Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? (5119 Views)

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back / What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? / Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by GboyegaD(m): 11:00am On Jul 17, 2013
Ladapo: Thanks for the advice everyone, I asked the question cos I couldn't convince the guy not to leave. I know the grass is not always greener on the other side and maybe " I just dey fear" for my friend ni for the fillowingreasons ;

1. I don't think he will be going to the school cos of funding.
2. Getting a job, accommodation etc. Is not always easy without papers and even PR holders still complain cos u ll find out that some people live better in Nigeria until they land here.

Well, thanks for the advice everyone, I can only pray for my friend....i am not a wicked soul o my dear friend, I just don't like when people go through difficult times.

How did he get the Canadian Visa because he must have been required to pay tuition and board for one year whenever he was advised to undertake his medicals.
Also, because Canadian needs people owing to the decline in the population structure of those in the working age, if he does well in school, he stand a very high chance of getting a very good job.
Whilst I agree that you were only looking out for your friend, I would also say that he knew why he is choosing to go further his studies and he may return upon graduation to pick a good job if he feels he isn't getting what he wants there. Besides, the salary he earns here in Nigeria if he is working in Lagos, Abuja or PH isn't enough to live a comfortable life so, this is an opportunity to enhance and place himself in a much better and favorable position.

1 Like

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by africanchilds: 12:06pm On Jul 17, 2013
GboyegaD:

Your conclusion is amazing. You have only lived weeks in the US and you are already reaching conclusions that are so biased based on your experience solely. Or were you expecting that on getting to the USA, the whole economy goes on standstill because an immigrant just came in? Anyways, in a sane economy, you work for your money however, if it isn't conducive for you, you can come back to Nigeria.

Biased.No.it's personal and not mandatory for others to wish.I wasn't expecting to see a balanced economy bro.it should be noted that, your environment is also a factor in your success story, most especially people you hang with on arrival.
I don't have the leisure of spending money on ticket yearly, but I know some people who will never swap US immigration cos of how much they earn.
I haven't said anything horrible about here, but I see where opportunities lies for me as an entrepreneur.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by juzme: 12:20pm On Jul 17, 2013
We keep forgetting one thing. You will need to be legal in a country to be lucky to have a good job. We should stop comparing countries based on their economy when you want to migrate. You should look at your current circumstance and a good reason to migrate. Put away all the mentality that everyone living abroad are better off. Of course Canada has a very good economy in the world today. We should look at the person who want to migrate to Canada’s current circumstances. He earns 150,000 Naira, equivalent to 750euro. The average of 2 bedroom flat in Nigeria may be 250,000naira annually. Do he has chances to progress in his current job? For me if I have chances of progressing in that position I will not risky going away from the job except for other conditions.
Considering this person’s current condition, basic wages in Canada is about 10.50c$. He may be allowed to work for 20hours as a student. Although, can’t really say much about how much he will be earning in Canada as I don’t know his professional qualification.
Some of the reasons that I may consider to abandon the job that I am earning 150,000Naira will be: That is if I think I can’t cope with them.
To run away from poor security condition in Nigeria
To run way from epileptic power supply in Nigeria
To escape the bad infrastructure system in Nigeria
To run away from constant malaria and typhoid fever.
If my current condition in Nigeria is bad and I have a sponsor to Canada.
If I have job offer in Canada
If fund to study a good course or programme
However, if I think I can cope with these conditions and that I have a better chance of progressing in my current job position. I will stay put.
One typical example is this. I have a friend that is earning 50,000euro per annum their country and her brother could not find job in their country but got a job offer in Canada is earning 30,000 euro per annum. Reason for moving is because he could not find job in his country.
This is my take on this. Move for a good reason!
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by GboyegaD(m): 1:04pm On Jul 17, 2013
africanchilds:

Biased.No.it's personal and not mandatory for others to wish.I wasn't expecting to see a balanced economy bro.it should be noted that, your environment is also a factor in your success story, most especially people you hang with on arrival.
I don't have the leisure of spending money on ticket yearly, but I know some people who will never swap US immigration cos of how much they earn.
I haven't said anything horrible about here, but I see where opportunities lies for me as an entrepreneur.

