Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist (6145 Views)

Let Us Be More Tolerant Of Each Other / For Your Amusement: Meet The "Tolerant" Sodomites . . .It Really Isn't Amusing / Christianity, Islam, African Traditional Religion, Which Is More Tolerant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Mranony: 5:34am On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Notice your own admission in bold?

Furthermore, please dont talk nonsense about me. Have you seen me on the street shouting at a stranger for atheism?
Tommorow, Anony will come and say Logicboy is abusive
Haahahaha................quote mining me doesn't help you. From the onset, no one ever said he represents all atheists. So you really have no points.

By the way, we both know that you totally agree with what he said. He is only a more colorful character. Feel free to be offended.
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Vansnickers: 7:13am On Jul 17, 2013
mazaje:

LOL! The guy is a christian actor. . .Here is another christian actor posing as an ex muslim. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRDyOaCJ3t0

Lmao! These people like to deceive themselves.
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 8:03am On Jul 17, 2013
Mr anony:

Can anyone tell me what his problem is?

Morning Anony,

Lol!!!

Funny display indeed!

The guy has a lot of ish but the underlying ish for me is that he accuses everyone into religion of some things he is guilty of. For starters, he is not tolerant and he makes hasty generalizations.

Anyways, I don't think that's the way most Atheists argue, or at least the ones I have come across. There might be some who act the same way but I am yet to see that on nairaland at least.

I quite agree with some peeps that the video seem staged and I am of the opinion that if this was supposed to portray Atheism and Atheists in bad light, they really missed the mark by a mile...
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by MrTroll(m): 8:36am On Jul 17, 2013
^^^
Hmmmm. Nice objective analysis.
You just burst some peoples bubble grin

I wonder how it was that somebody just happened to have a video camera around to tape the event from the onset...
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Mranony: 9:04am On Jul 17, 2013
striktlymi:
Morning Anony,

Lol!!!

Funny display indeed!

The guy has a lot of ish but the underlying ish for me is that he accuses everyone into religion of some things he is guilty of. For starters, he is not tolerant and he makes hasty generalizations.
Ok

Anyways, I don't think that's the way most Atheists argue, or at least the ones I have come across. There might be some who act the same way but I am yet to see that on nairaland at least.
First of all no one has said that that is the way most atheists argue in the sense of his shouting and screaming however in the sense of the actual argument he is making, that is exactly the way a majority of internet atheists argue.
If you doubt this, watch the video again listen to what he is saying - imagine he was not shouting but was typing his words on a computer - and I assure you that is exactly the way people like logicboy and ooman argue.

You can always prove me wrong by showing me by telling me how much of what he said you think our nairaland atheists would disagree with

I quite agree with some peeps that the video seem staged and I am of the opinion that if this was supposed to portray Atheism and Atheists in bad light, they really missed the mark by a mile...
Do you have any evidence for your belief that it was staged? Or it is just a hunch because you believe no one is actually that crazy.
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Emusan(m): 9:04am On Jul 17, 2013
mazaje:
Straw man. . .When and where did I ever tell you about any first cell?
Because you believe in theory of evolution.

You do NOT know have life on earth began period.

Is it 'you' or 'we'? If it is you, well I know how life began but if it is we(atheist) then how Dawkin is so sure that only one life started it all and how does he know much about life despite that he doesn't know life origin?

That you chose to believe that some superstitious Jewish mythical invention did it is your own problem.

You call it superstition but your own that doesn't know know the origin of life is not superstition, hnmm!

By the way how do you go from the earth was created to asinine claims that the bible is the word of the creator of the universe. . .Does the character portrayed in the bible resemble an entity that can create anything talk more of the universe?

Just resemble the myth of big ba.ng ofcourse.

How does this prove that the god idea created by the ancient Jews exist in reality?. . .

Why can't you answer 'yes or no' efore you ask your own question?
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by mazaje(m): 9:32am On Jul 17, 2013
Emusan:
Because you believe in theory of evolution.

I told you this when and where?. . .

Is it 'you' or 'we'? If it is you, well I know how life began but if it is we(atheist) then how Dawkin is so sure that only one life started it all and how does he know much about life despite that he doesn't know life origin?

