Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,228 members, 7,822,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) (30319 Views)

Throwback Picture Of Nnamdi Azikiwe And Nkrumah In The 1960s / Throwback Picture Of Bukola Saraki And His Father In 1960s / Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe Campaigns In Style In The 1960s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 14, 2013
Seun, Are your mods dumb or what? There are too much fake stories on NL frontpage and it's annoying. Stop playing on my intelligence, not all of us are stuupid to accept everything you wanna shove up our throat!

Even if this pic was taken before 'oil' (which is untrue), how do we know that's even Nigeria? with just one pic? Mtcheew
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 14, 2013
Afam4eva: You don't just post a picture and tell us it's the Niger Delta. Let's see a source from where you got the pictures. That village could have been anywhere. There's no guarantee that that place is even Nigeria.

okay, I don see sey no be all seun's mod dumb

*checks section of the thread again*

Afam this is your section! So how did this get to frontpage when you know it's a ridiculously fake picture?
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nku5: 8:00am On Jul 14, 2013
naptu2:

I've stated many times on nairaland that I often visit NNP 1960-1980. There are many nairalanders who are members of the group. Some have even copied my pictures from nairaland (pictures I took with my own camera) and posted them on NNP 1960-1980.

Interesting. I never would have guessed so many people on this site are members. You must have a rich collection of pics. Consider an exhibition abeg, if you haven't already.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nora544: 8:06am On Jul 14, 2013
I know that this picture is tru and real, I see an exhibition, it was last year from niger and oil and it was also about Ken Saro Wiwa who was the first environment protection and human rights activist and he fights against shell because he know what would happen with the country, for this he lost his life.

I see a documentary in my country about the niger delta about the past and how it is now about what the oil make with this part of nigeria, and i hear people speaking that there is no fish and the water looks bad and smell bad.

Oil and religion is the malediction of nigeria.

1 Like

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by hustla(m): 8:14am On Jul 14, 2013
yinchar:
Did you actually meant tapping OIL in Ilesha?....
Bruhahahahaha Hahahahahaha
Lmao grin
Did you actually meant tapping OIL in Ilesha?....
Bruhahahahaha Hahahahahaha
Lmao

meant? oh boi ur English is ghen ghen
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by victorD3: 8:23am On Jul 14, 2013
VoodooDoll: It's a pity that their leaders are mostly too corrupt, incompetent and too bethroned to GEJ and PDP (and similar wasted politicians) to reverse the current tragedy.

I can see how developed the north is even after ruling the country for over 30yrs and how villages in the west has all been transformed by the ACN governors.

Note: GEJ will perform if the North take away their Boko Haram and West stop hitting up the polity.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by naptu2: 8:34am On Jul 14, 2013
This is directed at those who say "there were no coloured pictures in the 1960s". How do you explain the pictures below?

naptu2: Ereko Market decorated for the visit of Queen Elizabeth II in 1956

naptu2: Oba Adeniji Adele II (Oba of Lagos) introduces his chiefs to Queen Elizabeth II

naptu2: President Nnamdi Benjamin Azikiwe

naptu2: Chief Festus Samuel Okotie-Eboh (the 1966 coup leaders cited this kind of flamboyance as one of the reasons for staging their coup)

naptu2: Nnamdi Azikiwe in 1959

1 Like

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by mygee33(m): 8:35am On Jul 14, 2013
This picture is not genuine nevertheless, One is still reminded of the devastation and wan tom degradation of our environment occasioned by Oil mineral exploration.
The mere fact that all states will fold their hands and "wait" for monthly allocations from oil is de benchmark of corruption in this country.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nku5: 8:36am On Jul 14, 2013
Na wa for Nigerians o. Una see slaughtered cow with plenty of flesh and start to fight over bones.

To those following the herd to chant "fake fake" I'm not from the niger delta so I have nothing to gain by putting up a fake pic. The picture as already stated on this thread is from an esteemed historical group on facebook moderated by elite historians all above the age of 50.

The essence of this thread was to highlight the dark side of oil and all its dollars as it has affected the region where it was first discovered.

1 Like

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by naptu2: 8:42am On Jul 14, 2013
Note, all the pictures I posted above (apart from the picture of Zik at State House) were taken in the 1950s. There were movietone news reels that were shown in cinemas in the 1950s that were in "technicolor", so I don't see why people would say that there were no coloured still photographs in the 1960s.

1 Like

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Afam4eva(m): 8:58am On Jul 14, 2013
speedyboi:

okay, I don see sey no be all seun's mod dumb

*checks section of the thread again*

Afam this is your section! So how did this get to frontpage when you know it's a ridiculously fake picture?
The supermods are responsible for getting threads on the frontpage. The mods of this thread could allow this topic slide even without a source because in the process of discussions, someone could disprove the pictures with evidence.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by CAPTAIN44: 8:59am On Jul 14, 2013
using fake pic to condemn corruption waaao 9ja 4 show.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by omoredia: 9:05am On Jul 14, 2013
Past leaders like Buhari and co are to be blamed. A good leader would leave good successors!
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Genovese(m): 9:14am On Jul 14, 2013
Very serene atmosphere...no wonder they live longer then
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by dAesthete(m): 9:18am On Jul 14, 2013
I think d pic is real but it may not hv bn taken in d 60's.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by blackbeau1(f): 9:21am On Jul 14, 2013
Things were really different back then
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Ibime(m): 9:23am On Jul 14, 2013
The colour of the water is not necessarily an indication of its cleanliness.

