Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,687 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Let's Talk About Cooking Pots - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Let's Talk About Cooking Pots (6335 Views)

A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? / 10 Things You Didn't Know About Cooking With Garlic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk About Cooking Pots by bolorunfem(f): 4:10pm On May 26, 2008
I have 3 brands of cooking pots - Pardini (very thick), Tower (not so thick) and I've forgotten the name of the 3rd brand (coated inside with glass cover).

-   My Pardini pots are  ever  reliable, no sticks, no burns and no corossion
-   The coated type doesn't stick and doesn't burn but the coating peels off with use     though I don't wash it with iron sponge.
-   My tower pots produce some whitish, salt-like fungi  looking substance when not in use.Also, when kept in the fridge the portion above the soup/stew level also produces different color from that of the soup/stew shocked shocked (I fear food poisoning).

I gathered that Tower Alminium recycles old pots to make new and hence there products are  inferior.

My questions are: Can anyone recommend a brand of cooking pots that is rugged and reliable?

Is there a way I can prevent the ones I have from corroding?

([s]Oh how I miss the clay cooking pots my Momma used when I was growing up!!!)[/s] wink wink

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Cooking Pots by chika98: 8:20am On May 31, 2008
Calphalon are the best in my opinion. Expensive but worth every single penny
Re: Let's Talk About Cooking Pots by Fummiee(f): 7:28pm On Jun 01, 2008
Ikea pots are very durable. I use their pots, fry pans, knives, cutlery and even servittes.
Re: Let's Talk About Cooking Pots by kayowalemi(m): 1:58pm On Jun 02, 2008
Irrespective of the pot u are using most important thing is their

1. LEAD/SILVER content

2. Leaching rate of lead and other poisonous elements used in making those pots

3. When U use tomatoes a lot, expect the leaching to be faster, mind u am not saying tomatoes is not good. Infact I love it and I eat raw ONES. It hasten leaching because it is acidic in nature.

Now go and read what lead or silver AND OTHER POISONOUS ELEMENTS do to d brain if they gain entrance to it. If U are passionate about knowing it type in google search engine AGELESS AGEING. tHE BOOK WAS STOLEN FROM ME AND I WENT ONLINE TO GET ANOTHER.

If it were to be possible for us to go back to the era of clay pots I will be so glad.

Mind U, all I have written above is not to scare anybody. Continue to use ya pots if that all u have.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Cooking Pots by bolorunfem(f): 10:55am On Jun 04, 2008
@kayowalemi, thanks a bunch. Fresh tomatoes make 90%, while tatashe and rodo share the remaining 10% of my pepper for cooking. Now I know  shocked why my pots suffer lead/silver leaching going by your analysis. Hmn, goes into deep thought. I will go and  search for that book but in the meantime,  how does one identify the  pot with high  LEAD/SILVER content? Minimises nairaland web page and logs on  to google to find book wink
Re: Let's Talk About Cooking Pots by kayowalemi(m): 3:29pm On Jun 05, 2008
To know the pot with high or low lead/silver content is also ya duty to know by sourcing for info on them from internet. Ealier on, someone mentioned glass coated pot, glass doesn't react with food materials, if u can get it that will be the best.
Re: Let's Talk About Cooking Pots by tpia1: 8:27pm On Aug 28, 2014
bolorunfem:

([s]Oh how I miss the clay cooking pots my Momma used when I was growing up!!!)[/s] wink wink

why was your mum using clay cooking pots though?

just curious.

iron pots replaced the clay ones almost a century ago i should think.
Re: Let's Talk About Cooking Pots by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
...Try Master chef...it has glass cover...We started using it not long ago....so, i dont know much about it for now....

Also try Tower gold....it is very thick and strong.... We have been using it for years....yeah, i think i noticed too...it usually change colour.....whenever i notice stuff like that, i stop using the pot...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Bakers Apologise For Increasing Price Of Bread / Suya Spice Recipe? / CBN Facilitates Release Of 50,000 MT Of Maize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.