Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,940 members, 7,817,751 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage (21377 Views)

A Northerner's View About Buhari Handshake And Aisha's Under-age Marriage / Under Age Marriage In Nigeria / Gay Marriage Vs Under Age Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 7:57am On Jul 23, 2013
Who cares
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Fitzy4real(m): 8:00am On Jul 23, 2013
delors:
Bros, noooooooooooo! I restrained from this very strong temptation to call you a name. I am a changed individual grin grin grin...But then, these guys knew what thy were doing. truth is that:
1. they never knew that the names of these guys WHO voted would be published
2. They knew the implication of voting against that particular clause of the section....a lawyer could interpret that in many ways. We were lucky to have been informed on the implication of such a move
3. They never knew that Nigerians would understand the implication of wiping that clause out of the constitution.
Wake up bro and get a good understanding of the law. If they say, "As from 6pm, children can no longer play outside their homes" a good lawyer could interpret this to be so many things like 1. curfew after 6pm 2. who is a child? What is the age bracket of a child? 11? 12? 13? 17? If a 30yr old man still has the brain of a 10yr old, then he is a child...the law is a criminally-minded document written by criminals...take a cue from Zimmerman's Self-Defense and Stand Your Ground clauses in the US constitution and how he won the Trayvon's case with these...we are enlightened bro. We know what's up

U've spoken very well, but this is too much for his tender brain to comprehend...

1 Like

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Dovahkiin(m): 8:02am On Jul 23, 2013
"distinguished" grin
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Fitzy4real(m): 8:04am On Jul 23, 2013
phildon: That is Nigeria and her gullible youths for you. I think the Senator's explanation is just too clear. If you have anything against Senator Yerima, I think it's entirely a different issue.

If you actually believe this guy, you deserve an award for your gullibility...

Most Gullible Youth in Nigeria (MGYN)
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 23, 2013
he simply doesn't understand english. or maybe it is d sentence that confused him
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by sharks776(m): 8:10am On Jul 23, 2013
When we were in secondary school(precisely SS1 and 2) some gov'tal and NGO came to my school to teach us about HIV/Aids and "safe sex". Most of us then were between the ages of 15-20years old. We were taught all we need to know about AIDS and various modes of "safe sex" ranging from proper use of condoms and other forms of contraceptives as we were considered the vulnerable age group. To some of us that was the first time we got to know about our anatomy and that of the opposite sex. And some were eager to practicalize it at the sligthest oppotunity. As it were,it made us know more about safe sex and also "ways to have it wihout mummy and daddy knowing" but what about God? What about our African values and or morals? To some they gave them licence for premarital sex,therefore it was not suprizing to find used condoms around during the extension periods. If he/she's mature to know about sex,and have pre marital sex,then its better you marry her off,simple. I believe that's the stand of some. Moreso,an under aged child can still go to school even after marriage,so what are we ranting about pen not p*nis? But what's the justification of arranging a marriage for a little girl that is not even aware of her body yet? Why will a little girl go through the agony of painful intercouse,pregnancy,labour,and nursing another child? Well,if that can bé done for the girl child,how will you feel if they introduce you to one grand ma as your wife to bé? Lol,but what is good for the goose is also good for the gander. In as much that under aged marriage seems to have lots of advantages(it prevents promiscuity,and preserve good morals; and lots more) it also has its disadvantages not withstanding. Whether you marry her off at 8,18,or 28 its your choice,but if left freely to make the choice for herself then she'll appreciate it the more no matter the age. For me,I have seen a virgin at 32years,I have also seen a 14years old boldly confessing the number of d**k she has collected. So it doesnt matter,if peson wan spoil ego still spoil weda na husband house she dey. Its a coin that has two sides,there's no bad choice,it can either bé head or tail. So which ever camp you belong to,bé wise and dont bé too sentimental or try to impose your choice on another(try to see it through the other person's eye). On this note FGI rest his case. Enjoy the rest of the day friends!
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by temillawson(f): 8:11am On Jul 23, 2013
naptu2: The 1979 constitution did not contain provisions for renunciation of citizenship. During constitutional review debates in 1979 Aminu Kano (the leader of the PRP) felt that the age of 18 years used in subsection 4a was an arbitrary western concept of maturity. The legislators in 1979 at the time agreed with the PRP argument and subsection 4b was included.

