Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,491 members, 7,816,163 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike (12052 Views)

FUEL SCARCITY: NLC Threatens To Order Workers To Down Tools If… / NLC Threatens Nationwide Strike Over Fuel Scarcity / NLC Threatens Strike For Flogging Of Sokoto PHCN Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by onyeka205(m): 4:36pm On Jul 24, 2013
slap1: Acidosis is right, even though his submissions maybe a bit off the mark or relative. In my school, a HOD (P.hD) told us in church (he's our chaplain) that his basic salary is over 450k per month. . .that's basic pay. Another P.hD guy said that if he isn't paid in a year, it can only affect his flamboyant lifestyle, and not his stomach or upkeep. He drives a Toyota Camry, A Mercedes V-Boot and a Volkswagen Touareg.

That your HOD is a liar. Total take home for a senior lecturer which must have a PhD and on AUSS 5/2 is #247,946. I stand to be proved wrong by posting the pay slip of your so called chaplain while I substantiate my claim by posting the pay slip of a senior lecturer on the aforementioned grade level.

1 Like

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Myself2(m): 4:48pm On Jul 24, 2013
I hate strikes,lazy greedy professors and criminal NLC
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by McLuhan(m): 4:48pm On Jul 24, 2013
Acidosis: Wow, thats a very f00lish decision

The ASUU I know will never join anyone (not even the Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities) in any solidarity rubbish.

The problem with our lecturers is: They think PhD equates Large, Fat money.. Too many demands.. high expectation.

Some of these profs, earn between N700,000 - N1,000,000 basic salary monthly.
Plus sabaticals, free lecture hours (for business), other income from affiliate programs (Pre-degree, Post-Graduate, Professional degrees etc), allowances, visiting lecturers to other schools (not free), consultancy (not free), books and publications (for sale) etc..

They keep complaining about the time spent writing journals (journals meant for their OWN quick promotion, money, not STUDENTS).

Yet they keep comparing themselves with people who earn average sums working almost 20hours a day without any opportunity to do other works.

Now it would be very foolish for NLC to tell someone who earn N20K a month to sit at home in solidarity for a group of people who do not care about their existence.
Pardon me, but the information contained in your post is quite misleading and demands a prompt and firm rebuttal, which I shall now attempt to provide.

First, by the current academic staff salary scale (CONUASS), no professor in a public university in Nigeria earns the kind of monthly salaries you have quoted, except such professors are also vice chancellors - and vice chancellors, as you know, are political appointees. To be frank, the most senior and most distinguished professors earn less than 500,000 Naira monthly. Here, I'm referring to scholars who have reached the apogee of formal education, with publications in numerous internationally refereed journals and decades spent in research, teaching, and community service. Do you honestly think that people so highly qualified and who have contributed so much to society are currently over-remunerated? If so, what do you think causes the brain drain by which our best talents emigrate to the US, the UK, Canada, South Africa, and even Ghana and Botswana?

You also alleged that lecturers are more interested in the perquisites of their jobs, such as sabbatical leaves, adjunct lectureships and sundry allowances, which you would have us believe are freebies. Well, every university in the world recognises the usefulness of the sabbatical leave, which comes once in seven years and affords senior scholars the opportunity to conduct teaching and research in some cognate subject matter in another university or research institute that might offer up-to-date facilities and knowledge, which the institution in which the scholar is tenured, might not offer. So, a sabbatical is not an all-expense-paid beach vacation to be spent in some exotic seaside hotel in the Bahamas. As a matter of fact, most lecturers hardly go on any leave, as other workers in the civil service do. During holidays, they teach part-time continuing education classes, for which even the government and the vice chancellors have conceded that the lecturers are currently paid a pittance. Besides, they supervise postgraduate research, something for which no government-owned university in Nigeria pays a dime.

You also wrote about sales of books by lecturers. The truth is that in most universities in Nigeria, the sale of books to students is highly regulated. Handouts are strictly prohibited in many. In the universities with which I am most familiar, no lecturer is allowed to make the purchase of his own books compulsory and one has to attain a certain rank (usually Senior Lecturer) before any authored books can be accepted for purposes of promotion. Junior lecturers are encouraged to publish in peer-refereed journals.

