Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,364 members, 7,819,312 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! (22308 Views)

Wunmi Obe Reacts To Stella Damasus's New Marriage / I dont Care What You People Write - Stella Damasus / Omotola Jolade vs Stella Damasus-Aboderin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by gbishman: 1:38pm On Jul 23, 2013
NIgeria na wa o, whats the difference between gay marriage and marrying underaged children. Stella damascus u got my vote anytime u are a human being and we are all proud of u. God bless u abundantly
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 23, 2013
rockbase360: I wonder how many nairalander's are proud to be a nigerian after reading about our dear senate. Don't you just love "your" country.

If you spent one hour learning how the political system/process works, you wouldn't end up sounding so...thick.
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by DaLover(m): 9:39pm On Jul 23, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

[size=18pt]
Why are PEJ and GEJ silent on this issue?

OBJ would never have allowed such disgusting nonsense.

How many senator do we have in this country? How can 35 senators determine this issue?
[/size]
Is it the obj dat said nothing when sharia was introduced in the north or another one
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by biolabee(m): 9:50pm On Jul 23, 2013
Ol boy this girl burst..
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by 1forall: 11:22pm On Jul 23, 2013
Nigeria's cup is gradually filling up..
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by charity12: 3:56am On Jul 24, 2013
Stella I support U n also luv Ur gut, continue being a voice n a star.... Bravo.
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by lagbaja(m): 3:59am On Jul 24, 2013
It is not to be contested that under age marriage should be abolished in our constitution, the fact that 60 senators out of 93 voted to remove the contensious clause from the constitution is commendable. The entire senate can therefore not be held responsible for their inability to expunge the 18 year clause from the constitution. My worry is that Stella has helped to confuse many Nigerians and had driven them away from the core issues.

What are the bigger implication of this inability to remove the clause.

1. Women of any age ( whether 6 or younger) will be eligible to vote on the claim that they are married and by implication have become an adult. This will be to the advantage of the northerners where underage marriages are prevalent. This is a disaster on the horizon and another hidden agenda at achieving bloated election figures in the north.

2. Furtherance to this, the maturity or "full age" claim can be extended to the husband of the deemed "full aged" underage married woman. Northern men are known to marry at very young ages. It therefore bodices that if the wife is deemed to be of full age, same can be said of the husband.

The law in question did not prescribe a marriageable age. What we should be asking for is the enforcement of the law that prescribes marriageable age in a Nigeria at 18 without parental consent and set a limit of marriageable age that requires parental consent as done in other climes e.g US.

Also voting rights should be restricted to actual age and not the "full age" inference

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by olanyte: 6:10am On Jul 24, 2013
I support early marriage for girls, "AS SOON
AS
SHE ATTAINS ADULTHOOD".
It is strange how Nigerian youths waste their
time and 'intellect' on social networks,
displaying high level of ignorance
sometimes.
The new issue in town now is; "SAY NO TO
EARLY MARRIAGE".
For goodness sake, what is the problem if a
man marries out his daughter(with her
consent) soon as she is matured for that?
Nobody is forcing anyone to allow his/her
daughter to marry early, but those who want
to, should not be prevented from doing that.
Anyone can choose to keep his/her daughter
till 35years, who cares! Today ASUU is on
strike, you won't find them broadcasting it.
ASUP just called off months old strike, no
tongue sang about that, during the period.
They are not flooding the social networks
with the high level of looting and vast
corruption in our country.
Rather, the song they prefer to sing is 'give
her education not ejaculation', 'pen not
penis', 'school fees not bride price' etc.
Now let us face it, how many of the girls in
junior secondary schools can boast of being
virgins, these are girls between the ages of
11 and 13 years. Worse off, is the case of
their senior counterparts, in senior
secondary
schools, in facts it is very terrible at this
stage,
a livin proof is dat of a principal dat did
virginity test for girls in her school. Then
extremely worst for girls in higher
institutions, in fact these ones are classical
prostitutes.
Yet these so called "human right activists"
who lack the moral right to talk in public, are
blind to all these societal menace. Who says
a
girl that marries early can't return to school
after marriage? Why do Nigerians like to be
gullible and follow laid down standards by
some people(The west)?
Standards that have failed over and over
again in their countries.
Why can't we just be ourselves, and set
standards that will prevent immoralities
rather than promote them?
As a positively minded youth, I will never
allow myself to be brainwashed or bullied
into silence by anybody or group. I'm calling
on all well meaning youths of this country to
say: NO TO BAD GOVERNANCE, NO TO
RECYCLED
LEADERSHIP, NO TO FUEL HIKE, NO TO
ASUU/
ASUP STRIKES, NO TO BOKO HARAM, NO TO
CHILD AND MARTERNAL MORTALITY......
.......and
several other reasonable NOs.
Let us not be deceived by these so called
hypocrites(" human right activists"wink who
support fornication at young age in lieu of
early marriage. Let's be wise!!!
How many of us readin dis post are virgin?
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by ideylaff: 7:33am On Jul 24, 2013
Siga: ...Nna mehn.... na the woman beauty I just dey see... I cant even concentrate on wat she dey say.... Naija na wa... Stella u do well.... love wat u just did... to hell with those Senators...