That section has been in the constitution since then. It reads thus (I've also included subsection 4):

29. (1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.

(a) "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;

(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.

The constitution is currently being amended and rights groups have called for the deletion of subsection 4b.

You need 2/3rds majority of votes in the senate, house of representatives and 2/3rds of all the state houses of assembly in order to amend the constitution.

2/3rds of the senators present at that time = 73 votes. The senate voted and more than 73 senators voted that 4b should be deleted. The senate moved on to other clauses.

A while later, Senator Yerima raised a point of order that subsection 4b cannot be deleted because deleting it is against islamic law. He stated that in islam, a woman is deemed to be of full age once she has gotten married. The Senate President, David Mark, reminded Yerima that the Senate has a tradition that it does not re-visit a clause once it has been voted on, but Senator Yerima continued to protest.

Eventually the Senate President agreed to hold a second vote. This time 60 senators voted that the subsection should be removed, while 35 voted that it should not be removed. They couldn't get 2/3rds majority.

Section 4b stands.

I wonder why Mark agreed to hold a second vote.

Some have said that the ambiguity in section 4b could lead to the legalisation of marriages of people under the age of 18. However, others argue that it won't because, according to the Child Rights Act, it is illegal to marry anyone below the age of 18. The marriage would be illegal at the time it is being contracted, while section 4b deals with a woman that is already married. But note that the Child Rights Act has only been domesticated in 24 states.

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by naptu2: 8:19am On Jul 23, 2013
Usually the National Assembly sets up a joint committee when it wants to amend the constitution. The committee is made up of senators and members of the House of Representatives. The Deputy Senate President usually acts as chairman of the committee, while the Deputy Speaker of the House acts as deputy chairman.

The committee holds sittings across the senatorial zones of the country to get the opinions and ideas of the people. Some people want state creation, others want independent candidates, etc. The committee collates these proposals, goes back to Abuja, fine-tunes the proposals and presents them to the two houses.

Section 9 of The Constitution of The Federal Republic of Nigeria (1999) spells out the process that is required in order to amend the constitution.

(Note: section 29 (4b) is not a new provision. It has been in the constitution since the 1980s).

The senators and members of the House vote on the proposals on a clause by clause basis.

In order to amend any section of the constitution, at least 2/3rds of the members of the Senate and 2/3rds of the members of the House and 2/3rds of the members of 2/3rds of the state houses of assembly must vote in support of the amendment.

The constitution is amended when these members vote in favour of amendment. The bill does not require presidential assent.
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 23, 2013
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Dewze(m): 8:43am On Jul 23, 2013
ola_pluto: Well understood Senator. We know those who jump on bandwagon are not the intelligent ones. That Section 29 NEVER mentioned or endorsed child marriage. As long as it serves some emergency activists purpose, they conveniently twisted the whole thing. Stella Damascus even made a video highlighting her misinformation. Many cosmetic activists on twitter, facebook and even here on nairaland needed to get busy, so they picked on Yerima. When they all settle down to digest the bill, I hope the reasonable ones among them will retract and apologize.

guy drop this your point.

Giving a child of 13 a right to renounce her nationality on the grounds that she is married is the same thing as giving her an adult status. Giving her an adult status is thesame as saying it is ok for her to be married at that age in the first place.
It is a clandestine means to create a crack in the wall for the real thing to be sneaked in without the public noticing. A clandestine way of legitimizing a marriage to a child. It is called a smoke screen.

You think Yerima and his likes do not know what they are doing?

That law, however you want to describe it should be deleted.

2 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by naptu2: 8:46am On Jul 23, 2013
Dewze:

guy drop this your point.

