Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,734 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? (16243 Views)

Is Speaking In Tongue Learnt Or Received? / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 7:04pm On Jul 22, 2013
hisblud:
forget the video, what have we been showing each other, was it not scriptures.................

start afresh man... you seem to be clinging on the word unknown tongue...

me and you know very well that you speak only english... then you receive the gift and start speaking chinese and that is an unknown tongue to me... wont i say you are drunk or mad and you are talking rubbish?

but thanks to technology today... all tongues are know even if we cant speak in french we know when someone speaks in french. if you care you can start again and i will show you that Speaking in tongues how you see it today is rubbish... Jesus would be the good example of speaking in tongue when praying but not record of that. instead speaking in tongues is always based on preaching to others... in the church or market.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 22, 2013
benalvino:

start afresh man... you seem to be clinging on the word unknown tongue...

me and you know very well that you speak only english... then you receive the gift and start speaking chinese and that is an unknown tongue to me... wont i say you are drunk or mad and you are talking rubbish?

but thanks to technology today... all tongues are know even if we cant speak in french we know when someone speaks in french. if you care you can start again and i will show you that Speaking in tongues how you see it today is rubbish... Jesus would be the good example of speaking in tongue when praying but not record of that. instead speaking in tongues is always based on preaching to others... in the church or market.

lets start from here, can you understand angel tongues?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 8:08pm On Jul 22, 2013
hisblud:

use verses man... i dont see how you can be speaking language that even you dont understand and cant interpret... how do you know what you are saying?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by FearGodAndLive: 2:17am On Jul 23, 2013
hisblud:

Ae there any instacnes in the Bible where angels spoke and men could not understand?
I'm sorry to say this, but I strongly think you're misguided. If the Bible does not support your stance, you better drop whatever doctrine it may be and move on in Christ.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:06am On Jul 23, 2013
benalvino:

use verses man... i dont see how you can be speaking language that even you dont understand and cant interpret... how do you know what you are saying?
very very possible to speak in the spirit what YOU OR ANOTHER can not understand. you deliberately ignored what i posted earlier, here it is again
Hmm that is interesting lol, read this verse and tell me if what you wrote up there tallies

1 Cor 14:2

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

KJV

The word no man is ‎oudeis (oo-dice') not even one (man, woman or thing), i.e. none, nobody, nothing Strong Concordance:

Thus implying NOT EVEN ONE man/woman/thing and not that includes you, my friend, can understand what such a person is speaking, but God who knows and goes beyond our limited faculty thus how can you say that paul knew different languages, yet he says here that its possible to speak a language men cannot understand and I believe tongues been spoken here qualifies as one. Now there are tongues that are gifts of tongue to which it must have interpretation but there is another tongues that cannot have interpretation which is what paul was emphasizing in that context.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:45am On Jul 23, 2013
FearGodAndLive:
Ae there any instacnes in the Bible where angels spoke and men could not understand?
I'm sorry to say this, but I strongly think you're misguided. If the Bible does not support your stance, you better drop whatever doctrine it may be and move on in Christ.
when angels spoke to men, they use words of men. Do you think words of men is spoken among angels? sorry i cant leave what was started on the day of pentecost by Christ, as a prelude to greater things in Him, just becos you are not able to comprehend wit your understanding. Do you know why paul made this statement of prayer?
"Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers; That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:" (Ephesians 1:16-17). "The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power," (Ephesians 1:18-19). "Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:" (Ephesians 1:20-21).
lets not becos of our inability to comprehend mysteries, throw it away, rather pray that let the Spirit of Truth guide us.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by FearGodAndLive: 5:46am On Jul 23, 2013
hisblud: when angels spoke to men, they use words of men. Do you think words of men is spoken among angels? sorry i cant leave what was started on the day of pentecost by Christ, as a prelude to greater things in Him, just becos you are not able to comprehend wit your understanding. Do you know why paul made this statement of prayer? lets not becos of our inability to comprehend mysteries, throw it away, rather pray that let the Spirit of Truth guide us.