Tell me how life began. . .What was used in creating cells for example. . .How were cells created and what was used in creating them. . .When was the first cell created?. . .And how did you know this to be true?. . .Pls tell. . .Don't go about referring me to quote from ancient religious mythical books. . .Cos i will only laugh at you. . .

You call it superstition but your own that doesn't know know the origin of life is not superstition, hnmm!

I have never claimed to know how life began. . .That is a question NO one knows. . .You are just happy to believe the superstition you have been indoctrinated with since childhood that's all. ..

Just resemble the myth of big ba.ng ofcourse.

There is much more evidence for the big ba.ng than evidence that Yahweh spoke things into existence using the hebrew language. . .

Why can't you answer 'yes or no' efore you ask your own question?

How does this prove that the god idea created by the ancient Jews exist in reality?. . .
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 17, 2013
Mr anony:
Ok

Cool!

Mr anony:
First of all no one has said that that is the way most atheists argue

Not quite...

It's actually not about what someone said but what the caption on the video says...I agree that I omitted the 'internet' thingy but my comment is in response to the caption on that video...the comment can be modified thus:

"Anyways, I don't think that's the way most Internet Atheists argue, or at least the ones I have come across. There might be some who act the same way but I am yet to see that on nairaland at least."

Mr anony:
in the sense of his shouting and screaming however in the sense of the actual argument he is making, that is exactly the way a majority of internet atheists argue.

I disagree with the above from the viewpoint of the video...

I agree that I can't tell what you had in mind but if we are to go by just the OP and the video therein then it can be inferred directly that the OP wasn't just referring to the argument style of the dude but also the manner of delivery, which include shouting and screaming.

Mr anony:
If you doubt this, watch the video again listen to what he is saying - imagine he was not shouting but was typing his words on a computer - and I assure you that is exactly the way people like logicboy and ooman argue.

You can always prove me wrong by showing me by telling me how much of what he said you think our nairaland atheists would disagree with

Lol!!!...C'mon now Anony, Logicboy and ooman do not constitute the majority of nairaland Atheists...

Well, I will watch the video again but before I do and respond to the above, can you sincerely say that when you met logicboy in person his argument style was exactly what is depicted in the video?...at least then there was no barrier like the internet to get in the way.

Mr anony:
Do you have any evidence for your belief that it was staged? Or it is just a hunch because you believe no one is actually that crazy.

Not quite still...

I don't think I have expressed what I believe about the status of the video i.e. whether it was staged or not...

But I do believe I only expressed some reservations about it...
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Mranony: 10:05am On Jul 17, 2013
striktlymi:

Cool!

Not quite...

It's actually not about what someone said but what the caption on the video says...I agree that I omitted the 'internet' thingy but my comment is in response to the caption on that video...the comment can be modified thus:

"Anyways, I don't think that's the way most Internet Atheists argue, or at least the ones I have come across. There might be some who act the same way but I am yet to see that on nairaland at least."
Lol, what are you yet to see on Nairaland? The argument or the tone of voice?

I disagree with the above from the viewpoint of the video...

I agree that I can't tell what you had in mind but if we are to go by just the OP and the video therein then it can be inferred directly that the OP wasn't just referring to the argument style of the dude but also the manner of delivery, which include shouting and screaming.

I wonder exactly what triggered your inferences but that neither here nor there. Now I have been specific about exactly what I am referring to, do you think his arguments differ from typical internet atheist arguments?

Lol!!!...C'mon now Anony, Logicboy and ooman do not constitute the majority of nairaland Atheists...
I never said they did. I only named them as prominent examples.

Well, I will watch the video again but before I do and respond to the above, can you sincerely say that when you met logicboy in person his argument style was exactly what is depicted in the video?...at least then there was no barrier like the internet to get in the way.
As I said earlier, Logicboy may not shout and scream like the dude in the video, but Logicboy makes the same arguments.

Not quite still...

I don't think I have expressed what I believe about the status of the video i.e. whether it was staged or not...

But I do believe I only expressed some reservations about it...
C'mon now, you are fence sitting again. Here is what you said:

"I quite agree with some peeps that the video seem staged and I am of the opinion that if this was supposed to portray Atheism and Atheists in bad light, they really missed the mark by a mile..."

It is quite clear that you were telling us your opinion and not merely "expressing a reservation"
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 17, 2013
Mr anony:

I wonder exactly what triggered your inferences but that neither here nor there. Now I have been specific about exactly what I am referring to, do you think his arguments differ from typical internet atheist arguments?