I could go on and on, my friend. The point I'm making is that the life of a university lecturer in Nigeria is not necessarily that of greed and of indolence as you portray it to be. Such a portrayal is the stuff of government propaganda. The reality is that tertiary education in Nigeria is grossly underfunded, resulting in the near-collapse of the sector, which is why the lecturers are on strike. Rather than lay the blame on the long-suffering teachers, therefore, we should plead with the FG to implement an agreement it signed in 2009, in the hope that that agreement may begin to address some of the many anomalies in Nigerian tertiary education. Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Myself2(m): 4:53pm On Jul 24, 2013
onyeka205:

That your HOD is a liar. Total take home for a senior lecturer which must have a PhD and on AUSS 5/2 is #247,946. I stand to be proved wrong by posting the pay slip of your so called chaplain while I substantiate my claim by posting the pay slip of a senior lecturer on the aforementioned grade level.

No you go ahead and post the 250k payslip of your lecturer friend.You alleged the chaplain lecturer @slap1 mentioned was lying;then prove it by posting the pay slip,yes the pay slip of the chaplain lecturer
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by cosify: 4:59pm On Jul 24, 2013
Most of their demands seem undergraduates-oriented.It is on that basis that i support NLC's threat.Even if government meets these demands,I hope d implementation by ASUU would be effective so as not to give room for lapses or corruption.These are now perrenial needs and should be met as soon as possible.But I think ASUU has to reduce their demands a bit so that they could be realised in no time.
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by ferking(m): 5:10pm On Jul 24, 2013
hmmm thiss ASUU matter nawa oh,but come to think of it how much do each university in Nigeria sent to the federation account that the lecturer thinks they should be given every thing they made from schools, those guys are just there making the money into their pocket, am not insurport of the government for poor education standard in the country but the fact is that our follow nigerians are not helping matters, when the government create a standard the university stuff will dilute wit their corrupt practises. The most annoying thing here is that these lecturers are so selfish they don't even have the interest of their student at heart,how can a lecturer calls for a strike that will last for 3 month without considering what will happen to academic calender? Just because they are looking for the opportunity to go and do ther priavate business, because most of them runs priavate lecture in a different location for their interest,some of them lectures in priavate university that why they are doing what they are doing. I hate to see every body in Nigeria to wanting to share the national cake without thinking on how to bake it,every body in nigeria just want to work for themself but no body care's to work for the country,but in our antherm we all pleadge to serve the nation with all our strength,but in real life the reverse is the case if u will research this thing u will understand the the Government don't make profite in most of the establishment,but every body will claim they are serving the nation mean while they all serving themself,do u know how much it cost to build one standard university in a setuition were every body touching the project will take a share from it?then fill it with staff ?let assume that these money was borrow from any avenue with intention to pay back with interest,please sombody should tell me how much will take for the money to be reture in a setuation were every body wants to fiill his pocket?like in the case of Nigerian public servant? Please lets work in unity to build our nation not destroy it with selffishness oh...
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by CrimzP(m): 5:10pm On Jul 24, 2013
mkmyers45:

@First Bolded: No Professor under the present HATISS/CONUASS earns as high as you report from basic salary, you are infact very very far from the mark.

@Second Bolded: NASS gulps over 10% of budget expenditure including constituency allowance, how many hours do they work per year?

are you now justifying our NASS salary.....? Because that's what it looks like to me
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by enlady(f): 5:26pm On Jul 24, 2013
the threads that have sprung up since this ASUU strike began has taught me a lesson about Nairaland- most of the the things people post here as facts are just blatant lies! First, the CONUASS salary structure as approved in 2009, and slightly amended in 2011 puts the monthly gross salary of a professor-at-bar at roughly N500k. That is, for a prof who has gotten to the bar, no more promotions. While a graduate assistant takes between 90-98k monthly.
But i have seen some ridiculous persons on NL claiming that a grad assistant takes 140k monthly. That is what obtains in all public universities. Dont come here quoting salaries from private universities. No need to upload any payslip, you can get a copy of the entire CONUASS table if u wish. Go and get the facts straight!
Second, the claim by one poster that most lecturers are corrupt, selfish, arrogant and wicked is a wicked generalisation. I have spent all my working life in the university system. Even though there are bad eggs in the system- some of the most kind hearted and loving persons i have met are university academics!!!

