Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,606 members, 7,809,218 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha (12588 Views)

DPR Blames Marketers As Petrol Scarcity Worsens - PUNCH / FG Approves N86.50k As Petrol Pump Price / Biafra Agitators Burn Two Trailers At Onitsha Head Bridge (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Donchyke39(m): 1:23pm On Jul 13, 2013
Seven persons were crushed to death at the Upper Iweka axis in the commercial city of Onitsha when a petrol tanker, a truck belonging to Dangote Group and another carrying 40 feet container crashed in the city.

Saturday Sun gathered that the first tanker lorry with registration number, XG 613 AKR had failed brake opposite the Toronto hospital along Onitsha-Asaba Expressway, crushing people especially motorists along the ever busy Upper Iweka area.

However as the men of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC were still busy evacuating the bodies, a trailer lorry carrying a 40 feet container with registration number XA353 GGU and another trailer carrying Dangote Cement also had failed brakes and crushed other road users.

The first incident claimed the lives of two men and a woman who were on their way home after the day's job while the second and third incidents claimed the lives of a commercial motorcyclist and his passengers whose bodies were mauled beyond recognition.

Narrating his experience, a survivor of the second accident in a vehicle with registration number DL486ENU who pleaded anonymity said his escape was miraculous since the trailers lost brakes and were busy crushing their victims from the Toronto hospital to the foot of the Upper Iweka fly-over.

"I was coming back from my office, am a lawyer, when I got to Upper Iweka, I saw a terrible traffic gridlock, I was told that a tanker lorry failed brake and crushed people at the area. I also noticed that vehicles were parked along the road, suddenly as I was still at the traffic gridlock, I heard frightening sound, before I could know what was happening, two trailers carrying container and cement had lost brakes and started crushing people"

He further stated "I could not jump out of my car because I was like a person glued until I heard a great bang and I thought I was dead, it was people that came and brought me out, but up till now, I can't really say what happened to me but everybody that saw me come out of the car told me to thank my God"

Another eyewitness who gave his name as Dozie Okonkwo, a bus conductor said that the only woman that died in the incident was a daily money collector who had closed for the day and was on her way back to her home at Old Road, Onitsha.

"She came to enter our bus, I told her that the price was N70, she jumped out because she wanted a cheaper one, not quite long, the incident happened, when we rushed there, she was already crushed, her body was already crushed, it was only her cloth that some people used to recognize her, her flesh was scattered all over the place"

However the first tanker lorry was said to be coming from a filling station where it had dispensed its product in the commercial city of Onitsha and was on its way to Port Harcourt when the driver allegedly lost control of the vehicle, skidded off the road and crushed people.

The Onitsha Unit Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, Mr. Anthony Meta could not comment on the incident as he refused to pick his calls. An officer who did not want his name in print confirmed the incident and said he personally led his team to deposit the bodies of the victims in the mortuary and took the injured persons to Toronto Hospital for medical attention.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/7-crushed-as-petrol-tanker-trailers-crash-in-onitsha/
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by launique: 1:24pm On Jul 13, 2013
Hmmmm... sad one there.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Zonacom(m): 1:36pm On Jul 13, 2013
I hate seeing these trucks/lories/tankers whenever am on the road. I just wish govt will restrict their activity to night times. RIP to the dead

4 Likes

Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by oyinglory(f): 4:56pm On Jul 13, 2013
Eewooooo!....RIP 2 d dead o.
3rd 2 comment sha
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by LOUDmedia(m): 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2013
OMG!
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by suzyluv(f): 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2013
Sad one
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by 3ace(m): 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2013
Not again.. why Dangote everytime? That's why I don't mess with these trailers and trucks. They are like cows that we see on our roads. Once they loose control, damages are certain. It is only a fool that will contest with them on the road.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by ThankGodEdeh(m): 5:00pm On Jul 13, 2013
May the souls of all those departed rest in perfect peace with the Lord. AMEN
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by oyinglory(f): 5:00pm On Jul 13, 2013
Our govt shld pls do somtin abt dis trucks moving during day time b4 somtin will do dem oo...hmm, half talk la n so fun omoluabi
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by yuncka: 5:01pm On Jul 13, 2013
Nawa o, did Dangote only invest in training masters and PHD drivers? I tink he should employ more engineers to see to proper workin condition of his vehicles, there's bn so much accidents involvin Dangote vehicles of recent.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by FineBro(m): 5:04pm On Jul 13, 2013
Are these killings kinda sacrifice?. God have Mercy.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Danchiks(m): 5:05pm On Jul 13, 2013