I noticed that you didn't answer my question, maybe I should make it more direct. Since you claim that speaking in tongues is a mystery that cannot be understood, how would Christians be able to spot when it's being abused?

There are mysteries we would never understand: the virgin Birth, the trinity; but our Father is not one to cause confusion. He wouldn't give us gifts that would only serve to befuddle and confuse us; that's the work of the devil.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 7:20am On Jul 23, 2013
FearGodAndLive:

I noticed that you didn't answer my question, maybe I should make it more direct. Since you claim that speaking in tongues is a mystery that cannot be understood, how would Christians be able to spot when it's being abused?

There are mysteries we would never understand: the virgin Birth, the trinity; but our Father is not one to cause confusion. He wouldn't give us gifts that would only serve to befuddle and confuse us; that's the work of the devil.

ask him why Jesus never use the tongue as they say to pray to the father?
how can you be praying and you have no clue to what you are saying and you still maintain that you have prayed?
if i ask them to say what did they tell God would they be able to tell me?
if you say the holy spirit controls what comes out of their mouth like the girl in the video can we conclude that God is possessing them to pray to him self... and they are not praying to God but he is praying to him self because he controls what comes out of their mouth?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 7:41am On Jul 23, 2013
hisblud: very very possible to speak in the spirit what YOU OR ANOTHER can not understand. you deliberately ignored what i posted earlier, here it is again

verse 3-5
“But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.”V.4 “He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.” V.5b “for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

that is the key to your problem... learn how to read in context...
now speaking in tongues here Paul is not talking about praying but he is talking about preaching to people communicating to people... giving speech to people...

you people use speaking in tongues not to preach to people or speak to the church but use it to pray... its 2 different thing... paul is not talking about praying here...

continued

I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would [b]rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues,[c] unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

again for speaking in tongues to be useful he says one should translate the language... again this is not talking about praying but communicating with people
notice how he says the speaking in tongues is inferior to prophesies unless someone translate it... now this someone translate shows that someone must be there to translate for them to edified... again he is not praying but addressing people.
why he speaks only to GOD? because God reads our mind... he understands anything we do or say. when you speak at anytime God listen... so if he is speaking Japanese only God is understanding it.

[size=18pt]the most important thing to note is the verses are not talking about praying but communicating with people in the church or in the market place[/size]
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 23, 2013
FearGodAndLive:

am glad to know that on this mystery of the virgin birth and the concept of the trinity, we are on the same page.
how would Christians be able to spot when it's being abused?
well this is what paul was emphasising in 1 cor 14
"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue." (1 Corinthians 14:18-19).
you would notice paul was admonishing the church that tho he could speak in tongues more than all of them put together, yet in church, he would encourage 5 words of human understanding be spoken in the church than 10000 words in tongues. This is the abuse by the corinthians. Thus i rather speak thousand of words in tongue in my privacy and out of the spiritual buildup, been sensitive to the Spirit, i outer few words to the blessing of the hearers in church.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 7:59am On Jul 23, 2013
hisblud: am glad to know that on this mystery of the virgin birth and the concept of the trinity, we are on the same page. well this is what paul was emphasising in 1 cor 14 you would notice paul was admonishing the church that tho he could speak in tongues more than all of them put together, yet in church, he would encourage 5 words of human understanding be spoken in the church than 10000 words in tongues. This is the abuse by the corinthians. Thus i rather speak thousand of words in tongue in my privacy and out of the spiritual buildup, been sensitive to the spirit, i outer few words to the blessing of the hearers in church.

"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: Yet i[b]n the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue." (1 Corinthians 14:18-19).[/b]

again Paul is telling you that the gift of the tongue is not useful when people dont understand the language...
now why would he rather speak 5 words than the gift of the tongue? ask your self that question...
is paul saying the Gift of the tongue is useless? Yes if you speak language people dont understand... again this is not talking about prayers... it is talking about ministering to people...
paul speaks many languages

notice in the church that i bold the people in the church Corinthians understand the language paul speaks which is greek... why would he use french to talk to them? that is all this verse is talking about.

in verse 20
Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature. 21 In the Law it is written, “By men of strange tongues and by the lips of strangers I will speak to this people, and even so they will not listen to Me,” says the Lord.

now the men of strange tongue is not angels but people of other nations... with different language who wrote their laws in strange language to the Greek language...
paul went to many nations as Jesus commanded them and speak in strange tongues... which is the tongue of the people that occupy that nation but strange to him because he is not from that nation...