1 Like

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by domido(m): 5:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
make dem strike abeg make i get rest from dis my work wey no wan gimme holiday.
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by chreldb(m): 5:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
Acidosis:

Attack my post (not me)...

If you cannot highlight my errors, then keep quiet

My experience on NL has taught me to be picky on the kind of posters i engaged in an argument/discussion with. Because there are a lot of air heads on this site. The best way to know is the content of their posts. However I am not saying you are one infact the reason I replied you is because I felt that the person behind this moniker should know better from your other posts. So I was rather dissapointed. As for the errors in your posts you ask me to highlight read the replies from Onyekah 205, Mcluhan's and enlady. I can confirm to you the information that they have given are very much accurate and onpoint. You can verify that anywhere!! I meant no offence but I think that in circumstances like these we should restrain from crusifying people who may be fighting for the greater good. Except we can authoritatively debunk such notion. Cheers

tha_originator: Nna mechonu! The poster you quoted with your trash eish made a whole lota sense. Why do people hate to hear the truth na? I guess you're one of those greedy/selfish lecturers or one of dem na ya papa!

^^^^^ Now this is exactly what I'm talking about!
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by seuntope8(m): 5:59pm On Jul 24, 2013
Out of dere dmands, d ones Dατ̲̅ goes 2 dere pockets ǃ§ nt up 2 4 dmands out of d 9 dmands. I think D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ Re nt slfish ova here by dos dmands. Its 4 d bettermnt of our tertiary education standard. Nd don't ask M̶̲̅ε̲̣ if I ve anybdy as a lecture cos I ve non. Long life 2 we Students
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by LausDeo(m): 6:19pm On Jul 24, 2013
Waheed Umar is most definitely an insane man. ASUP was on strike for over 2month and he ddnt say sh*t. Join strike ko join striker ni. And any1 who tinks diz lecturers are fighting for d better funding of unis or watever it is dey say must be out of dia mind. All dey want is to earn as much as politicians. Nigerian students,u're OYO
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Hearme(m): 6:44pm On Jul 24, 2013
This same problem that killed the sec schools is now at the doorstep of our universities. I just hope the govt will think ahead in this regards. Sorry to say if including tuition fee is the solution so be it. As so many science,engineering and medical related courses are now only theories. You can imagine 50 students trying to use a microscope. Its that bad.
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Oduduwa201: 8:10pm On Jul 24, 2013
If a trend like this continues, it may result in a revolution in Nigeria. A new political movement is rising in Nigeria called the movement of the people and when it happens, no army or politician can stop them. The various pressure groups like ASUU, NLC e.t.c will merge with the common man on the street to produce a powerful movement similare to the Arab spring. this may sound far fetched but it is the begining of a revolutin in Nigeria
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by scholes23(m): 8:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
Super strikers. Una for go confederations cup d time we dey find strikers[b][/b]
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Oduduwa201: 8:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
If a trend like this continues, it may result in a revolution in Nigeria. A new political movement is rising in Nigeria called the movement of the people and when it happens, no army or politician can stop them. The various pressure groups like ASUU, NLC e.t.c will merge with the common man on the street to produce a powerful movement similare to the Arab spring. this may sound far fetched but it is the begining of a revolutin in Nigeria. Know everything about Nigerian and black history on my blog

afroblackrace. thank you
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by samtos007: 8:20pm On Jul 24, 2013
onyeka205:

My HOD takes close to N500K. #confirm!
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Godson201333(m): 8:25pm On Jul 24, 2013
Either una follow strike or not ..werrin concern me...I don collect nd spend all my alawi finish.Make i go lagos go find work ABI?

