Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,926 members, 7,814,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me (39313 Views)

Salmonella And Shigella Infection Is Killing Me, Please Help / The Legend Of The Toilet Infection; Is This The Cause Of Vaginal Discharge? / Bananas Prevent HIV Infection. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Frabidel(f): 5:57pm On Jul 17, 2013
From the depths of distress, disillusionment, dejection and the certainty of untimely death occasioned by HIV infection through blood transfusion at the tender age of 12, Gloria Asuquo, has risen to become a vibrant, assertive and ambitious young woman who is taking a decisive and incisive battle to one of the world’s most dreaded infectious disorders – HIV/AIDS.

In an encounter with Sola Ogundipe in Abuja, the energetic 24-year-old recounted the frustrations of living as a pauper in addition to the ignominy of HIV stigma and discrimination.

Today, Gloria who once contemplated death until sheer luck and doggedness turned her fortunes around and brought unhindered access to the elusive, life-saving treatment has undergone a transformation. The same HIV infection that took her to the brink of total despair is today a source of her blessing. How did it happen? She tells it all in this encounter.

Excerpts:

Living with HIV stigma

I’m a young person diagnosed HIV positive at 12. I was in Primary six going to JSS1. I got infected through blood transfusion. The stigma was so much I couldn’t bear it. There were drugs at that time, but they were too expensive for my parents to afford. Each time my father raised the money to pay for my drugs, my mother would challenge him. Why are you giving her the money? she would ask. We know that she would soon die. Why is she taking the drugs? Why are we wasting money? My mother went to the Church and told the Reverend who announced my status to the community.

He advised I should be taken to one of the General Hospitals and abandoned there to die. But my father refused to heed such advice. Rather, he challenged the Reverend to take one of his four children to the hospital and abandon her there to die first, only then would he obey the instruction. The pressure became too much.

My mother separated me from the rest of the family. She demarcated my own part of the house separate from the others. The stigma became too much.

Escape from home

One day I could not bear it again. The pressure was too much for me to bear. I had to break the window and jumped out to escape from home at the age of 12. I escaped to an unknown village called Oki. I went to Jabi Park in Abuja, I had only N800. I didn’t know where to go, but just wanted to leave and even die.

Death wish

I wanted to die. I was in the bush; I had stopped using my drugs which at that time cost N15, 000 per month. Test for CD4 count was N6, 000, viral load N12, 000. Where was I going to get that kind of money? I wasn’t working, I just told God to let me die.

Before then, I went to NTA and shared my story. I told them I was HIV positive; I wanted to declare my status to the world. They said I should cover my face, but I said no. I wanted the world to know my story so that if I die, everyone would know what killed me. Breaking the stigma is an individual thing. If you want to come out to testify, nobody can take that away from you

Saved

Then I met Dr. Anthony Agu, a lecturer at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. When he asked about my parents, I burst into tears. He took me to the University and I told him my story. He took me to his house, gave me a room to stay. But he told me not to disclose my status to his family. He enabled me continue my education and in 1996, I finished my school.

Back to treatment

Dr. Agu then told me that he heard that the drugs were now free that I should go and try. So I went back to Gwagwalada General Hospital where I met Dr. Ajayi. When he asked if I had been taken my drugs, I said yes. I lied to him because I was afraid that if I told him I had not been on drugs, he would send me away.

But he placed me on the drugs. That night I went back to Nsukka, but never went back home. Dr. Ajayi got all my details and related to Dr. Pat Matemilola and Professor Babatunde Oshotimehin who were all looking for me. Eventually, it was Godwin Odemije of Radio Nigeria that came to look for me, and brought me back home. In 2006, I developed typhoid and ovarian cyst. Doctors said I would be operated upon because I stopped using my drugs for a number of years. To the glory of God, I’m still on firstline drugs.

HIV infection as blessing

God first, but the treatment has kept me alive till today. If there were no free drugs, by now, I would have been a forgotten issue. People would have forgotten me, my name would not be written anywhere. HIV has become a blessing to me. I am sitting with important people. If not for HIV, I would not meet Ministers, and Ambassadors and so many important people. If not for HIV, I would not have ever fly in an aircraft. I’m proud to be HIV positive. Today, I’m a testimony in my family, there is no meeting at which they do not seek my opinion. I’m proud that I’m HIV positive.

Make treatment available

I’m still pleading to the Ambassadors and everyone in the country to make these drugs accessible especially the youths and women. We are the most vulnerable and do not have anywhere to go. We are tomorrow’s leaders. We may be driven out when we are diagnosed with HIV because the general belief is that HIV is contracted through promiscuity. But HIV can be contracted through many ways.

The three zeros

If the drugs are made to be more available, only then can we truly have the three zeros, that is, zero related deaths, zero new infection and zero stigma. As a young person I cannot come out but keep quiet and spread it, but if we provide access to treatment, give free education, employment and there is no stigma, I bet you, these three zeros will be achieved.

