Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Nigerian Jet For Malawian President - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Jet For Malawian President (22117 Views)

"Cameron Flew Commercial To China For £40B, 2016 PMB Flies Private Jet For $2b" / El-Rufai Arrives Bauchi In A Jet For Progressives Govs Forum..photos / New Boko Haram Video Mocks Nigeria Military With Downed Nigerian Jet Fighter Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by Lordave: 11:05am On Jul 16, 2013
ITbomb:
And technology is sitting in the comfort of ur house getting the figures of what the Senators are earning or how the allocations are shared . And barking on the internet about revolution.
U still can't do nothing Sir.
thank you very much.
Nigerian youths are just toothless bulldogs in politics.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by ekea2001: 11:06am On Jul 16, 2013
It's a pity this people aint listening.May there be a revolution in Nigeria.let's mobilize on the streets of Abuja and call for a change.from the National assembly of wasteful lawmakers to Aso rock
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by dare2think: 11:07am On Jul 16, 2013
[size=13pt]If and when the money runs out.

There will be war. All those edifices built with corrupt money will be razed down.

Vanity.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 16, 2013
LastApostle: The difference between Nigeria and other countries highlighted by the OP is that our money pumps in like water(OIL) while the other nations tax their citizens.

We are rich nation not by human resources but with natural endowments.

Btw... Airforce 1 jet of the American President can swallow all of Nigerias presidential fleet.
mumu airforce one is not a plane

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by FindOut(m): 11:08am On Jul 16, 2013
Some people will later ask us what Goodluck jonathan's crimes are. This artice should jolt the senses of every right thinking Nigerian. These guys have zero concern for the people. He presided over grand larceny in the name of subsidy payout, then what happened, he increased fuel price. The subsidy thieves are still hobnobbing with him in Abuja today.

Yet hungry Nigerians will echo the greed-induced sentiments of the grand beneficiaries of an incompetent and greedy leadership and still say they support Goodluck Jonathan because they don't want an aboki to get there. What logic! I still say that we never had it this bad under Sani Abacha and that is a fact. i may have been fairly young then, but I was not totally uninformed. PHCN for starters, was much better. profligacy in government was not to this extent. Frankly, i do not support a revolution per se due to its attendant negative consequences judging by the insensitive dolts at the top who wont hesitate to handle uprising the Ghadaffi or Omar Al-Bashir style, but the fact is THESE GUYS MUST GO either before or by 2015!

Goodluck supporters (not the paid ones tho), you guys really need to stop giving a sh''it about this guy and his cohorts coz fact is he doesn't give a damn about you all! he doesnt care if you keep groaning in pains and go hungry while he rides in 10 JETS! TEN!!! Who does that?

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 16, 2013
madness at its peak! even the richest man in the world doesn't have 10 aircraft. wasting money on irrelevant things.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by solomon111(m): 11:10am On Jul 16, 2013
The national assembly should order that atleast six of those jets be sold to private airlines or even the rich jet-owning pastors.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by Chanchit: 11:12am On Jul 16, 2013
I wish our leaders have conscience. If I try to burn myself like the Egyptian that burnt himself to death which in turn started the revolution, but if I try that one for this country na so so " eeyah, eeyah" our people go dey talk, but I need a gun really fast.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by Elueme: 11:12am On Jul 16, 2013
The government should consider reducing our no of fleet if we are serious on cutting down the cost of governance. However, there is nothing absolutely wrong in airlifting the Malawian president.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by solomon111(m): 11:12am On Jul 16, 2013
Find Out!:
Some people will later ask us what Goodluck jonathan's crimes are. This artice should jolt the senses of every right thinking Nigerian. These guys have zero concern for the people. He presided over grand larceny in the name of subsidy payout, then what happened, he increased fuel price. The subsidy thieves are still hobnobbing with him in Abuja today.