If you earn so well, you can always travel on vacation. However, travelling to study doesn't conote migration in its real self except you choose to stay after school.
Never worry about the travelling part because once you settle in fully and get that awesome job you dream of, coming to Nigeria yearly wouldn't be an issue. I think what people run from is the monies you spend when in the country and not the cost of traveling.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by GboyegaD(m): 1:18pm On Jul 17, 2013
juzme: We keep forgetting one thing. You will need to be legal in a country to be lucky to have a good job. We should stop comparing countries based on their economy when you want to migrate. You should look at your current circumstance and a good reason to migrate. Put away all the mentality that everyone living abroad are better off. Of course Canada has a very good economy in the world today. We should look at the person who want to migrate to Canada’s current circumstances. He earns 150,000 Naira, equivalent to 750euro. The average of 2 bedroom flat in Nigeria may be 250,000naira annually. Do he has chances to progress in his current job? For me if I have chances of progressing in that position I will not risky going away from the job except for other conditions.
Considering this person’s current condition, basic wages in Canada is about 10.50c$. He may be allowed to work for 20hours as a student. Although, can’t really say much about how much he will be earning in Canada as I don’t know his professional qualification.
Some of the reasons that I may consider to abandon the job that I am earning 150,000Naira will be: That is if I think I can’t cope with them.
To run away from poor security condition in Nigeria
To run way from epileptic power supply in Nigeria
To escape the bad infrastructure system in Nigeria
To run away from constant malaria and typhoid fever.
If my current condition in Nigeria is bad and I have a sponsor to Canada.
If I have job offer in Canada
If fund to study a good course or programme
However, if I think I can cope with these conditions and that I have a better chance of progressing in my current job position. I will stay put.
One typical example is this. I have a friend that is earning 50,000euro per annum their country and her brother could not find job in their country but got a job offer in Canada is earning 30,000 euro per annum. Reason for moving is because he could not find job in his country.
This is my take on this. Move for a good reason!

The reason(s) you listed that could make you leave might be one of the reasons why he is also leaving. Truth is he must have counted his cost before choosing to return to school. Besides, the current job might not be the career he foresees for himself.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by AjanleKoko: 10:37am On Jul 22, 2013
Sorry to say, this thread reveals a lot about the negative aspects of the Nigerian psyche:

1. Our penchant for short-term -ism.
2. Over-materialistic focus
3. Lack of synergy/cooperation.

1 Like

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by justwise(m): 11:09am On Jul 22, 2013
AjanleKoko: Sorry to say, this thread reveals a lot about the negative aspects of the Nigerian psyche:

1. Our penchant for short-term -ism.
2. Over-materialistic focus

3. Lack of synergy/cooperation.

1000 Likes
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by MMotimo: 6:49am On Sep 01, 2013
AjanleKoko: It's kinda sad that we Nigerians only measure life by monetary standards.[/b]
We don't live to work, or live for money alone. Even the Good Book says 'man shall not live by bread alone.'.

And that, my friends, is mental bondage of great magnitude
It's a good idea to not just travel but open your eyes wide, see how other people live and realize money is not god afterall. All the "fi eje run" on top toro kobo is not always worth it and you can't take it with you.
Aim for the best quality of life you can access without breaking the law
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by IbeOkehie: 4:56pm On Jul 04, 2023
I wonder what happened in this case and if there are any regrets? Ten years is long enough to give us a report on outcomes.

😆

Good Luck to Nigeria!
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:58pm On Jul 04, 2023
IbeOkehie:
I wonder what happened in this case and if there are any regrets? Ten years is long enought give us a report on outcomes.

😆

Good Luck to Nigeria!

They will hide from this post. No one has ever lost betting against Nigeria. The funny thing is that as of 2013 relocating to the US was very easy. The chances of securing a H1B visa after your studies was 100 percent. Most who left then have all gotten green cards and will soon be citizens. Now the chances of getting the same h1b is 14 percent.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by richhills(m): 6:05pm On Jul 04, 2023
If you say #450,000 above and the person is a middle age like over 40 then I can buy your advise and again if he is not coming with immigrant visa. There are people who make $8,000/$10,000 per month. At least no do no do you will be on $2000 per month which will be considered poor. A good pay starts from $4000 per month. So for a younger guy, he should shoot his shot, 150k naira is meagre.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by lastkingsman: 7:54pm On Jul 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

They will hide from this post. No one has ever lost betting against Nigeria. The funny thing is that as of 2013 relocating to the US was very easy. The chances of securing a H1B visa after your studies was 100 percent. Most who left then have all gotten green cards and will soon be citizens. Now the chances of getting the same h1b is 14 percent.

Also the 150k he was earning that time = $1,000. Today, it's 194$. A well paying job indeed grin grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:00pm On Jul 04, 2023
lastkingsman:

Also the 150k he was earning that time = $1,000. Today, it's 194$. A well paying job indeed grin grin

Bro its shocking o. With 150k then you can buy a tokunbo car, go shopping on ASOS and travel to dubai for holidays. My plan then was to finish my school and come to work in Naija with 200k salary and marry grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Fraih(f): 9:05pm On Jul 04, 2023
goodtalk:
so you call earning about $900 a month to be a well paying job abi? My friend no sir! He should go and while schooling and adding more qualifications to what he already has he could easily get a part time job that could pay him above that amount he currently earns!! Oga seun am still waiting for my payment for been t'he first to comment on dis matter, abeg do dat quick before i take nairaland to court! Dis are my bank details, Trade Bank Marina Acct No 653210000000.
So 150k was once 900$
Ahhh Nigeria 😳
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by lastkingsman: 10:01pm On Jul 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Bro its shocking o. With 150k then you can buy a tokunbo car, go shopping on ASOS and travel to dubai for holidays. My plan then was to finish my school and come to work in Naija with 200k salary and marry grin grin

