Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage (21383 Views)

A Northerner's View About Buhari Handshake And Aisha's Under-age Marriage / Under Age Marriage In Nigeria / Gay Marriage Vs Under Age Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by dayokanu(m): 8:11pm On Jul 22, 2013
PRESS RELEASE BY SENATOR AYO AKINYELURE

DISTINGUISHED SENATOR Dr. AYO AKINYELURE,FCA representing Ondo Central at the upper Chamber of the National Assembly, hereby wish to make the following clarifications on the above subject- matter to correct the wrong
allegations of VOTING INFAVOUR OF 'UNDER AGE MARRIAGE' as widely reported in the PUNCH NEWSPAPER of July, 20th 2013 on Pages 9-11. Which has now been subjected to various interpretations.

What the Senate considered for determination under the review of Nigerian Constitution was RENUNCIATION OF CITIZENSHIP UNDER THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION.

THE QUESTION BEFORE THE SENATE FOR DETERMINATION WAS WHETHER A CLAUSE WHICH PROVIDES THAT "a married woman is deemed to be of full age to renounce her CITIZENSHIP OF FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA SHOULD BE RETAINED OR BE DELETED?

Section 29(1) of the Constitution of Federal Republic of Nigeria provides that "Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the RENUNCIATION"

The question before the SENATE FOR WHICH I VOTED I INFAVOUR WAS THAT A MARRIED WOMAN IS DEEMED TO BE OF FULL AGE TO RENOUNCE HER NIGERIAN CITIZENSHIP.

THIS IS QUITE DIFFERENT FROM VOTING IN FAVOUR OF 'UNDERAGE MARRIAGE' as now widely reported in the Media to blackmail Senators of FRN that believed in peaceful co-existence of Nigeria as a Nation.

I wish to EMPHATICALLY MAINTAINED THAT, I NEVER VOTED INFAVOUR OF UNDERAGE MARRIAGE AS WRONGLY REPORTED IN THE MEDIA. WHAT I VOTED FOR WAS THAT " a married woman is deemed to be of full age to renounced her citizenship of FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA as entrenched in the CONSTITUTION SINCE 1999.

This implied that RENUNCIATION OF NIGERIAN CITIZENSHIP IS QUITE DIFFERENT FROM AGE OF MARRIAGE OF
NIGERIAN CITIZENS UNDER THE CONSTITUTION OF FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, I SUBMITTED THIS
CLARIFICATIONS TO THE WHOLE NIGERIA AND THE WORLD AT LARGE, THAT MY PEOPLE IN ONDO CENTRAL AND GOVERNMENT OF ONDO STATE DID NOT SUPPORT UNDER AGE MARRIAGE IN ALL RAMIFICATIONS.

LONG LIVE ONDO CENTRAL SENATORIAL DISTRICT

LONG LIVE ONDO STATE GOVERNMENT

LONG LIVE SENATE OF FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA

LONG LIVE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA

Distinguished Senator Ayo Akinyelure,FCA
Chairman, Senate Committee On Ethics,
Privileges & Public Petitions
Ondo Central Senatorial District

[img]http://1.bp..com/-wO2jNBnZ4PM/Uezu9I42iKI/AAAAAAAAADk/5baY2AyJS_E/s1600/ayo+akinselure.jpg[/img]

http://myondostate.com/w3/update-ondo-senator-akinyelure-states-his-case-in-reaction-to-pedophile-vote/
http://www.childnotbride.com/2013/07/press-release-by-senator-ayo-akinyelure.html
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Johnnyhoo(m): 12:32am On Jul 23, 2013
liar
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Krasid(m): 12:32am On Jul 23, 2013
I just dey observe

5 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 12:34am On Jul 23, 2013
grin grin grin Like Mimiko, like Akinyelure. Liars.

9 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by princesammmy: 12:36am On Jul 23, 2013
which one we go belive?
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 12:36am On Jul 23, 2013
I ALMOST THOT HE WAS BROUGHT UP IN THE NORTH TO HAVE SUPPORTED THE MOTION BUT GOOD TO KNOW HE IS EQUALLY AGAINST IT FROM HIS EXPRESSION HERE

3 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by olapluto(m): 12:36am On Jul 23, 2013
Well understood Senator. We know those who jump on bandwagon are not the intelligent ones. That Section 29 NEVER mentioned or endorsed child marriage. As long as it serves some emergency activists purpose, they conveniently twisted the whole thing. Stella Damascus even made a video highlighting her misinformation. Many cosmetic activists on twitter, facebook and even here on nairaland needed to get busy, so they picked on Yerima. When they all settle down to digest the bill, I hope the reasonable ones among them will retract and apologize.

