Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) (30315 Views)

Throwback Picture Of Nnamdi Azikiwe And Nkrumah In The 1960s / Throwback Picture Of Bukola Saraki And His Father In 1960s / Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe Campaigns In Style In The 1960s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nku5: 10:58pm On Jul 13, 2013
Rooneyboy: Just one question

Did we have coloured cameras in the 60's

I really doubt this pic oooo.

.........To me, simply the thoughts and imagination of an artist .

That's alll

Ody-Ody:
The picture is a fake... There were no coloured cameras by then

Nah guys do a little research. There were colour photographs taken as far back as world war 1.

5 Likes

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by iamdjizzy: 10:58pm On Jul 13, 2013
S/O to d camera man for coloured pictures ooo.......bt if it is tru sha, Niger delta militants wia
Fightin for dia ryt #God bless dia hussle
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 13, 2013
Discovery of oil is just a curse upon this nation!!!
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by walexbiz(m): 11:01pm On Jul 13, 2013
nku5: I stumbled across this picture of a village taken in a village in the niger-delta before the environmental degradation set in.

Notice how clean the water was then. I can imagine the kind of fish they would have been feasting on back then. That part of the country also has good soil and used to be heavy on agriculture back then.

I THIINK THIS PIX SHOULD BE IN THE 70S OR EARLY 80S
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by armyofone(m): 11:02pm On Jul 13, 2013
Even the villages that oil didn't screw up, many left for Lagos like people left Detroit.
As a little kid visiting grand parents, I have some memories of my mom's village just like the pix above: very clean river bank with whitish sand, clear water, quiet and beautiful homes etc. I was told it is no longer like that now as almost everyone left.
It is really no longer at ease in Nigeria.
Uwa di egwu.

1 Like

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Rooneyboy(m): 11:02pm On Jul 13, 2013
nku5:

Nah guys do a little research. There were colour photographs taken as far back as world war 1.

Wow !

Are u for real
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Youngtekkey(m): 11:04pm On Jul 13, 2013
na wa ooooo i just which this place could be better like the old gone days
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Nightshift(m): 11:06pm On Jul 13, 2013
The mangroves of Niger-Delta were once like the shores of Trinidad and Tobago, the beaches of Bahamas or Barbados of today - pure like in the days of Adam and Eve!

1 Like

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Pontaboki: 11:09pm On Jul 13, 2013
VoodooDoll: It's a pity that their leaders are mostly too corrupt, incompetent and too bethroned to GEJ and PDP (and similar wasted politicians) to reverse the current tragedy.
Okay is there any other thing?,after abusing Gej,is there any other meaningful thing you can say?,I just Dey pity cos come May 29th 2015,this same Gej is going back and you can only come to this forum and rant.If you risk showing your face,6ft becomes your fate.

1 Like

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by OdyOdy(m): 11:15pm On Jul 13, 2013
nku5:

ok... yea you're right... saw some 1914 coloured pix on wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Taj_Mahal_1921.JPG
But actually, this pix looks more like an artistic job... editing and stuffs like that. No proofs to your claims anyway... but if it truly was.... Hmmmmmm!!! Naija!
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nku5: 11:15pm On Jul 13, 2013
Rooneyboy:

Wow !

Are u for real

Yes i am. This is a french soldier in a trench in world war 1

2 Likes

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Nightshift(m): 11:18pm On Jul 13, 2013
Nigeria' s unfortunate corruption culture has oped our environment for abuse and degradation, especially in the oil producing communities. Tropics like ours is a paradise ( minus the mosquitoes) if the environment is nurtured and protected.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by BEDMON1900: 11:20pm On Jul 13, 2013
Nairalanders does not even want to think once before tagging a comment to a post.....if i may ask,has there been colour picture printers in nigeria in 1960's..Haba Gbogbo wa ko ni omo oko nah
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by OdyOdy(m): 11:20pm On Jul 13, 2013
FIRST COLOURED PHOTO OF A MAN (1896) shocked
http://benbeck.co.uk/firsts/photo3.htm

2 Likes

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nku5: 11:21pm On Jul 13, 2013
Ody-Ody:

ok... yea you're right... saw some 1914 coloured pix on wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Taj_Mahal_1921.JPG
But actually, this pix looks more like an artistic job... editing and stuffs like that. No proofs to your claims anyway... but if it truly was.... Hmmmmmm!!! Naija!

