Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill (25411 Views)

PDP Chieftain Stripped Unclad For Supporting APC Candidate In Benue State / GUARDIAN Newspaper Apologises For Publishing False Pics Of Buhari's Interview / Oshiomhole Apologises For His Heartless Comments To A Widow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by tpia5: 10:46pm On Jul 22, 2013
this section of the bill has been in the nigerian constitution long before now.

some senators voted to remove it [did they just see it there?], while others voted to leave it as is.

the question remains, who first suggested it be removed and what was his reason.

lets get to the root of this.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by tpia5: 10:48pm On Jul 22, 2013
Past constitutions

Colonial era (1914–1960)

Nigeria's first constitutions were enacted by order in council during the colonial era, when the country was administered as a Crown Colony. The constitutions enacted during this period were those of 1913 (which came into effect on 1 January 1914), 1922, 1946, 1951 (the Macpherson constitution), and 1954 (the Lyttelton constitution).
Independence constitution (1960)

Nigeria's first constitution as a sovereign state was enacted by a British order in council so as to come into force immediately upon independence, on 1 October 1960. Under this constitution Nigeria retained Queen Elizabeth II as titular head of state.

1963 constitution (First Republic)

Independent Nigeria's second constitution established the country as a federal republic. It came into force on 1 October 1963 (Nigeria's third anniversary as an independent nation). The 1963 constitution, which was based on the Westminster system, continued in operation until a military coup in 1966 overthrew Nigeria's democratic institutions.
1979 constitution (Second Republic)

The 1979 constitution, which brought in the Second Republic, abandoned the Westminster system in favour of an American-style presidential system, with a directly-elected executive. To avoid the pitfalls of the First Republic, the constitution mandated that political parties and cabinet positions reflect the "federal character" of the nation: political parties were required to be registered in at least two-thirds of the states, and each state had to have at least one member of the cabinet from it.

1993 constitution (Third Republic)
The 1993 constitution was intended to see the return of democratic rule to Nigeria with the establishment of a Third Republic, but was never fully implemented, and the military resumed power until 1999.

1999 constitution (Fourth Republic)
The 1999 constitution restored democratic rule to Nigeria, and remains in force today.

In January 2011, two amendments of the 1999 constitution were signed by President Goodluck Jonathan, the first modifications since the document came into use in 1999.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by tonygee1(m): 10:52pm On Jul 22, 2013
Pls can I call dis man a foooo l just asking
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by tomhyson(m): 11:00pm On Jul 22, 2013
The word is at end.......hmmmmm
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by chessguru1(m): 11:06pm On Jul 22, 2013
andyanders:

Yerima paid him. Shame to him and his family to have sent such a useless man to represent them. How come an adult like this iddio-t could even have the audacity to say he voted in error. Shame to him and his children.
Cos you where there when yerima paid him shey?
Since you can call someones father an idio*t, I wouldn't be surprised if the word idio*t is the daily greeting you exchanged with your own father back at home.
Uncultured bunch of HYPOCRITICAL, vindictive children of anger.
I guess you have never made a mistake in your life abi?
He made an error, and he is man enough to admit it, so now for that you bring his family into this?
For your information, the akinyelure family are a very grounded and down to earth family.
(I'd know cos I grew up close to dem in maruwa gardens)
People should learn to address the issue and not descend to attacking the person or family.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by mrofficial(m): 11:14pm On Jul 22, 2013
Tafee: atleast this law is better than gay law

In your freaking mind.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by chessguru1(m): 11:17pm On Jul 22, 2013
tony gee: Pls can I call dis man a foooo l just asking
It depends. If you can call your father a fooool, then by all means proceed undecided
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by ot001(m): 11:41pm On Jul 22, 2013
Oluwalala: Idiot! Medicine after death, bloody hypocrites
Even a post mortem as its importance
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by wealth123: 11:56pm On Jul 22, 2013
Guys do you know this is the owner of ALL-OVER POLYTECHNIC in OTA? A chartered Accountant saying he voted in error.
HABA please confess honourably if u want forgiveness.If u collected Ghana must go, bring it out and let the masses see, then your restitution will be proper.Remember that very soon u are coming to face the same people for re-election.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Rhea(f): 12:02am On Jul 23, 2013
chimerase2: Ondo Senator Apologises For Voting In Support Of Child Marriage Bill

The Senator representing Ondo Central Senatorial District, Ayo Akinyelure has apologised for voting in support of the child marriage bill.

