Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill (25412 Views)

PDP Chieftain Stripped Unclad For Supporting APC Candidate In Benue State / GUARDIAN Newspaper Apologises For Publishing False Pics Of Buhari's Interview / Oshiomhole Apologises For His Heartless Comments To A Widow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by chimerase2: 5:40pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ondo Senator Apologises For Voting In Support Of Child Marriage Bill

The Senator representing Ondo Central Senatorial District, Ayo Akinyelure has apologised for voting in support of the child marriage bill.

The Senator representing Ondo Central Senatorial District, Ayo Akinyelure
The people of Mr Akinyelure’s Senatorial District on Monday staged a peaceful protest in Akure, the State Capital against the voting of the lawmaker representing them in the Senate for supporting the child marriage bill.

Summoned by the constituents to a meeting held at the Cultural Centre Auditorium, Akure, which is also the Senatorial headquarters, Mr Akinyelure regretted the act and apologised to the people, explaining that he cast the vote in error.

He emphasised that as a true Yoruba man, he wouldn’t have intentionally voted in support of child marriage.

He said there is still hope in correcting the situation as the bill will still be passed at the House of Representatives and the States Houses of Assembly.

The Women Leaders of Labour Party in the six local government areas in the senatorial zone who spoke on behalf of the women condemned the support of the bill which she described barbaric.

Massive protests have greeted the Senate’s passage of a resolution to retain the provision of Section 29 (4) (b) of the 1999 Constitution. Under the section, a married underage girl is deemed to be an adult.

Prominent Nigerians and human right organisations took to the social media to protest what they described as legalisation of sexual abuse of underage girls.

The protests were held in parts of the country on Saturday such as Abuja and Lagos among others. Also, petitions were signed to protest the law.

The protesters might besiege all state Houses of Assembly and the National Assembly on Tuesday to call on the Senate to reverse itself.

Those who protested queried why underage Nigerians could not exercise their franchise at the poll but were being subjected to marriage at tender age.

Source : http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/07/22/ondo-senator-apologises-for-voting-in-support-of-child-marriage-bill/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

6 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by baby124: 5:44pm On Jul 22, 2013
He emphasised that as a true Yoruba man, he wouldn’t have intentionally voted in support of child marriage.

So why did he vote in support? Is he saying he was bribed to I dont understand that comment. The man is a pedophile, period. His urges and sick desires took over his common sense. At least they have all been exposed. I pity his children, people will be looking at them like kids of a pedophile. sad

12 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by oderemo(m): 5:47pm On Jul 22, 2013
baby_123:

So why did he vote in support? Is he saying he was bribed to I dont understand that comment. The man is a pedophile, period. His urges and sick desires took over his common sense. At least they have all been exposed. I pity his children, people will be looking at them like kids of a pedophile. sad
the man don take ghana must go now. oloshi.

13 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Tolexander: 6:02pm On Jul 22, 2013
ode remo:
the man don take ghana must go now. oloshi.
why would you call a man, another person's father oloshi?
It is unfair now!
Had you called him oloriburuku, it would still have been better.

@topic!
It will be better if the bills passed and debates in the house can be made known to the public. Cos many of the legislative members like this man never knew there would be such reaction from the public.

14 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by OAM4J: 6:06pm On Jul 22, 2013
Cast the vote in error?

Anyways start campaigning vigorously against child-marriage, maybe, just maybe then we will forgive you of the "error"

5 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by nairaman66(m): 6:16pm On Jul 22, 2013
Arrant Nonsense! Was he under some spell or something! I am sure you all will agree with me..

2 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 22, 2013
Their own na to dey chop guguru and epa for there and to dey look look like mumu when decisions are bn made.

Thank God he has apologised!

4 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Oluwalala(m): 6:17pm On Jul 22, 2013
Idiot! Medicine after death, bloody hypocrites

2 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Ajibel(m): 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2013
Its either voodoo was used on him or his palms were greased that made him "cast in error"

1 Like

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by ugotuf(m): 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2013
CAST THE VOTE IN ERROR? LET HIM GO TELL THAT TO THE BIRDS.MCHEW.THE PEOPLE SHOULD RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RACALL ANY ERRING REPRESENTATIVE,BULL DUNG!
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Siga: 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2013
....Ahhhhh... cast vote in error.... oloshi ni man yi sha.... u need go back drawing board look for better excuse... this one no be am at all....