1 Like

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by entaye(m): 8:26pm On Jul 24, 2013
NLC please U̶̲̥̅̊ can join if they will call off the strike cos ȋ̝̊̅ want to go Ƒ♡̷̴̬̩̃̊Я service this November. Mbok, biko
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by DaaSlim(m): 8:56pm On Jul 24, 2013
Dubemkelly: Instead of addressing d issue abt d thread...Beefing took over d order of d day, funny enuf I read abt a pained poly stdnt complaining dt NLC ddnt join ASUP in der strike,serzly wat ASUP was demandin 4 looked absurd tho dey deserve their own respect....Well,as far as I knw, ASUU is only seekin 4 improved facilities in d universities ie rehabilitation 4 conducive learnin environment not an increment in d salary scheme. The govt made a 9point agenda n yet 2 meet dat,my intrst is dt dey shud reconcile,make negotiation amicably stdnts wanna go bck 2 d classroom. Hu doesn't wanna bag outta d university n face d labour mkt? I cannot come nd go nd die joor #Yawns

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by IlajeOmuro: 9:25pm On Jul 24, 2013

The ASUU I know will never join anyone (not even the Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities) in any solidarity rubbish.

The problem with our lecturers is: They think PhD equates Large, Fat money.. Too many demands.. high expectation.

Plus sabaticals, free lecture hours (for business), other income from affiliate programs (Pre-degree, Post-Graduate, Professional degrees etc), allowances, visiting lecturers to other schools (not free), consultancy (not free), books and publications (for sale) etc..

They keep complaining about the time spent writing journals (journals meant for their OWN quick promotion, money, not STUDENTS).

Yet they keep comparing themselves with people who earn average sums working almost 20hours a day without any opportunity to do other works.

Now it would be very foolish for NLC to tell someone who earn N20K a month to sit at home in solidarity for a group of people who do not care about their existence.

Why must you guys advertise your ignorance and uncouth attitude on a public space like this. I lecture in Nigeria's Premier University and got my PhD seven years ago, but my monthly salary, basic plus allowances is N176,000. No professor earn N500,000 a month for your information.
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 24, 2013
mkmyers45:

@First Bolded: No Professor under the present HATISS/CONUASS earns as high as you report from basic salary, you are infact very very far from the mark.

@Second Bolded: NASS gulps over 10% of budget expenditure including constituency allowance, how many hours do they work per year?

I wonder where he got that figure.
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by emmabowin(m): 10:03pm On Jul 24, 2013

i see no reason why you should come here to misinform the public
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 24, 2013
ferking: hmmm thiss ASUU matter nawa oh,but come to think of it how much do each university in Nigeria sent to the federation account that the lecturer thinks they should be given every thing they made from schools, those guys are just there making the money into their pocket, am not insurport of the government for poor education standard in the country but the fact is that our follow nigerians are not helping matters, when the government create a standard the university stuff will dilute wit their corrupt practises. The most annoying thing here is that these lecturers are so selfish they don't even have the interest of their student at heart,how can a lecturer calls for a strike that will last for 3 month without considering what will happen to academic calender? Just because they are looking for the opportunity to go and do ther priavate business, because most of them runs priavate lecture in a different location for their interest,some of them lectures in priavate university that why they are doing what they are doing. I hate to see every body in Nigeria to wanting to share the national cake without thinking on how to bake it,every body in nigeria just want to work for themself but no body care's to work for the country,but in our antherm we all pleadge to serve the nation with all our strength,but in real life the reverse is the case if u will research this thing u will understand the the Government don't make profite in most of the establishment,but every body will claim they are serving the nation mean while they all serving themself,do u know how much it cost to build one standard university in a setuition were every body touching the project will take a share from it?then fill it with staff ?let assume that these money was borrow from any avenue with intention to pay back with interest,please sombody should tell me how much will take for the money to be reture in a setuation were every body wants to fiill his pocket?like in the case of Nigerian public servant? Please lets work in unity to build our nation not destroy it with selffishness oh...
You are one of the reasons ASUU has decided to go on strike. Read what you have posted again and tell me if you can really be called a person with quality education. See? These are the kinds we continue to roll out of institutions if ASUU does not address the crisis in universities.