Ambition

I’m dreaming to become a medical doctor. I want to achieve this. HIV has nothing to do with my future. I would match it and overcome it. I need you to help me achieve my dream and also to find a cure to HIV. I want my name to be great, so that it will be said that Gloria Asuquo found a cure to HIV. I want a scholarship so that I can achieve my goal.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/hiv-infection-is-a-blessing-to-me-says-gloria-asuquo-24-diagnosed-hiv-positive-at-12/#sthash.SaW2e60A.dpuf

http://frabidel..com/2013/07/hiv-infection-is-blessing-to-me-gloria.html?spref=tw

18 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 17, 2013
chai!!! men of god are criminals in robe, i tell you! how can a so call man of god ask a father to abandon his child at the hospital?! as for the mother, may she get what she deserve, in due time!

12 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Caracta(f): 6:06pm On Jul 17, 2013
*wipes tears*

This is an inspiring story. That's a good spirit. Thumbs up Gloria. Smh @ people that commit suicide daily over trivial issues like breakups and low CGPA. There is always a reason to live!

I'm proud to be HIV negative grin

25 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by jaytime(m): 6:26pm On Jul 17, 2013
What a touching story. I hereby move a motion that this post be sent to the homepage. Any seconder?

10 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by ManTiger(m): 8:30pm On Jul 17, 2013
Olorun koni je'ki ri ogun ti ma fi ma dupe tipa tipa.

9 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by njuwo(m): 8:30pm On Jul 17, 2013
Na wa......dis one hiv is becomin a blessing to a person......maybe rape will soon become a joy to pple o....#God forbid.

1 Like

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by mactoni91(m): 8:32pm On Jul 17, 2013
i hate maths like hell...

22 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by ibedun: 8:33pm On Jul 17, 2013
You are alive because of this medication and the people who have supported you.

Sorry to say but forget that inexistent and not-so-useful God.

Best of luck

8 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by laivwire(m): 8:33pm On Jul 17, 2013
Chai, This modem done don fall my hand finish, sent me from FTC to number........ anyways, back to the matter, its a really touching story of a brave lady, More grease to your elbow as you march against the deadly virus.
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Sanboy25: 8:33pm On Jul 17, 2013
Sad story.. cry
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Decapo: 8:34pm On Jul 17, 2013
Speechless
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 17, 2013
@ op ur mother is woski!!!
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Inik(m): 8:35pm On Jul 17, 2013
Oh Lord prolong her life and let her dream of becoming a medical doctor become a reality.

12 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by zibe(m): 8:36pm On Jul 17, 2013
I find it disheartening that even the mother wanted to abandon her. Ignorance is really bad.

1 Like

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 17, 2013
What a strong girl.

1 Like

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Ruthy81(f): 8:36pm On Jul 17, 2013
Eyah! May ur dream come to pass IJN!!!

2 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Danhumprey: 8:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
So touching! This shows that where there is a will to live,with determination and courage,there would always be a way! Don't give up too easily,no matter what!

1 Like

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
And some people, till today, still dont believe there is HIV.

I remember when people - educated for that matter - used to say HIV is just an imaginary blabla by the West to deceive Africans.
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by TRILLIONIAR: 8:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
God dont let me praise you with force

1 Like

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by njuwo(m): 8:38pm On Jul 17, 2013
jaytime: What a touching story. I hereby move a motion that this post be sent to the homepage. Any seconder?
yea what an inspiring story.... God continue to bless u Gloria...... Ur days on earth r goin to b longer dan u will ever imagine in IJN amen.

1 Like

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Phcboy(m): 8:40pm On Jul 17, 2013
Yes I hereby Second the motion.
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by 1bunne4lif(m): 8:42pm On Jul 17, 2013
Ok
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Chimerase(m): 8:43pm On Jul 17, 2013
embarassed embarassed
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by devigblegble: 8:53pm On Jul 17, 2013
Omo see the face of the boy solving the maths question, u go fear fear haha

3 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Ichel: 8:53pm On Jul 17, 2013
Who is Moding this section, why do you hide my fucking post?.
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by uniquelyspecial(m): 8:54pm On Jul 17, 2013
ibedun: You are alive because of this medication and the people who have supported you.

Sorry to say but forget that inexistent and not-so-useful God.

Best of luck
its obvious u r not OK

17 Likes

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 17, 2013
So sad. She is a great lady

1 Like

Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 17, 2013
Reverend no even pray for the girl to recover
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by ACM10: 8:58pm On Jul 17, 2013
Can someone tell me who is Dr. Anthony Agu? I know of Dr. Ken Agu. Can anyone from UNTH help?
Re: Gloria Asuquo - HIV Infection Is A Blessing To Me by RedCard1(m): 8:58pm On Jul 17, 2013
Touching story. At first I was shocked over HIV now being a blessing. If I were u, reconciling with my mother would have been the last thing on my mind. I wish u goodluck on your dream of finding the cure to HIV. Even if you don't find the cure, am sure your name will still be on the guiness world record either as "'an open HIV patient" or "one of the oldest virgins currently living". Lest I forget, pls keep God off your mind. Hoping on him will be a waste of time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists / Coronavirus: Three Patients In Kano Flee After Testing Positive — Official / "I Am Having Stomach Ulcer, How Can I Manage It?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.