it is well
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by comrChris(m): 5:05pm On Jul 13, 2013
oh God wat s all dis dieing here n dere? R i p 2 d dead
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by lonelydora: 5:08pm On Jul 13, 2013
RIP to the dead ones. Thought Dangote employed graduate drivers?

1 Like

Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:11pm On Jul 13, 2013
Zona.com:
I hate seeing these trucks/lories/tankers whenever am on the road. I just wish govt will restrict their activity to night times. RIP to the dead

Same here
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Garrithe1st: 5:13pm On Jul 13, 2013
RIP to the dead

cool
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by nerodenero: 5:19pm On Jul 13, 2013
There is too much pressure on our roads and need to revive the rail transport system which I believe is the safest.RIP to the dead.

1 Like

Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by tess22: 5:20pm On Jul 13, 2013
If you are tired of hearing about these sad stories, please join me in campaigning for the FRSC to ban these poorly maintained vehicles from our roads at daytime. The other time it was 11 people including children who were burnt beyond recognition in Ibadan, in April it was 50 people also burnt beyond recognition along Benin-Lagos highway.

Remember it could be anyone next time. It is not only poor people who are killed when trailers and fuel tankers have failed brakes. Please Nigerians begin to demand better services from the FRSC, it is our right! Let’s not just say “R.I.P to the dead”, let’s prevent this madness from continuing. Please join me by clicking these links, there are already 300+ supporters in total, thank you.
https://www.facebook.com/StopFuelTankerAccidentsNow
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/please-ban-the-daytime-movement-of-fuel-tankers-and-trailers

4 Likes

Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Youngzedd(m): 5:21pm On Jul 13, 2013
This truck drivers suppose to be moving during the night.

RIP to the woman that want cheap things.

Personally there are things I bargain.

Another expenses to the richest man Africa.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by ridwan4u(m): 5:22pm On Jul 13, 2013
am onitsha. dis is tru. may dis soul rest in peace.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 13, 2013
Yet, another graduate trainee driver cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I'm sure by now, our Oga at the top, Dangote is regretting employing those half-baked Nigerian graduates grin grin grin grin
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by ceejay675(m): 5:26pm On Jul 13, 2013
Dis is a false information....I was dia live wen it hapnd....I was at asaba park....dangote truck didn't kill anyone...it was d 1st truck that killed 6 not 7...2 women n 4 men....it was really terrible...have not seen anytin like dat in my life b4....d way dia hands legs n head cut off...God hv mercy....government shd do sumtin abt dat upper iweka...d way bus drivers n lorries drivers drive..dy drive wit full speed knowin fully well dat d road is nt gud n peeps always gather along d road
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Effwazobia: 5:28pm On Jul 13, 2013
People keep commenting and saying government should do something. When will you guys wake up? We are on our own, nothing is working. No government in this so called one nigeria. Spliting the damn country is the only thing that will work. If not, come 10 years from now, we will still be wallowing in our usual illusions of God this God that or Government this or that. Your government officials are lining their pockets, they've bought up the whole UAE, and you still think they care? Bottom line, we need to go our separate ways because whatever we have now is not working

4 Likes

Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Benspoon(m): 5:35pm On Jul 13, 2013
God help us.....dis tankers and lorries causes so many disspeakeable accidents.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Mospring(m): 5:41pm On Jul 13, 2013
damn too bad!. sowie; i am alergic to bad news! gush!!!