24 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by superior1: 12:37am On Jul 23, 2013
Senator sir, I think you need a psychiatry evaluation urgently.

You mean there is nothing wrong in declaring a married 13 year old baby wise enough to renounce her citizenship?? Ode!!!

19 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by frankzone: 12:37am On Jul 23, 2013
We don hear
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by SIRKOL(m): 12:41am On Jul 23, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by igbsam(m): 12:41am On Jul 23, 2013
yea right.....
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by seankay(m): 12:43am On Jul 23, 2013
Politicians can lie sha! Bleep the bloody fool! What does he take us for,fool? Some hours ago,you were apologizing and now you saying somethng else...my belief is dat u took bribe and you didn't expect you secret evil nature to be unveiled,Pervert oshi.Ur boss(mimiko) is a thief and so you are.Mr Gov paying to win awards yet no employments in the state.He is still owing local gov workers jan salary,no industrilization,increasing taxes....Things aren't as easy as it use to be in this state presently.

12 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 12:44am On Jul 23, 2013
Krasid: I just dey observe

aha....all of dem dun dey'DENY''......yarima in trobo...huz nxt??
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Decapo: 12:44am On Jul 23, 2013
Yeye man
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by ebor(m): 12:45am On Jul 23, 2013
Be humble and apologise for voting in error instead of justifying the content of what u voted. The fact that the prescribed age for marriage was not specified n within the context of senator Yerima's argument on the issue before voting you should have known better that a trap was set for people like u who only consider d content of a constitional provision without considering the context n wider implication. The question then is why was it that u were d only senator from the south west that voted that way?...the best is to just say sorry 4 voting in error or ignorance.

28 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Decapo: 12:47am On Jul 23, 2013
seankay: Politicians can lie sha! Bleep the bloody fool! What does he take us for,fool? Some hours ago,you were apologizing and now you saying somethng else...my belief is dat u took bribe and you didn't expect you secret evil nature to be unveiled,Pervert oshi.Ur boss(mimiko) is a thief and so you are.Mr Gov paying to win awards yet no employments in the state.He is still owing local gov workers jan salary,no industrilization,increasing taxes....Things aren't as easy as it use to be in this state presently.
. Are u a Nigerian?

1 Like

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by YoshiMaster: 12:48am On Jul 23, 2013
So why did that Yerima guy make some speech on the floor, saying that to go against that would be to go against Islamic Law?

In using Islamic law as reasoning behind any law, doesn't that conflict with the whole idea of Nigeria being a secular state?

How does an underage girl get married in the first place? Then once she is married, she automatically becomes "of age"?

Also in his response to his critics, he mentioned that he too could give out his kid daughter.

I'm not a Lawyer, so I wouldn't mind if anyone takes me to school on these questions raised. Just trying to fit the pieces together.

10 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by 1bunne4lif(m): 12:50am On Jul 23, 2013
Good for him
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Ayorh4you(m): 12:54am On Jul 23, 2013
Story Story.......
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nuvally: 1:01am On Jul 23, 2013
What is the need?
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 23, 2013
Decapo: . Are u a Nigerian?

Jamb question

3 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 1:03am On Jul 23, 2013
This man is an unrepentant liar

4 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by manny4life(m): 1:05am On Jul 23, 2013
This man is just A SORE LOSER and a FREAKING HYPOCRITE, and did I mention a LIAR?

How about this?

The people of Mr Akinyelure’s Senatorial District on Monday staged a peaceful protest in Akure, the State Capital against the voting of the lawmaker representing them in the Senate for supporting the child marriage bill.

Summoned by the constituents to a meeting held at the Cultural Centre Auditorium, Akure, which is also the Senatorial headquarters, Mr Akinyelure regretted the act and apologised to the people, explaining that he cast the vote in error.

[size=16pt]He emphasised that as a true Yoruba man, he wouldn’t have intentionally voted in support of child marriage.[/size]

He said there is still hope in correcting the situation as the bill will still be passed at the House of Representatives and the States Houses of Assembly.

Why is this man contradicting himself?

19 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by T8ksy(m): 1:06am On Jul 23, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
So why did that Yerima guy make some speech on the floor, saying that to go against that would be to go against Islamic Law?

In using Islamic law as reasoning behind any law, doesn't that conflict with the whole idea of Nigeria being a secular state?

