Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,690 members, 7,809,607 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer (19016 Views)

Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing / Tope Folarin Wins The 2013 Caine Prize For African Writing / 4 Nigerians Shortlisted For 14th Caine Prize Award. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 16, 2013
I've never really paid attention to African literature outside soyinka and achebe. undecided
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by repogirl(f): 3:52pm On Jul 16, 2013
psky:

shocked shocked grin grin grin
I swear my brain blew up and had to reboot. Heh heh heh!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Inik(m): 3:55pm On Jul 16, 2013
It is really unfortunate if she made those degradatory statements. As a foremost African writer she is supposed to encourage young upcoming writers . The caine prize is not a mediocre prize!

Chimanda is not better than the likes of Buchi emeata, flora nwapa, ben okri and cyprian ekwensi.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
slimyem: If this was what she was trying to imply,she could have said it in a way that wouldn't insult anyone's sensiblities.
"Words" is/are the fuel she drives with. She knew what she was saying and could have said it better if she wanted to

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 16, 2013
senor_ova: Nigerians sometimes have a difficulty in interpreting simple English! All that Adichie simply meant was that the award nominee list was biased in the sense that notable upcoming writers were overlooked. Simple!
gbam!!
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by psky: 4:03pm On Jul 16, 2013
repogirl:
I swear my brain blew up and had to reboot. Heh heh heh!

As in, not just once, twice! And they were next to each other. grin grin grin
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by McLuhan(m): 4:10pm On Jul 16, 2013
Being an award-winning author herself, Adichie should not have yielded to the temptation of belittling the Caine Prize. One can be forgiven for thinking that she did so because she wasn't considered for the prize. lt's called sour grapes - an attitude in which someone pretends to despise something because they cannot have it themselves. At the same time, I deplore the vitriolic and uncouth language that I see in Ibrahim's tweets. Both of them have behaved in equally inelegant ways.

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by SterlingTowers(m): 4:14pm On Jul 16, 2013
She ought to be above such annoying petiness, even if Caine Prize is nothing to her to the winners it is pedestal to greater things in the literal world and for Mr. Ibrahim sol tempo.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by NSNA: 4:14pm On Jul 16, 2013
it is natural to feel big headed when too many people compliment you...

i don't think she is all that at all

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by tpia5: 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2013
Shine12

Chinua achebe studied at UI.

TFA was conceived from start to finish, in nigeria.

I think diasporan literature should have its own genre and not be confused with indigenous literature.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by SterlingTowers(m): 4:18pm On Jul 16, 2013
"I've never really paid attention to African literature outside soyinka and achebe." [color=#006600][/color]
Me too save for "Tell Freedom" Peter Abraham, Mariama Ba and those horrid african Literatures shoved dowm my throat for reasons of exam only.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by SisiKill1: 4:23pm On Jul 16, 2013
john650:

I read about an interview she gave at a book signing at a bookstore in Lagos some years ago. The interview was published by the defunct 234Next Newspaper. A young man who was amazed by her successes in the literary world and her beauty approached her and gave her compliments for being "brain and beauty." What would happen next was what I least expected from a literary icon, or someone the younger ones looked up to. Her response in verbatim was as follows:

“You know, there is something borderline sexist about that. That women who are beautiful do not have a brain, the idea that beautiful women cannot be intelligent.”

I thought to myself, was that comment really necessary? The young man paid her a complement and stated the obvious. Most women would have been delighted with the compliments. What does she do instead? She goes into rant, embarrassing the young man. Ever since then, I've looked at her in a different light. I think this chic has issues with men; another Gloria Steinem. she is, a "b***h on a power trip." Expect more gaffes from her in the future, which will expose her for what she is.

Of course you would think that comment was not necessary, when was the last time you walked up to a guy and said - "Ooooh! Handsome and Intelligent" "

Yeah, that's what I thought. undecided

@ Topic
I've read the article ten times and apart from the Interviewer's out of left field questions, I fail to see what the big hoopla is. Anyone who knows anything knows competitions and awards are not necessarily about being the very best. You are in only because you stuck to whatever rules guiding the competition and again...anyone who knows anything about anything knows rules and regulations sometimes wreck havoc on creativity. So when she the best writings she's seen is her inbox where there are no rules, where a writer is left unfettered....it is not about arrogance, it is just fact.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by repogirl(f): 4:24pm On Jul 16, 2013
Sterling Towers: "I've never really paid attention to African literature outside soyinka and achebe." [color=#006600][/color]
Me too save for "Tell Freedom" Peter Abraham, Mariama Ba and those horrid african Literatures shoved dowm my throat for reasons of exam only.

If that's the case, y'all are missing out on quite a lot, we do have some awesome writers especially in the literary section here on NL, check us out sumtime wink.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by PStacks(m): 4:25pm On Jul 16, 2013
I swearagad I like what the Abubakar Boy Tweeted about the F*ckd Up Chinamanda Girl.. Go to Yankee and be exhibiting Bitchy Character forgetting where you're from.