1 Like

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2013
very diplomatic response from the ondo state senator.....oya go and undo your undoing,while we wait undecided

1 Like

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by AbuMikey(m): 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2013
I won't accept this gibberish as an apology,him don already fall he hand by himself.

Odion,over to you!angry

1 Like

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2013
Only 1 sentence=thunda faya you

9 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2013
It always amazes me how some of our grown politicians willingly announce how incompetent they are. How does one cast a vote in error? Is he an illiterate or was he confused and didn't seek explanation about the bill?

I'm sure he wouldn't have made such a comment if the public swallowed this bitter pill in silence... or if their names weren't published.

12 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2013
Bunch of mumuDEENs...!!!

1 Like

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Omexonomy: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2013
Tolexander: why would you call a man, another person's father oloshi?
It is unfair now!

@topic!
It will be better if the bills passed and debates in the house can be made known to the public. Cos many of the legislative members like this man never knew there would be such reaction from the public.
insulting people is their culture, tradition and stock in trade. Their is nothing you can do about it.

1 Like

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by jossy1luv(f): 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2013
Was his brain malfunctioning when he was casting his vote? Irrelevant excuse.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
Bastard
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Bobbo(m): 6:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
This man don enter one chance.. His eyes will clear when his senatorial spot is taking by another opportunist. He'll learn from this.. if he was my father, na to tell my best friend to come marry my 6yr old sis.. and if he says no.. na me go first call am bastard... yeye undecided

2 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by ABsI1: 6:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
Yorubas and their PROTEAN CHARACTER. CHAMELEONS

4 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by kemiola89(f): 6:22pm On Jul 22, 2013
Hmmm! So much for a leader not to have a decisive spirit! Next time think before you act.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by naptu2: 6:23pm On Jul 22, 2013
angry
He was trying to deceive the protesters by saying that it could still be amended at the House of Representatives and the state houses of assembly.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by naptu2: 6:24pm On Jul 22, 2013
naptu2: Since 1999 section 29 of the constitution has stated this (I've also included subsection 4)

29. (1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.

(a) "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;

(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.

The constitution is currently being amended and rights groups have called for the deletion of subsection 4b.

You need 2/3rds majority of votes in the senate, house of representatives and 2/3rds of all the state houses of assembly in order to amend the constitution.

2/3rds of the senators present at that time = 73 votes. The senate voted and more than 73 senators voted that 4b should be deleted. The senate moved on to other clauses.

A while later, Senator Yerima raised a point of order that subsection 4b cannot be deleted because deleting it is against islamic law. He stated that in islam, a woman is deemed to be of full age once she has gotten married. The Senate President, David Mark, reminded Yerima that the Senate has a tradition that it does not re-visit a clause once it has been voted on, but Senator Yerima continued to protest.

Eventually the Senate President agreed to hold a second vote. This time 60 senators voted that the subsection should be removed, while 35 voted that it should not be removed. They couldn't get 2/3rds majority.

Section 4b stands.

I wonder why Mark agreed to hold a second vote.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by bigv(m): 6:24pm On Jul 22, 2013
Tolexander: why would you call a man, another person's father oloshi?
It is unfair now!

@topic!
lmao!

1 Like

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by ABsI1: 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2013
Y was i born a yoruba boy sef?y not a chink instead. God help me,i need to accept my fate.but i've vowed not to DIE a Yoruba man but to DIE a CHRISTIAN

6 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Lovetinz(m): 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2013
Too Late!
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by slimfit1(m): 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2013
If they are old enough to have sex they are old enough to contest for president and senate seat simple.
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by atlwireles: 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2013
This only shows how ill prepared most of the animals we call legislators are. You are taking a vote as important as amending the constitution, yet you never took time to read the content of the amendments. Most people that voted for or against are really not better than this man. They never read one line of the amendments as proposed by Yerima

6 Likes

Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by dridowu: 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2013
Too late but accepted
Re: Ondo Senator Apologises For Supporting Child-Marriage Bill by Tafee(m): 6:30pm On Jul 22, 2013
atleast this law is better than gay law

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Choose Fani-kayode As Running Mate, Group Tells Atiku, PDP / Apostle Suleman Prays For Governor Okowa (Photos) / Over 300,000 Nigerians Benefits From ₦10 Billion MSMEs Fund – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.