Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million (22460 Views)

How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? / Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Okijajuju: 4:24pm On Jul 18, 2013
manie: A friend who works with UBA Capital invested 4 million Naira on the shares of UBA in January 2012. He planned to hold the stock for 36 months that is till January 2015. The average purchase price of the stock was between N2.35k and N2.50k.

The guy got a dividend of 702k from his stock in June 2013, after which he sold 90% 0f his shareholding for about 10.5 million Naira. With the sale of 90% of his UBA shares and the dividend received he has over 11 million Naira. He is now contemplating what to do with the money considering the various alternatives that are available.

Firstly he does not have a country home in his home town, that is Odogbolu in Ogun State. His younger brothers all have a country home at Odogbolu and he is the only one left out among the 3 of them. He is therefore thinking of using the money to build a house at Odogbolu.

Secondly he has a fenced plot of land at Ajah, he stopped in 2009 at the foundation stage. He is considering using the 11 million Naira to build a moderately finished 2 units of three bedroom flats that will give a minimum rental income of 1.1 Million Naira.I currently charge my tenants 550k per annum, he may decide to charge same or higher rate.

Thirdly, he believes stocks like Zenith Bank, FBN, UBA, UBA Capital, Access Bank and ETI are currently undervalued, investing in this stocks should give an average dividend yield of 6.5% is over 700k and an upside potential of 30% to 40% that is 3.3 million Naira to 4.4 million Naira in the next 12 months.

What will do you if you are in Supo's shoes.

Country Home: Waste of money... The value of properties in the village are next to shiite. Even rent value is very low. Especially if he doesnt live in the village..

Lagos House: Best Idea... Property value in Lagos is astronomically high and would bring back a higher yeild on investment.

Stocks: A big gamble.. If he is careful, he stands to make more from this. But the down side is that stocks have no guarantee.. I would say invest it in fixed interest treasury bills rather than stocks..

Money Doubling: Best option ever..

Baba Ijebu: Second best option.

[/b]
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by tellwisdom: 4:26pm On Jul 18, 2013
manie:

That is a good idea. But I do not think that 8 million will complete the project. I think completing the 2 units of 3 bedroom flats and letting it out is a better idea.

By completing the house, he can let each flat out for 550k to 600k per annum. I just got a new tenant that paid 2 years rent advance. If he can get 2 years rent advance from each flat that will be 1.1 million to 1.2 million Naira per flat, the two flats will give a combined income of about 2.2 million to 2.4 million Naira that can later be invested in stocks.

Stocks like Zenith Bank, FBN, UBA, UBA Capital in 12months-->3.3 million Naira to 4.4 million Naira in the next (12 months/1yr)

While house rentage of 550k to 600k per annum would be--> 1.1 million to 1.2 million Naira per flat(2flats x 2= (2.4Million/Yr)

Stock=4.4Million Subtract Rentage 2.4Milion.

My good friend, you can always make more sales from your stock and then come back and build your home for rentage. Even more Flats for yourself. cool

I might be wrong duh undecided
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 18, 2013
Complete the Ajah house,buy a land in the village because the land can become expensive later then when the house in Ajah is completed he can start investing the money he get from the rents in stock.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 18, 2013
1. Shares have fixed prices, you can't sell at your own price but only at market price, and you can't eliminate the Brokers who are worse than agents, and most of them are professional fraudsters who'll make sure they frustrate you totally. It happened to me and a close friend.

2. My Village is at Idah, Kogi State. Since the past 10 years more people have migrated away from this part of the state than more people have moved there. Though some houses have been built there, but their value remain as low as ever. If your village isn't in Lekki, Abuja, or Ogun State, you will regret such action as your investment won't bring any ROI besides giving you some village champion status.

3. Build in Lagos. You could read some of my thread. A plot in Lekki in 2001 was selling for 100k, today the same plot sells for 20million upwards. In 2005 I bought my first property in Ilupeju, Mushin lagos for 3million, and sold the same property in 2010 for 17million. I am not from Lagos, I am not even totally Yoruba, but I won't be like some disillusioned folks here who won't rise beyond tribal shackles and accept business as what it is: it has nothing to do
with emotions but reality. Build in Lag, I have loads of properties that might interest you.

Let me compare Lagos and My State Kogi:

Kogi: a former agrarian community in the North. Most of the people were farmers, but since the introduction of mechanized farming, there has been no more jobs. Most of the young men there have migrated to Lagos, Abuja and Kano. The value of a plot of land in Idah in 2000 was a bottle of Shinapps and maybe 5k. The value still remains the same till today. You can doubt me, but I can give you an acre there for free....the lands are there, ravaged by flood and totally useless.

