Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,029 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million (22444 Views)

How To Buy Stocks From Foreign Countries? / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? / Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Peterwins(m): 12:45pm On Jul 19, 2013
peleson:
I think I love this part a lot! Pls what other company shares can one buy .

Just seek additional professional advise from reputable stock-brokers and other investment professionals to guide you. I recommend only few multi-national stocks such as Guiness, Nestle, Cadbury and Unilever for first time investors who want long-term investments. These companies have very good corporate governance structure.

Definition of 'Corporate Governance'
The system of rules, practices and processes by which a company is directed and controlled. Corporate governance essentially involves balancing the interests of the many stakeholders in a company - these include its shareholders, management, customers, suppliers, financiers, government and the community. Since corporate governance also provides the framework for attaining a company's objectives, it encompasses practically every sphere of management, from action plans and internal controls to performance measurement and corporate disclosure.

Investopedia explains 'Corporate Governance'
Corporate governance became a pressing issue following the 2002 introduction of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act in the U.S., which was ushered in to restore public confidence in companies and markets after accounting fraud bankrupted high-profile companies such as Enron and WorldCom.

Most companies strive to have a high level of corporate governance. These days, it is not enough for a company to merely be profitable; it also needs to demonstrate good corporate citizenship through environmental awareness, ethical behavior and sound corporate governance practices. source: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/corporategovernance.asp

One of the major reason I advised people against purchasing DAAR communication (Raypower & AIT) IPO/Shares few years ago was because of the company's poor corporate governance structure.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by taju4free(m): 4:00pm On Jul 19, 2013
Selling all his shares n investing it on building is D best option. Stock market is umpreditable so pls tell him 2 go ahead a build his house.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 6:32pm On Jul 19, 2013
Peterwins:

It may or may not be insider trading. However, what is insider trading?

Definition of 'Insider Trading'
The buying or selling of a security by someone who has access to material, nonpublic information about the security.

Investopedia explains 'Insider Trading'
Insider trading can be illegal or legal depending on when the insider makes the trade: it is illegal when the material information is still nonpublic--trading while having special knowledge is unfair to other investors who don't have access to such knowledge. Illegal insider trading therefore includes tipping others when you have any sort of nonpublic information. Directors are not the only ones who have the potential to be convicted of insider trading. People such as brokers and even family members can be guilty.

Insider trading is legal once the material information has been made public, at which time the insider has no direct advantage over other investors. The SEC, however, still requires all insiders to report all their transactions. So, as insiders have an insight into the workings of their company, it may be wise for an investor to look at these reports to see how insiders are legally trading their stock. source: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/insidertrading.asp

The information about the company was published in the quarterly result, investors eg foreign portfolio investors and some shrewd investors who saw value in the figures churned out by the company took position, but majority of the retail investors sat on the bench. How can you call that inside trading.

Just like we have some stocks that are currently selling at great discounts, does that mean that investors who are accumulating such stocks are buying due to inside information.

Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 6:39pm On Jul 19, 2013
[quote author=Peterwins]

Really!!! These stocks (Unilever,Guinness, Nestle and Cadbury)[b] are held for long-term [/b]and not for short-term / margin trading like financial services stocks. Comparing apples with oranges. No, I think its more like comparing a Cocoa tree(and its yield) with corn/maize. Cash crops vs Food crops.

It is important that first time investors in the stock market are adequately and truthfully informed. I don't like when people (especially naive investors) are misguided.

I do not like recommending financial services stocks because of their volatility to first time / naive investors who are really ignorant about how the NSE works. However if they insist, a GTB or FBN will be a good start.[/quote

I can not believe this. Is that why a stock should have a PE ratio of between 40 to 60 and give a dividend yield of 1% to 2%. The stock market is generally a long term market where companies come to raise long term fund.

According to Peter Lynch in his book One up on Wall Street. A stock selling at a PE of 40 is a growth stock with a growth rate of 40% and above. Do stocks like Nigerian Breweries, Guiness, Unilever, Cadbury have a growth rate of even 20%, yet they a have PE ratio of over 45.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by dotna(m): 6:50pm On Jul 19, 2013
If you are up to 35 years old, then why not buy annuity investment from Niger Insurance PLC and receive an annual fund of about 1 million naira for life.

email natuaries@outlook.com for more on annuity options.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Meritgoal(m): 6:53pm On Jul 19, 2013
olushowunm: @OP... I'M FROM ABEOKUTA AND I ALWAYS WONDERS WHY PEOPLE IN LEKKI/AJAH AXIS USE SO MUCH MONEY TO DO CONSTRUCTION...

WELL, I CAN DELIVER HIM 2UNITS OF 3-BEDROOM FLATS AT 7-8MILLION WITH QUALITY CRATFSMEN THAT HAVE WORKED FOR ME ON SEVERAL BUILDING PROJECTS.

THE ONLY THING THAT WILL COST HIM MORE MONEY THAN NECESSARY IS WANTING MARBLE OR OTHER EXQUISITE FINISHING...

WELL, THE COST ALSO INCLUDES USING STEP-TILES ROOFING, POP FINISIHING AND OTHERS.

YOU CAN CONTACT ME FOR MORE INFORMATION IN THAT REGARD.

THEN CONCERNING BUILDING A COUNTRY-HOME, ITS TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY... I HAVE A LOT OF THEM HERE IN ABEOKUTA, WHY WILL YOU BUILD HOUSE FOR LIZARDS AND RATS

IF YOU ARE BUILDING AT ALL, IT SHOULD PUT MONEY BACK IN YOUR POCKET AND NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND!!!