Beauty is different from bleached skin ooooo..yes its the right message. Kudos to her....
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by Savlavy: 9:53am On Jul 24, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

I think it was the thick Ibotic accent that threw him off. Not as thick as the politicians, but it's still there.

Is she ibo? U too. Na waooh
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 24, 2013
Fadelex: whenever an issue is mis-interpreted everybody wil be spilling what they dont know, the bill does not even legalize under-age marriage, the section amended was 29 sub-section 4b which
states "any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of
full age" in reference to section 29 sub-section 1 which states
that "any Nigerian of full age and wishes to renounce his/her
citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner
for d renunciation".. meaning if a 13year old girl that is
married wishes to renounce her citizenship, she's free to do
that...the reason been that 18 is the age believed to be of full
age in Nigeria. the problem with most of our people is that
they only do copy and paste without having full knowledge of
d situation... I'm not a lawyer but I'm literate enough to
understand d constitution and being an immigration
personnel I did a lot of work on citizenship

But if u are literate enough, or rather, sensible enough, you should be able to note the salient point of contention in that clause.
What is the hurry in teenagers giving up their citizenship? Teenagers who are supposedly married to who? Nigerian men!
So u need a brainwash, my man.
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by Miraclebaby1109: 1:32pm On Jul 24, 2013
Nice one stella
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by Fadelex(m): 1:37pm On Jul 24, 2013
jcgodfrey:

But if u are literate enough, or rather, sensible enough, you should be able to note the salient point of contention in that clause.
What is the hurry in teenagers giving up their citizenship? Teenagers who are supposedly married to who? Nigerian men!
So u need a brainwash, my man.
reason being that if your father is being hunted and he has renounce his own citizenship, the daughter is not of full age and her life is at risk, she may be given out in marriage to enable her renounce Nigeria citizenship as a pre-requisite to apply for asylum in some countries
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by lumeviewscom: 2:14pm On Jul 24, 2013
Pedophilia is permitted in the Qur’an, was practiced by Prophet Muhammad and his companions, and some Muslims today continue to commit the crime, following their prophet’s example. The Nigerian lawmakers have decided to follow suit by making us virtually an islamic nation with this despicable bill they just passed.

The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) defines pedophilia as a “disorder of adult personality and behaviour” in which there is a sexual preference for children of prepubertal or early pubertal age. According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), it is a paraphilia in which adults or adolescents 16 years of age or older have intense and recurrent sexual urges towards and fantasies about prepubescent children that they have either acted on or which cause them distress or interpersonal difficulty.

READ MORE: PEDOPHILIA’S HISTORY IN ISLAM AND THE NIGERIAN SENATE!
Re: Stella Damasus On 'Child Marriage' Bill! by Nansee(f): 5:43pm On Jul 26, 2013
Rossikk:

Do you think all these people are illiterates like you and 'Stella'?

What ''barbaric law'' are you talking about?

No law has been passed. And the First Lady has no business commenting on, or pre-empting decisions on matters up for debate in the Senate/House of Reps.

If you had a modicum of sense in your head I shouldn't have to tell you this. Then again, when your heroes are school dropout 'celebrities' like Stella Damasus, isn't it a case of the blind leading the blind?

I can see that your stupidity and your idiotic manners won't let u address an issue without raining abuses.well,its allowed.if u were literate,you'll approach a matter intelligently.the law was passed irrespective of a child's rights.You are as inhuman as your god-father Yerima.you have been brain washed and that is why you have refused vehemently to have a conscience.FYI,the university gives u a paper 2 certify ur literacy but they don't give u good manners and worthy traits.Those are given to urself by urself.my advice to you is 'Get a life'when you do,come back 2 NL and talk.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crystabel Goddy Insures Her Legs For Undisclosed Amount / Bukky Wright Involved In Car Crash At Epe / Rita Dominic Stuns At AFRIFF 2015 Closing Party - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.