As I said earlier, Logicboy may not shout and scream like the dude in the video, but Logicboy makes the same arguments.

"I quite agree with some peeps that the video seem staged and I am of the opinion that if this was supposed to portray Atheism and Atheists in bad light, they really missed the mark by a mile..."

It is quite clear that you were telling us your opinion and not merely "expressing a reservation"

As promised, let me see the video again before responding to the above.
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Mranony: 11:25am On Jul 17, 2013
striktlymi:

As promised, let me see the video again before responding to the above.
ok
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 17, 2013
Mr anony:

I just took a look at the video again and the truth is...the dude reminds me more of some nairaland Theists and their argument style as against most Atheists and their argument style on nairaland.

Lets walkthrough some examples:

The dude said:

"...I will be a lot 'freer' if people like you are put in prison for the collective crime of racism...";

Pastor Bakare said all GO's and religious leaders should be locked up in prison...a speech some Christians here supported===>> https://www.nairaland.com/1101023/all-gos-religious-leaders-must#12937002

The dude said:

"...ALL you God bla bla are war criminals...";

A Christian likened the old testament as an X-rated horror story with war criminals...===>> https://www.nairaland.com/1354454/old-testament-bible-x-rated#16731550

The dude said: "...Hitler was a practicing catholic...";

Some time ago a nairaland muslim also made similar claims...===>> https://www.nairaland.com/376517/father-terrorist-adolf-hitler-catholic#5255394

...and the list goes on.

So it's not just about the tone of voice but also about the claim that most internet Atheists have a similar argument style...

Now unless you can tell me how many Atheists we have on nairaland and how many argue in that way (which should be more than 50%) then I still do not agree with the assessment.

Mr anony:

The triggers include:

1) The caption on the video.
2) The video itself.
3) The OP only asked what the dude's problem is.
4) The OP did not exclude the dude's shouting as part of the assessment.

@Bold: I think his argument defer from the argument style of a 'majority' of the Atheists I have interacted with or read their posts here on nairaland.

Mr anony:

Oh, okay...so are we still talking about most internet Atheists or some internet Atheists? Maybe some examples of their posts would help.

Mr anony:

The exact same argument? The dude in the video said some things I believe LB would disagree with.

Mr anony:

Lol!!!

Fencing?

The bold is not the same as saying: "I believe the video is staged".

I can't say categorically that the video was staged and I can't also say that it wasn't but when you see a video of a guy who claims to be jogging but is without a pair of shoes, and there is no iota of sweat on his body then that gives room for suspicion.

1 Like

Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 17, 2013
striktlymi:

I just took a look at the video again and the truth is...the dude reminds me more of some nairaland Theists and their argument style as against most Atheists and their argument style on nairaland.

The dude said:

"...I will be a lot 'freer' if people like you are put in prison for the collective crime of racism...";

Pastor Bakare said all GO's and religious leaders should be locked up in prison...a speech some Christians here supported===>> https://www.nairaland.com/1101023/all-gos-religious-leaders-must#12937002

The dude said:

A Christian likened the old testament as an X-rated horror story with war criminals...===>> https://www.nairaland.com/1354454/old-testament-bible-x-rated#16731550

Some time ago a nairaland muslim also made similar claims...===>> https://www.nairaland.com/376517/father-terrorist-adolf-hitler-catholic#5255394

...and the list goes on.

So it's not just about the tone of voice but also about the claim that most internet Atheists have a similar argument style...

Now unless you can tell me how many Atheists we have on nairaland and how many argue in that way (which should be more than 50%) then I still do not agree with the assessment.

The triggers include:

2) The video itself.
4) The OP did not exclude the dude's shouting as part of what should be overlooked.

@Bold: I think his argument defer from the argument style of a 'majority' of the Atheists I have interacted with or read their posts here on nairaland.

Oh, okay...so are we still talking about most internet Atheists or some internet Atheists? Maybe some examples of their posts would help.

The exact same argument? The dude in the video said some things I believe LB would disagree with.

Lol!!!

Fencing?

I can't say categorically that the video was staged and I can't also say that it wasn't but when you see a video of a guy who claims to be jogging but is without a pair of shoes, and there is no iota of sweat on his body then that gives room for suspicion.

