Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,155 members, 7,818,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal (8351 Views)

Ogun To Generate Electricity From Sawdust / FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy / FG To Spend N15bn To Achieve 8,000mw Electricity Generation By 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Dibiachukwu: 7:46pm On Jul 08, 2013
collynzo2: Gas turbines alone cannot solve our electricity problems. There is a reason why all the countries with stable electricity have coal in common. France which is the exception uses nuclear power not gas. How many megawatts of electricity do you think a typical fully fuctional gas plant produces? Very litttle bro. You'll hardly find a gas plant anywhere in the world that produces up to 1 000 MW of electricity whereas coal, hydro and nuclear power plants that produce 10 000MW and above are found everywhere. Go figure.
The main reason those "advanced" countries use coal is because early electricity was done with coal. In other to move away from coal, they need to build new plants. Show us the countries building new coal plants? Only china because they can get coal for dirt cheap. It is ridiculous that Nigeria decides it needs coal energy now!
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by collynzo2(m): 8:42pm On Jul 08, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
The main reason those "advanced" countries use coal is because early electricity was done with coal. In other to move away from coal, they need to build new plants. Show us the countries building new coal plants? Only china because they can get coal for dirt cheap. It is ridiculous that Nigeria decides it needs coal energy now!
If those other sources were that easy to develop, they would have been the major source of energy in those countries by now. Apart from nuclear energy, none of those other sources will become the major source of energy in those countries any time soon, nuclear energy happen to be even more dangerous and risky than coal. It isn't renewable either. Research has it that deposits of natural gas and uranium(nuclear)will be exhausted long before deposits of coal. As long as coal remains the number one source of energy in the world, I have no problem with moving towards coal to solve our electricity problem. Relying on those other sources and not exploiting coal might be the reason why we still suffer power problems now. There is a reason why it remains the number one source of power in UK, US, China, Germany etc.
in this year 2013.
They might not be building new coal plants because they have a very strong backbone already, they are just using other sources to 'support'. In the US almost 50% of electricity generated is gotten from coal and the other numerous sources combined account for the remaining 50%. Did those countries say they are shutting down their existing coal plants?
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by collynzo2(m): 8:50pm On Jul 08, 2013
^^^ Do you think those countries will take pollution from MILLIONS of generators over pollution from a few coal plants?
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Lordave: 9:05pm On Jul 08, 2013
enny5:

yaa coz it will be like dis, then wen jonathan wins re-election, the story will become ''we ran out of fundings for the completion of the project'' den it will go back to ow it was b4 his campaign. we have relived it many times. we know all these things. This is campaign strategy.
I understand where you are coming from. You are actually having a jaundice view of Nigeria goverment. But GEJ has come because of people like you, to put Nigeria in order through his transformation agenda.
Just in a little time, he would totally prove his critics wrong.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by enny5: 10:20pm On Jul 08, 2013
Lordave: I understand where you are coming from. You are actually having a jaundice view of Nigeria goverment. But GEJ has come because of people like you, to put Nigeria in order through his transformation agenda.
Just in a little time, he would totally prove his critics wrong.

Also those that they bribe and promise local govt chairman seat(like u) to come and campaign and tell us lies. We have heard it all. Jonathan has been on dat seat since yaraduas death, why is it now, 2 yrs to his re-election that he is now working? what has been happening for the past 6 yrs+? What Yaraduas administations agenda did he complete? what was his own agenda when he started 3yrs ago? ow many has he completed. NONE. For ur info, Jonathan is not doing anything about the light situation he has only divided phcn and shared it to different private individuals that is why d power is better. He couldnt do it! Meaning increased light bills. Mstweee. TELL ME WHAT JONATHAN HAS DONE!! IN TRUE SENSE, NOTHING. he just privatized the various sectors & increased our taxes.

