Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) (30320 Views)

Throwback Picture Of Nnamdi Azikiwe And Nkrumah In The 1960s / Throwback Picture Of Bukola Saraki And His Father In 1960s / Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe Campaigns In Style In The 1960s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Policewoman(f): 10:40am On Jul 14, 2013
nku5:

Yes i am. This is a french soldier in a trench in world war 1
That is not true. They were even still perfecting the black and white camera by 1914. The coloured caera came in i think around the 30s or so. I'm pretty sure because i have seen a coloured movie on TCM, The wizard of Oz, shot in 1938 in technicolor.

1 Like

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by mediachirps(m): 10:43am On Jul 14, 2013
at the time oil was first discovered, I doubt it if there was any thing like color photographs, those pics looks more like art impressions.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Policewoman(f): 10:50am On Jul 14, 2013
This goes to show that we have many naive children in Nairaland. How can somebody tell me there were no coloured pictures in Nigeria in the 60's and even in the 50's?

1 Like

Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by collynzo2(m): 10:59am On Jul 14, 2013
collynzo2: The source of this image calls it 'a Yoruba village' so someone is lieing here, and it's a painting.
www.delcampe.net/page/item/id%2C223791859%2Cvar%2Ccp-Ref-JP-T915--NIGERIA---a--YORUBA--Village%2Clanguage%2CE.html
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Rooneyboy(m): 11:02am On Jul 14, 2013
orekayode:

Its not fake. it was the ability to produce colored outputs that was non existent in that era. Photo films are colored
but the pictures came out in white and black then because printers or whatever equipment was used then to print couldnt
portray those colors. I say these as a student of photography and science. You can look it up if you dont believe me

Thank u for educating me bro, I'll check it up right away.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by justhelp(m): 11:04am On Jul 14, 2013
@op you are one of the people that are fake in Nigeria, how dare you lie to million of people in this forum, picture taken in the 60s must be black and white, where ie the source? Please be carefull and don't come here to full people
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:16am On Jul 14, 2013
nku5: I stumbled across this picture of a village taken in a village in the niger-delta before the environmental degradation set in.

Notice how clean the water was then. I can imagine the kind of fish they would have been feasting on back then. That part of the country also has good soil and used to be heavy on agriculture back then.
na PHOTOSHOP!
*jumps into bus headin 2wards Maiduguri en-route Otuoke* grin
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Dibiachukwu: 11:16am On Jul 14, 2013
Those who leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity (rev 13:10-18)
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Mieye007: 11:40am On Jul 14, 2013
obakovich: The vegetation is not that of the Niger Delta,we dnt have a Sandy soil like that. It looks more of a picture from senegal. The vegetation is mangrove and not palm. Segun if na me u no go post see as them dey lie and na front page because I no be yoruba. Rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who is this blockheaded guy and what is he talking about?
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Mieye007: 11:45am On Jul 14, 2013
otanaworld: As a young Niger Delta boy even in the early 70s such good looking natural environment existed in the Niger Delta.
1. I remembered going to pick periwinkles in the swarms meeting blue coloured water that is reflecting the blue skies in a hot afternoon like that.
2. I remembered especially on a rainy day and especially at night going to creeks with only Calabash and bare hands coming home with good catch of fishes
3. I remembered using such clean (so to say) sea waters tasting salty to soak my garri padling my canoe while returning from Kaa or Iyanaba market
4. I remembered not bothering about tap water every morning to bath to school but jumping into this river like you do in this modern day swimming pole, wash mysely come out robe high scenting pomade and off to school
5. I remembered having my canoe capsided on the sea and I swarm to safety without any poluted water with oil to choke me
6. But I also remembered afterwards on Sobiekiri river many canoes with people on the water, someone mistakenly threw a cigaret stub on the water and it caught fire and so many people were burnt to dead including good swimmers who jumped into the river to see if they could dive past the burning oil on the water
7. No doubt about that picture
Q.E.D
Pls tell these fools who hinge their suvival and that of their offsprings on the wealth and sufferings of the Niger Delta people.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nora544: 11:53am On Jul 14, 2013
collynzo2: The source of this image calls it 'a Yoruba village' so someone is lieing here, and it's a painting.
www.delcampe.net/page/item/id%2C223791859%2Cvar%2Ccp-Ref-JP-T915--NIGERIA---a--YORUBA--Village%2Clanguage%2CE.html

Sorry that is no painting that is like photos look at that time. I can show you so many photos from that time and why you couldnot beliefe.

http://pinterest.com/ewserk/vintage-color-photos/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_photography
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Abagworo(m): 12:00pm On Jul 14, 2013
Those arguing whether its artist impression or filmed photograph should rather face the reason for the post. Being an artists impression or painting doesn't discredit the reality which we all know. The Niger Delta was very beautiful, green and fertile as recent as the 70s. What has happened in Niger Delta is a microcosm of Nigeria as a whole. Sokoto was once a green and beautiful savannah but today has suffered from desertification. The Lagos waters which are dirty today used to be clear and blue in the past.

We should all demand for a good leader that will restore Nigeria and if possible allow every State manage their resources. That way, there will be enough money for Niger Deltans to clean up the accumulated mess while the Sokoto people will explore their uranium and use it to restore their lost vegetation.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by leuelliot(m): 12:12pm On Jul 14, 2013
You have Google at your finger tips, why not run a simple search to see if color cameras where available in the 60's or not.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by barikay: 1:38pm On Jul 14, 2013
VoodooDoll: It's a pity that their leaders are mostly too corrupt, incompetent and too bethroned to GEJ and PDP (and similar wasted politicians) to reverse the current tragedy.
gej that came jst yesterday or d northern military regime. God wil nt 4give u all
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by donchisel: 2:35pm On Jul 14, 2013
nku5: I stumbled across this picture of a village taken in a village in the niger-delta before the environmental degradation set in.