The printing process in the past was so rich that it was very rich in texture and quality. Colour pics were a novelty and were big on quality, done by professionals. Unlike the nonsense dpi calculations from our home printers of today.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nku5: 11:22pm On Jul 13, 2013
@Ody Ody - Abi u don see am now. cool
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by OdyOdy(m): 11:23pm On Jul 13, 2013
nku5:

The printing process in the past was so rich that it was very rich in texture and quality. Colour pics were a novelty and were big on quality, done by professionals. Unlike the nonsense dpi calculations from our home printers of today.
Yea i noticed.... Thanks bringing to my knowledge
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by BEDMON1900: 11:23pm On Jul 13, 2013
nku5:

taken in nigeria or what are you saying
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nku5: 11:27pm On Jul 13, 2013
BEDMON1900: Nairalanders does not even want to think once before tagging a comment to a post.....if i may ask,has there been colour picture printers in nigeria in 1960's..Haba Gbogbo wa ko ni omo oko nah

Bros plenty colour pictures dey o. Even the biafran airforce press corps took colour pictures during the war. See Carl Count Von Rosen, Willy Murray-Bruce (the black guy) and a couple of foreign pilots during the war.

1 Like

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by antartica(m): 11:33pm On Jul 13, 2013
It doesn't matter what colour the picture is,that area could have been more pristine,fertileand Lushly green than what the picture is portraying and the waste ground it is today.

Make a picture of the it in your own mind. A place where oyinbo has not been before. A paradise.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Tinyemeka(m): 11:36pm On Jul 13, 2013
nku5: I stumbled across this picture of a village taken in a village in the niger-delta before the environmental degradation set in.

Notice how clean the water was then. I can imagine the kind of fish they would have been feasting on back then. That part of the country also has good soil and used to be heavy on agriculture back then.
How is that the Niger-Delta? I don't see any Mangrove swamp and the calabashes look like those used up north in Hausaland.

I stand corrected though.

The source of your pic would be helpful. delcampe.net is an auctions website.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by collynzo2(m): 11:39pm On Jul 13, 2013
When will stories like this with fake pics stop making front page? The other day it was pics of prisoners in a Malawian prison and the OP claimed it was a Nigerian prison. Daft Nairalanders believed him.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by charlesm91(m): 11:41pm On Jul 13, 2013
Thank goodness I wasn't born in them 60's era. Life would've been so boring. But otherwise, a very traditional and beautiful setting of the African village
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 13, 2013
The vegetation is not that of the Niger Delta,we dnt have a Sandy soil like that. It looks more of a picture from senegal. The vegetation is mangrove and not palm. Segun if na me u no go post see as them dey lie and na front page because I no be yoruba. Rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by sobastical: 11:54pm On Jul 13, 2013
Fake!
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by heo88(m): 11:56pm On Jul 13, 2013
If the photo is real, and I have no reason to think otherwise, then all I can say is nawaaa ooooo

See real, real juxtaposition between then and how things are nowadays... smh...
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by kitakoli(m): 12:10am On Jul 14, 2013
nku5:

Imagine if we had through trade managed to obtain oyibo man's technology, managed to stay uncolonised and trade with them... Lots of what ifs
it shud ve been riily 9ice
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Vansnickers: 12:17am On Jul 14, 2013
This looks like a Picture from the late 70s or early 80s.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by elnath(m): 12:22am On Jul 14, 2013
This picture is not a real life picture. It is an artist's impression. Look at it closely. Beside the fact that it is a color-picture purportedly taken in the '50s, it is still too beautiful for a riverbed.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by comrChris(m): 12:45am On Jul 14, 2013
n some villages r still like dis in dat part of d country,dnt ask me wia
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by tpia5: 12:47am On Jul 14, 2013
any evidence the first picture is what the op says it is?
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nizelgirl(f): 1:01am On Jul 14, 2013
Which of the Niger Delta, is it the onei came from or another? cos that picture is fake.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aregbesola Celebrates Eid-el Fitr With Osun People In A Special Way (photos) / Sex Scandal In The Us:3 Reps May Step Aside / Bayelsa Election: APC's Lyon In Early Lead As INEC Declares Results In Six LGAs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.