Lagos: a former capital of the country, historically a commercial hub for the Portuguese, British, and the founding fathers of the Nation. Lagos is still the hub, and Nigeria will develop from this state like South Africa developed through J'berg. Politicians or Business man, if you neglect the state, you do so at your own fatal detriment. Aliko Dangote made vitally a third of his wealth from selling cement to the state alone. I heard him say so at a conference...After Lagos, Abuja...the fingers points to Ogun State. If you ever been to Mowe, Ibafo or Owode, or Ikorodu, or Sango and Ifo extension 10 years ago, go back and see what im talking about. Lagos has expanded as far as these Ogun axis.

PS: at Seun, kindly get rid of lawyer from the property section. He's turned that section to his pot of soup. Stuff like this should be there, but no one goes there anymore besides his boys. And besides, only his commercial threads in that section every makes frontpage. Kindly note this.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by tellwisdom: 4:32pm On Jul 18, 2013
But seriously the money small...That kain money na balcony e suppose dey. So anytime u need money, go there and pick sad

1 Like

Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 18, 2013
**subsribing** There's a lot to learn on this thread.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Rockers4l: 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2013
I suggest he goes for the stock
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Besto(m): 4:37pm On Jul 18, 2013
olushowunm: @OP... I'M FROM ABEOKUTA AND I ALWAYS WONDERS WHY PEOPLE IN LEKKI/AJAH AXIS USE SO MUCH MONEY TO DO CONSTRUCTION...

WELL, I CAN DELIVER HIM 2UNITS OF 3-BEDROOM FLATS AT 7-8MILLION WITH QUALITY CRATFSMEN THAT HAVE WORKED FOR ME ON SEVERAL BUILDING PROJECTS.

THE ONLY THING THAT WILL COST HIM MORE MONEY THAN NECESSARY IS WANTING MARBLE OR OTHER EXQUISITE FINISHING...

WELL, THE COST ALSO INCLUDES USING STEP-TILES ROOFING, POP FINISIHING AND OTHERS.

YOU CAN CONTACT ME FOR MORE INFORMATION IN THAT REGARD.

THEN CONCERNING BUILDING A COUNTRY-HOME, ITS TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY... I HAVE A LOT OF THEM HERE IN ABEOKUTA, WHY WILL YOU BUILD HOUSE FOR LIZARDS AND RATS

IF YOU ARE BUILDING AT ALL, IT SHOULD PUT MONEY BACK IN YOUR POCKET AND NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND!!!

SO MY ADVICE IN THAT REGARD SHOULD BE...

1. FINISH AJAH HOUSE (WHICH I CAN HELP HIM WITH)
2. BUILD A RENTAL PROPERTY (TENEMENT HOUSE) IN AGO-IWOYE FOR RENT TO STUDENTS OR BUY HIS STOCKS... THANKS.
u shud be a badass sharp ibo-man
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jul 18, 2013
aasog1:
1. Shares have fixed prices, you can't sell at your own price, and you can't eliminate the Brokers who worse than agents, and most of them are professional fraudsters who'll make sure they frustrate you totally. It happened to me, and a close friend.

2. My Village is at Idah, Kogi State. Since the past 10 years, more people have left this place, than most people have. Though some houses have been built there, but their value remain as low as ever. If your village isn't in Lekki, Abuja, or Ogun State, you will regret such action as your investment won't bring any ROI besides giving some village champion status.

3. Build in Lagos. You could read some of my thread. A plot in Lekki in 2001 was selling for 100k, today the same plot sells for 20million upwards. In 2005 I bought my first property in Ilupeju, Mushin lagos for 3million, and sold the place in 2010 for 17million. I am not from Lagos, I am not even totally Yoruba, but I won't be like some disillusioned folks here who won't rise beyond tribal shackles and accept business is what it is: it has nothing to do with emotions but reality. Build in Lag, I have loads of properties that might interest you.

PS: at Seun, kindly get rid of lawyer from the property section. He's turned that section to his pot of soup. Stuff like this should be there, but no one goes there anymore besides his boys. And besides, only his commercial threads in that section every makes frontpage. Kindly note this.

wow, this is an opportunity for me to make connections o. Chairman can I PM you? I am serious about this o. Thanks smiley
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jul 18, 2013
manie:

That is a good idea. But I do not think that 8 million will complete the project. I think completing the 2 units of 3 bedroom flats and letting it out is a better idea.

By completing the house, he can let each flat out for 550k to 600k per annum. I just got a new tenant that paid 2 years rent advance. If he can get 2 years rent advance from each flat that will be 1.1 million to 1.2 million Naira per flat, the two flats will give a combined income of about 2.2 million to 2.4 million Naira that can later be invested in stocks.

So you knew completing the house will be better why then bringing it to us....the advice given above was a good one and you killed it with one stone and yet still expecting more
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by geeez: 4:58pm On Jul 18, 2013
Build in Lagos

You're Yoruba. No shaking

Think about the ROI on a house in Lagos vs Ogun
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Djtm(m): 5:02pm On Jul 18, 2013
I don't understand this stock stuff. Infact, I've never really learnt how it works. Maybe I'm too young to understand.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Jarus(m): 5:04pm On Jul 18, 2013
Good job, man. I think we have similar orientation.