Thank you striklymi!

You exposed Anony clean and clear. I approve this commenty
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Thank you striklymi!

You exposed Anony clean and clear. I approve this commenty

Approval ke?...Afraid is catching me...
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by MrTroll(m): 12:59pm On Jul 17, 2013
striktlymi:

don't be afraid. RECEIVE IT!!! *blows into microphone* grin
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Mranony: 1:43pm On Jul 17, 2013
Lol, I think I smell some dishonesty on your part my friend. Let's read your answer

striktlymi: I just took a look at the video again and the truth is...the dude reminds me more of some nairaland Theists and their argument style as against most Atheists and their argument style on nairaland.

The dude said:

Comparing apples with oranges now are we? Is it Bakare's position that Christianity is racist? Absolutely not.

The dude said:

Again, was the person from the thread you posted accusing Christians of being war criminals? Absolutely not.

...and the list goes on.
The question is in what sense is he saying Hitler is a catholic? The dude in the video is arguing that Hitler's "belief" in God made him commit mass murder. Interestingly, the muslim in question got his arguments from an atheist website.

Lol, we have just seen you compare unrelated contexts in your desperate bid to defend the indefensible. Are you sure the dude actually reminded you of nairaland theists or did you purposely go on a search for nairaland theists to be "reminded" of

Hahahaha....now he gives me an unreasonable task. Why don't we do something more reasonable. Since we both don't know exactly how many atheists are on NL, why don't you give me a list of some nairaland atheists that do not hold the view that Christianity supports slavery, homophobia and racism. And if I can give you a longer list of nairaland atheists who believe this, I will have justified my claim.

Mind you, silence does not mean for neither does it mean against.

The triggers include:

2) The video itself.
4) The OP did not exclude the dude's shouting as part of the assessment.
ok

i don't think so, I'll say they are very similar they hold mostly the same views, use profane language, accuse Christians of all sorts of ills that Christ has no part in, claim that christians are not rational prior to even discussing with them.

I'll provide the posts you need when you accept my challenge i.e. when we go toe to toe with each other providing those for and against the idea that Christianity is hateful, irrational, homophobic, racist and in support of oppressive slavery. For each example I provide, I will do so with evidence from their posts. I will require of you to do the same as well.

What parts do you think logicboy would disagree with?

Lol!!!

Fencing?

The bold is exactly what i mean by sitting on the fence. If you think it is staged, say so, if not say so. I can't argue against a vacuum my friend.
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2013
Mr anony: Lol, I think I smell some dishonesty on your part my friend. Let's read your answer

The above seems more like Ad hominem...

Mr anony:
Comparing apples with oranges now are we? Is it Bakare's position that Christianity is racist? Absolutely not.

Again, was the person from the thread you posted accusing Christians of being war criminals? Absolutely not.

The question is in what sense is he saying Hitler is a catholic? The dude in the video is arguing that Hitler's "belief" in God made him commit mass murder. Interestingly, the muslim in question got his arguments from an atheist website.

WRONG!!!

If I saw an Ape and the thought of Obasanjo comes to mind, does this mean I am comparing Apples with Oranges? NO!!!

I saw the video twice and the way the guy went about his argument (if I would call what he did an argument) reminded me more of the way some Theists argue...

That is not an unfair comparison but what it reminded me of...some pointers would be:

1) The guy was not tolerant and really took some extreme positions. Bakare too was not tolerant and his position was also extreme.

2) The guy was guilty of some of the things he spoke about. Bakare forgot that he was a GO too and whether he likes it or not, he is wealthy.

3) The guy painted a deceitful picture about the Catholic church and Hitler. The Muslim dude did the same.

4) For a Christian to say that the old testament is filled with horror and habors war criminals is a direct attack on God himself. We cannot separate God from Christianity. An attack on God is an attack on Christianity. Which is no different from what the dude in the video demonstrated.

5) If you look at the video and the way the guy was breathing fire and brimstone, this reminds me of the attacks of some nairaland Christians who make comments and threats just because someone else holds a different opinion from theirs. I am sure you know that it is easier to have a conversation with some nairaland Atheists than some nairaland Christians.

I can go on but this would make the post a bit too long.

Mr anony:
Lol, we have just seen you compare unrelated contexts in your desperate bid to defend the indefensible.