They are in her Inbox! Why didn't she print it out for the world to see and empower the people that sent them to her inbox. Or its from her inbox they would recognise them for International awards.. Mtcheeeew.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by duni04(m): 4:27pm On Jul 16, 2013
drnoel: Don't see anything wrong with her comments, as myopic as they sound. They remain her comments, which is her God given right to profess. Funny enof, while reading her comments. I asked myself how silly she sounded, an African fiction writer who has no imagination. I wonder then how she wrote her books.
U shud win a caine prize for this smiley
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by touchmeder: 4:36pm On Jul 16, 2013
I was soooooooooooooooo shocked reading this mallam's comment. come on Chimamanda may have stepped on a few toes but haba mallam swearing very unheard of from your kind... sad
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by touchmeder: 4:38pm On Jul 16, 2013
McLuhan: Being an award-winning author herself, Adichie should not have yielded to the temptation of belittling the Caine Prize. One can be forgiven for thinking that she did so because she wasn't considered for the prize. lt's called sour grapes - an attitude in which someone pretends to despise something because they cannot have it themselves. At the same time, I deplore the vitriolic and uncouth language that I see in Ibrahim's tweets. Both of them have behaved in equally inelegant ways.

well spoken
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by DonaldGenes(m): 4:41pm On Jul 16, 2013
I vehemently think that she's got some element of pride in her......................anyway i never care to know much about people like this.....

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by queenesthr(f): 4:45pm On Jul 16, 2013
I only managed to finish reading Purple Hibiscus because I had already bought it. It was so tedious reading it! I have not read and will not read any other of her works. Her style of narration doesn't really impress me.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by shine12: 4:50pm On Jul 16, 2013
tpia@:
Shine12

Chinua achebe studied at UI.

TFA was conceived from start to finish, in nigeria.

I think diasporan literature should have its own genre and not be confused with indigenous literature.

Go and read my post very well.I'm talking about Chimamanda(She studied at Drexel, transffered to Eastern connecticut then post grad at John Hopkins and later Yale. She completed a fellowship at harvard last year. Yes Achebe studied at UI
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by DonaldGenes(m): 4:51pm On Jul 16, 2013
dplomaticVal: To the piglet who quoted me, I'd ve ignored u blitheringly because the means u chose to display ur childish exuberancy lacks decorum to the core. Notwithstanding, IF Adichie ws so Famed in US and Europe as u sheepishly asserted then we shd be asking u why she havnt won a single prize there. Besides,it's crystal clear that she made her literary debut lately,though she've caved a niche for herself bt that dosnt giv her the prerogative and audacity to dictate for Africans on who they shd giv literary prizes and who they shldnt.
this kind grammatical grammar fit make my dog run enter cage.......................
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by DonaldGenes(m): 4:52pm On Jul 16, 2013
queenesthr: I only managed to finish reading Purple Hibiscus because I had already bought it. It was so tedious reading it! I have not read and will not read any other of her works. Her style of narration doesn't really impress me.
no be una dey get time for literal works of fictional stories when i dey find how to eat......make she kukuma read her books jor
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by oobim(m): 5:02pm On Jul 16, 2013
Ok, take it easy on her y'al. When you know what you have and who you're, you're bound to be very confident, which people mistake for arrogance.
Chimamanda is one of the best out of Africa. She's a strong woman, I love her kind.

And why did the tout cus.s like that? Would he have cus.sed if a fellow man made same statement?na wah
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by tpia5: 5:10pm On Jul 16, 2013
shine12:

Go and read my post very well.I'm talking about Chimamanda(She studied at Drexel, transffered to Eastern connecticut then post grad at John Hopkins and later Yale. She completed a fellowship at harvard last year. Yes Achebe studied at UI

My point was "exposure" does not automatically confer creativity and expertise, it depends on your subject matter, how comfortable you are with the material, your own innate storytelling skills as well as a host of other factors.

Thats why i consider diasporan literature a different pot of fish than continental african writing.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by garri4all: 5:18pm On Jul 16, 2013
I never liked her, I just couldn't bring myself to. She has this holier than thou personality or how do I put it.....hmm like I am real, natural......I'm intelligent, the best and know what I am doing, the rest of you are stupid and so should Bleep off. She looks like someone who will be very good at slighting people, not directly but mockingly.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 16, 2013
When I was just beginning to like her.

Caine Prize that a Nigerian has won multiple times out of all African literary writers should be encouraged and not disrespected.

She's simply making her bed.....if people should get on her azz, she'll claim "envy, hatred and jealousy".