Giving a child of 13 a right to renounce her nationality on the grounds that she is married is the same thing as giving her an adult status. Giving her an adult status is thesame as saying it is ok for her to be married at that age in the first place.
It is a clandestine means to create a crack in the wall for the real thing to be sneaked in without the public noticing. A clandestine way of legitimizing a marriage to a child. It is called a smoke screen.

You think Yerima and his likes do not know what they are doing?

That law, however you want to describe it should not be changed or amended.

Should not be amended or should be amended
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by LEXYCOM: 8:46am On Jul 23, 2013
I need to marry oone of his under age daughters...
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Pataki: 8:46am On Jul 23, 2013
If this man has any morals in him, he should kindly resign.

In a sane environment, his political career would be over.
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Decapo: 8:48am On Jul 23, 2013
sanniemoe:

Jamb question
no wonder you keep failing jamb
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Dovahkiin(m): 8:49am On Jul 23, 2013
ola_pluto: Well understood Senator. We know those who jump on bandwagon are not the intelligent ones. That Section 29 NEVER mentioned or endorsed child marriage. As long as it serves some emergency activists purpose, they conveniently twisted the whole thing. Stella Damascus even made a video highlighting her misinformation. Many cosmetic activists on twitter, facebook and even here on nairaland needed to get busy, so they picked on Yerima. When they all settle down to digest the bill, I hope the reasonable ones among them will retract and apologize.

i was gonna reply , then i saw ur profile and i understood where u were coming from . where will you be bringing your child bride from ? grin

1 Like

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 23, 2013
Fitzy4real:

I'm just so sorry for you...
Sorry for your f***king self u bastard
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 23, 2013
Fitzy4real:

I'm just so sorry for you...
Sorry for your f***king self u
baaztard
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by SimpleTips(m): 8:55am On Jul 23, 2013
According to what he said last night on OSRC he said ' he did not know that the other people will not follow ' but to me either he said it or not, either he vote or not, He is from Yoruba and he knows what our culture and customs are, he didn't suppose to vote.
If denies that he did not vote, that's a big lie
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by bandb: 8:58am On Jul 23, 2013
Is this man the crying Senator? This people and crying sef. I guess he is related to the baby general
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Dovahkiin(m): 9:00am On Jul 23, 2013
babagy82: Yes they voted for underage girls to be married, so what?? even if they vote for or against underage marriage, young girls must marry. We are in Nigeria where things dont always work constitutionally. I cant marry a girl who is below 20yrs of age, but i dont see anything wrong if someone marries a girl of below 18. Adultery and fornication is very bad in islam, and the best way to protect your self from commiting those sins is by getting married if you have the means,thats what our religion tought us. Lets Stop decieving ourselves, if i go to my village an then married a girl of 16yrs what will happen? Who will punish me for that? A senator married a 13 yr old girl what happened? Was he asked to resign? When goodluck removed fuel subsidy people protested, many lost there lives those that bring the price of PMS bask to 65 naira? This is another waste of time e-warriors. Find something more productive to do.

You and yerima dey use the same ret@rded logic , una be neighbours . no be una fault , sick ppl undecided undecided undecided
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Dewze(m): 9:05am On Jul 23, 2013
Hdz4luv: Actually am sick of dis trash, its my choice 2 marry unda age and also giv out my daughter at d age i wish... So pls southerners wat is ur own problem abt my affairs,is she ur own daughter? Ah see wahala.

your daughter belongs to the constitutional state(the larger community) first before she belongs to you. You shld be educated enough to know this, or are u not?

If u do not like this reality then u should not and should not have given birth to her in the first place.

Bringing a child to the world is a choice aswell.

1 Like

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 23, 2013
Dewze:

your daughter belongs to the constitutional state(the larger community) first before she belongs to you. You shld be educated enough to know this, or are u not?

If u do not like this reality then u should not and should not have given birth to her in the first place.

Bringing a child to the world is a choice aswell.