The Senator representing Ondo Central Senatorial District, Ayo Akinyelure
The people of Mr Akinyelure’s Senatorial District on Monday staged a peaceful protest in Akure, the State Capital against the voting of the lawmaker representing them in the Senate for supporting the child marriage bill.

Summoned by the constituents to a meeting held at the Cultural Centre Auditorium, Akure, which is also the Senatorial headquarters, Mr Akinyelure regretted the act and apologised to the people, explaining that he cast the vote in error.

He emphasised that as a true Yoruba man, he wouldn’t have intentionally voted in support of child marriage.

He said there is still hope in correcting the situation as the bill will still be passed at the House of Representatives and the States Houses of Assembly.

The Women Leaders of Labour Party in the six local government areas in the senatorial zone who spoke on behalf of the women condemned the support of the bill which she described barbaric.

Massive protests have greeted the Senate’s passage of a resolution to retain the provision of Section 29 (4) (b) of the 1999 Constitution. Under the section, a married underage girl is deemed to be an adult.

Prominent Nigerians and human right organisations took to the social media to protest what they described as legalisation of sexual abuse of underage girls.

The protests were held in parts of the country on Saturday such as Abuja and Lagos among others. Also, petitions were signed to protest the law.

The protesters might besiege all state Houses of Assembly and the National Assembly on Tuesday to call on the Senate to reverse itself.

Those who protested queried why underage Nigerians could not exercise their franchise at the poll but were being subjected to marriage at tender age.

Source : http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/07/22/ondo-senator-apologises-for-voting-in-support-of-child-marriage-bill/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
[size=18pt]
We don't need your apologies. Kindly tender your resignation. That is the first step to reclaiming your honour.[/size]
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by sparko1(m): 12:02am On Jul 23, 2013
AB$I:
Y was i born a yoruba boy sef?y not a chink instead. God help me,i need to accept my fate.but i've vowed not to DIE a Yoruba man but to DIE a CHRISTIAN
Man its not too late you can renounce your tribe as far as you are of age. Lol
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by charlaalah: 12:10am On Jul 23, 2013
Senator, u fall ur hand. Abi dem put u hand for nyash wen u dey sign ?.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Okeikpu(m): 1:05am On Jul 23, 2013
If na Awusa man said dis sh!t it for no pain me much sad i thank God he realized his mistakes... Wtf!!
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by filipin: 1:09am On Jul 23, 2013
AB$I:
Y was i born a yoruba boy sef?y not a chink instead. God help me,i need to accept my fate.but i've vowed not to DIE a Yoruba man but to DIE a CHRISTIAN
Bros, e neva late at all, just vex go claim chinko or masai. As 4 me & d rest na yoruba till d end. u no even see say him people protest dat na d yoruba spirit - very democratic people.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Nobody: 2:22am On Jul 23, 2013
atlwireles: This only shows how ill prepared most of the animals we call legislators are. You are taking a vote as important as amending the constitution, yet you never took time to read the content of the amendments. Most people that voted for or against are really not better than this man. They never read one line of the amendments as proposed by Yerima
Get ur fact right,there was no ammendment.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by tpia5: 2:23am On Jul 23, 2013
Rhea:
[size=18pt]
We don't need your apologies. Kindly tender your resignation. That is the first step to reclaiming your honour.[/size]

if he goes, they all go.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by tpia5: 2:25am On Jul 23, 2013
the only question i have for him is, why is his polytechnic situated in sango otta and not ondo state?

are there any branches or satellite campuses in ondo state?
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by topazjosh(m): 2:30am On Jul 23, 2013
lastpage:
I think Dayo is right there.
If it is not that his party supports his position on such an important issue, then the party has the right and duty to recall him.
The people that voted-in that party have "expectations" from such party, .. as per their campaign manifesto.
If that expectation is not being met (as in this case of "selective amnesia by that Sin-a-tor", then its either the party recalls him ..or the voters "teach the party a lesson" in the next election, by voting them out.

I read that a similar thing happened in Ireland recently, when a Vote was being taken on the Abortion Bill.
Some party members voted against the "position of their party" ... and the party immediately EXPELLED THEM! (and the party nominated position they held were lost as well).

But in Nigeria, we are too constrained by primordial issues like "Tribal affiliations, language, Civil war experience, e.t.c" to properly articulate our desires and hold the elected officials to account.

Lastpage!