Kwakwakwa grin

Chai, your wife for don born like 3 by now on 200k salary. grin
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:45pm On Jul 04, 2023
lastkingsman:

Kwakwakwa grin

Chai, your wife for don born like 3 by now on 200k salary. grin

You wicked o. Make poverty and hardship Bleep me back to back double penetration style
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by ednut1(m): 11:48pm On Jul 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

You wicked o. Make poverty and hardship Bleep me back to back double penetration style
today immigration is now harder. Canada study visa was easy, to enter usa with study or visit no hard. Easy to enter UAE. Naira still had value. The friend is probably in uk on student visa now or earning 400k with 4 kids and seeing shege promax.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:50pm On Jul 04, 2023
ednut1:
today immigration is now harder. Canada study visa was easy, to enter usa with study or visit no hard. Easy to enter UAE. Naira still had value. The friend is probably in uk on student visa now or earning 400k with 4 kids and seeing shege promax.

Lol immigration will even get much more harder next year. All the European countries that were giving visa yanfu yanfu then don lock up. Na only UK still dey give and from January you can't carry dependent. How many people fit pay tuition balance without dependent. Canada fees just doubled due to exchange rate. UAE has banned Nigerians. Everywhere don choke o grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Biola67: 7:08pm On Jul 10, 2023
You go still advice am not to relocate??🫤
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by IbeOkehie: 3:19am On Oct 23, 2023
We need an update from the OP here!!!

Thanks!
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Kenn55: 1:31pm On Oct 23, 2023
150k in 2013 was around $900. If he stayed back and his career progressed and he is now earning 1m that means he is still earning around the same $900 today after 10 years.

If he had moved through school at that time, by now he would have had become a citizen of a first world country.

If he got tired of Canada and decides to come back to his fatherland, he would have been coming back to Nigeria with a foreign degree, International work experience and a Canadian passport as a plan B.

With a combination of both local and foreign education, local and foreign work experience, he would still be in a position to land a better job with multinational companies in Nigeria.

Multinational companies in Nigeria still prefer people with a blend of local and international experience so he wouldn't have lost anything at the end.

But many Nigerians are plagued with shortsightedness, lack of ability to see the big picture and instant gratification.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Kennyg290: 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2023
This write-up is all about me. My salary is just that for the past six years now,as God will have it I decided to start Canada process and promotion came with 16k added. I was now contemplating on the future because FG will make increment when minimum wage takes effect next year. So ability to read the future for survival determine the steps to take.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:02pm On Oct 23, 2023
Kennyg290:
This write-up is all about me. My salary is just that for the past six years now,as God will have it I decided to start Canada process and promotion came with 16k added. I was now contemplating on the future because FG will make increment when minimum wage takes effect next year. So ability to read the future for survival determine the steps to take.

16k naira or dollars.

1 Like

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by ThiagoKid(m): 10:14pm On Oct 23, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

16k naira or dollars.

grin grin grin
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by lastkingsman: 8:24am On Oct 24, 2023
Ladapo:
I am trying to convince a friend who has a well paying job in naija not to relocate as the grass is not always greener on the other side but the guy won't hear any of my reasoning..this guy earns about N 150k per month and just got a student visa to Canada. What would you suggest?

Well well well. If he is in Canada, he can make 150k now in a day grin
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Ajibade123(m): 8:41am On Oct 24, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

16k naira or dollars.
I laughed so hard when I read this😂😂😂

1 Like

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Gentew(m): 1:45pm On Oct 25, 2023
IbeOkehie:
We need an update from the OP here!!!

Thanks!

I like your openness.... Please I plan to enter US through Visit visa without any plan of returning to Naija. How will I be able to get a any casual job to sustain myself. Or do I need to convert my visa status to work visa when I get there.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by ednut1(m): 3:56pm On Oct 25, 2023
Gentew:

I like your openness.... Please I plan to enter US through Visit visa without any plan of returning to Naija. How will I be able to get a any casual job to sustain myself. Or do I need to convert my visa status to work visa when I get there.
you will be bounced at the embassy. America no dey give visit visa like before again.This is 2023 not 2012
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Manofsteel2013(m): 3:59pm On Oct 25, 2023
Ladapo:
I am trying to convince a friend who has a well paying job in naija not to relocate as the grass is not always greener on the other side but the guy won't hear any of my reasoning..this guy earns about N 150k per month and just got a student visa to Canada. What would you suggest?

kininwiii?
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Kennyg290: 4:50pm On Oct 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

16k naira or dollars.
Na naira oo,by next year with new minimum wage my salary will not be less than 250k naira. How una see am
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:59pm On Oct 25, 2023
Kennyg290:

Na naira oo,by next year with new minimum wage my salary will not be less than 250k naira. How una see am

It's a good salary.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Have 600k..which Country Can I Travel To And Start A Good Life.. / My Experience At Nigeria Immigration Office, Ikoyi / Any Idea About Estonian Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.