Yet hungry Nigerians will still say they support Gooduck Jonathan because they don't want an aboki to get there. What logic! I still say that we never had it this bad under Sani Abacha and that is a fact. i may have been fairly young then, but I was not totally uninformed. PHCN for starters, was much better. profligacy in government was not to this extent. Fankly, i do not support a revolution per se due to its attendant negative consequences judging by the insensitive dolts at the top who wont hesitate to handle uprising the ghadaffi or omar Al-Bashir style, but the fact is THESE GUYS MUST GO either before or by 2015!
Most of those jets were not bought in jonathan's administration.
If you're looking for who to hold responsible,OBJ is still alive.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by venorite(m): 11:13am On Jul 16, 2013
i dont understand what ure saying, so cos our money flow in form of oil makes 10 aircrafts reasonable??....and you cant compare america with nigeria, we re what they were in 16th century
LastApostle: The difference between Nigeria and other countries highlighted by the OP is that our money pumps in like water(OIL) while the other nations tax their citizens.

Btw... Airforce 1 jet of the American President can swallow all of Nigerias presidential fleet.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by FindOut(m): 11:15am On Jul 16, 2013
solomon111: Most of those jets were not bought in jonathan's administration.

They are here! making the usual excuse that our problems did not start under Jonathan. Did Joyce Banda buy the jet that she sold? Why didnt Jonathan sell the jets Obasanjo left? WHY DID HE BUY MORE? Oya answer.

there you have the difference between a leader who comes in to solve problems and a leader who comes in to create more saying that afterall, he didnt start it! You see yourself now?

19 Likes

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by Nobody: 11:16am On Jul 16, 2013
This story only tells me one thing: Malawi doesn't have any presidential Jet, while Nigeria has excessive presidential jets.

No be so??

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by texaco1: 11:16am On Jul 16, 2013
geeez: Trust me some people will come here and defend GEJ for wanting to buy more planes than the Malawian president has in her fleet of cars

The amount spent on the maintenance of these aircrafts can build a power plant for a community in a year

This is the main problem

" and
our under-performing legislators
have no reason to keep approving
new purchases or the billions of
naira they appropriate for their
maintenance each year."
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by solomon111(m): 11:18am On Jul 16, 2013
Find Out!:

They are here! making the usual excuse that our problems did not start under Jonathan. Did Joyce Banda buy the jet that she sold? Why didnt Jonathan sell the jets Obasanjo left? WHY DID HE BUY MORE? Oya answer.
The national assembly should be the one to authorize the sale of those jets,and not the president.
The jets does not belong to jonathan,it belongs to Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by Lordlexy: 11:20am On Jul 16, 2013
Maxymilliano:

It doesn't make any economic sense to continue keeping 10 aircraft for a government that is serious in curbing fiscal profligacy, the cost of maintenance and associated charges in keeping 10 aircraft is not healthy for the economy

Ihe grossly under-perforimg and under-productive legislatures should also wake up to their responsibilities and provide a semblance of checks on some of the activities of the executive rather than just serving as leeches and getting paid for doing next to nothing ...
A repentant Maximilliano. Welcome home prodigal son, we've been expecting you. That been said, i suppose, it is d same thing d opposition and offcourse well meaning Nigerians have been saying about d inability of d executive to limit its spending on frivoulities and channel such fund to generate employment. A government that is serious about providing gains of electoral promises will never engage in such excesses. This is a clear case of abuse of executive power, wastefulness and recklessness without d slightess interest of the masses at heart.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by dazzy4real(m): 11:21am On Jul 16, 2013
angryRevolution is the key!
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by texaco1: 11:22am On Jul 16, 2013
solomon111: Most of those jets were not bought in jonathan's administration.
My brother I wonder oo,they want gej to start selling off the presidential jets .these are fg properties and they don't belong to gej,if anything it is the law makers that should scrutinise fg budget for these jet and make a drastic cut in it.gej is maintaining what he met ,yet if he starts selling them,nigerians will be the first to say he is selling them to his friends
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by 5much(m): 11:22am On Jul 16, 2013
10 aircrafts. dis is not fair to our generation. OH GOODNESS.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by bellong: 11:23am On Jul 16, 2013
Chanchit: I wish our leaders have conscience. If I try to burn myself like the Egyptian that burnt himself to death which in turn started the revolution, but if I try that one for this country na so so " eeyah, eeyah" our people go dey talk, but I need a gun really fast.

