Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,278 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha (12591 Views)

DPR Blames Marketers As Petrol Scarcity Worsens - PUNCH / FG Approves N86.50k As Petrol Pump Price / Biafra Agitators Burn Two Trailers At Onitsha Head Bridge (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Temismith(f): 6:02pm On Jul 13, 2013
So sad.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 13, 2013
oyinglory: Eewooooo!....RIP 2 d dead o.
3rd 2 comment sha
u r a foo! to be talkng abt being 3rd to comment in a sad thread lyk dis.

Educated mu§u
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by igbsam(m): 6:10pm On Jul 13, 2013
Reminds me of the movie "final destination" may the souls of the departed rest in peace
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Divinetouch(m): 6:12pm On Jul 13, 2013
Donchyke39: Seven persons were crushed to death at the Upper Iweka axis in the commercial city of Onitsha when a petrol tanker, a truck belonging to Dangote Group and another carrying 40 feet container crashed in the city.

Saturday Sun gathered that the first tanker lorry with registration number, XG 613 AKR had failed brake opposite the Toronto hospital along Onitsha-Asaba Expressway, crushing people especially motorists along the ever busy Upper Iweka area.

However as the men of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC were still busy evacuating the bodies, a trailer lorry carrying a 40 feet container with registration number XA353 GGU and another trailer carrying Dangote Cement also had failed brakes and crushed other road users.

The first incident claimed the lives of two men and a woman who were on their way home after the day's job while the second and third incidents claimed the lives of a commercial motorcyclist and his passengers whose bodies were mauled beyond recognition.

Narrating his experience, a survivor of the second accident in a vehicle with registration number DL486ENU who pleaded anonymity said his escape was miraculous since the trailers lost brakes and were busy crushing their victims from the Toronto hospital to the foot of the Upper Iweka fly-over.

"I was coming back from my office, am a lawyer, when I got to Upper Iweka, I saw a terrible traffic gridlock, I was told that a tanker lorry failed brake and crushed people at the area. I also noticed that vehicles were parked along the road, suddenly as I was still at the traffic gridlock, I heard frightening sound, before I could know what was happening, two trailers carrying container and cement had lost brakes and started crushing people"

He further stated "I could not jump out of my car because I was like a person glued until I heard a great bang and I thought I was dead, it was people that came and brought me out, but up till now, I can't really say what happened to me but everybody that saw me come out of the car told me to thank my God"

Another eyewitness who gave his name as Dozie Okonkwo, a bus conductor said that the only woman that died in the incident was a daily money collector who had closed for the day and was on her way back to her home at Old Road, Onitsha.

"She came to enter our bus, I told her that the price was N70, she jumped out because she wanted a cheaper one, not quite long, the incident happened, when we rushed there, she was already crushed, her body was already crushed, it was only her cloth that some people used to recognize her, her flesh was scattered all over the place"

However the first tanker lorry was said to be coming from a filling station where it had dispensed its product in the commercial city of Onitsha and was on its way to Port Harcourt when the driver allegedly lost control of the vehicle, skidded off the road and crushed people.

The Onitsha Unit Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, Mr. Anthony Meta could not comment on the incident as he refused to pick his calls. An officer who did not want his name in print confirmed the incident and said he personally led his team to deposit the bodies of the victims in the mortuary and took the injured persons to Toronto Hospital for medical attention.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/7-crushed-as-petrol-tanker-trailers-crash-in-onitsha/
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by cupid4ig(m): 6:21pm On Jul 13, 2013
the problem is not government its the truck drivers they know very well upper iweka is always congested but they will keep speeding all the way from army barracks down to that toronto hospital thats when they will start applying their brakes. sometimes i just wonder if these truck driver have ordinary common sense. once am driving and see them coming from back o always clear so they will pass. rip to the dead cry cry
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by bongosman: 6:25pm On Jul 13, 2013
Kai,my ibo kinsmen don die finish oo
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Heartymaureen: 6:34pm On Jul 13, 2013
Bad Government.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by bestview: 6:34pm On Jul 13, 2013
ceejay675: Dis is a false information....I was dia live wen it hapnd....I was at asaba park....dangote truck didn't kill anyone...it was d 1st truck that killed 6 not 7...2 women n 4 men....it was really terrible...have not seen anytin like dat in my life b4....d way dia hands legs n head cut off...God hv mercy....government shd do sumtin abt dat upper iweka...d way bus drivers n lorries drivers drive..dy drive wit full speed knowin fully well dat d road is nt gud n peeps always gather along d road