In my family too, it is the tradition to do countryhome first i.e build your first house in our town before thinking of any other place, even though we work in Lagos (our parents are at home). After the first house at home, you can then start elsewhere. This is despite the fact that we go home just twice or thrice a year (only the sallah visit is guaranteed) and we don't spend more than 4 days. But there is this sense of fulfilment that comes with having a countryhome. By God's grace, I'm close to rounding up mine too (https://www.nairaland.com/784501/building-house-kwara-state-journal/2.

Next plan after completing teh countryhome is city house (wherever you are working permanently, for most of us Lagos.

None of these however stops investing. You can put say 3m into further investments. It's not compulsory for you to finish the house at a stretch. You can do it over 2 years. You don't need to spend all your income on teh project.

It depends on a number of factors, but based on my own orientation/upbringing, if I were in your shoes, I would:

1, Put 4m back into further investments
2, Put 3m into your countryhome project immediately
3, Put 4m into short-term investments (e.g money market) and liquidate over 2 years, to continue your project at say 3 months interval or milestones e.g up to lintel, roofing, etc) . That way, you still make little money while continuing the project. Remember you're not living in your village, so no urgent need to rush.

As for Ajah land, that's very great. I stay in that side too (we have things in common) and a colleague just got 6m to acquire a plot in Badore (Ajah). Thankfully, your land will continue to appreciate. So you can come back to it later.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Gasout(m): 5:04pm On Jul 18, 2013
I think having a permanet structure is better than stock dats attach with risk
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Okeyson4wisdom(m): 5:08pm On Jul 18, 2013
manie:

The guy is currently a tenant at Surulere, where he pays 650k per annum for his apartment but he prefers Surulere to Ajah. Surulere is less than 20 minutes drive to his office at Marina Lagos.
build the house at ajah, rent it and start another building in ur home town. Forget shares. All of these shares are going to crash soon.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Nosyke(m): 5:10pm On Jul 18, 2013
Quite an educative thread.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Inoknowbook: 5:18pm On Jul 18, 2013
Hype it, then when it becomes hot, dump it. It's nothing but a hype and dump thingz, it's an ageless, well practiced system of hyping stocks. And trust me, it's gonna work, because there will always be suckers. How could shares you bought with N4,000,000.00 in 2012 pay you a dividend of 702k in 2013? How much did UBA declare as dividend? Please, people look before you leap because I know that so many people will be rushing off to buy UBA stocks after reading this clever advert. DON'T BE A FOOL!

3 Likes

Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by kayjegs: 5:19pm On Jul 18, 2013
In this case, I will personally advice that you invest in real estate instead of stocks. No matter how good stocks may look, it is not predictable. You know what happened during the global recession even in countries where their economy is solid such as the US and so on.
Please finish up your AJAH building and the money you make from that, can be used to build a house in your hometown. And for as many that can spare funds to make tangible investments and business for the future or present, you can check this thread for ideas:

https://www.nairaland.com/1182280/funds-not-business-actually-need

OR

https://www.nairaland.com/1163912/funds-not-business-actually-need
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Akpan107(m): 5:22pm On Jul 18, 2013
Royal Roy: I need ur advice on shares & stock please!!
How easy is it to sell it off when u already made gains?
Will it take time or you can get buyers instantly?
Before you invest in Shares, the first thing you need to do is to open CSL account from your stock broker.
I open mine 5 Years ago with First City Monument Bank (FCMB) with minimum of 250,000. They will use the money to buy shares of your choice after two weeks time.

Note: You will always meet your stock broker whenever you want to buy or sell your shares.
It only take 3 days to 1 week to recieve your cash from the day you order your stock broker to sell your shares.

Account opening Requirment.
1. National Identity Card (your driver's licence or International passport will also serve, incase you dont have National Identity card)

2. Passport photograp

3. Old Nepa Bill or Water Bill

4. Good House Adress

5. You should have a P.O.Box Address

Goodluck.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Peterwins(m): 5:24pm On Jul 18, 2013
O Greene: INVESTING IN STOCKS!!!! How do i know which companies to choose, the better rates, NSE, dividends,......etc. Someone pls fill me in, i need to understand this subject better bcoz am looking @ investing very soon. Oya!!!!!! teach me oooo. smiley

You must be objective (and fairly knowledgeable) in any investment decision you take. Get in touch with any reputable stock-broking firm and seek professional advise.

However, if you must invest in the NSE as a novice, just make sure you only invest in stocks of a few multi-nationals such as: Guinness, Unilever, Cadbury and Nestle. These companies have good/strong corporate governance.