Her foolishness should be curbed.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by iykofias(m): 5:22pm On Jul 16, 2013
slap1: I wanted to say that you don't know Nigerian literature, but I realized that your opinion is your entitlement.
Adichie is good, no doubt, but you don't mention her in the same sentence with the surreal Soyinka or the pre-gifted Achebe. Not yet.
And you forget (or are not aware maybe) of the generation of Buchi Emecheta or Flora Nwapa? Joys of Motherhood and Efuru, I dare say, are much deeper, engaging and richer than Adichie's works, so far.
Purple Hibiscus is good, but that's all. It's nothing exceptional. I rate Kaine Agary's Yellow Yellow above it.
Please, take time to read other great Nigerian writers, not just the hyped or favoured ones.
oh,joy of mother_dat was a classic art,total brilliant in evri word

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Inoknowbook: 5:22pm On Jul 16, 2013
You guys that are trying to make a mountain out of what Chimamanda said are just crazy and are bereft of understanding. Most of you must have said one way or the other, and for that matter correctly, that the fact that someone was crowned Miss World does not mean that the person is the most beautiful person. That was the same analogy Chimamanda was trying to make as regards the Caine's award. As simple as that. The fact that some people were shortlisted for the award does not mean that they are the best in Africa. There are many unsung writers with good literary work out there, who for lack of exposure, were never nominated.

Besides, most of you neglected the nature of the question by the so called interviewer. The interviewer was deliberately trying to be a jack a**. He or she wanted to rub it into her that she was not amongst those shortlisted, and she reacted the way she did. Most people in her shoes would have reacted in such manner. That question is what the American press will call a 'gotcha question', and was totally uncalled for.

Finally, If I were to be one of the Caine awards umpires, I will immediately drop the name of Abubakar from the shortlist, for being so unprofessional in his reply to Chimamanda's interview. Why should he reply in such in a manner befitting a thug or hooligan? Perhaps, he's one. He does not deserve to be on that list and should be esponged.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 16, 2013
I no know book:
You guys that are trying to make a mountain out of what Chimamanda said are just crazy and are bereft of understanding. Most of you must have said one way or the other, and for that matter correctly, that the fact that someone was crowned Miss World does not mean that the person is the most beautiful person. That was the same analogy Chimamanda was trying to make as regards the Caine's award. As simple as that. The fact that some people were shortlisted for the award does not mean that they are the best in Africa. There are many unsung writers with good literary work out there, who for lack of exposure, were never nominated.

Besides, most of you neglected the nature of the question by the so called interviewer. The interviewer was deliberately trying to be a jack a**. He or she wanted to rub it into her that she was not amongst those shortlisted, and she reacted the way she did. Most people in her shoes would have reacted in such manner. That question is what the American press will call a 'gotcha question', and was totally uncalled for.

Finally, If I were to be one of the Caine awards umpires, I will immediately drop the name of Abubakar from the shortlist, for being so unprofessional in his reply to Chimamanda's interview. Why should he reply in such in a manner befitting a thug or hooligan? Perhaps, he's one. He does not deserve to be on that list and should be esponged.

Why not simply shut up if you have nothing reasonable to say. You think you've helped her abi?

Where has any of the Caine writers claimed to be the best or superior to others? In understanding, if such statements were made, then her prideful utterance would have been understood.

Belittling African winners of the Caine prize award is nothing but immaturity on her part. She needs to understand the danger of her utterance.

If need be, both (Chi and Abdul) should apologize to each other and those nominated for this award.

What was her first award? Is everything not a stepping stone?
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2013
tpia@:

My point was "exposure" does not automatically confer creativity and expertise, it depends on your subject matter, how comfortable you are with the material, your own innate storytelling skills as well as a host of other factors.

Thats why i consider diasporan literature a different pot of fish than continental african writing.

You can't really call her a diasporan writer per se since she was born and raised in Nigeria. Schooling abroad doesn't necessarily change that - the woman in question is just fake. Also, her books are Nigerian-esque. And just because they're plain and they lack soul, that doesn't necessarily make them diasporan.

The likes of: Helen Oyeyemi, Nii Ayikwei Parkes, Onyeka, Diran Adebayo etc. should fall into that diasporan literature category.
Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 16, 2013
We're blaming the interviewers now, are we?

Is this her first time being interviewed?

Has she forgotten how to dignify her answers?

mtchewwwww cool

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by tlops(m): 5:31pm On Jul 16, 2013

Also, you do realize that Nigeria is the most populous country, and we have a crazy, chauvinistic nationalism. So when you say anything bad about Nigeria, we attack you, but when we all go back to Nigeria, we attack each other. That’s how it works. We’re very happy that there are four. Actually, we think all the people on the short list should be Nigerians, because we are born with the natural arrogance of the Nigerians. Of course, what’s wonderful is that there’s nothing to be arrogant about. Nigerians feel very superior to Ghana, for example, but then you go to Accra, and Accra actually works [laughs].

so true.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Classic (18+) [Book 2 of Xav-Verse] [Completed] / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.