[size=18pt]all the time tongue is mentioned its for communication with men and not prayers to god like you see in the church.
[/size]
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 23, 2013
Hi how do you view YOURSELF?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 23, 2013
^^^ Hi how do you view YOURSELF?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 8:15am On Jul 23, 2013
hisblud: ^^^ Hi how do you view YOURSELF?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 9:23am On Jul 23, 2013
benalvino:
yes notice the capitalized and bolded. [quote]^^^ Hi how do you view YOURSELF ?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 9:36am On Jul 23, 2013
hisblud: yes notice the capitalized and bolded.

what does it have to do with anything... am a christian
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 23, 2013
benalvino:

what does it have to do with anything... am a christian
thanks now do agree you are a new creature, a regenerated spirit after accepting the death, burial and ressurection, that dwells in the body and can control the mind by your own choice unlike the common unregenerated man that is carnally oriented?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 11:17am On Jul 23, 2013
hisblud: thanks now do agree you are a new creature, a regenerated spirit after accepting the death, burial and ressurection, that dwells in the body and can control the mind by your own choice unlike the common unregenerated man that is carnally oriented?

this doesnt add to the discussion at hand...
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by FearGodAndLive: 12:35pm On Jul 23, 2013
hisblud:
am glad to know that on this mystery of the virgin birth and the concept of the trinity, we are on the same page.
Same here Bro. If we could know everything, of what use would be faith?

hisblud:
well this is what paul was emphasising in 1 cor 14 you would notice paul was admonishing the church that tho he could speak in tongues more than all of them put together, yet in church, he would encourage 5 words of human understanding be spoken in the church than 10000 words in tongues.
I concur. As I noted earlier, our God is not a God of confusion.

hisblud:
This is the abuse by the corinthians. Thus i rather speak thousand of words in tongue in my privacy and out of the spiritual buildup, been sensitive to the Spirit, i outer few words to the blessing of the hearers in church.
Well, may God continue to guide us. God deals with us in His own way and what might be useful to one may not be to the other.

BUT as to the topic of SALVATION, speaking in tongues is not necessary for salvation, neither does it mark one as a true Christian. If you have any verses to the contrary, feel free to publish them. God bless you, Brother. May he continue to humble us that we may be willing to learn at his feet.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 23, 2013
benalvino:

this doesnt add to the discussion at hand...
do you agree or not?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 3:18pm On Jul 23, 2013
hisblud: do you agree or not?
ok
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 23, 2013
FearGodAndLive:

I concur. As I noted earlier, our God is not a God of confusion.

Well, may God continue to guide us. God deals with us in His own way and what might be useful to one may not be to the other.

BUT as to the topic of SALVATION, speaking in tongues is not necessary for salvation, neither does it mark one as a true Christian. If you have any verses to the contrary, feel free to publish them. God bless you, Brother. May he continue to humble us that we may be willing to learn at his feet.

I never said that tongues is requirement for salvation, rather for one to be saved He/She must believe in the death, burial and ressurrection of Christ. Tongues are necessary after salvation to edify and enhance one's prayer accurately to the Father.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 23, 2013
benalvino:
ok

If you are a regenerated spirit, what did paul mean by this with respect to the regenerated spirit
1 Cor 14:14-16

14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
KJV
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Zatwo: 5:10pm On Jul 23, 2013
Ok, its ok, u pple can scatter sum1's head, thanks
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by FearGodAndLive: 7:01am On Jul 24, 2013
Good morning everyone,

My brother, hisblud, I mean no disrespect but I think you may have taken a hasty and superficial reading of 1 Corinthians 14. Here's the chapter in full and please take note of the verses in bold.

1. Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.
2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.
3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort.
4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church.
5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.
6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?
7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes?
8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?
9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.
10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning.
11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me.
12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.
13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say.
14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.
16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer, say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying?
17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.
18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.
19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 24, 2013
@fearGOD
Ok. so we shouldnt speak in tongues, is this what you are trying to imply by the bolded?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 8:36am On Jul 24, 2013
hisblud: @fearGOD
Ok. so we shouldnt speak in tongues, is this what you are trying to imply by the bolded?

dude understand the bible... how can paul be comparing Gift God gave him...
all the verse i showed you... speaking in tongues is use to address people and never a time it is said to be in prayers to God...

you take verse out of context... how can paul say speaking in tongues is useless unless person translate it for the people... isnt speaking in tongues suppose to be for you and God alone? think man...

unknown tongue is unknown language of earth not heaven...

Moses, Abraham etc... did they speak in tongues when they talk to God directly or did they speak Hebrew?
was Adam an eve speaking in tongues?
did Jesus speak in tongues with praying to the father or he speak Greek?

same thing i interpret for you fearGod is seeing it... speaking in tongues is a myth... you cant be praying to God when you dont know what you are saying to him. that is a clear fact.

if you know french you are speaking in an unknown tongue to me... cause i dont know french... but in other words i know the tongue but i dont understand it...

speak in tongues as you like... any language you know... but the speaking it tongue like gabagibanaka gbahagbhakikikikik its rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 8:38am On Jul 24, 2013
FearGodAndLive: Good morning everyone,

My brother, hisblud, I mean no disrespect but I think you may have taken a hasty and superficial reading of 1 Corinthians 14. Here's the chapter in full and please take note of the verses in bold.

1. Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.
2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.
3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort.
4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church.
5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.
6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?
7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes?
8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?
9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.
10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning.
11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me.
12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.
13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say.
15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.
16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer, say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying?
19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

i have said this to him severally and he refused... he just cling only to the phrase "unknown tongue"
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 24, 2013
benalvino:

dude understand the bible... how can paul be comparing Gift God gave him...
all the verse i showed you... speaking in tongues is use to address people and never a time it is said to be in prayers to God...

you take verse out of context... how can paul say speaking in tongues is useless unless person translate it for the people... isnt speaking in tongues suppose to be for you and God alone? think man...

unknown tongue is unknown language of earth not heaven...

Moses, Abraham etc... did they speak in tongues when they talk to God directly or did they speak Hebrew?
was Adam an eve speaking in tongues?
did Jesus speak in tongues with praying to the father or he speak Greek?

same thing i interpret for you fearGod is seeing it... speaking in tongues is a myth... you cant be praying to God when you dont know what you are saying to him. that is a clear fact.

if you know french you are speaking in an unknown tongue to me... cause i dont know french... but in other words i know the tongue but i dont understand it...

speak in tongues as you like... any language you know... but the speaking it tongue like gabagibanaka gbahagbhakikikikik its rubbish.

no need to get worked up... ok lets take the verses of 1 cor 14 and see what it says from beginning to end and lets see what it says. will you then....i would like to use NKJV and strong concordance, is it okay by you?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 24, 2013
FearGodAndLive: Good morning everyone,

I would like to also invite you to discuss 1 cor 14, would you oblige?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by kimco(m): 2:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
FearGodAndLive:
What in God's name.....so it is required by ''faith'' to ''blindly'' follow? Really? Explain further please, i'm intrigued
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 24, 2013
Speaking in tongues stimulates faith and helps us learn how to trust God more fully.
For example, faith must be exercised
to speak with tongues because the Holy Spirit supernaturally directs the words we speak. You see, we don’t know what the next word will be—we have to trust God for that. And trusting God in one area helps us learn to trust Him in another area.

And No, I don't believe it is compulsory. I believe it is a gift that some people may have and others not.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"I Tolerated Abuse For Long" - Anita Oyakhilome Breaks silence on divorce / Six Reasons You Should Accept Jesus As Lord And Saviour / Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.