1 Like

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by demsy21(m): 10:42pm On Jul 08, 2013
is it the new movie or the same ....ridiculous politics tongue tongue tongue
nitlad:

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Erifenz: 11:44pm On Jul 08, 2013
Always the same story
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Lordave: 11:45pm On Jul 08, 2013
enny5:

Also those that they bribe and promise local govt chairman seat(like u) to come and campaign and tell us lies. We have heard it all. Jonathan has been on dat seat since yaraduas death, why is it now, 2 yrs to his re-election that he is now working? what has been happening for the past 6 yrs+? What Yaraduas administations agenda did he complete? what was his own agenda when he started 3yrs ago? ow many has he completed. NONE. For ur info, Jonathan is not doing anything about the light situation he has only divided phcn and shared it to different private individuals that is why d power is better. He couldnt do it! Meaning increased light bills. Mstweee. TELL ME WHAT JONATHAN HAS DONE!! IN TRUE SENSE, NOTHING. he just privatized the various sectors & increased our taxes.
nobody bribed me and I'm not a PDP thug. How am my even sure you're not an ACN political tool used to ridicule and belittle our dear presidents achievement. But one thing you should know is that neither APC nor ACN can do any more than GEJ, it's pellucid that you're lamenting about the state of this nation with inner motives.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by enny5: 12:08am On Jul 09, 2013
Lordave: nobody bribed me and I'm not a PDP thug. How am my even sure you're not an ACN political tool used to ridicule and belittle our dear presidents achievement. But one thing you should know is that neither APC nor ACN can do any more than GEJ, it's pellucid that you're lamenting about the state of this nation with inner motives.

I am an activist for the new generation! I am a youth of today. so i dont care about acn, pdp, northern leaders, religion or wateva u pple base ur fights on, i am with the younger generation that will eliminate all old hags clogging the presidency and take nigeria to the new information age.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Lordave: 12:14am On Jul 09, 2013
enny5:

I am an activist for the new generation! I am a youth of today. so i dont care about acn, pdp, northern leaders, religion or wateva u pple base ur fights on, i am with the younger generation that will eliminate all old hags clogging the presidency and take nigeria to the new information age.
good luck to you
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by enny5: 12:22am On Jul 09, 2013
Lordave: good luck to you

u guys are going down. weda u like it or not. you r too old. accept old age and move on. retire to ur village or visit ur grand children.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by ujoinme: 12:36am On Jul 09, 2013
No one here is talking about proven coal reserves in Nigeria? besides the enugu coal mines which i suspect the British mined most of it before independence i am not aware of any other proven coal deposit in Nigeria.
Can some one with knowledge on coal deposits in Nigeria enlighten me?

If we do have proven reserves of coal in Nigeria, Then there should not be any debate about utilizing coal as a means electricity generation, as Nigeria is a developing country and we need to do whatever we can to aid our development.

Obsessing about the effects of coal on the environment should not be our major preoccupation as only developed first world countries can afford such frivolities.

Try telling China and India about powering their economy with coal, and see what their answer will be?
The question has already been answered by the above countries and the answer is that they are entitled to the use of coal to kick start their economy just like the first world countries did.

Nigeria should not be an exception. we are presently in a ditch when it comes to power generation we need to use what ever means to dig ourselves out of that ditch first.once we are out of the ditch like all the advanced countries have done, Then we can worry about clean coal technology which the Americans and the EU are contemplating even though experts tag such technology a phantom.

BTW all those so advanced nations are still utilizing the same Coal to power their nations as of today i haven't heard of any country that's closing down or downsizing their coal power plants. hence whose fooling who about environmental friendliness.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by enny5: 12:47am On Jul 09, 2013
ujoinme: No one here is talking about proven coal reserves in Nigeria? besides the enugu coal mines which i suspect the British mined all of it before independence i have not aware of any other proven coal deposit in Nigeria.
Can some one with knowledge on coal deposits in Nigeria enlighten me?

If we do have proven reserves of coal in Nigeria, Then there should not be any debate about utilizing coal as a means electricity generation, as Nigeria is a developing country and we need to do whatever we can to aid our development.

Obsessing about the effects of coal on the environment should not be our major preoccupation as only developed first world countries can afford such frivolities.

Try telling China and India about powering their economy with coal, and see what their answer will be?
The question has already been answered by the above countries and the answer is that they are entitled to the use of coal to kick start their economy just like the first world countries did.

Nigeria should not be an exception. we are presently in a ditch when it comes to power generation we need to use what ever means to dig ourselves out of that ditch first.once we are out of the ditch like all the advanced countries have done, Then we can worry about clean coal technology which the Americans and the EU are contemplating even though experts tag such technology a phantom.

BTW all those so advanced nations are still utilizing the same Coal to power their nations as of today i haven't heard of any country that's closing down or downsizing their coal power plants. hence whose fooling who about environmental friendliness.