Desperate bid to defend? What reason do I have to defend Atheists, more so LB? If you were talking about a Catholic, maybe we would have understood that I may have some sentiments but LB?? Haba!!!

Mr anony:
Are you sure the dude actually reminded you of nairaland theists or did you purposely go on a search for nairaland theists to be "reminded" of

Oh, now you ask!...Yes, the dude reminds me of the argument style of some Theists as against the argument style of most Atheists...and the last time I checked, there is no rule against backing one's position with some examples.

Mr anony:
Hahahaha....now he gives me an unreasonable task. Why don't we do something more reasonable. Since we both don't know exactly how many atheists are on NL, why don't you give me a list of some nairaland atheists that do not hold the view that Christianity supports slavery, homophobia and racism. And if I can give you a longer list of nairaland atheists who believe this, I will have justified my claim.

Oh, you think the task is unreasonable? I guess now you see why it would be unreasonable for me to accept your position that the dude argues like most nairaland Atheists...If you do not know how many constitute the majority of nairaland Atheists, how then do we safely conclude that most of them argue in the exact same manner? This is at best, the fallacy of hasty generalisation.

Now, the list you speak of will not serve any practical purpose because whether you can provide a longer list or not would still not tell us whether your list constitute a majority of nairaland Atheists...sorry to say but you took a position you cannot defend. If you don't know what the majority is, then you cannot say the dude argues like the majority.

I didn't fail to notice how you chipped in the 'silence does not mean consent or disapproval' card which makes your challenge unreasonable too.

Mr anony:
ok

Cool!

Mr anony:
i don't think so, I'll say they are very similar they hold mostly the same views, use profane language, accuse Christians of all sorts of ills that Christ has no part in, claim that christians are not rational prior to even discussing with them.

Okay, since we are working with the new position of the goal post, in the light of the OP then I will say that some Atheists actually use profane language and accuse Christians of all sorts but I still do not agree that these constitute the majority, unless you can give me proof.

Now, I bet you that some Theists also accuse their fellow Theists of all sorts and use profane language too. If they do these to their brethren then what will they not say against Atheists?

Mr anony:
I'll provide the posts you need when you accept my challenge i.e. when we go toe to toe with each other providing those for and against the idea that Christianity is hateful, irrational, homophobic, racist and in support of oppressive slavery. For each example I provide, I will do so with evidence from their posts. I will require of you to do the same as well.

Like I mentioned before, the challenge will serve no practical purpose for the same reason I gave. What you have on your hands is to show that majority of nairaland Atheists are like that but I believe you can't show it for obvious reasons.

Mr anony:
What parts do you think logicboy would disagree with?

I don't think LB would support the view that Christians should be put in prison. He has always maintained that he does not have any ish with secular Christians.

Mr anony:
The bold is exactly what i mean by sitting on the fence. If you think it is staged, say so, if not say so. I can't argue against a vacuum my friend.

That is not sitting on the fence. I gave at least one reason why I can't commit to a "Yes" or "No" and there is the option of "I cannot say"...The information we have does not permit one to make an informed conclusion. The best anyone can do is base his conclusion on speculation.
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2013
Striky my man!

Fire on!
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03: Striky my man!

Fire on!

Lol!!!

Now, tell me the truth...who are you? What have you done with LB?

I would understand one sentimental support from LB but two in one day is nothing short of a miracle...

Oya guy, if you kidnapped LB, I DEMAND his release with immediate effect or...
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 17, 2013
striktlymi:

Lol!!!

Now, tell me the truth...who are you? What have you done with LB?

I would understand one sentimental support from LB but two in one day is nothing short of a miracle...

Oya guy, if you kidnapped LB, I DEMAND his release with immediate effect or...

Maybe going to church has calmed me down.....Praise tha lord!
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Emusan(m): 9:13pm On Jul 17, 2013
mazaje:

I told you this when and where?. . .

Tell me how life began. . .What was used in creating cells for example. . .How were cells created and what was used in creating them. . .When was the first cell created?. . .And how did you know this to be true?. . .Pls tell. . .Don't go about referring me to quote from ancient religious mythical books. . .Cos i will only laugh at you. . .

I have never claimed to know how life began. . .That is a question NO one knows. . .You are just happy to believe the superstition you have been indoctrinated with since childhood that's all. ..

