, 2013
[size=15pt]Wande Coal will fit for the advert when everything is ready by 2030[/size] grin

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Onwe101(m): 9:00am On Jul 08, 2013
tales by moon light......

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Chanchit: 9:00am On Jul 08, 2013
No be only coal, na from cement them go generate the elctricity. This is not the first time I would be hearing Nigeria wants to generate electricity from coal, I dnt knw if they need rocket science to achieve that.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by johnbeazy: 9:04am On Jul 08, 2013
I am not a big fan of coal (for environmental reasons) but it does make some sense. I just hope the Federal Government thinks things through so that they don't make past mistakes (Like building gas plants for power generation without thinking of how the gas is going to get to the power plants angry). If the coal plants are close to the coal mining areas then it makes sense for to use coal for power generation. Transportation of coal to the proposed facilities should be considered.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Smooyis(m): 9:05am On Jul 08, 2013
spare us the story. enough of empty
promises.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Lordave: 9:06am On Jul 08, 2013
Airforce1: Retar.den. is at it again

Everyday he's got something new
yeah retar-deen keeps commissioning project after projects just to make sure your belligerently beleaguered and retar-ded soul gets a better life.
Alomo

4 Likes

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 08, 2013
As usual,FG to flag off a project that won't end till 2030.If jonathan can't bring new ideas,atleast he should be bold enough to sustain and maintain existing ones.why spend billions that would probably disappear into thin air in the end when the existing structures are dying of attention ?

Sooner or later,Abati and okupe will defend the presidency,Maku will advertise ghost projects on TV while insincere nigerian will take care of the NL campaign yet millions of Nigerians sleep without light,sleep with empty bellies,drive on bad roads and most youth don't even have jobs and they will keep on shouting fresh air in the midst of high authority stealing.

Egyptians didn't suffer one quarter of what Nigerians face daily in the hands of those they voted in power to rule them yet they pushed their president out.Nigeria is ripe for a change !

3 Likes

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 08, 2013
Airforce1:

Stop fronting for someone that doesn't even know u phucking exist

it's not fronting, it's having common sense which is scarce in your case.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari's Winning Chances Will Fall If He Doesn't Pick Fashola As Running Mate / President Buhari Welcomes Ramadan Fasting, Asks Muslims To Feed The Poor / Crackdown On ‘Yahoo’ Boys: We Have Recorded 500 Convictions - EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.