Is dis a comment or a thread
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by ujoinme: 12:52am On Jul 09, 2013
enny5:

Is dis a comment or a thread

It can be whatever you want it to be mate.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Dibiachukwu: 11:35am On Jul 09, 2013
collynzo2: ^^^ Do you think those countries will take pollution from MILLIONS of generators over pollution from a few coal plants?
I for one would prefer to have my own energy source (solar). That way I know when I get power and when I don't. Take it to the real private sector (manufacturers and retailers,not auctioneers and concessionaires), and solar can power most Nigerian homes. For industries, I will definitely go for nuclear and gas. They are cheap and relatively clean.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by johnbeazy: 7:12pm On Jul 12, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
I for one would prefer to have my own energy source (solar). That way I know when I get power and when I don't. Take it to the real private sector (manufacturers and retailers,not auctioneers and concessionaires), and solar can power most Nigerian homes. For industries, I will definitely go for nuclear and gas. They are cheap and relatively clean.

You do know that solar also means you have to use a batteries right for off grid applications. Solar does not work at night. batteries have their own environmental disadvantages. Solar is not 100% renewable since it only works half the time. The reason why solar is even an option in advanced economies is because most houses are still connected to the grid. solar can be used in households during the day (i.e. cost of electricity is greatest) and then convention power (from the utilities, electricity cost is less ) is used at night.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by enny5: 3:21am On Jul 13, 2013
johnbeazy:

You do know that solar also means you have to use a batteries right for off grid applications. Solar does not work at night. batteries have their own environmental disadvantages. Solar is not 100% renewable since it only works half the time. The reason why solar is even an option in advanced economies is because most houses are still connected to the grid. solar can be used in households during the day (i.e. cost of electricity is greatest) and then convention power (from the utilities, electricity cost is less ) is used at night.

LMFAO!!!!!! Solar does not mean direct sun ooo. LMAO. cant stop lafin. Its just photovoltaic panels dat store solar power. Sun cloud or moon. They store up enery continously and power is generated from dese stordd reserve. It is at least 95-98 percent renewable. Unless the whold world has 1 week darkness and total eclipse of all d planets.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by johnbeazy: 4:00am On Jul 13, 2013
enny5:

LMFAO!!!!!! Solar does not mean direct sun ooo. LMAO. cant stop lafin. Its just photovoltaic panels dat store solar power. Sun cloud or moon. They store up enery continously and power is generated from dese stordd reserve. It is at least 95-98 percent renewable. Unless the whold world has 1 week darkness and total eclipse of all d planets.

Enny5 are you laughing at me or yourself angry? The main ways we store energy are pretty much as a fuel (natural gas, coal, hydrogen, petrol) or chemical storage (battery). Photovoltaics do not store electricity they generate electricity. Some countries are playing around with converting solar energy to heat and using that produce electricity at night. You can probably combine solar with another fuel source generation ie. hydrogen from water to try and make in 100% renewable but this is still in research phases.

And photovoltaics are pretty much useless at night even with the moon. Think about this the International space station uses solar when it faces the sun and uses batteries when it is not facing the sun. Think about that. You were right there is always light somewhere on earth. However unless Nigeria and Australia are using the same grid then this does not work.

The only kind of 100% renewable energy might be hydro-power and geo-thermal.

Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by Dibiachukwu: 5:38am On Jul 13, 2013
johnbeazy:

Ofcourse solar incudes some form of storage. That way, you are in direct control of your energy not PHCN.
Re: FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal by johnbeazy: 4:30am On Jul 14, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
Ofcourse solar incudes some form of storage. That way, you are in direct control of your energy not PHCN.

I don't know why I responded to your post with the battery issue . I think I wanted to write a post criticizing other posters and their claims of renewable energy etc. I meant to say since solar in Nigeria is going to be a stand alone system then the addition of batteries to the equation does not make it totally environmentally friendly.

I actually agree that solar is a viable option to power homes of some individuals. I don't understand why more rich Nigerians do not use solar power in their homes instead of relying on generators. The main benefit of solar in Nigeria is getting rid of dependence to PHCN/NEPA/whatever acronym they call it next.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osibanjo Gate Crashed Into The Security Meeting In Aso Rock- Picture / President Buhari Welcomes Ramadan Fasting, Asks Muslims To Feed The Poor / Rivers: Court Affirms Accord Party Candidates, APC National Assembly Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.