Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer (19029 Views)

Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing / Tope Folarin Wins The 2013 Caine Prize For African Writing / 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by luvmijeje(f): 8:52pm On Jul 17, 2013
She was asked, why she was not shortlisted. She went into a diatribe by belittling the organizers, the writers that were shorlisted and those that look-up to her. She didn't even have the grace to answer the question. So the Prize that she won are the only1 that matters. Mtcheew.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by auskenfine(m): 3:21pm On Jul 19, 2013
Well she may not be that bad! We all don't understand this 'why not me'syndrome! Been in touch with her, she sounds nice anyway.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by tpia5: 4:41pm On Jul 19, 2013
Personally, imo winning prizes shouldnt be the primary motivation of a writer, however i do understand people dont want to not have financial gain either.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Ndipe(m): 11:51pm On Jul 19, 2013
braveheart2012: This thread is yet another prime example of colonized Nigerian minds at work tearing each other apart. That country can't see progress, I swear it.

A properly educated African would be able to see that Chimanda's comments had nothing to do with her. Sh[b]e was obliquely critiquing the institutional neo-colonization that the Cain Prize represents.[/b] Why should a board of wealthy westerners tell Africa who its best writers are? Chimanda runs regular writers' workshops and thus, she gets lots of manuscripts from all across Africa. It is well within the bounds of humility for her to say she has read better writer's from her inbox.

Poor wretched Nigerians! Oyinbo throws them one miserable prize for the ENTIRE continent, and they fight each other like mongrels for a bite. I pray Nigeria gets colonized again, this time by worse brutes (e.g. the Chinese). Stupid, poorly educated people don't deserve freedom.

And she did submit her work to be considered for the Caine Prize a while back, do you remember that?
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by mbulela: 5:19pm On Jul 21, 2013
Ndipe:

And she did submit her work to be considered for the Caine Prize a while back, do you remember that?
No,he has forgotten.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Niftyrules(m): 1:41pm On Jun 16, 2015
homesteady:
Did she really say all those things?? Please someone tell me it's just rumour!!
My Gosh!! It stinks of arrogance!!
Bia chimamanda, you owe us an apology!!
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Niftyrules(m): 1:43pm On Jun 16, 2015
homesteady:
Did she really say all those things??
Please someone tell me it's just rumour!!

My Gosh!! It stinks of arrogance!!

Bia chimamanda, you owe us an apology!!
Yes of course she does. The tone of arrogance in her speech is too evident. I don't know what usually come upon all these overnight celebrity of hours today. Why should you shatter a fellow writer like yourself.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Niftyrules(m): 1:46pm On Jun 16, 2015
JIGHU:
no she does not...are you a learner? She is the best thing after Soyinka and Achebe
Abegggi, where are you guys getting these your informations from. And by the way if I may ask you, how many African fiction have you read? For you to come at such unrealistic conclusion. Have you sampled other writers in Nigeria and Africa?
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Niftyrules(m): 1:47pm On Jun 16, 2015
kokoA:
Personally I feel Chimamanda is over-hyped. She is a very good writer no doubt, but her books to me aren't anything out of the ordinary. The other dude went to far with his anger though..
You're right bro. She has been over-hyped.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Niftyrules(m): 1:49pm On Jun 16, 2015
Chanchit:

Chinamanda of all people should knw how the world works, you can't expect good lit' works to jump from your inbox to winning awards all over. If she knws that a story should be nominated, then she should play the full politics of making sure its been nominated or better still shut the F up.
I just hate it when people cry foul on silly issues. She don fall my hand.
Big time bro. She has fallen so many folk's hand.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Niftyrules(m): 1:59pm On Jun 16, 2015
slap1:
I wanted to say that you don't know Nigerian literature, but I realized that your opinion is your entitlement.
Adichie is good, no doubt, but you don't mention her in the same sentence with the surreal Soyinka or the pre-gifted Achebe. Not yet.
And you forget (or are not aware maybe) of the generation of Buchi Emecheta or Flora Nwapa? Joys of Motherhood and Efuru, I dare say, are much deeper, engaging and richer than Adichie's works, so far.
Purple Hibiscus is good, but that's all. It's nothing exceptional. I rate Kaine Agary's Yellow Yellow above it.
Please, take time to read other great Nigerian writers, not just the hyped or favoured ones.
I think you're very right. Adiche, Soyinka and Achebe have all been hyped and most Nigerians tend not to see the possibility of better brain than these sets. The Author of Joy of motherhood, I meant Buchi Emecheta is another nigerian writer we can reckon with. I think her works too are off the hook.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dead Trap / Bride To Be / The Killer Leggings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.