Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,151 members, 7,953,567 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:16 PM

Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer (19200 Views)

Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing / Tope Folarin Wins The 2013 Caine Prize For African Writing / 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Abbott(m): 9:23pm On Jul 16, 2013
jaymdee:
Yes, she has. About four others.

Thank you. What're the titles?
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by tpia5: 9:38pm On Jul 16, 2013
Nuzo':

Nairaland literal Greats like Yuzedu and Mazi-Omenuko .

abeg make we close thread, its bordering on the absurd.

although you did say nairaland sha, maybe that should be considered when viewing your post.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nuzo1(m): 9:43pm On Jul 16, 2013
I saw these coming, I mean the arrogance and attackers.

The attack on CNA is not necessarily because of her arrogance in that interview but cos of how she attain success faster than we usually see in literature (with the exception of Achebe and Soyinka).

The attackers are full of envy and jealousy! They overtly praised her works but covertly despised her work. They were simply waiting for a day like this to unleash their verbal venom on her. Surely, the day came.

As the day came, they made sure they stripped her of all the honors she gained as a result of her works. The works they once praised is now soulless and un African.

Even Nairaland literal Greats like Yuzedu and Mazi-Omenuko joined the bandwagon.

And yes, I saw the arrogance coming! It was oozing from afar...now its here. It was inevitable!
Just like most successful young men and women, a time comes within the height of one's success....you will have an overload sense of superioty, importance and entitlement. Achebe and Soyinka had these in excess when there were in the same age bracket with Adichie. They even still display some of it at old age.
Yuzedo displayed even worst arrogance and disdain when some dry folks tried to copy him with a pseudo moniker. Same with Mazi Omenuko when his NYSC diaries was criticized as being sexist.

I feel like CNA should be shut down for her arrogance...not her works which was refreshing, new, daring and easy to relate to.
Its okay not to love her work, but saying its mediocre is baseless.

That being said, as an intellectual and as a person whose every word means a lot in private and public space, Chimanda must be careful with her choice of words.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 16, 2013
Nuzo':

The attack on CNA is not necessarily because of her arrogance in that interview but cos of how she attain success faster than we usually see in literature (with the exception of Achebe and Soyinka).

The attackers are full of envy and jealousy! They overtly praised her works but covertly despised her work. They were simply waiting for a day like this to unleash their verbal venom on her. Surely, the day came.

As the day came, they made sure they stripped her of all the honors she gained as a result of her works. The works they once praised is now soulless and un African.

Even Nairaland literal Greats like Yuzedu and Mazi-Omenuko joined the bandwagon.

And yes, I saw the arrogance coming! It was oozing from afar...now its here. It was inevitable!
Just like most successful young men and women, a time comes within the height of one's success....you will have an overload sense of superioty, importance and entitlement. Achebe and Soyinka had these in excess when there were in the same age bracket with Adichie. They even still display some of it at old age.
Yuzedo displayed even worst arrogance and disdain when some dry folks tried to copy him with a pseudo moniker. Same with Mazi Omenuko when his NYSC diaries was criticized as being sexist.

I feel like CNA should be shut down for her arrogance...not her works which was refreshing, new, daring and easy to relate to.

That being said, as an intellectual and as a person whose every word means a lot in private and public space, Chimanda must be careful with her choice of words.

I saw this junk write up coming......if you glance at my earlier posts you'll see what I mean.

Healthy criticism is often seen as jealousy and envy by Nigerians.

Need I ask why you chose to ignore the arrogance and disrespect in CNA's interview, but chose to foolishly analyze her critics? Nah, I needn't ask, it's quite obvious.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by tpia5: 9:46pm On Jul 16, 2013
i blame jonathan/the govt for not doing something about the nigerian educational system.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nuzo1(m): 9:50pm On Jul 16, 2013
tpia@:

abeg make we close thread, its bordering on the absurd.

although you did say nairaland sha, maybe that should be considered when viewing your post.

It will reek of envy to take away their honor here on Nairaland just the same way they are doing for Adichie.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nuzo1(m): 9:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

I saw this junk write up coming......if you glance at my earlier posts you'll see what I mean.

Need I ask why you chose to ignore the arrogance and disrespect in CNA's interview, but chose to foolishly analyze her critics? Nah, I needn't ask, it's quite obvious.

I didnt notice you were part of the discuss...so I can't remember quoting you.

Mistaken identity.

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 16, 2013
Nuzo':

I didnt notice you were part of the discuss...so I can't remember quoting you.

Mistaken identity.