1 Like

Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by FUCKU: 5:41pm On Jul 13, 2013
Another Reason GHANA is better than NIGERIA... Big cars. Trailers etc only operate at night
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Joe50(m): 5:42pm On Jul 13, 2013
Danchiks:

it is well

tell us what is well here angry sad
the accident undecided

cos nothing well in dis country sad
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Jendorr1(m): 5:48pm On Jul 13, 2013
Ehya i petty for them sorry

omg,may God be with them
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Rhea(f): 5:49pm On Jul 13, 2013
[size=18pt]pictures? [/size]
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by kitakoli(m): 5:50pm On Jul 13, 2013
Benspoon: God help us.....dis tankers and lorries causes so many disspeakeable accidents.
angry
Benspoon: God help us.....dis tankers and lorries causes so many disspeakeable accidents.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Divinetouch(m): 5:54pm On Jul 13, 2013
Donchyke39: Seven persons were crushed to death at the Upper Iweka axis in the commercial city of Onitsha when a petrol tanker, a truck belonging to Dangote Group and another carrying 40 feet container crashed in the city.

Saturday Sun gathered that the first tanker lorry with registration number, XG 613 AKR had failed brake opposite the Toronto hospital along Onitsha-Asaba Expressway, crushing people especially motorists along the ever busy Upper Iweka area.

However as the men of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC were still busy evacuating the bodies, a trailer lorry carrying a 40 feet container with registration number XA353 GGU and another trailer carrying Dangote Cement also had failed brakes and crushed other road users.

The first incident claimed the lives of two men and a woman who were on their way home after the day's job while the second and third incidents claimed the lives of a commercial motorcyclist and his passengers whose bodies were mauled beyond recognition.

Narrating his experience, a survivor of the second accident in a vehicle with registration number DL486ENU who pleaded anonymity said his escape was miraculous since the trailers lost brakes and were busy crushing their victims from the Toronto hospital to the foot of the Upper Iweka fly-over.

"I was coming back from my office, am a lawyer, when I got to Upper Iweka, I saw a terrible traffic gridlock, I was told that a tanker lorry failed brake and crushed people at the area. I also noticed that vehicles were parked along the road, suddenly as I was still at the traffic gridlock, I heard frightening sound, before I could know what was happening, two trailers carrying container and cement had lost brakes and started crushing people"

He further stated "I could not jump out of my car because I was like a person glued until I heard a great bang and I thought I was dead, it was people that came and brought me out, but up till now, I can't really say what happened to me but everybody that saw me come out of the car told me to thank my God"

Another eyewitness who gave his name as Dozie Okonkwo, a bus conductor said that the only woman that died in the incident was a daily money collector who had closed for the day and was on her way back to her home at Old Road, Onitsha.

"She came to enter our bus, I told her that the price was N70, she jumped out because she wanted a cheaper one, not quite long, the incident happened, when we rushed there, she was already crushed, her body was already crushed, it was only her cloth that some people used to recognize her, her flesh was scattered all over the place"

However the first tanker lorry was said to be coming from a filling station where it had dispensed its product in the commercial city of Onitsha and was on its way to Port Harcourt when the driver allegedly lost control of the vehicle, skidded off the road and crushed people.

The Onitsha Unit Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, Mr. Anthony Meta could not comment on the incident as he refused to pick his calls. An officer who did not want his name in print confirmed the incident and said he personally led his team to deposit the bodies of the victims in the mortuary and took the injured persons to Toronto Hospital for medical attention.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/7-crushed-as-petrol-tanker-trailers-crash-in-onitsha/

rip to d dead
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by chizel: 6:00pm On Jul 13, 2013
What is dangote and his trucks upto for Gods sake?may their souls rest in peace.amen

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Released Chibok Girls To Undergo Surgery- Minister Of Women Affairs / Saudi King, Qatari Emir, Russian Envoy Congratulate President Buhari / Uzodimma: APGA Is Like Keke NAPEP, It Can’t Take Igbos Far In Getting Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.