There is much more evidence for the big ba.ng than evidence that Yahweh spoke things into existence using the hebrew language. . .

This your question would've be a great opportunity for me to show you the lies of evolution but I don't want to extend this discusion than this because I don't want to derail Anony's thread. I will reply you in any of my thread where a case like this may appear.

Shalom!
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by UyiIredia(m): 9:21pm On Jul 17, 2013
striktlymi:

Catching ke ! My body just dey vibrate as logicboyism dey perform wonda !

@ logicboy: Kindly don't take me seriously.
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Catching ke ! My body just dey vibrate as logicboyism dey perform wonda !

@ logicboy: Kindly don't take me seriously.

Lol!!!

Longest time Imo river...
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by mazaje(m): 9:48pm On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03: Striky my man!

Fire on!

Some friendly fire from striktlymi. . . . grin
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Mranony: 6:17am On Jul 20, 2013
striktlymi:

The above seems more like Ad hominem...

WRONG!!!

If I saw an Ape and the thought of Obasanjo comes to mind, does this mean I am comparing Apples with Oranges? NO!!!

I saw the video twice and the way the guy went about his argument (if I would call what he did an argument) reminded me more of the way some Theists argue...

That is not an unfair comparison but what it reminded me of...some pointers would be:

1) The guy was not tolerant and really took some extreme positions. Bakare too was not tolerant and his position was also extreme.

2) The guy was guilty of some of the things he spoke about. Bakare forgot that he was a GO too and whether he likes it or not, he is wealthy.

3) The guy painted a deceitful picture about the Catholic church and Hitler. The Muslim dude did the same.

4) For a Christian to say that the old testament is filled with horror and habors war criminals is a direct attack on God himself. We cannot separate God from Christianity. An attack on God is an attack on Christianity. Which is no different from what the dude in the video demonstrated.

5) If you look at the video and the way the guy was breathing fire and brimstone, this reminds me of the attacks of some nairaland Christians who make comments and threats just because someone else holds a different opinion from theirs. I am sure you know that it is easier to have a conversation with some nairaland Atheists than some nairaland Christians.

I can go on but this would make the post a bit too long.
Well, I guess whatever came to your mind is what came to your mind

Desperate bid to defend? What reason do I have to defend Atheists, more so LB? If you were talking about a Catholic, maybe we would have understood that I may have some sentiments but LB?? Haba!!!
hmm...alrighty

Oh, now you ask!...Yes, the dude reminds me of the argument style of some Theists as against the argument style of most Atheists...and the last time I checked, there is no rule against backing one's position with some examples.
fair enough, if that's what came to your mind. I can't fault your mind for what comes to it first.

Oh, you think the task is unreasonable? I guess now you see why it would be unreasonable for me to accept your position that the dude argues like most nairaland Atheists...If you do not know how many constitute the majority of nairaland Atheists, how then do we safely conclude that most of them argue in the exact same manner? This is at best, the fallacy of hasty generalisation.

Now, the list you speak of will not serve any practical purpose because whether you can provide a longer list or not would still not tell us whether your list constitute a majority of nairaland Atheists...sorry to say but you took a position you cannot defend. If you don't know what the majority is, then you cannot say the dude argues like the majority.
Erhm this is just disingenious of you. I have not taken an unreasonable position rather you are the one trying to sneak away by making an unreasonable demand.
Assuming you made the claim that most human beings have two legs, it will unreasonable for me to argue that in order for you to prove that, you have to go round the world and count all the people with two legs and only when we have compared the number of two-legged people with the number of amputees can we uphold your claim. That's simply a ridiculous demand to make.
The easier and fairer way to go about would be to say "name as many amputees as you can while I name as many two legged people as I can. The longer list wins". This would be a reasonable demand within the scope of our resources and knowledge rather than attempting to send your opponent on a wild goose chase and then claiming his position has no merit because he won't chase your geese. C'mon striktlymi be serious.

I didn't fail to notice how you chipped in the 'silence does not mean consent or disapproval' card which makes your challenge unreasonable too.
No it doesn't make it unreasonable. I think it is only fair that we don't go about accusing people of things they never said. Wouldn't you agree?