It was a Tunisian ( Mohamed Bouazizi) who burnt himself and not an Egyptian. Moreover, Nigerians are too selfish to initiate any revolution. Only mere imagination of some folks, reason why those in government care less about the masses.

The small fuel subsidy protest was jeopardized by the very masses always screaming revolution at every government misdeed. We can't simply put our money where our mouth is.

Forget about revolution my brother.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by SamAfrik(m): 11:23am On Jul 16, 2013
Our politicians are bunch of embarrasment. I'm not sure they know d essence of leadership.
As for master GEJ, well 2015 is waiting for him.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by vanstanzy(m): 11:24am On Jul 16, 2013
What can i say! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by texaco1: 11:24am On Jul 16, 2013
solomon111: The national assembly should be the one to authorize the sale of those jets,and not the president.
Pls help me tell them oo,it seems many ppl here on nairaland they have devoted their time in finding accusations and faults in gej.I think even when they sleep they are thinking of what next to accuse gej of
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by dare2think: 11:24am On Jul 16, 2013

What about the Finance minister's warning of money running out?

Our 'natural endowments' are being mismanaged and hardly filthers down to the average citizen, so the President curbing excesses as precaution and example to others would be exemplary.

No matter how you try to spin it, 10 jets is indicative of a souless leader surrounded by greedy advisers. We as citizens should not encourage this sort of behaviour regarless of our affiliations
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by FindOut(m): 11:25am On Jul 16, 2013
solomon111: The national assembly should be the one to authorize the sale of those jets,and not the president.

You are being clever by half. With all due respect (if any is needed at this point), the bolded is the most idiotic statement I've read today.

As usual, the federal executive council meeting yesterday was devoted to the approval of contracts, the biggest of which was the purchase of three new jets for the Presidential Air Fleet. The planes, which include a Gulfstream G550 and two new Falcon 7X Aircraft, will cost the country $154.3 million or N23.2 billion.

This is coming a few weeks after two aircraft in the presidential fleet developed technical faults and delayed President Goodluck Jonathan’s return from Uganda where he had gone to attend the African Union summit. As a result, Mr Jonathan couldn’t attend the federal executive council meeting, which had to be chaired by Vice President Namadi Sambo.

A growing fleet

The presidential fleet currently boasts of eight aircraft - including three jets. It consists of a 70-tonne Boeing business jet bought in 2006 by former President Olusegun Obasanjo. In addition, there are the Gulfstream V, and Gulfstream IVSP, and two Falcon 900s.

The Federal Government had proposed to buy four more aircraft for the presidential fleet, according to the 2010 Appropriation Bill recently passed by the National Assembly.

The expenditure item, which came under the “Intelligence Community” budget, listed the cost of purchasing “4 Nos Presidential Air Craft” at $210 million, which is about N31.5 billion, although only N23.4 billion is to be provided for it in this fiscal year.

The Minister of Information and Communications, Dora Akunyili, said after the weekly FEC meeting which was chaired by Mr Jonathan, that the purchase price for the two falcon aircraft is $102.2million while the Gulfstream will be bought for $53.3million.

Mr. President briefed council through a memo on the negotiations recently concluded with the representative of Dassault Aviation of France and Gulfstream Aerospace Corporation of USA, for the purchase of two new Falcon aircraft and one Gulfstream G550 respectively, for the Presidential Air Fleet (PAF) and sought council’s approval to purchase the three aircrafts,” Mrs. Akunyili said.

She added that, following a presidential directive, the definite purchase agreement was negotiated and signed on the May 26 this year with the aviation companies.

Good bargain

She said, “the committee set up for the negotiation of the acquisition of the aircraft was able to get a reduction of the sum of $2.9 million from the proposed price of the two Falcon 7X aircraft and a reduction of the sum of $5.4 million from the offer price of the Gulfstream G550 aircraft”.

