Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,362 members, 7,864,685 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 12:53 AM

Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice (13062 Views)

NASA Scientists Finds Message From God On Planet Mars / Totally Blind Mice Get Sight Back / Nigerian Scientists Develop Fuelless Generator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by Unluvable(f): 7:34pm On Jul 26, 2013
makahlj2: Humans play God, torture mice... sure sign that the end times are upon us.
Hope you know most drugs and cosmetics are tested on animals too. So I'll advise you to refrain from drugs, soap and cream so as to be free from all blame.
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by 0monnakoda: 7:54pm On Jul 26, 2013
Television Science! and very bad journalism
What they have demonstrated is "association" which is not quite the same as memory ,or a very crude form at best,especially as they are trying to extrapolate it with human false memory which usually involves significant detail and recollection eg memories of the Biafra War; who said what where etc. Associating "black" people with bad things is not quite the same as identifying OJ Simpson with his wife's killing. Unless the mouse can tell you its thoughts it is silly to talk about "implanting" memories. We have been using association to train dogs for ever since Pavlov and his dog. "Memory " in the human context requires more detail and specifics not the crude Peasure /aversion associations that are shown here
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by chinakanelson(m): 8:30pm On Jul 26, 2013
Haaaaaa I b won read am buh una don discourage me
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by chinakanelson(m): 8:32pm On Jul 26, 2013
Haaaaaa I b won read am buh una don discourage me
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by ceejayluv(m): 8:35pm On Jul 26, 2013
makahlj2: Humans play God, torture mice... sure sign that the end times are upon us.
Lock up!! Don't bring that Armageddon thrash here. . Many of the drugs you take were first tested on animals. What's playing "playing God" in that.?
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by ceejayluv(m): 8:35pm On Jul 26, 2013
Lock up!! Don't bring that Armageddon thrash here. . Many of the drugs you take were first tested on animals. What's "playing God" in that.?
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by Fomzy1: 10:03pm On Jul 26, 2013
Interesting
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by Frankenstein: 12:55am On Jul 27, 2013
This is so wonderful... I'll like to know how this is connected to De javu
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by babsomotde(m): 1:48am On Jul 27, 2013
Hm... Nice one sha!!!! Scientists are just too busy. Great pals. They love discovering things.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by Brite02(m): 10:02am On Jul 27, 2013
Make them no use play play introduce ZOMBIE tinx ooo
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by ciphoenix: 2:47pm On Jul 27, 2013
Bawss1: Brings to mind the movie Inception. It was based on the premise of planting ideas in people's minds.

Inception was more of interconnected lucid dreams
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by ciphoenix: 2:49pm On Jul 27, 2013
0monnakoda: Television Science! and very bad journalism
What they have demonstrated is "association" which is not quite the same as memory ,or a very crude form at best,especially as they are trying to extrapolate it with human false memory which usually involves significant detail and recollection eg memories of the Biafra War; who said what where etc. Associating "black" people with bad things is not quite the same as identifying OJ Simpson with his wife's killing. Unless the mouse can tell you its thoughts it is silly to talk about "implanting" memories. We have been using association to train dogs for ever since Pavlov and his dog. "Memory " in the human context requires more detail and specifics not the crude Peasure /aversion associations that are shown here

Considering it's an animal, that's how their memory is assessed.
There's still much work to be done if they're to apply it to humans
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by 0monnakoda: 8:01pm On Jul 27, 2013
ciphoenix:

Considering it's an animal, that's how their memory is assessed.
There's still much work to be done if they're to apply it to humans
Humans are not animals ? are they plants?
I am not sure what you mean What is animal memory ? can you define it and how is this different from Pavlov's Bell ringing salivation experiment?

The story claims they "implanted FALSE memories" what does that mean in the ANIMAL world
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by ciphoenix: 8:09am On Jul 28, 2013
0monnakoda:
Humans are not animals ? are they plants?
I am not sure what you mean What is animal memory ? can you define it and how is this different from Pavlov's Bell ringing salivation experiment?

The story claims they "implanted FALSE memories" what does that mean in the ANIMAL world

Humans are higher animals whose memory can be assessed by more advanced methods because they can express themselves in a more advanced way with specific details. For lower animals though, it's always crude (the assessment)
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by 0monnakoda: 1:06pm On Jul 28, 2013
ciphoenix:

Humans are higher animals whose memory can be assessed by more advanced methods because they can express themselves in a more advanced way with specific details. For lower animals though, it's always crude (the assessment)
Before you go far come back to earth and DEFINE memory. Without a working definition of memory we will go round in circles.
It is possible even to talk about memory in plants so really we must agree on what "memory" means.

