Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,829 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

11-year-old Girl Runs Away From Home To Avoid Arranged Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 11-year-old Girl Runs Away From Home To Avoid Arranged Marriage (2409 Views)

My Husband Runs Away From Having Sexual Intercourse With Me: Wife / Love Marriage Or Arranged Marriage Which Do You Prefer? / An Arranged Marriage: Is It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

11-year-old Girl Runs Away From Home To Avoid Arranged Marriage by segunsd: 7:41am On Jul 23, 2013
I don’t understand the trend where underage girls are found pleasing for marriage. While Nigerians battle with the senate over such issues and are petitioning senators that are trying to establish the act, other parts of the world are also battling with their own little share.

Sanda Rose reports that an 11-year-old Yemeni girl ran away from home to escape an arranged marriage to an older man.

Nada al-Ahdal was saved from an arranged marriage only after her uncle intervened. In a video posted on YouTube, Nada says: “Go ahead and marry me off – I’ll kill myself.” While we shudder to think what our lives would be like to be married at 11, it is tradition in other cultures.

In America, girls are not considered adults until they turn 18. But in other parts of the world, girls become adults when they begin menstruating — usually around 12 years of age. In other cultures young girls are married off as early as 7 or 8 years old to ease the financial burden of families living in poverty. Love has nothing to do with it.

It is unbecoming. See video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J7_TKgw1To

http://naijapose.com/a-pedophilic-world-11-year-old-girl-runs-away-from-home-to-avoid-arranged-marriage-id-rather-kill-myself/

Re: 11-year-old Girl Runs Away From Home To Avoid Arranged Marriage by Tundeiab(m): 10:35am On Jul 23, 2013
Gbam! This should bring our retardeen senators who voted in favour of child marriageto their right senses. I am not in support of child marriage and will never be.

(1) (Reply)

Please Advice This ''pregnant'' Girl (photo) / What Do You Call Your Dad's Brothers Or Sis. Who are of The Same Age With You / My Advice To Married Couples After Divorcing My Wife Of 16 Years By Gerald Roger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.