Notice how clean the water was then. I can imagine the kind of fish they would have been feasting on back then. That part of the country also has good soil and used to be heavy on agriculture back then.

Just wondering how coloured camera got to Niger Delta Village in 1960. How many coloured Cameras were in existence at that time?
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by naptu2: 2:40pm On Jul 14, 2013
donchisel:

Just wondering how coloured camera got to Niger Delta Village in 1960. How many coloured Cameras were in existence at that time?

Answer: There were a lot of American and European photographers who went on "tours of Africa". It was very fashionable at the time. Take one example: google Eliot Elisofon.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by naptu2: 3:11pm On Jul 14, 2013
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by MdzoughAdi(m): 4:19pm On Jul 14, 2013
I doubt this is 1960 because of the coloured picture.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by liyalla(m): 6:43pm On Jul 14, 2013
I see different-look at d beauty in d river and how d beautiful trees stand around d people,dat is nature, dat is d breath of fresh air. But "they" stole that from the people.N/B they(villages) had a better life then compared to now
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by IME1: 8:22pm On Jul 14, 2013
na wa, we leave topic come dey analyze whether picture na true or painting or coloured?!
for me the bottom line is that there was a country
there a Niger-Delta that had Hawaii-like or Caribbean-like water front and environment before oil pollution spoilt it.
the people living around the Niger Delta then had 'coloured' eyes i mean eyes which could identify 'colour' so?
if it was drawn it was done from what someone saw real life.
or
if it was taken with a camera- fuji, kodak, canon whatever, it showed that Niger Delta looked clean, healthy and serene before oil exploration started which has caused water, land and air pollution in the whole region.
sad, i smh for all who caused this to happen. i pray to God to restore balance and grant development to this region, whether the government or leaders do it or not, like it or not, in Jesus name amen.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by 9jakool: 12:10am On Jul 15, 2013
Oil pollution is a big problem for Nigeria. The oil companies keep on exploring and exploiting just to get meet world's demand for energy and electricity. I wonder that even though nigeria is Africa's largest production of oil, countries like Mauritius and S.Africa are the largest consumption of energy and electricity in Africa and the government is able to meet demands. Remember this 2 countries R not oil producing countries. I understand S.Africa but Mauritus(a tiny island with a population of 1.3 million) consuming more energy than Nigeria(a country of roughly 170 million). Only 2 of our 6 referneries R still working and this 2 R working less than 40% capacity. We had to transport/export(using money) large amount of our crude oil to Niger to be refined(using money) , paid the marketers(using money) and then import it back to Nigeria(using money). At the end of the day all U get is subsidy and plenty of tax.The little profit the nation made of exporting to other foreign nations will be use as pocket money 4 many gov. Officials leading to corruption. In all of OPEC countries, Nigeria is the only country where oil is the most expensive. I heard oil was discovered in Lagos recently. 2 years from now U will find the bloody, dirty oil infesting the lagoon waters of Lagos. Nigeria should learn from Ghana with 70% of its energy coming from that one dam in the lake Volta and Ghana was able to export electricity to neighboring Togo. U guys remember that plane that had to made an emergency landing in Togo because there was no light at the MM int. airp in Lagos. And U remember the 3 fisherman from The Niger Delta that sued Shell for polluting their fishing grounds, I was a little disappointed when they lost. Nigeria should learn from when the U.S sued BP billions of dollars and not only did they have to clean up their oil mess, they also have to give billions of dollars in compesation for the people living in the areas that was affected. More Work needs to be done about the enviromental pollution and finding more altanative renewable energy source. I am not totally against oil but I am against wastefulness , pollution and corruption. Nigeria as a whole is a beautiful country from the start but gradually tearing apart due to bad governance. sad
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by biafranqueen: 1:03am On Jul 15, 2013
Abagworo: Those arguing whether its artist impression or filmed photograph should rather face the reason for the post. Being an artists impression or painting doesn't discredit the reality which we all know. The Niger Delta was very beautiful, green and fertile as recent as the 70s. What has happened in Niger Delta is a microcosm of Nigeria as a whole. Sokoto was once a green and beautiful savannah but today has suffered from desertification. The Lagos waters which are dirty today used to be clear and blue in the past.

We should all demand for a good leader that will restore Nigeria and if possible allow every State manage their resources. That way, there will be enough money for Niger Deltans to clean up the accumulated mess while the Sokoto people will explore their uranium and use it to restore their lost vegetation.
they are all skirting the truth and reality we are destroying the enviroment
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by biafranqueen: 1:04am On Jul 15, 2013
Policewoman: This goes to show that we have many naive children in Nairaland. How can somebody tell me there were no coloured pictures in Nigeria in the 60's and even in the 50's?
Nne forgive them!
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 15, 2013

Its not the Niger Delta. Many of you don't know why some waters are blue.If you did, you won't expect and believe blue waters in the Niger Delta.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by tpia5: 12:21pm On Jul 15, 2013
Not everywhere in nigeria has beaches.

Parts of the coast are covered with mangrove swamps and other parts are the niger delta which is where the river niger empties into the sea through a series of outlets.
Re: A Niger-Delta Village In The 1960s (before Oil) by nku5: 8:52pm On May 07, 2016
nora544:

Sorry that is no painting that is like photos look at that time. I can show you so many photos from that time and why you couldnot beliefe.
http://pinterest.com/ewserk/vintage-color-photos/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_photography

interesting links

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Borgu Leaders Meet Buhari, Demand State Creation (photos) / LIVE: NBM Of Africa 43rd National Convention & 16th Annual Lecture / President Buhari Meets With Ministers Over ASUU Strike (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.