This water is algae free otherwise it would have the normal dark-green colour

Also no mud in the water (transported sediment) hence no brown colour

This is a saltwater river, not the Niger coming down but the Atlantic coming up.

2 Likes

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Nobody: 9:23am On Jul 14, 2013
.smiley
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by amacastel: 9:26am On Jul 14, 2013
The greatest mistake of nigieria is 1960 independent cos we are not ripe for it if we hav allow the white men to rule for a little while it would av been beta for us cos their won't be the civil war the will even develop this country more and our mind sets and behaviour would av improve more look most of the good and standard amenity we hav is done by the colonial masters Eg niger bridge,apapa sea port,ph port and odas ,and if they are the 1 that discover our oil they will chop yes bt they will use the money to improve our schs,hospital they will even pay youths And the aged infacT nigeria wiuld av been a beta place now no body will be looking for a county to go and hustle in but the independent put us into slavery of our own brothers instaed of them to the oil money to develop our county which belong to us and them they siphon it to swiss account and enrich other country.to me the greastet mistake of nigeria is 1960 independent.white men build hospital,roads,provide education @ plter of gold for us without oil without we would av been beta than south African and Even sme western county.I wipe for this country
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Ninilowo(m): 9:30am On Jul 14, 2013
Rooneyboy: Just one question

Did we have coloured cameras in the 60's

I really doubt this pic oooo.

.........To me, simply the thoughts and imagination of an artist .

That's alll
Gbam! I stamp it!
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by naptu2: 9:39am On Jul 14, 2013
Ninilowo:
Gbam! I stamp it!

Now scroll up and look at the pictures I posted on this page.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by ibkgab001: 9:49am On Jul 14, 2013
10,000,000 likes
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by biafranqueen: 9:58am On Jul 14, 2013
naptu2: This is directed at those who say "there were no coloured pictures in the 1960s". How do you explain the pictures below?

don't mind these 90 born babies
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by biafranqueen: 10:01am On Jul 14, 2013
naptu2: Note, all the pictures I posted above (apart from the picture of Zik at State House) were taken in the 1950s. There were movietone news reels that were shown in cinemas in the 1950s that were in "technicolor", so I don't see why people would say that there were no coloured still photographs in the 1960s.
people are still saying pics fake after you posted color pics from the 50 s shocked
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by papil: 10:06am On Jul 14, 2013
Manbim: believe me or not,this pics is fake.
I thought as much cos back then I don't think we had coloured pictures rather black & white
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Samgreguc(m): 10:22am On Jul 14, 2013
Beautiful!
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by favinvest: 10:29am On Jul 14, 2013
The Niger deltan leaderships ( governors to senators to councillors to even the Niger-delta militants ) are all bad and very corrupt.

From GEJ to dickson to ameachi to uduagha etc are the major causes of the present poverty of the Niger-deltan people.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by orekayode: 10:30am On Jul 14, 2013

That's alll

Its not fake. it was the ability to produce colored outputs that was non existent in that era. Photo films are colored
but the pictures came out in white and black then because printers or whatever equipment was used then to print couldnt
portray those colors. I say these as a student of photography and science. You can look it up if you dont believe me
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Policewoman(f): 10:30am On Jul 14, 2013
nku5: I stumbled across this picture of a village taken in a village in the niger-delta before the environmental degradation set in.

Notice how clean the water was then. I can imagine the kind of fish they would have been feasting on back then. That part of the country also has good soil and used to be heavy on agriculture back then.
Wow. This was the serene environment our President was born in.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nora544: 10:33am On Jul 14, 2013
papil: I thought as much cos back then I don't think we had coloured pictures rather black & white

there are color picture from nigeria, i can give you a second name susanne wenge the white youroba, yorouba name Adunni Olurisa, there is a foundation in my country and you can see pictures about her life since 1950 in nigeria and she died 2009 in nigeria in Oshogbo

There is an other man from germany he is a good friend of Soyinka who has also color photos from nigeria from the 60's he visit Soyinka when he was in prison

Why you cannot beleave that this color photos are not a fake.
I know that in the cinema there where colormovies also in the 40's
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Policewoman(f): 10:34am On Jul 14, 2013

That's alll
There were even coloured cameras in the late 40's, 50's and 60's. I have seen some world war 2 videos and pictures in color. So my friend, stop saying what you don't know.

2 Likes

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by collynzo2(m): 10:36am On Jul 14, 2013
The source of this image calls it 'a Yoruba village' so someone is lieing here, and it's a painting.
www.delcampe.net/page/item/id%2C223791859%2Cvar%2Ccp-Ref-JP-T915--NIGERIA---a--YORUBA--Village%2Clanguage%2CE.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Approves Payment Of Pension To Retired Biafra Police / Senate Committee Visits Masters Energy Industrial City Abia State (Photos) / Rotimi Amaechi Reacts To Violent APC Congress, Mocks Wike (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.