This is a public forum.......have you forgotten that little detail?
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by mbulela: 9:57pm On Jul 16, 2013
Abbott: I love Sefi Atta's Everything Good Will Come.
Has she written any other book?
check SWALLOW and A BIT OF DIFFERENCE.
I found the one you mentioned very bland and ordinary.
I liked SWALLOW better but in general she is not a writer i really enjoy.
I enjoyed IMAGINE THIS by Sade Adeniran much more.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by eaglechild: 10:00pm On Jul 16, 2013
Ayoobscom: She did sounded arrogance and discouraging to young talents
Triple whammy!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by yuzedo: 10:01pm On Jul 16, 2013
Nuzo':

ƪoƪ! Really bro? Ok, you're my man, let's talk.
1. Opinions are subjective, not infallible. I maintain that I have NEVER been a fan of Purple Hibiscus, however Half of a Yellow Sun was a stunning effort and clearly one of my favorite novels. If you think Purple Hibiscus was good, look for and read Green Days By The River by Michael Anthony.. Lol! When you're done you'll know I was generous with my average rating of Purple Hibiscus.

The other matter of my presumed arrogance towards pseudo-yuzedos? ƪoƪ! Non-issue. (Unless indifference is arrogance). I make light of the situation, neither denouncing nor encouraging the actors. You don't know the implication of their activities on my profile especially as regards MOD scrutiny.

Adichie is a leading light in our generation, the fact that some of her works might not score high in the "subjective" opinion(s) of a few is more an indictment of the general standard of the present crop of Nigerian/African writers than a personal affront on the good lady. Warm regards..

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 16, 2013
yuzedo:
1. Opinions are subjective, not infallible. I maintain that I have NEVER been a fan of Purple Hibiscus, however Half of a Yellow Sun was a stunning effort and clearly one of my favorite novels. If you think Purple Hibiscus was good, look for and read Green Days By The River by Michael Anthony.. Lol! When you're done you'll know I was generous with my average rating of Purple Hibiscus.

The other matter of my presumed arrogance towards pseudo-yuzedos? ƪoƪ! Non-issue. (Unless indifference is arrogance). I make light of the situation, neither denouncing nor encouraging the actors. You don't know the implication of their activities on my profile especially as regards MOD scrutiny.

Adichie is a leading light in our generation, the fact that some of her works might not score high in the "subjective" opinion(s) of a few is more an indictment of the general standard of the present crop of Nigerian/African writers than a personal affront on the good lady. Warm regards..

wink
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 16, 2013

How did I miss this?

Nuzo is a joker sha grin
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by eaglechild: 10:09pm On Jul 16, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

I think you misunderstood Nuzo.
He is simply saying there is no need to take cheap shots at CNA's works (which are world acclaimed).
When the focus should be on her apparent display of arrogance which should be condemned.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by longjon: 10:11pm On Jul 16, 2013
So who is this Abubakar Ibrahim guy ? Can't seem to find him any where. I did get a hit on a former senator ( can't be that) and Abubakar Shekau ( whom I know ).
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Inoknowbook: 10:19pm On Jul 16, 2013
wallosky: http://saharareporters.com/press-release/press-release-chimamanda-adichie-wins-american-prize

Breaking news: PRESS RELEASE: Chimamanda Adichie Wins American Prize

Now, let them go and die of their jealousy! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Abbott(m): 10:28pm On Jul 16, 2013
mbulela:
check SWALLOW and A BIT OF DIFFERENCE.
I found the one you mentioned very bland and ordinary.
I liked SWALLOW better but in general she is not a writer i really enjoy.
I enjoyed IMAGINE THIS by Sade Adeniran much more.

I admit that Everything Good may not be Sefi Atta's highpoint, but their is something about it, the ordinariness, the monotony and the dramatic that is the life of nondescript and obscure people. The beauty lies not in its banality but that this people lead lives that yearns to be witnessed and noticed too. Still a fav to me anyway. Would love to get the rest and read 'em.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nuzo1(m): 10:29pm On Jul 16, 2013
yuzedo:

Now, that's a sound mind up here!

The first and most especially the last paragraph are so on point. I guess I quoted you out of context just the same way you and some critics here might have done to Adichie earlier.

However, its not hearsay the way you treated the pseudo yuzedos.
And as most of your works are satire, I'm yet to see gravity of the implications of their works. I despised them tho'.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nuzo1(m): 10:37pm On Jul 16, 2013
eaglechild:
He is simply saying there is no need to take cheap shots at CNA's works (which are world acclaimed).
When the focus should be on her apparent display of arrogance which should be condemned.