1 Like

Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by BrosG: 10:45pm On Jul 24, 2013
Are there not better ways to resolve issues ? Na waooo should we start getting old in school first ?
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by mbhs139(m): 11:00pm On Jul 24, 2013
infoscope: You just showed us how dumb you are. If your lecturers at FUTA are dumb, my at FUTO are definitely not.

BTW if you are not comfortable with education in Nigeria, why not travel oversea. Your mates are their making 5.0 CGPA and you are here ranting thrash. Get a life dude

What is this one saying? Wharay re o!
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by mbhs139(m): 11:04pm On Jul 24, 2013
Ilaje Omuro:

Why must you guys advertise your ignorance and uncouth attitude on a public space like this. I lecture in Nigeria's Premier University and got my PhD seven years ago, but my monthly salary, basic plus allowances is N176,000. No professor earn N500,000 a month for your information.

Just as the bolded too are not true. I can tell you authoritatively too that with the first bolded, you can't earn less than N300,000 a month. I know this because I work in the cooperative office of one of Nigeria's university and I see their pay slip almost everyday. Even that of a professor is beyond what I have just quoted.

Please stop misinforming the public to gain their sympathy.
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Stylaay(m): 12:17am On Jul 25, 2013
Abegi NLC should eight for improved pay for civil servants our take home is poor. After this various associations finish deducting dues from civil servants salaries they will be living large and forget civil servanup are slaving for peanuts. Thats why there is corruption in the civil service.
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by Stylaay(m): 12:18am On Jul 25, 2013
Abegi NLC should eight for improved pay for civil servants our take home is poor. After this various associations finish deducting dues from civil servants salaries they will be living large and forget civil servants are slaving for peanuts. Thats why there is corruption in the civil service. Make i smoke my benson joor
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by adeboolusegun(m): 2:27am On Jul 25, 2013
In the coz of dis strike,who told u the lecturers won't b makin der money frm personal biz? Abegi if NLC shld join dis strike in order to solidaris for the Assu,beliv me na hungry go kill the lower income earner because can u tell me wot a lecturer who only lecture for 6hrs in a week does wt his time if not to take up biz,contract etc. Jst do wot u wana do because I must grad dis year. Even if odas agree,I trust my sku OAU den no send. Fada of strike.
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by scholes23(m): 8:15am On Jul 25, 2013
If unable strike, who go defend?
Re: NLC Threatens To Join ASUU Strike by bravetentewa(m): 8:20am On Jul 25, 2013
Acido sis: Wow, thats a very f00lish decision

ℓ̊ think U̶̲̥̅̊ hve a serious mental problem....
Why must you come to NL to show ur ignorance and illiteracy....the lecturers in questn here aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ not the ones demanding for money....part of the agreement ASUU reached with FG in 2009 was to provide capital for infrastructural development in our universities....

Most universities in nigeria do hve laboratories and whr U̶̲̥̅̊ find its eithr the non-functional and the chemicals available aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ the ones purchased during the erectn of the structures which could be decades past or the hve untrained lab assistants.....

A situatn whereby students stand for hours in lecture rooms due to ŊO̶̷̩̥̊͡ provision of seats and standard learning enviroment.....a state whr students use lightrs and stoves with outdated chemicals, glass cups instead of burettes and tripods for xperiments.....

Using imo state university as. a reference point....students most times hve to photocopy their xaminatn questn papers on their own......whn the pay huge sums of money for tuition fees.....

ASUU Ȋ̝̊̅§ fighting a. Just cause.....though ℓ̊ am few weeks away from M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ graduatn ℓ̊ am willing to stay and fight for wht Ȋ̝̊̅§ right......let's protect our future generatn.....let's not end up producing half baked graduates or infact non baked graduates.........the prof's hve reach the height of the career and anyday the retire can pickup political appoint eithr internally or internationally......

ASUU Comr Tentewa Ȋ̝̊̅§ 101% with U̶̲̥̅̊

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Magu: "Every Government Official Is Under Investigation Without Them Knowing" / Aisha Buhari Lays Foundation For 50-Bed Maternity Clinic In Katsina (Photos) / Mininum Wage: Ekiti To Commence Payment Of N30,000 This Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.