How does one get to marry an underage person, and then once she is married, she automatically becomes "of age"?

I'm not a Lawyer, so I wouldn't mind if anyone takes me to school on these questions raised. Just trying to fit the pieces together.

On another thread where yerima was defending his marriage to a 13yr old, he clearly stated that his

Islamic Law takes precedence over the country's constitution and yet he's a senator of Nigeria and a nigerian......

6 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by eaglechild: 1:10am On Jul 23, 2013
A disgrace to Ondo and Yorubas.
They are becoming so many these days.

6 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by mannobi(m): 1:12am On Jul 23, 2013

11 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by YoshiMaster: 1:22am On Jul 23, 2013
T8ksy:

On another thread where yerima was defending his marriage to a 13yr old, he clearly stated that his

Islamic Law takes precedence over the country's constitution and yet he's a senator of Nigeria and a nigerian......

Mind boggling, I tell ya!

Like seriously, I'm not gonna hate on any religion, but religious Laws should not be superimposed on the general population, or used as justification for formulating any bill.

7 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by naptu2: 1:23am On Jul 23, 2013
The 1979 constitution did not contain provisions for renunciation of citizenship. During constitutional review debates in 1979 Aminu Kano (the leader of the PRP) felt that the age of 18 years used in subsection 4a was an arbitrary western concept of maturity. The legislators in 1979 at the time agreed with the PRP argument and subsection 4b was included.

That section has been in the constitution since then. It reads thus (I've also included subsection 4):

29. (1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.

(a) "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;

(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.

The constitution is currently being amended and rights groups have called for the deletion of subsection 4b.

You need 2/3rds majority of votes in the senate, house of representatives and 2/3rds of all the state houses of assembly in order to amend the constitution.

2/3rds of the senators present at that time = 73 votes. The senate voted and more than 73 senators voted that 4b should be deleted. The senate moved on to other clauses.

A while later, Senator Yerima raised a point of order that subsection 4b cannot be deleted because deleting it is against islamic law. He stated that in islam, a woman is deemed to be of full age once she has gotten married. The Senate President, David Mark, reminded Yerima that the Senate has a tradition that it does not re-visit a clause once it has been voted on, but Senator Yerima continued to protest.

Eventually the Senate President agreed to hold a second vote. This time 60 senators voted that the subsection should be removed, while 35 voted that it should not be removed. They couldn't get 2/3rds majority.

Section 4b stands.

I wonder why Mark agreed to hold a second vote.

Some have said that the ambiguity in section 4b could lead to the legalisation of marriages of people under the age of 18. However, others argue that it won't because, according to the Child Rights Act, it is illegal to marry anyone below the age of 18. The marriage would be illegal at the time it is being contracted, while section 4b deals with a woman that is already married. But note that the Child Rights Act has only been domesticated in 24 states.

14 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by tpia5: 1:25am On Jul 23, 2013
superior1: Senator sir, I think you need a psychiatry evaluation urgently.

You mean there is nothing wrong in declaring a married 13 year old baby wise enough to renounce her citizenship?? Ode!!!

sir, who is the married 13 year old you're referring to here?

let me quote the section of the nigerian constitution that addresses naturalization eligibility:

27. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, any person who is qualified in accordance with the provisions of this section may apply to the President for the same of a certificate of naturalisation.
(2) No person shall be qualified to apply for the grant of a certificate or naturalisation, unless he satisfies the President that -

(a) he is a person of full age and capacity;

(b) he is a person of good character;

(c) he has shown a clear intention of his desire to be domiciled in Nigeria;

(d) he is, in the opinion of the Governor of the State where he is or he proposes to be resident, acceptable to the local community in which he is to live permanently, and has been assimilated into the way of life of Nigerians in that part of the Federation;

(e) he is a person who has made or is capable of making useful contribution to the advancement; progress and well-being of Nigeria;

(f) he has taken the Oath of Allegiance prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution; and

(g) he has, immediately preceding the date of his application, either-

(i) resided in Nigeria for a continuous period of fifteen years; or

(ii) resided in Nigeria continuously for a period of twelve months, and during the period of twenty years immediately preceding that period of twelve months has resided in Nigeria for periods amounting in the aggregate to not less than fifteen years

kindly note the bolded!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N600bn Debt: Contractors Abandon Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, 183 Others / Policeman Shoots At Ohanaeze Meeting In Enugu / Election Tribunal: PDP, Atiku Miss Chance To Present 400 Witnesses In 10 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.