The entire stretch of the road is nylon tarred clean and neat from Head Bridge-Upper Iweka-Ziks-Junction-Nkpor-Toll gate. The problem we have is reckless drivers mostly trucks from the north and SW who take advantage of the good expressway to speed on top of high gear.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Yeske2(m): 6:44pm On Jul 13, 2013
What an irony! I stay along Oguta road yet only got to know about this on net. RIP to the dead but these drivers sha..... . . . .
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by nairaarea: 6:44pm On Jul 13, 2013
GOD HAVE MERCY
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Godson201333(m): 6:47pm On Jul 13, 2013
But i thought they said Dangote drivers are PHD holders?Every time its Dangote truck na wa oo
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by bebechuks: 6:50pm On Jul 13, 2013
Na wa oooh wot is happening?
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Nollyboy147(m): 6:52pm On Jul 13, 2013
Gossshhhhhh!! What a sad news,so that's the end of the victims life,R I P joor
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 13, 2013
Rip to them.......
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Effwazobia: 7:01pm On Jul 13, 2013
cupid4ig: the problem is not government its the truck drivers they know very well upper iweka is always congested but they will keep speeding all the way from army barracks down to that toronto hospital thats when they will start applying their brakes. sometimes i just wonder if these truck driver have ordinary common sense. once am driving and see them coming from back o always clear so they will pass. rip to the dead cry cry