BTW: I hope he does not vote in favor of selling Nigeria to Cameroon, one day .... and come back to tell us he did not know what he was doing! shocked shocked shocked
Chei, l dont envy his children at all! Imagine your mates telling you: "your Daddy has lost his senses and does not know what he is doing"? grin grin
am so sure is part won't allow him to recontest in next election,him don spoil him political life,but the party shouldn't be nailed for his sin,we have other senators from that same party,na personality,is like nailing cpc or buhari for those senators evil deeds.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by topazjosh(m): 2:32am On Jul 23, 2013
austinsmat: But there are two senator from ondo state where is the other one
o boy na only one support o,u no read well.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by cyntiathis: 4:17am On Jul 23, 2013
This Man must think that we all are fools.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by francisbiz: 6:41am On Jul 23, 2013
In real democracy, when a senator or serving political office hole commits and accepts such blunder as VOTING OR DECIDING IN ERROR, it does not end in mere apology; IT BEGINS WITH RESIGNATION.
At this stage, making such a statement tantamounts to INSULTING THE SENSIBILITIES OF YOUR CONSTITUENCY; and their WRATH IS IMMINENT.

1 Like

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by fabregas04(m): 7:02am On Jul 23, 2013
confusion247:
Soon they will blame achebe for that vote.
u re a big fool, am not surprised though, ur name has it all.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by fabregas04(m): 7:07am On Jul 23, 2013
filipin:
Bros, e neva late at all, just vex go claim chinko or masai. As 4 me & d rest na yoruba till d end. u no even see say him people protest dat na d yoruba spirit - very democratic people.
thnk u my brother, we go remain yoruba till d very end.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by babsomotde(m): 7:23am On Jul 23, 2013
Maybe he has been bribed. Who knows? These northerners are just worsen the nation problem and crippling her growth. See, oga wey dey talk say, he cast vote in error. Oga, tell us, you really know what you are doing. Others didn't cast their in error as you did... Stop 'Politricking' us. Confess Now!!1
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by goshen26: 7:54am On Jul 23, 2013
Pls, is there a law in the senate that says 'you must vote, even if you don't understand the topic in question? Cos he should have sat on the fence during that vote
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by KYO1: 8:14am On Jul 23, 2013
The man is a fool and shame to Ondo indigence and Yoruba race,is he telling us he follows the multitude in taking hasty decisions whether positive or negative?imagine the people we kill ourselves voting for,they don't know the reason they are called representatives of the masses,its a pity.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by BeraBera(f): 8:53am On Jul 23, 2013
Akinyelure regretted the act and apologised to the people, explaining that he cast the vote in error.

Maybe he was sleeping throughout the session, and when it was time to say Aye or Nay, he suddenly woke up and shouted Aye as usual, without even knowing what he was saying Aye to.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by deor03(m): 9:12am On Jul 23, 2013
So, on top of the billions that this guy earns( is paid ), he can't correctly carry out a simple task of casting a vote
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by successking: 9:24am On Jul 23, 2013
His apology is not acceptable. He has just shown that he is representing himself and not his constituent.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by HirstMOG(m): 9:37am On Jul 23, 2013
Tolexander: why would you call a man, another person's father oloshi?
It is unfair now!
Had you called him oloriburuku, it would still have been better.

@topic!
It will be better if the bills passed and debates in the house can be made known to the public. Cos many of the legislative members like this man never knew there would be such reaction from the public.

is d senator truly alright? Is so clear dt he didn't kw wht he's doi,or d wht d interest of his ppl are.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by HirstMOG(m): 9:45am On Jul 23, 2013
ogugua88: It always amazes me how some of our grown politicians willingly announce how incompetent they are. How does one cast a vote in error? Is he an illiterate or was he confused and didn't seek explanation about the bill?

I'm sure he wouldn't have made such a comment if the public swallowed this bitter pill in silence... or if their names weren't published.

thank u my broda,is so clear dt they dnt kw wht they're doi, jst thr 4 d money. Wht pains me most is,dz are d same ppl hu're saying 9ja youths are unemployable. Cast vote by error in a broad day light.

1 Like

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by HirstMOG(m): 9:53am On Jul 23, 2013
D senator na red bororo? He no dey c day time abi? Broad day light like ds e dey bold tok say he cast vote in error.na laf i dey laf ds country sha, mak i sidon dey watch whr e go tak us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BREAKING: Buhari Declares Tenure Extension Of APC Nat. Chairman, Others As Illeg / Buhari Dey GO! Atiku Dey COME! - PDP Supporters Chanting In Ibadan(video) / Over 300,000 Nigerians Benefits From ₦10 Billion MSMEs Fund – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.