Okay, since we are working with the new position of the goal post, in the light of the OP then I will say that some Atheists actually use profane language and accuse Christians of all sorts but I still do not agree that these constitute the majority, unless you can give me proof.
There is no new position of goal post. Most atheists on nairaland argue like the video guy and this includes swearing among other things). I have agreed to give you proof but I will do so within reason as I have proposed.....unless you are not interested in evidence but more interested in appealing to ignorance.

Now, I bet you that some Theists also accuse their fellow Theists of all sorts and use profane language too. If they do these to their brethren then what will they not say against Atheists?
Sure you will find some theists that cuss but they will still mostly disagree with our video dude

Like I mentioned before, the challenge will serve no practical purpose for the same reason I gave. What you have on your hands is to show that majority of nairaland Atheists are like that but I believe you can't show it for obvious reasons.
I don't have that task on my hands, just like I wouldn't have the task to take a census of the entire world in order to prove that majority of human beings are not amputees. That's simply irrational

I don't think LB would support the view that Christians should be put in prison. He has always maintained that he does not have any ish with secular Christians.
Lol, please what exactly is a "secular Christian"?

That is not sitting on the fence. I gave at least one reason why I can't commit to a "Yes" or "No" and there is the option of "I cannot say"...The information we have does not permit one to make an informed conclusion. The best anyone can do is base his conclusion on speculation.
What did you think sitting on the fence was before? If you cannot commit to a yes or no, you are sitting on the fence plain and simple. You have also given reasons for sitting on the fence.
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 20, 2013
Hello Anony,

Mr anony:
Well, I guess whatever came to your mind is what came to your mind

hmm...alrighty

fair enough, if that's what came to your mind. I can't fault your mind for what comes to it first.

Okay, cool!

Mr anony:
Erhm this is just disingenious of you. I have not taken an unreasonable position rather you are the one trying to sneak away by making an unreasonable demand.
Assuming you made the claim that most human beings have two legs, it will unreasonable for me to argue that in order for you to prove that, you have to go round the world and count all the people with two legs and only when we have compared the number of two-legged people with the number of amputees can we uphold your claim.

WRONG!!!

If I make the claim that most humans have two legs, it would be rather unreasonable for someone to challenge this position because this argument is based on facts.

FACT: majority of humans are born with two legs...

FACT: some humans (who are less than the majority) lose one or both legs before or during adulthood...

FACT: majority of humans have two legs...

We can easily ascertain the above through deductive reasoning, hence there is absolutely no need for the census you talked about because every statement there is based on facts.

Your argument on the other hand is not based on FACTS but your opinion. It is factual to say that some nairaland Atheists can argue in that way (with your new goal post) but it moves away from the realm of fact when you say that a majority of nairaland Atheists argue in like manner based solely on the video.

Mr anony:
That's simply a ridiculous demand to make.

I quite agree with this. The demand is rather ridiculous and that is why we are asked to avoid making blanket comments which boils down to the fallacy of hasty generalization; because committing this fallacy invites ridiculous demands.

Mr anony:
The easier and fairer way to go about would be to say "name as many amputees as you can while I name as many two legged people as I can. The longer list wins". This would be a reasonable demand within the scope of our resources and knowledge rather than attempting to send your opponent on a wild goose chase and then claiming his position has no merit because he won't chase your geese. C'mon striktlymi be serious.

WRONG still!!!

If your argument was: "Most internet (nairaland) Atheists you have come across argue in that way" then the above method of validating your claim would have been fair but that is not your claim...

Your argument is clear: "Most internet (nairaland) Atheists argue in like manner" and this line of argument places a heavier burden of proof.

Mr anony:
No it doesn't make it unreasonable. I think it is only fair that we don't go about accusing people of things they never said. Wouldn't you agree?

I am sorry if I accused you unfairly...that means I might have interpreted the following comment wrongly:

Mr anony:

Mr anony:
There is no new position of goal post. Most atheists on nairaland argue like the video guy and this includes swearing among other things).

Um...unless you show me from your OP where you mentioned "swearing among other things" and exclude the way the guy was shouting, then I maintain that the goal post was shifted.

Mr anony:
I have agreed to give you proof but I will do so within reason as I have proposed.....unless you are not interested in evidence but more interested in appealing to ignorance.

What you propose would imply that you shift your position to the lighter: "Most internet (nairaland) Atheists you have come across argue in that way"...if this is your new position then your challenge would be appropriate.