You can start investing in other stocks once you fairly understand how the NSE works.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Chigorkizz(m): 5:24pm On Jul 18, 2013
What're u doing? I'm learning!
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by obowunmi(m): 5:26pm On Jul 18, 2013
Build the home in Lagos... rent it out. Get money, buys stocks, build more homes, rent it out, and keep going.

1 Like

Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Shine1177: 5:33pm On Jul 18, 2013
O Greene: INVESTING IN STOCKS!!!! How do i know which companies to choose, the better rates, NSE, dividends,......etc. Someone pls fill me in, i need to understand this subject better bcoz am looking @ investing very soon. Oya!!!!!! teach me oooo. smiley

Go through this thread to keep abreast.
https://www.nairaland.com/1131485/nigeria-stock-exchange-market-pick
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Peterwins(m): 5:35pm On Jul 18, 2013
I no know book:
Hype it, then when it becomes hot, dump it. It's nothing but a hype and dump thingz, it's an ageless, well practiced system of hyping stocks. And trust me, it's gonna work, because there will always be suckers. How could shares you bought with N4,000,000.00 in 2012 pay you a dividend of 702k in 2013? How much did UBA declare as dividend? Please, people look before you leap because I know that so many people will be rushing off to buy UBA stocks after reading this clever advert. DON'T BE A FOOL!

It will be foolish for anyone to do so. Though financial services stocks are very volatile, only a few have remained consistent (in terms of dividends and bonuses) such as GTB and FBN.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Emperoh(m): 5:36pm On Jul 18, 2013
@ Jarus, Manie,

I used to think it was only the Igbos who had this sense of think home once income begins to flow.
This has made me have a rethink.

Based on the topic, here's what i am most likely to do;

Divide the cash at hand/takings from the initial stock investment into two (you can choose a sharing pattern you desire).
A half is to go for reinvestment and the other half should go into developing the Ajah land.

As for the country home project, i need people to understand this. Building at home only has a social value and nothing more. It is not yielding any income, it is not appreciating in value (unless you are from certain communities with plenty commercial activities) so for me, i can only think home when i am sure i have taken a stead where i am based.

Whichever way, your profit from stock investments should be used in developing the Ajah plot at every time it matures.

All the best!!
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by johnie: 5:45pm On Jul 18, 2013
I no know book:

I am even wondering if there isn't insider trading involved given that he works with UBA Capital and "made" all that money from UBA stocks.

Secondly the OP has given too many personal details about the person.

His name: S _ P _
Where he lives:S _ R _ _ E _ E
His hometown: O _ O G _ _ _U
How much he has now:You all know now!

I hope he doesn't get kidnapped!
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Peterwins(m): 5:51pm On Jul 18, 2013
As for the country home project, i need people to understand this. Building at home only has a social value and nothing more.

Hence the need to build a rental property before any country/village home. For some people building at home have cost them their lives or misfortune.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Observer1: 5:55pm On Jul 18, 2013
johnie:

I am even wondering if there isn't insider trading involved given that he works with UBA Capital and "made" all that money from UBA stocks.

Secondly the OP has given too many personal details

It's all fictional Man.

Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Daresh(f): 6:04pm On Jul 18, 2013
manie: A friend who works with UBA Capital invested 4 million Naira on the shares of UBA in January 2012. He planned to hold the stock for 36 months that is till January 2015. The average purchase price of the stock was between N2.35k and N2.50k.

The guy got a dividend of 702k from his stock in June 2013, after which he sold 90% 0f his shareholding for about 10.5 million Naira. With the sale of 90% of his UBA shares and the dividend received he has over 11 million Naira. He is now contemplating what to do with the money considering the various alternatives that are available.

Firstly he does not have a country home in his home town, that is Odogbolu in Ogun State. His younger brothers all have a country home at Odogbolu and he is the only one left out among the 3 of them. He is therefore thinking of using the money to build a house at Odogbolu.

Secondly he has a fenced plot of land at Ajah, he stopped in 2009 at the foundation stage. He is considering using the 11 million Naira to build a moderately finished 2 units of three bedroom flats that will give a minimum rental income of 1.1 Million Naira.I currently charge my tenants 550k per annum, he may decide to charge same or higher rate.

Thirdly, he believes stocks like Zenith Bank, FBN, UBA, UBA Capital, Access Bank and ETI are currently undervalued, investing in this stocks should give an average dividend yield of 6.5% is over 700k and an upside potential of 30% to 40% that is 3.3 million Naira to 4.4 million Naira in the next 12 months.

What will do you if you are in Supo's shoes.

Build in Ajah.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Stanbeto: 6:16pm On Jul 18, 2013
build in Lag

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oando Posts 2014-FY And Q1-2015 Results / Tine Investment. Scam Or Legit Business? / Apparently MMM is back, Apparently MMM is about to Crash.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.