Kudos for summerizing my long essay in few words. grin

Tho its very clear she understood my point very well. She just wanted me to dive inside the gutter with her. Never! grin

Funny most of CNA's deconstructive critics are women in her age bracket. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jul 16, 2013
eaglechild:

You're being too kind to him with your summarization.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 16, 2013
Nuzo':

Tho its very clear she understood my point very well. She just wanted me to dive inside the gutter with her. Never! grin

In her age group? Little wonder you sound confused most times undecided
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by tpia5: 10:48pm On Jul 16, 2013
Nuzo':

seems you're one of her boys.

you've been parked on the thread since.

did you by any chance send something to her inbox?

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nuzo1(m): 11:02pm On Jul 16, 2013
tpia@:

seems you're one of her boys.

you've been parked on the thread since.

did you by any chance send something to her inbox?

grin grin grin you really cracked up. Love it! kiss

I've never considered myself as a writer. Social critic..maybe. So, I'm not one of the inbox guys.

And on parking in this thread, I usually enter a thread, leave my gadgets on...and do other things for hours before coming back to the thread.

And it seems you've grown wings since I went soft a few years ago. angry

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by 4chi: 11:33pm On Jul 16, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
Na today? This was the same way Chinua Achebe rubbished Wole Soyinka, when he won the Nobel prize in 1986.Abubakar did well by teaching this arrogant B**** some manners

Okayyyyy. It's an Igbo thingy . As in..... Nna meeen ma mercedes is bigger than ya own! cheesy cheesy
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:41pm On Jul 16, 2013
I can swear most of those quick to slate her works as mediocre or garbage haven't read a single one of them. Of course it doesn't apply to a few on here but to certain pretentious wannabe critics. In any case, those were some pretty callous, brash, arrogant comments from her - not helped by the patent mischief of the interviewer who was actively fishing for controversy. She should have been a lot more guarded. As for the Abubakar fella, he's a genuine disgrace to the noble profession with such crass, vile speech in public that you'd only expect from a thug. He should be ashamed and his utterance is far more contemptible. He should learn some manners and decorum from Elnathan who responded to the slight from Chimamanda with dignity, class and admirable self-deprecatory humour in his usual endearing style. smiley

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by adaptor4all: 11:43pm On Jul 16, 2013
CA's comment is nothing bt a public display dt baba Achebe lives 4eva..she's still too small to replace him..I sincerely hope she realize dt pride goes b4 d fall (js sayin)
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jul 16, 2013
JIGHU: no she does not...are you a learner? She is the best thing after Soyinka and Achebe
Did u say best thing after achebe and soyinka? You dey dream! Where d likes of femi osofisan, ola rotimi, buchi emecheta, etc., dey, u dey mention adichie. She is just an over-hyped new generation writer and she should take it easy.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 12:00am On Jul 17, 2013
Basically, when I said her books are soulless, I was alluding to the fact that she writes like an outsider looking in and not like an insider telling her story to the world with innate passion. You can go back and check the works of all the great African/Nigerian writers like: Soyinka, Achebe, Okri, and even Christopher Okigbo(these are the ones that I've read their works). They have all got a style of writing that's quintessentially African and you would feel the African-ness, once you start reading their books. However, with her, everything is just so plain. I can draw comparisons with Taye Selasi's "Ghana Must Go" and her branching out to telling an African story. Though, Taiye is of African ancestry, but because her experience is different and she was born in London and raised in Massachusetts, she wrote like an outsider looking in...and that evidently made the book plain and soulless.

However, since Chimamanda was born and raised in Africa, and after all the hype, I expected something soulful from her, but after reading her book...I wasn't impressed. And I've been saying this for time and not just on this thread. Perhaps, she writes the way modern day Africans are - with no depth in their culture and traditions, and things that make Africans unique. But hey, you can't blame me for feeling the way I feel because I prefer the old African consciousness - to the new pseudo-consciousness. It's just like watching the Brazilian football team play without the joga bonito style that made them the most entertaining football team to watch.

No hate here, just speaking my mind. wink
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by nadis92(m): 12:10am On Jul 17, 2013
but i thought miss adichie was merely expressing a personal opinion or has it become a crime for one to say what he or she feels??
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Abbott(m): 12:18am On Jul 17, 2013
The gist of it all:
It is better to bite your tongue than to make a biting remark.
Congrats Tope Folarin. Elnathan, kudos! Man up. Abubakar I., kudos! Calm down. CNA, easy!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

All That Glitters (18+) / Nazaretha's Hood - The Missing File / Nora Roberts Responds To Tomi Adeyemi Accusations Of Plagiarism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.