Secondly the claim is about implanting "FALSE" memories so in order to talk about false we must know what memory is and what the concept of FALSE memories is all about.

Pavlov trained dogs to salivate to bell . Was this a case of planting a false memory?
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by ciphoenix: 6:13pm On Jul 28, 2013
0monnakoda:
Before you go far come back to earth and DEFINE memory. Without a working definition of memory we will go round in circles.
It is possible even to talk about memory in plants so really we must agree on what "memory" means.

Secondly the claim is about implanting "FALSE" memories so in order to talk about false we must know what memory is and what the concept of FALSE memories is all about.

1 a : the power or process of reproducing or recalling what has been learned and retained especially through associative mechanisms
b : the store of things learned and retained from an organism's activity or experience as evidenced by modification of structure or behavior or by recall and recognition
http://i.word.com/idictionary/memory

Pavlov trained dogs to salivate to bell . Was this a case of planting a false memory?
He implanted a new spatial memory, yes
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by 0monnakoda: 7:20pm On Jul 28, 2013
ciphoenix:

1 a : the power or process of reproducing or recalling what has been learned and retained especially through associative mechanisms
b : the store of things learned and retained from an organism's activity or experience as evidenced by modification of structure or behavior or by recall and recognition
http://i.word.com/idictionary/memory
According to your definition power or process of recalling does not need to be accurate as long as there is a process>

He implanted a new spatial memory, yes
Spatial? how is salivating to a bell spatial

I asked it it was false not new. There is nothing spatial about the dog salivating and I believe you are wasting my time
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by ciphoenix: 3:21am On Jul 29, 2013
0monnakoda: Spatial? how is salivating to a bell spatial

I asked it it was false not new. There is nothing spatial about the dog salivating and I believe you are wasting my time

Pavlov's wasn't false memory
Your point being ....
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by 0monnakoda: 3:56am On Jul 29, 2013
ciphoenix:

Your point being ....

My point is you have no point and are talking on an issue which you are clearly ignorant.You are saying nothing absolutely nothing.
Once again how is salivating to a bell an example of spatial memory

We should be very careful to talk with confidence and certainty on things for which there is very little evidence

These scientists claim to have implanted "false" memory .Their experiment is no different from that of Pavlov in so far as is appears to make secondary associations between stimuli and response. Whether the response is based on MEMORY or just reflexes is an assumption or speculation since animals cannot tell us whether they "remember" . Dogs kept alive on machines with their brains removed can be made to salivate,produce erections etc in response to environmental stimuli. Is this memory?

There is nothing new or earth shatttering here. Animals can be trained to respond with fear to ropes because they look like snakes , does this amount to a false memory? If we say the Pavlov situation is not a "false" memory what makes the situation described by these guys any diffferent?
By the way I use the word "false" in relation to memory cautiously .You seem to have a very clear idea what a false memory is or is not though I am not sure the basis for this
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by ciphoenix: 1:29pm On Jul 29, 2013
0monnakoda:

Whether the response is based on MEMORY or just reflexes is an assumption or speculation since animals cannot tell us whether they "remember"
This is exactly why I pointed out the assessment of the memory of an animal is limited unlike humans so they have the right to take it they implanted "false" memories.

Dogs kept alive on machines with their brains removed can be made to salivate,produce erections etc in response to environmental stimuli. Is this memory?
No it isn't and that’s different from this very case.

There is nothing new or earth shatttering here. Animals can be trained to respond with fear to ropes because they look like snakes , does this amount to a false memory?
I never said it was earth shattering. Was only pointing out that they're not entirely wrong to call it a memory since we can't clearly assess memory in animals. Maybe you got me wrong
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by ciphoenix: 1:33pm On Jul 29, 2013
ciphoenix:

Your point being ....

EDIT: Pavlov's wasn't false memory?
Your point being ....

Perhaps the missing punctuation sent a wrong message
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by 0monnakoda: 2:01pm On Jul 29, 2013
I think this exchange has exhausted its useful life
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by ciphoenix: 3:01pm On Jul 29, 2013
mhmmm
Re: Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice by Anuoluwap(m): 1:09pm On Aug 21, 2013
Moderator this topic should be suitable for frontpage now., www.nairaland.com/1404370/latest-inventions-nubrella-funny-looking-hands-free

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs / Www.bbchausa.com / Read Fresh News In Hausa Language / Near-death Experiences "Explained"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.