One of the Falcons will be delivered soon enough while the rest planes wait till next year. “The first Falcon aircraft being purchased will be delivered by the end of the fourth quarter of 2010, while the second Falcon and the Gulf stream G550 will be delivered by the end of second quarter 2011” Mrs Akunyili said.

She disclosed that “the sum of N21 billion has been provided in the 2010 Appropriation for outright purchase of two Falcon 7X aircraft and one G550 to be delivered as agreed in the contract.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5605346-146/jonathan_buys_n23b_jets__.csp

I doubt the if the FEC are aware of what their priorities should.

So many questions,

1) Do we really need more than two presidential jets, if not one?
2) Could the money have been used to develop Air Nigeria instead?
3) Does the British PM not fly British Airways?

https://www.nairaland.com/495811/jonathan-buys-n23b-jets

This was a few months after GEJ became President. Apparently, they have bought even more.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by lacasa: 11:28am On Jul 16, 2013
All we do is complain n defend pot bellied aristos.

Wyl our mates r changing the status quo in Egypt, Bahrain and the U.S

Abeg! i'm done commentinng over n over again like a broken record.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by Demdem(m): 11:32am On Jul 16, 2013
Jonathan at his best.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by UzzyPO: 11:34am On Jul 16, 2013
Double194:
Am so sorry to say this, but U are very stpyd. U think bein extravagant with public fund is right cos of lack of accountability? U think accountability is a one man affair? U think Abuja is far? Dude U seriously need to get intouch with technology.

I don't think he intended to justify extravagance. I reckon what he is trying to say is that the Nigerian citizenry are too docile to demand accountability. In other countries, this would have drawn massive protests. It is nice that such topics are being drawn to our national consciousness but in the end, all we do is speak big grammar with little or no attendant action. Accountability will start when we start demanding explanations from LG chairmen who will be forced to respond by demanding answers from their Oga at the top as well until it reaches the seat of power. Recent events in Brazil should act as a classic example to Nigerians.We cannot continue to disparage societal ills whilst standing arms akimbo and leave the battle for God. You cannot be 35 and going to church everyday to pray for a job miracle when there is a govt in place to serve you. And the sad part is that whilst the illiterate thugs are start to fade away, we are breeding a new sect of semi-literate and well-educated criminals!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by 1988: 11:34am On Jul 16, 2013
[quote author=ITbomb]Malawi just could not afford to keep the jets but Nigeria could
What is the essence of the African brotherhood if not to help one another .
That the government is spending excessively and the citizens lack to will to question or stop it should not be the fault of Jonathan.
The logic is this , if Nigerians cannot question their LGA Chairmen about the over N50m coming to council every months , why should they bother about how FG in far away Abuja is spending the free , unaccounted money[/quot
e]
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by Lordlexy: 11:34am On Jul 16, 2013
ITbomb: Malawi just could not afford to keep the jets but Nigeria could
That the government is spending excessively and the citizens lack to will to question or stop it should not be the fault of Jonathan.
The logic is this , if Nigerians cannot question their LGA Chairmen about the over N50m coming to council every months , why should they bother about how FG in far away Abuja is spending the free , unaccounted money
You are logically impaired. Who said Nigerians don't question d absordity and wastefulness of gov't? Even if u want to defer, next time, try to inject a bit of sense to it. The fact tat Nigerians don't question gov't doesn't give her licence to milk her dry. I don't know why i responded to ur post, u are not diff from d corrupt gov't we condemn. You are a corrupt minded person.
Re: Nigerian Jet For Malawian President by 1988: 11:35am On Jul 16, 2013
[quote author=ITbomb]Malawi just could not afford to keep the jets but Nigeria could
The logic is this , if Nigerians cannot question their LGA Chairmen about the over N50m coming to council every months , why should they bother about how FG in far away Abuja is spending the free , unaccounted money[/quot
e] dude u shud ve fck d up and read comments instead of making ppl see hw dum.b u are

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nembe Youths Shut Down OML29 Oil Well Located In Nembe - Bayelsa / 2023 Presidency: Why I Will Pick Tinubu Over Osinbajo - Hon Bosun Oladele / They Have Killed My Son - Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.