Help me to tell the aboki idiot dt in a reasonable society the child is owned by the government even before the family..

Or else....lots of selfish parents would have killed their children in the name of “I gave birth to him or her” so can do anything..

Your child's right is very key!

1 Like

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Dewze(m): 9:10am On Jul 23, 2013
SimpleTips: According to what he said last night on OSRC he said ' he did not know that the other people will not follow ' but to me either he said it or not, either he vote or not, He is from Yoruba and he knows what our culture and customs are, he didn't suppose to vote.
If denies that he did not vote, that's a big lie

that means he is saying that he acts in the senate based on the actions of other senators and not based on his understanding of the believes, philosophies and principles of his constituents.
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by diamond002: 9:15am On Jul 23, 2013
Wat r D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ saying sef undecidedwat is going on? and wat is all dis news abt #childNotBride# undecidedobserving
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by ucnduka(f): 9:16am On Jul 23, 2013
Hmmm...so this clause has been in the constituition since the 80's and no one raised issues about its ambiguity till now? Anyway,its unfortunate that its majorly southerners that are making so much noise for or against d clause cause' those really affected i.e. The northerners are really not aying anything. From what I've read about d child bride practice in Northern nigeria, both the rich and poor,literate and illiterate practice it, so while these so called activists are calling on us to sign protest letters and what not,if they really want to make an impact...they shld look at the big picture.
Whether, d Nigerian constituition validates or invalidates the act of marrying children off, these northerners wld continue their practice if their minds are not reformed. it took years to convince alot of them about the benefits of childhood immunization, so you can imagine how much work it wld take to re-educate parents and their children(cos I read even some of the girls look forward to being married off). Seriously, this campaign should go beyond making noise all over the internet, I can assure d man with 12 daughters in a remote village in Jigawa does not have access to the internet and definitely does not know about this debate...lets educate these people esp with the enlightened one from among them.

3 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:17am On Jul 23, 2013
He took the trait of mimiko, the great state tricky politician...deceit is their game. Fvck him
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by jude33084(m): 9:19am On Jul 23, 2013

People like you can fall into a deep well without knowing what hit you, a simple trap was set by a pedophile and you gladly fell for it?

*Just shaking my head* sad

2 Likes

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by globalwaly(m): 9:19am On Jul 23, 2013
Lie Lie Lie..Opposite
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by MuyiGL: 9:21am On Jul 23, 2013
Who is this man's PR that can't write proper English?

That being said, we Nigerians's aren't fools. Why would the constitution have to clearly state that "a married woman is deemed to be of full age to renounce her CITIZENSHIP". Doesn't that imply that woman is underage in the first place? Or does a 30 year-old woman become "unfull" of age after she marries?

What we want is for that clause to be removed. Simple.
If he voted for it not to be removed, he by extension voted for underage marriage.

1 Like

Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by Skmoda360(m): 9:22am On Jul 23, 2013
eaglechild: A disgrace to Ondo and Yorubas.
They are becoming so many these days.
Indeed a disgrace.
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by adeboolusegun(m): 9:26am On Jul 23, 2013
y cant people jst stand on their words.....dis is a big lie to what was formally announced. Anyway since he sees that Nigerians are not in support @least to protect his dignity,he has to change hid word. Coward!!! angryy cant people jst stand on their words.....dis is a big lie to what was formally announced. Anyway since he sees that Nigerians are not in support @least to protect his dignity,he has to change hid word. Coward!!!
Re: Senator Akinyelure Denies Voting For Under-age Marriage by adeboolusegun(m): 9:29am On Jul 23, 2013
All well and good,i knw the minds of Nigerians towards this issue at hand,but let all dcleaations be made in just nd truth.This must be a cowardic act.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Paul Chukwuma Accused Of Sharing Money To Delegates - ThePlatFormNews / Shehu Sani remains Kaduna Central senatorial candidate, APC insists / Election Tribunal: PDP, Atiku Miss Chance To Present 400 Witnesses In 10 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.