SO MY ADVICE IN THAT REGARD SHOULD BE...

1. FINISH AJAH HOUSE (WHICH I CAN HELP HIM WITH)
2. BUILD A RENTAL PROPERTY (TENEMENT HOUSE) IN AGO-IWOYE FOR RENT TO STUDENTS OR BUY HIS STOCKS... THANKS.

You sound like an experience building contractor, i'll like to work with you by supplying The best quality of stone coated roofing tiles to compliment the beauty & luxury of your project. Other building materials are available such as PVC Ceìling, marine plywood, Doors etc. Email: ak.medular@gmail.com
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 6:54pm On Jul 19, 2013
dotna: If you are up to 35 years old, then why not buy annuity investment from Niger Insurance PLC and receive an annual fund of about 1 million naira for life.

That is good. But not too good for a veteran investor. It should be okay for the average salary earner.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 7:23pm On Jul 19, 2013
[quote author=manie][/quote]

That does not mean Nigerian Breweries, Guiness, Unilever, Nestle and Cadbury are not good companies, but there fundamentals does not justify their current valuation in the market. The stocks will under perform the All Share Index on the long run.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 7:31pm On Jul 19, 2013
manie:

That does not mean Nigerian Breweries, Guiness, Unilever, Nestle and Cadbury are not good companies, but there fundamentals does not justify their current valuation in the market. The stocks will under perform the All Share Index on the long run.

Just like having a plot of land in Ikoyi is very good, but buying the plot of land for 1 billion Naira per plot is not a good move.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by ihedioramma: 12:30pm On Jul 21, 2013
[quote author=Jarus]Good job, man. I think we have similar orientation.

In my family too, it is the tradition to do countryhome first i.e build your first house in After the first house at home, you can then start elsewhere. THANK'S brother, if i am op this one is the best. in ur father's home 4m will do every thing 4u and u use 2m to invest in oando 2m in fbnh and u get change of 3m and use it 4other investment . think with that 11m u cant do every thing in ur house in lagos .
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 5:59am On Jul 22, 2013
[quote author=ihedioramma][/quote]

Please do not invest in OANDO, until when situation improves in the company.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by olushowunm(m): 7:17am On Jul 22, 2013
manie:

Please do not invest in OANDO, until when situation improves in the company.

Its not proper to give stock tips... It may backfire on you later... And people starts saying Manie is the one that said i should buy this and not that!!!
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 2:29pm On Jul 22, 2013
olushowunm:

Its not proper to give stock tips... It may backfire on you later... And people starts saying Manie is the one that said i should buy this and not that!!!

Just trying to be my brother's keeper.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 29, 2013
Why not complete the building because land and property appreciates everyday.
Any way i am a building engineer.
You can reach me for more info.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Nobody: 8:52am On May 07, 2015
dotna:
If you are up to 35 years old, then why not buy annuity investment from Niger Insurance PLC and receive an annual fund of about 1 million naira for life.

How much do I need to invest in order to get annuity payment of 1M annually for life.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by dotna(m): 4:54pm On May 07, 2015
folajoseph:

How much do I need to invest in order to get annuity payment of 1M annually for life.

I will need more details such as age and gender to compute the premium/purchase price.

Send an email to natuaries@outlook.com for more chat.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by ihedioramma: 8:18pm On Oct 29, 2015
[quote author=manie post=16809033]A friend who works with UBA Capital invested 4 million Naira on the shares of UBA in January 2012. He planned to hold the stock for 36 months that is till January 2015. The average purchase price of the stock was between N2.35k and N2.50k.

The guy got a dividend of 702k from his stock in June 2013, after which he sold 90% 0f his shareholding for about 10.5 million Naira. With the sale of 90% of his UBA shares and the dividend received he has over 11 million Naira. He is now contemplating what to do with the money considering the various alternatives that are available.

Firstly he does not have a country home in his home town, that is Odogbolu in Ogun State. His younger brothers all have a country home at Odogbolu and he is the only one left out among the 3 of them. He is therefore thinking of using the money to build a house at Odogbolu.
buy all that stocks you name with #5m, build good small hause with below #5m, use #1m cover body .
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 4:05am On Dec 16, 2015
olushowunm:

can you see why, i told the guy not to buy oando.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Deo27: 12:32pm On Dec 16, 2015
@ manie, I'll like to have a chat with you.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 9:36am On Dec 19, 2015
Deo27:
@ manie, I'll like to have a chat with you.

You can do that via this thread.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by olushowunm(m): 11:25pm On Dec 19, 2015
What is the situation of this investment now? What did the OP eventually do out of the options we gave him?
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by EDUECO(m): 7:45pm On Dec 20, 2015
@manie,please is it likely that Skye bank would pay dividend for 2015 financial year? Thank you!
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 8:15pm On Dec 20, 2015
EDUECO:
@manie,please is it likely that Skye bank would pay dividend for 2015 financial year? Thank you!

I doubt if they will pay.

1 Like

Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by manie(m): 8:17pm On Dec 20, 2015
olushowunm:
What is the situation of this investment now? What did the OP eventually do out of the options we gave him?

He completed the Ajah house and used the proceeds from the house rent to invest in the stock-market.
Re: Should I Build In Lagos Or In My Home Town or buy Stocks with my N 11 million by Deo27: 9:37pm On Dec 25, 2015
@ Manie I will like to invest in stock anytime from febuary, Iwill appreciate if you can guide me through. Merry Xmas

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oando Posts 2014-FY And Q1-2015 Results / Tine Investment. Scam Or Legit Business? / Apparently MMM is back, Apparently MMM is about to Crash.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.