Mr anony:
Sure you will find some theists that do but they will still mostly disagree with our video dude

Lol!!! of course most (if not all) would disagree...which Christian would want to be 'compared' to an Atheist?...will Obasanjo accept that he looks like a gorilla? Lol!!! No offence intended...Anyways, even some Atheists would disagree with a number of what the dude said.

Mr anony:
I don't have that task on my hands, just like I wouldn't have the task to take a census of the entire world in order to prove that majority of human beings are not amputees. That's simply irrational

@Bold: Sure you do!!!

Mr anony:
Lol, please what exactly is a "secular Christian"?

Lol!!!

I don't know o! Ask LB, he gave the tag.

Mr anony:
What did you think sitting on the fence was before? If you cannot commit to a yes or no, you are sitting on the fence plain and simple. You have also given reasons for sitting on the fence.

I don't know about you but for me, when one is accused of "sitting on the fence" it shows a lack of courage to choose between two sides where there is enough evidence to show that either side may be right or wrong.

In this case, we do not have enough information to determine which side is right or wrong. It would be inappropriate to say one position is wrong while the other right when there is no evidence to show this.

If I should choose a "Yes" or "No" position based on the above constraint then I would be very partial. This is not sitting on the fence in my view.
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by MrTroll(m): 3:13pm On Jul 20, 2013
Imagine this scenario in a video. . .
A heavily built man is walking on the street and comes across two atheists discussing about the non-existence of god. He suddenly stops in front of them and starts screaming JESUS IS LORD! JESUS IS LORD!! JESUS IS LORD!!!
By now he's sweating, white shirt all soiled with his drooling spittle and sweat, face all contorted, fist waving, threatening both atheists with eternal damnation all the while spraying them with spit. He then concludes by shouting a bible quote at them: Psalm 14:1 and tells them, GOD IS REAL!!!

Now if i say all Christians argue like this man will i be wrong or right? Heck! You can just close your eyes and imagine that the man is not shouting and listen to his words only, afterall ALL christians would AGREE with ALL his statements. Abi?

Anony i hail o!

1 Like

Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 20, 2013
Mr Troll: Imagine this scenario in a video. . .
A heavily built man is walking on the street and comes across two atheists discussing about the non-existence of god. He suddenly stops in front of them and starts screaming JESUS IS LORD! JESUS IS LORD!! JESUS IS LORD!!!
By now he's sweating, white shirt all soiled with his drooling spittle and sweat, face all contorted, fist waving, threatening both atheists with eternal damnation all the while spraying them with spit. He then concludes by shouting a bible quote at them: Psalm 14:1 and tells them, GOD IS REAL!!!

Now if i say all Christians argue like this man will i be wrong or right? Heck! You can just close your eyes and imagine that the man is not shouting and listen to his words only, afterall ALL christians would AGREE with ALL his statements. Abi?

Anony i hail o!

The truth here would be that, a number of Christians would oppose it even if it was reduced to: "A majority of nairaland Christians argue like that".
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 20, 2013
Well done, Mr. Troll and Striklymi.

Mr. Troll's scenario is just perfect. Maybe Anony will realise the silliness of this thread after reading your post.
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by MrTroll(m): 4:11pm On Jul 20, 2013
Logicboy03: Well done, Mr. Troll and Striklymi.

Mr. Troll's scenario is just perfect. Maybe Anony will realise the silliness of this thread after reading your post.

Don't get your hopes up man. Its Anony remember? wink
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 20, 2013
Mr Troll: Don't get your hopes up man. Its Anony remember? wink

Its not Ihedinobi remember? Anony cant use the "misunderstood" escape card
Re: For Your Amusement: Meet The New "Tolerant" Village Atheist by MrTroll(m): 4:30pm On Jul 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

Its not Ihedinobi remember? Anony cant use the "misunderstood" escape card
Anonyism. Thats what he's known for. See his posts since striky started replying him. . .
Sometimes i feel that he deliberately does it. I imagine him in a large sofa, beer in hand, telling himself: "lets take this guy on a merry go round argument" grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Accept The Whole Truth By Pastor Adeboye / Do Islam Really Worship The Almighty God Or Moon-god?. / Winners Chapel To Lay Foundation Of 3rd University In January At Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.