WRONG. The problem is the government. These drivers know that anything goes, that country dey lawless. If you catch them speading (there is not even a law against speeding in this country) they can bribe their way out of it. Must I remind you that the purpose of government is to make, interprete and enforce the law. So you still think say the problem no be goverment?
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 13, 2013
sad sad
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by MASTERM(m): 7:28pm On Jul 13, 2013
Effwazobia: People keep commenting and saying government should do something. When will you guys wake up? We are on our own, nothing is working. No government in this so called one nigeria. Spliting the damn country is the only thing that will work. If not, come 10 years from now, we will still be wallowing in our usual illusions of God this God that or Government this or that. Your government officials are lining their pockets, they've bought up the whole UAE, and you still think they care? Bottom line, we need to go our separate ways because whatever we have now is not working
The only Way out oh.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Greatken007(m): 7:53pm On Jul 13, 2013
MIND YOU....THE ARTICULATED VEHICLE WHOSE BRAKE HAD FAILD DOES NT BELONG TO DANGOTE,BUT THE VEHICLE THAT FAILED BRAKE HIT DANGOTE TRAILER,THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS THAT THE DANGOTE TRAILER REALLY SAVED LIVES BECAUSE THE VEHICLE WHOSE BRAKE HAD FAILED USED DANGOTE TRAILER AS BRAKE TO PREVENT MORE HAVOCK..YESTERDAY WAS MY FIRST TIME TO SEE TRAILER COMING BEHIDE ME WITH PPLE SHOUTING,HW ME AND FRIEND MANAGED TO TAKE TO OUR HEELS I CANT EXPLAIN..A BOY WHO WAS SELLING PURE WATER ACTUAL STOLE A PHONE FROM ONE OF THE VICTIMS THAT WAS EVEN MY GREATEST SHOCK.I DONT PRAY FOR ANY OF US HERE TO WITNESS SUCH SCENE EVER IN OUR LIFE TIME.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by eyescue(m): 7:55pm On Jul 13, 2013
Sincerely speaking, this kind of story can never end especially with the issue of dangote truck involving in accident untill the government stops big truck from operating during the day time. But i doubt the possibility of it since the Almighty Dangote is involved.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by ACM10: 8:21pm On Jul 13, 2013
Zona.com:
[size=28pt]govt should restrict their activity to night times. RIP to the dead[/size]
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 13, 2013
When the road was not good, we said it was cos of bad road. Now the road is good, we have more accidents than when the road was bad. If they ply at night, it will also be bad cos they will sleep off on steering. I just wonder the best way to stop these accidents.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by ugoflenzy: 9:11pm On Jul 13, 2013
I thought dangote trucks are brand new trucks why all this failed braked n the rest n moro over are ‎​D̶̲̥̅̊ drivers not professional
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by ellawify: 9:27pm On Jul 13, 2013
Wat a sad news! RIP to d deaceased nd may God grant their loved ones d fortitude to bear dis terrible loss. Dats y its necessary 4 us to commit our lives in d hands of d almighty cos him alone can protect our going out n coming in....
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by mrvictor: 11:22pm On Jul 13, 2013
Dangote again?
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Johniky19(m): 7:54am On Jul 14, 2013
i was there when all those things were happening. At upper iweka down fly over. That place is a very rugged and hot road all the time. BCus the problem of those things is buses will be brokeing roads everywhere.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by eaglechild: 10:14am On Jul 14, 2013
Greatken007: MIND YOU....THE ARTICULATED VEHICLE WHOSE BRAKE HAD FAILD DOES NT BELONG TO DANGOTE,BUT THE VEHICLE THAT FAILED BRAKE HIT DANGOTE TRAILER,THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS THAT THE DANGOTE TRAILER REALLY SAVED LIVES BECAUSE THE VEHICLE WHOSE BRAKE HAD FAILED USED DANGOTE TRAILER AS BRAKE TO PREVENT MORE HAVOCK..YESTERDAY WAS MY FIRST TIME TO SEE TRAILER COMING BEHIDE ME WITH PPLE SHOUTING,HW ME AND FRIEND MANAGED TO TAKE TO OUR HEELS I CANT EXPLAIN..A BOY WHO WAS SELLING PURE WATER ACTUAL STOLE A PHONE FROM ONE OF THE VICTIMS THAT WAS EVEN MY GREATEST SHOCK.I DONT PRAY FOR ANY OF US HERE TO WITNESS SUCH SCENE EVER IN OUR LIFE TIME.
Very sad.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by eaglechild: 10:22am On Jul 14, 2013
mercylicious: When the road was not good, we said it was cos of bad road. Now the road is good, we have more accidents than when the road was bad. If they ply at night, it will also be bad cos they will sleep off on steering. I just wonder the best way to stop these accidents.
Very strict licensing of truck drivers by the FRSC will definitely go a long way.
I can't forget one trailer that was attempting to overtake another one down hill at a blind corner on a single lane. It was just a miracle that saved the oncoming vehicles (about 5) including me as we were literally run off the narrow road.
Now tell me if the driver is human? Blind corner/ down hill/ single lane/ trailer.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Samgreguc(m): 10:49am On Jul 14, 2013
OMG! The rate at which tankers/trailers causes accident is becoming alarming.... I suggest the should make the journey at night and not day time.
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Uwakuwak(f): 6:06pm On Jul 14, 2013
God be merciful to us, make us prepared at all time

R
I
p
to the dead
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Smiler11(f): 9:09pm On Jul 14, 2013
the accident was so terrible dat I spent more than one hour on hold up after d accident. the scene was horrible but RIP to d dead one's
Re: 7 Killed As Petrol-Tanker, Trailers Crash In Onitsha by Donchyke39(m): 7:24pm On Jul 15, 2013
ceejay675: Dis is a false information....I was dia live wen it hapnd....I was at asaba park....dangote truck didn't kill anyone...it was d 1st truck that killed 6 not 7...2 women n 4 men....it was really terrible...have not seen anytin like dat in my life b4....d way dia hands legs n head cut off...God hv mercy....government shd do sumtin abt dat upper iweka...d way bus drivers n lorries drivers drive..dy drive wit full speed knowin fully well dat d road is nt gud n peeps always gather along d road
thanks for the true information.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Full Speech Of President Buhari At The AU Summit / OMG, Peoples Injured When SUV Chased By Texas Police Rolls Over / Governor Rochas Okorocha Covers Media Room Hub Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.